PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2008, 08:27 AM
For all of his whining about Phil Jackson showing his team up earlier this season by calling timeouts, it sure was interesting to see that D'Antoni kept his regular crew on the floor last night even after Pop waved the white flag.

Maybe Pop should have yelled down at Mike, whining about being shown up.

ancestron
04-10-2008, 09:24 AM
What do you expect. D'antoni is an ass. He's the guy that brings the good beer to the party, drinks it all himself, breaks your stereo, starts a fight with your friend, pisses on your wall and crashes his car going home after you kick him out.

41times
04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
MikeDamFoni - worst coach ever of a good team. The main reason that they will Never win a title as long as he is there.

RonMexico
04-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I agree with you. Why he did that is beyond me. Especially after the little Bowen-Amare tiff, he had a perfect opportunity to let Tucker, Strawberry, Marks and others join in the fun on the win.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm indifferent on D'Antoni's choice as it affects the Spurs -- I was kind of glad to see him keep the starters in there and not allow the Spurs to make a little late run to make the score look more respectable.

I just thought it was funny to see him do that after all of his very public whining about getting shown up by Phil's timeout.

Gino
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Ah yes...the proverbial "we might have lost, but youre team is class-less" thread.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Ah yes...the proverbial "we might have lost, but youre team is class-less" thread.

Not at all what I said. But if it gives you that false feeling that you're actually adding something, then by all means, feel free to create whatever facts suit your beliefs.

Xylus
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
D'Antoni always leaves his starters in too long. It's not because he's classless, it's because he's extremely paranoid about losing leads. It's why guys like Nash, Hill, and Shaq tend to play far too many minutes.

remingtonbo2001
04-10-2008, 11:30 AM
What do you expect. D'antoni is an ass. He's the guy that brings the good beer to the party, drinks it all himself, breaks your stereo, starts a fight with your friend, pisses on your wall and crashes his car going home after you kick him out.

:lmao

RonMexico
04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Honestly, it's probably not something that even crossed his mind. A double digit lead with 2 minutes left should be safe... I mean, the Suns aren't Memphis. I just don't know if he thinks like that out there.

Rick Carlisle made a point at halftime that he was impressed Mike D'Antoni trusted Amare Stoudemire in the final minutes of the first half not to pick up his 3rd foul. My thought at the time: "You're giving D'Antoni way too much credit there, Rick... the thought probably never crossed his mind."

Which, btw, we've seen a lot of times with him leaving Shaq and Amare in there too long and they pick up an unfortunate 3rd foul.

sabar
04-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm glad they were left in so our reserves couldn't make a run and make the score look closer than it actually was. Phx should have run it to a 30 pt lead, we deserved it.

Harry Callahan
04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
The coach with the big mouth and oversized teeth is what he is. The forward who fires his agents regularly because he does not get enough publicity is what he is. A-holes through and though.

The Amare thing last night sickens me - why even put the screen on Bowen after the outcome is decided. Then he whines and cries to ESPN after the game about Bowen again - whole thing was so unnecessary. Just win the game and get out of there. He has to be the drama queen again.

The Suns have too many punks in their organization. They will eventually fail in the playoffs again. Their time is running out.

balli
04-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Seriously. Not all of you, but a lot of you Spurs fans are so fucking lame and entitled about this shit. This is the same shit that was said after UT kicked your asses. Just becasue Pop throws in the towel doesn't mean the other coach has to. Again, this isn't some girls CYO league and running up the score doesn't exist in professional sports. All of you crying bitches need to get over it.

BillsCarnage
04-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Like clock work at Spurs talk.

balli
04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
The Amare thing last night sickens me - why even put the screen on Bowen after the outcome is decided.

In fact, why play at all. Maybe the suns just should have let the 24 second clock expire every time they had the ball. I mean the game was decided right? They didn't need to score more to win. Dude, STFU. This is the NBA. You are bitching because the Suns had the audacity to set a screen while there was still game being played? Give me a fucking break.

BiZNicK
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Everyone whines and complains...its part of the game. It's easy for you all to criticize from your couches, but I'm pretty sure that if you are actually a PART of the game there is a lot more emotion involved..Anyway, my point being...everyone does it, nothing new here.

Harry Callahan
04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
In fact, why play at all. Maybe the suns just should have let the 24 second clock expire every time they had the ball. I mean the game was decided right? They didn't need to score more to win. Dude, STFU. This is the NBA. You are bitching because the Suns had the audacity to set a screen while there was still game being played? Give me a fucking break.

Hey retard, don't dude me. You have no clue. Go watch the Hawks get eliminated in the first round - I will not shut up as this is a Spurs board. I suppose the Hawks don't have a board (crickets)?

The game was over. The suns could have put in the bench, run out the clock, and gone home. The Spurs do that all the time. D'antoni is too stupid to do that (West Virginia white trash).

Pop had already pulled his players.

This is often done in the NBA (you may not be aware of that). Amare has to pull a stunt and bring attention to himself again.

My point is the game was over the screen was unnecessary. I wish Bowen would have tripped and fallen into amare's knees. Then maybe they would learn.

Go get high and go watch the Hawks turdhead.

balli
04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey retard, don't dude me. You have no clue. Go watch the Hawks get eliminated in the first round - I will not shut up as this is a Spurs board. I suppose the Hawks don't have a board (crickets)?

Go watch the Hawks.

Ah the last refuge of a total fucking idiot; when your argument sucks make fun of the other posters' team. Suck a pole callahan.

Harry Callahan
04-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Ah the last refuge of a total fucking idiot; when your argument sucks make fun of the other posters' team. Suck a pole callahan.

Wow! My comment must have hurt to get that reaction - using the F work and telling me to commit a lewd act.

Your profile says you are in your twenties and that is what you come up with? Grow up.

I am far from an idiot. I'm not so sure about you.

Clear the bench. It's that simple.

Go smoke your weed and cloud your judgement some more.

balli
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Wow! My comment must have hurt to get that reaction - using the F work and telling me to commit a lewd act.

Your profile says you are in your twenties and that is what you come up with? Grow up.

I am far from an idiot. I'm not so sure about you.

Clear the bench. It's that simple.

Waaaaaahhhh. My name is Harry Callahan. I think that every team, every night should let the Spurs win. If they can't do that, they should at least make the loss as easy as possible for them. I mean this is the motherfucking Spurs. When are the rest of the teams in the NBA going to realize that and start showing proper respect? I mean who the fuck dares to set picks when they are leading the game? Seriously, who the fuck does that? I think the Suns should have stopped playing. They just should have run out every 24 second clock or asked the refs to call the game. Trying to score points while there's time on the clock? Who the fuck does that? I mean, the Spurs had already lost right? They didn't deserve to sit there and watch it continue. Even our own coach gave up, why didn't they? I mean, it's the fucking spurs we're talking about people! Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Waaaaahhhhh. Waaaaahhhhh.

Oh well. I guess I'll just go make fun of peoples' lifestyle choices and the teams they root for. Waaaahhhhh. Waaahh :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

All Seeing Eye
04-10-2008, 01:05 PM
My point is the game was over the elbow to the ribcage was unnecessary.

fixed.

Harry Callahan
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Ballijuana,
Five f words in your last post at me. Is that what you pass off as a measured, rational response?

Maybe you need to make some different "lifestyle choices" and check yourself into rehab or therapy or both as soon as possible.

All I stated is Phoenix could have handled the situation differently last night and not been chumps. That's all.

You have gone off on several profanity laced tirades. Get some help. I think you need it.

ancestron
04-10-2008, 01:26 PM
@%$%%!@#$@#%#$@#$@%&#*@&#$&$%!!!!!!

Mitch Cumsteen
04-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't really have a problem with D'Antoni playing his starters at the end last night. It looked like the Spurs subbed in the scrubs, and there wasn't another dead ball for Mike D to get his starters out of there. I didn't think it was poor sportsmanship, and it wasn't like they were jacking 3s at the end of the game. I think if there was a dead ball, then the starters would've come out.

However, I think a team takes on the personality of its coach, and Mike D's constant whining about the refs and his spastic sideline theatrics distract his team. If D'Antoni would just shut up and coach his team, they would have a better chance in the playoffs. You can't act like a jackass on fire, and then expect your team to remain composed when Robert Horry checks Steve Nash into the scorers table.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Seriously. Not all of you, but a lot of you Spurs fans are so fucking lame and entitled about this shit. This is the same shit that was said after UT kicked your asses. Just becasue Pop throws in the towel doesn't mean the other coach has to. Again, this isn't some girls CYO league and running up the score doesn't exist in professional sports. All of you crying bitches need to get over it.

Again, my point was simply to note D'Antoni's hypocrisy. He whined like a baby at Phil Jackson "showing up" the Suns by calling a timeout (to clear a mandatory timeout) with the Lakers blowing out the Suns in Phoenix earlier this season.

It's not whining (at least not from me) and it's not about entitlement -- I (as the thread starter) have already said that the Spurs deserved to get it run up on them last night and they didn't deserve a chance to make it look better in the boxscore. But, still, D'Antoni certainly doesn't seem to appreciate it when other teams show his team up at home, leaving me to wonder if the dude isn't a hypocrite to some degree.

Observational juxtaposition strikes me as a relatively common form of conversation about things that many people are interested in. I suppose I should only really comment on inconsistencies that are negative to the Spurs or those that are positive for other teams -- I wouldn't want to be perceived as a whiner, after all.

Xylus
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
However, I think a team takes on the personality of its coach, and Mike D's constant whining about the refs and his spastic sideline theatrics distract his team. If D'Antoni would just shut up and coach his team, they would have a better chance in the playoffs. You can't act like a jackass on fire, and then expect your team to remain composed when Robert Horry checks Steve Nash into the scorers table.
This is a good point. It's not only a coach's job to make all of the in-game decisions, substitutions, plays, etc.-- It's also his job to be a model citizen, the face of the franchise even if he isn't that well-known. A coach's personality and demeanor are infectious, and a mentally-soft coach begets a mentally-soft team.

Kermit
04-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Again, my point was simply to note D'Antoni's hypocrisy. He whined like a baby at Phil Jackson "showing up" the Suns by calling a timeout (to clear a mandatory timeout) with the Lakers blowing out the Suns in Phoenix earlier this season.

It's not whining (at least not from me) and it's not about entitlement -- I (as the thread starter) have already said that the Spurs deserved to get it run up on them last night and they didn't deserve a chance to make it look better in the boxscore. But, still, D'Antoni certainly doesn't seem to appreciate it when other teams show his team up at home, leaving me to wonder if the dude isn't a hypocrite to some degree.

Observational juxtaposition strikes me as a relatively common form of conversation about things that many people are interested in. I suppose I should only really comment on inconsistencies that are negative to the Spurs or those that are positive for other teams -- I wouldn't want to be perceived as a whiner, after all.

It's not your fault. He's high.

DAINTX
04-10-2008, 02:42 PM

I gotta agree. Too GD much whining. I can't stand it when other teams do it...and I sure as hell don't like it when Spurs fans do it. We got our asses kicked. Shaq, Amare, Nash, etc. kicked our butts. They were too much for us last night. But let's not be pussies about it. Spurs players rarely whine. Spurs fans are starting to get too comfortable with it. I don't want to be like Phoenix in that regard.

sunsbum
04-10-2008, 03:00 PM
The Amare thing last night sickens me - why even put the screen on Bowen after the outcome is decided.

yea what a dumbass, he should have just stopped playing basketball alltogether at that point.

dantoni always leaves the starters in late.

Jeremy
04-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Actually, Skinner and Giricek were waiting to check in for the last couple of minutes of the game, but there was no stop in play. D'antoni could have called a timeout to sub them in, but other than that, he wasn't trying to keep Amare and Nash in.

koriwhat
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
honestly.... run the other team into the ground and step on their throats! that's my motto. it sucks the spurs lost but if i was a coach i would had run the score up until the last second because you def want to show your opponent you mean business. i don't care for this pussy "class-less" title bs when it comes to running the score up. d'antoni is an ass but whatever i would had done the same.

koriwhat
04-10-2008, 03:48 PM

oh shut up already... i'm so sick of all these high and mighty people downing others because of their choice to smoke herb. get over it already! maybe you need to smoke a joint so you can step back and checkout how inflated your ego has become.

"you smoke marijuana... you are a moron... a drug user who knows nothing... you should go to rehab where druggies belong because you are a loser."

maybe you should take your own advice and grow the fuck up too.
:smokin

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
honestly.... run the other team into the ground and step on their throats! that's my motto. it sucks the spurs lost but if i was a coach i would had run the score up until the last second because you def want to show your opponent you mean business. i don't care for this pussy "class-less" title bs when it comes to running the score up. d'antoni is an ass but whatever i would had done the same.

And, again, my point was entirely about D'Antoni whining when he perceived that Phil Jackson was doing it, while doing it himself. I don't give a crap if he keeps his starters on the floor until the bitter end every night -- what I think is bogus is his whining earlier this year.

koriwhat
04-10-2008, 03:56 PM
And, again, my point was entirely about D'Antoni whining when he perceived that Phil Jackson was doing it, while doing it himself. I don't give a crap if he keeps his starters on the floor until the bitter end every night -- what I think is bogus is his whining earlier this year.

i hear ya bro... hypocrisy is bs. you can't whine and then do the same exact shit you were whining about earlier. i hear ya. totally agree.

T Park
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
I see Suns fan is gettin cocky again.

What the hell, they actually have a team that will legitimately win this year.

Harry Callahan
04-10-2008, 04:39 PM
oh shut up already... i'm so sick of all these high and mighty people downing others because of their choice to smoke herb. get over it already! maybe you need to smoke a joint so you can step back and checkout how inflated your ego has become.

"you smoke marijuana... you are a moron... a drug user who knows nothing... you should go to rehab where druggies belong because you are a loser."

maybe you should take your own advice and grow the fuck up too.
:smokin

So, I should take illegal drugs so I can grow up. Brilliant. Then you throw in an F Bomb.

I am grown up already. You don't know me. You know nothing about my ego.

Listen, if you don't have kids yet, please get yourself fixed. That way my kids won't have to support your kids in 20 years - they won't have a chance with an "enlightened" parent like you. My guess is you vote for the :donkey party.

LavaLamp
04-10-2008, 05:08 PM

I agree with you 100%. I wish Pop was our coach for that and a number of other reasons.

JMarkJohns
04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
For all his improvements on the court, I'm just so sick of D'Antoni I could lose my mind if he costs the Suns this postseason like he did last. I'm fully expecting him to, not that the expectations will help to limit the rage within my mind. I don't even know what to do. Not watch? Watch and risk going skitso again? Watch, but not care? Is that possible? Ugh...

JamStone
04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
This is silly. I thought most Spurs fans have the attitude of "if you don't like it, don't get blown out." It's not like D'Antoni called a time out just to do an Irish jig at half court to mock the Spurs. He left his starters in with a big lead. Big deal. Don't get down 20 points and he can't do that.

JamStone
04-10-2008, 05:35 PM
i hear ya bro... hypocrisy is bs. you can't whine and then do the same exact shit you were whining about earlier. i hear ya. totally agree.

It wasn't the same exact shit though.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2008, 06:01 PM
This is silly. I thought most Spurs fans have the attitude of "if you don't like it, don't get blown out." It's not like D'Antoni called a time out just to do an Irish jig at half court to mock the Spurs. He left his starters in with a big lead. Big deal. Don't get down 20 points and he can't do that.

sigh.

T Park
04-10-2008, 06:38 PM
:lol

FWD, its like trying to explain something to me for over 40 some odd posts :lol

phyzik
04-10-2008, 06:55 PM

+1

I hate the loss but if Spurs, or any team, cant keep from getting blown out then they deserve every bit of it.

Gino
04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
BUMP!!!

So I DVR'ed this game last night and decided to see if FromWayDowntown's claim had any weight. Here's what ACTUALLY happened:

With little over 3 minutes to go, Spurs call timeout. Coming out of the timeout, the Spurs subbed in Bonner among other players.

The game started back up and D'Antoni IMMEDIATELY signaled Brian Skinner and Gordon Giriciek to go in (probably for Nash and Stoudemire). Suns were already playing Barbosa and Diaw at the time, so DAntoni planned on keeping Raja Bell as his only starter.

There wasn't a SINGLE dead ball the rest of the game. No out of bounds, no fouls, no timeouts. Skinner and Giricieck sat at the scorers table for the final three minutes.

FromWayDowntown seems like a well respected poster, but he was wrong on this one. As soon as D'Antoni saw that the Spurs were giving up, he subbed in his bench players.

Manure Ginosely
04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
lol @ this thread you fucking babies.

Gino
04-10-2008, 10:05 PM
BUMP!!!

So I DVR'ed this game last night and decided to see if FromWayDowntown's claim had any weight. Here's what ACTUALLY happened:

With little over 3 minutes to go, Spurs call timeout. Coming out of the timeout, the Spurs subbed in Bonner among other players.

The game started back up and D'Antoni IMMEDIATELY signaled Brian Skinner and Gordon Giriciek to go in (probably for Nash and Stoudemire). Suns were already playing Barbosa and Diaw at the time, so DAntoni planned on keeping Raja Bell as his only starter.

There wasn't a SINGLE dead ball the rest of the game. No out of bounds, no fouls, no timeouts. Skinner and Giricieck sat at the scorers table for the final three minutes.

FromWayDowntown seems like a well respected poster, but he was wrong on this one. As soon as D'Antoni saw that the Spurs were giving up, he subbed in his bench players.

Bump...no ones got anything to say?

Stabbin' Cabin
04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
D'Antoni does that all the time. Making fun of him at this point is pretty much beating a dead horse since Suns fans will agree with you. We know Nash is the coach and D'Antoni gets paid to be the guy that stands on the sidelines and yells at refs all game.

JackArse
04-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Actually, Skinner and Giricek were waiting to check in for the last couple of minutes of the game, but there was no stop in play. D'antoni could have called a timeout to sub them in, but other than that, he wasn't trying to keep Amare and Nash in.
that and barbosa and diaw were already on the floor.

damn.. that F5 is a bitch, didn't see what gino wrote. carry on, there's nothing to see here. :)

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:43 PM
BUMP!!!

Why didn't he sub them in as soon as Bonner and them were put in?

BTW, I was there, and Bonner, Jones and the rest were standing there all in FULL VIEW, and D'Antoni saw it and kept them in.

not until was the ball put in play did he try and put those two in.

So once again that point is invalid.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:44 PM
+1

I hate the loss but if Spurs, or any team, cant keep from getting blown out then they deserve every bit of it.

Theres a big difference, and if you can't see it, then theres no hope for you.

cly2tw
04-11-2008, 12:26 AM
He always does that, never trusting players not in his regular rotation of 7-8. DA is too nervous during the game, and just too myopic for a coach.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-11-2008, 01:15 AM

I was actually quite impressed with D'antoni's post game quotes after the Spurs/Suns game. He actually came off as classy, and didn't gloat at all like I figured he would.

So I wouldn't doubt that he planned on pulling the starters.

DazedAndConfused
04-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Actually none of the Suns players gloated about the win. Even Amare was very respectful about the Spurs saying their franchise was where the Suns aspired to be this season. This is more about the Spurs fans getting in a tizzy because they got blown out than D'Antoni being a jackass, which he is.

to21
04-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Actually none of the Suns players gloated about the win. Even Amare was very respectful about the Spurs saying their franchise was where the Suns aspired to be this season. This is more about the Spurs fans getting in a tizzy because they got blown out than D'Antoni being a jackass, which he is.Exactly, I think the kid is a BEAST, if he would stop with all the "Black Jesus" shit, he would/could be the best.