PDA

View Full Version : Can the Spurs beat the Suns in Seven

carib
04-10-2008, 09:44 AM
SAN ANTONIO (AP)—It may or may not have been a playoff preview, but the Phoenix Suns played—and talked—as if their game against the San Antonio Spurs was taking place during the postseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Ahk5ni_P8.9R3r6qmEoaUHw5nYcB?gid=200804 0924&prov=ap

So I ask the question can they beat the Suns in 7

fusionjazzman72
04-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Not after last night

ambchang
04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
The Spurs have been playing quite listless against top competition this year, and the trend is quite puzzling. They seem to be able to dominate weaker teams, but against good teams, the Spurs just make mistake after mistake, with questionable substitutions and execution. It is as if the team wanted to lose.

However, even with only 4 games to go, I am confident the Spurs will be full-strength comes the playoffs. This will be a different team in the postseason as history indicates.

1Parker1
04-10-2008, 10:33 AM
No and on top of that, they've given all the confidence in the world to the Suns. Kind of like the 06 Mavs....

Budkin
04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Without a doubt.

lefty
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
We'll be them in 5.

wildchild
04-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Not after last night

C'mon, dude. BELIEVE!

We are not crybaby mavs fans. We aren't pussy suns fans.

WE ARE SPURS FAN! damn it.

We beat the Suns not in seven, in 6!

Spurs 4 Suns 2. remember!

BELIEVE!!!

spursfan09
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Ofcourse they can. The Suns do not play defense. Spurs need to pick up thier offensive game.

WalterBenitez
04-10-2008, 12:05 PM
7 years?

Harry Callahan
04-10-2008, 12:05 PM
They need more shooters to spead the Scums out. And yes they can beat them. The Suns are older than the Spurs when it comes to most of their key guys, particularly Nash, Hill, and lard ass.

The pace must pick up and Number 20 for the Silver and Black must be full bore.

hater
04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
they can. is it likely? nope

shelshor
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Spurs will be more focused in the playoffs and much less lackadaisical.
And Duhmare's attention span is too short to pay attention in a 6 or 7 game series

BillsCarnage
04-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Ofcourse they can. The Suns do not play defense. Spurs need to pick up thier offensive game.

You keep telling yourself that. The Suns led last nights game in defensive stats.

Now when the Spurs do that you all tout their mighty D, yet when the Suns do it the Spurs choked. Very few of you Spurs fans are able to watch the Suns on a regular basis, but their D has improved overall since they started clicking w/ Shaq.

Although i'd be surprised if the Spurs/Suns even met in the PO's as the Suns could grab the 3 seed and possibly meet the Rockets in the 1st round, then NO. Spurs could end up #5.

TampaDude
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Spurs own Suns in playoffs...'nuff said...Spurs in 5, maybe 6.

peskypesky
04-10-2008, 01:15 PM

They can beat the Suns in 6.

All Seeing Eye
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
No. Spurts get swept.

peskypesky
04-10-2008, 01:18 PM
No. Spurts get swept.

lol. yeah, right. lol

samikeyp
04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Can they? Yes.

Will they? Not the way they played in the second half last night.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Can they? Yes.

Will they? Not the way they played in the second half last night.
+1

NASHville
04-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Sure the Spurs can beat the Suns in Seven but the real question is WILL they? The Spurs are lacking that championship swagger and if they don't snap out of it and get it together they will be gone fishing faster than Manu is losing his hair. Make no mistake about it. The Suns know this is their chance, their time, their destiny. Spurs fans need to break out the sun block 'cause the Suns are on fire!!

BiZNicK
04-10-2008, 01:26 PM
No shit they can. Spurs can adjust, and will adjust. Spurs in 6 again.

DazedAndConfused
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Spurs own Suns in playoffs...'nuff said...Spurs in 5, maybe 6.

2008 Suns != 2007 Suns

You're looking like a complete fool by dismissing the Suns so easily.

spursfan09
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
You keep telling yourself that. The Suns led last nights game in defensive stats.

Now when the Spurs do that you all tout their mighty D, yet when the Suns do it the Spurs choked. Very few of you Spurs fans are able to watch the Suns on a regular basis, but their D has improved overall since they started clicking w/ Shaq.

Although i'd be surprised if the Spurs/Suns even met in the PO's as the Suns could grab the 3 seed and possibly meet the Rockets in the 1st round, then NO. Spurs could end up #5.

i will keep telling myself that, because the Spurs offense sucked. I will credit some of that to the Suns, but the Suns weren't there in the past 2 or 3 games where Spurs have yet to hit 80 points. They Spurs offense sucks. If we can get key guys back for the playoffs and spurs play consistently than I like our chances against you guys.

dbreiden83080
04-10-2008, 01:44 PM
If Manu plays like Manu and we get some production from our DAMN bench then hell yes we can.

Fabbs
04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I think the Spurs can overcome Popavitch and prevail.
It won't be easy, but they have in the past.

Xylus
04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
It all depends on how badly the Spurs want it. Right now, I'd say the Suns have the advantage in any series, based on how effectively Shaq plays against Duncan, and how bad the Spurs bench is right now.

Also, based on the way these two teams have played each other this year, it really seems like the Suns want it more than the Spurs do. Last night was a must-win game for both teams (as far as seeding goes), and the Spurs came out in the 2nd half with half the hunger that the Suns displayed.

I know the Spurs have owned us for awhile now, but this is the first year where I've felt really good about our chances against your team.

I'll say Suns in 7.

SenorSpur
04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
The past three games have exposed flaws at both ends.

TampaDude
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
You're looking like a complete fool by dismissing the Spurs so easily.

Fixed it for ya... :lol

Manu_Ginobili
04-10-2008, 02:03 PM
SAN ANTONIO (AP)—It may or may not have been a playoff preview, but the Phoenix Suns played—and talked—as if their game against the San Antonio Spurs was taking place during the postseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Ahk5ni_P8.9R3r6qmEoaUHw5nYcB?gid=200804 0924&prov=ap

YES, WITHOUT A DOUBT WE CAN BEAT THEM!!! THE SPURS SIMPLY WANT TO AVOID THE MAVS IN THE 1ST ROUND AND THE BEST WAY TO DO THAT WAS TO LOSE LAST NIGHT AND STICK THE SUNS FOE BEING NUMBER 5, AND THE ROCKETS NUMBER 6...

GO SPURS!!! GO MANU!!!

koriwhat
04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
personally i think pop is still trying to figure out who is gonna get 1-12 on the roster come playoff time. i've never seen pop raise the white flag as much as he's done in the last couple weeks. i think it's all strategy and i know the spurs will def be a beast in the post season.

Cry Havoc
04-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Since when did this team give a hoot about the regular season? Do you guys remember how Denver used to beat us every single year until the postseason started, where we would run them the hell off the court?

Watch Parker play. He's going at half-speed. Pop told him to lay off to save his health for the playoffs. Not to mention that Pop NEVER tips his hand before the real season begins.

Spurs in 6. Again. If they play each other.

peskypesky
04-10-2008, 04:20 PM
The Suns know this is their chance, their time, their destiny. Spurs fans need to break out the sun block 'cause the Suns are on fire!!

Umm, didn't your mighty Suns just get bitch-slapped at home by Dallas a few DAYS ago?

DAF86
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
The question should be: Can the Suns beat the Spurs in seven? 'Cuase they haven't yet.
Memo to all the spurs fans: Stop worring so much 'bout regular season games. It's like you don't know your team.

michaelwcho
04-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, given that Duncan and Ginobili are playoff gods, not to mention Horry and Parker have done okay at times, I would say we still have the advantage. The problem for Spurs fans is that the advantage seems to be getting slimmer and slimmer. It's not easy to win 4 playoff series like that.

tp2021
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
They seem to be able to dominate weaker teams, but against good teams, the Spurs just make mistake after mistake, with questionable substitutions and execution.

sounds like a .500 team to me.

how disappointing. i think that the spurs are still potentially capable of being as good or better than last year, yet i wonder if that is enough to keep up with the rest of the league. i still Believe, but if for some reason they don't win the championship, we have a lot of cap space to play around with this summer. sometimes spurs fans talk as if this is the only season we'll be able to compete in, and we have to win now. we still have tim, which makes us contenders now, and for many seasons to come. we can't win them all, but we can win most of them.

Allanon
04-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I have a feeling this question will be answered sooner than later. With a deadlock for spots #2-6, Manu's injury, I think the Suns move up to #3 and Spurs move down to #6. There's only a 1 loss difference between #2-#6.

The Manu injury is a huge, huge blow. Probably will have to asterik* the Sunday game versus the Lakers...damn! I was looking forward to this game with both teams at full strength.

the season can end like this:

1. Hornets
2. Lakers
3. Jazz
4. Suns
5. Spurs
6. Rockets
7. Mavs

or
1. Hornets
2. Lakers
3. Suns
4. Jazz
5. Rockets
6. Spurs

T Park
04-10-2008, 05:28 PM
No.

Suns would win in 6.

slayermin
04-10-2008, 06:27 PM
It will be a repeat of the series against Dallas in '06. The Spurs will have to fight tooth and nail to even force a game seven at this point. And that's if the referees call a fair series. If the Suns get all the calls, we have no chance.

T Park
04-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Thats prob true, against Dallas, Phoenix, New Orleans.

dg7md
04-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Not really seeing it, the Spurs have less intensity on their side since they won the championship, while Phoenix knows Nash isn't getting younger and are on a role.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:01 PM
No, PHX is the most dangerous team in westren confrence believe it or not...

T Park
04-10-2008, 07:07 PM

I believe it.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I believe it.

Sarcasm, i like it....

peskypesky
04-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Wrong.

dav4463
04-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Spurs win it 4 if they play like they should.

cly2tw
04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Last year, I put the Suns chance in the Spurs' series at 20-30%. This year, I'd give the Suns 70% chance to win against Spurs in PO. The main reason for this confidence is that Suns can cover TD with Shaq, while the paint is harder to penetrate for Parker and Manu with Shaq in the middle.

pooh
04-11-2008, 04:18 AM
Get the same refs who "gave" away last years series, yes...the Spurs will win. But this is a different Spurs team. They're barely over .500 (21-18) on the road, that's not going to get it done.

They'll make it out of the first round but that's it. The playoffs last until December it seems.

twincam
04-11-2008, 08:47 AM

Oh God, these posts again?! As I've always told EVERYONE with negative remarks, WAIT AND SEE. ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

twincam
04-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh God, these posts again?! As I've always told EVERYONE with negative remarks, WAIT AND SEE. ONLY TIME WILL TELL. Do you honestly think that the Spurs or ANY NBA team will win every home game? They've only lost 7 at home which is outstanding, yet they lose to the Suns and all of a sudden EVERYONE hits the panic button. It's called a bad shooting night. Every team will go through it. Relax and enjoy the post season or simply bail out.

MadDog73
04-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Here's my list of the most difficult Spurs opponents:

Hornets - they are going to the WCF.

Suns - they match up well with us, Shaq was a good addition in that it forces people to play Amare one-on-one, which is impossible.

Lakers - Will love to face the Spurs in the playoffs again.

And, with the Spurs luck, we'll have to face these three teams to make it to the Finals...

against a very good Celtic team.

Let's not pull any punches: These are the most difficult Playoffs I've ever seen.

word
04-11-2008, 09:21 AM
There's no telling what is going to happen. Spurs don't appear very hungry and their shooting is just atrocious but...BUT...they turn that around and start making shots again and get the offense productive their chances are as good as anyones. If the offensive slump continues...yeah, they're done.

Honestly I don't see, at this point, Phoenix OR San Antonio winning the west. I think for the Suns to take out the Spurs or at least out last 'em is a 'moral victory' for them but we now have their usual problem ....a shit bench.

If Utah can sack up and win some road games they are damn near unbeatable in SLC. There's just no telling what is going to happen but it's going to be fun to watch.

Rummpd
04-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Yes. Playoff basketball is totallly different.

carib
04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
If the Suns go on to beat the Spurs and make it to the Finals what is there to say about Shaq. Please don't say it would not happen, any team can win the West.

I would say Shaq stepped up to the call.

But on the other hand we have CIA Pop.

SAGambler
04-11-2008, 10:35 AM
If the Spurs offense picks up, and they start raining 3s like they were earlier in the season, Spurs will be difficult to contend with.

If not, Spurs could go out in first round.

I think it boils down to the offense we get from Manu and Finley.

The only other thing I think about, is that we only have Vaughn to run the show when Tony sits. And that's a bad thing.

BonnerDynasty
04-11-2008, 10:37 AM
The idiotic Vaughn hate continues.

jmard5
04-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Since when did this team give a hoot about the regular season? Do you guys remember how Denver used to beat us every single year until the postseason started, where we would run them the hell off the court?

Watch Parker play. He's going at half-speed. Pop told him to lay off to save his health for the playoffs. Not to mention that Pop NEVER tips his hand before the real season begins.

I agree. I have this feeling that Pop is hiding his cards before playoffs.

Gino
04-11-2008, 11:23 AM
I agree. I have this feeling that Pop is hiding his cards before playoffs.

I don't think so. I think the Spurs just aren't getting enough offense from their role players.

Ronaldo McDonald
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM

They have after the all-star break every single year. They make it a point every year to go into the playoffs with a lot of momentum and this year it isn't happening.

And it's not because of rest, or because we don't give a shit. It's because every other game is a difficult game to win and it just isn't as easy to win in the past (regardless of health), and because we're injured.

The days of being able to beat everyone before the season ends are over. For now anyways.

All Seeing Eye
04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
They have after the all-star break every single year. They make it a point every year to go into the playoffs with a lot of momentum and this year it isn't happening.

And it's not because of rest, or because we don't give a shit. It's because every other game is a difficult game to win and it just isn't as easy to win in the past (regardless of health), and because we're injured.

The days of being able to beat everyone before the season ends are over. For now anyways.

Indeed. You know it's not that the Spurs suck so much but that the competition has certainly gotten better.

Ronaldo McDonald
04-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Indeed. You know it's not that the Spurs suck so much but that the competition has certainly gotten better.

Yea, but that's not the sole reason. Injuries have plagued our team all year, like I said. It would still be tough w/o injuries , but still, I think we'd have put together a nice run at the end of the season and had a far better record against the good teams than we do at this point if we had Barry and Horry.

I believe we actually have a better team than last year if we're healthy. It's too bad we can't get healthy and show it though. If we're healthy like last year we're the best team without quesiton.

Man of Steel
04-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Remember the Cavs and their regular season success against the Spurs?

Spurs in 6 (if Suns get that far)

dg7md
04-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Remember the Cavs and their regular season success against the Spurs?

Spurs in 6 (if Suns get that far)

You can't really compare the Cavaliers to the Suns.

carib
04-12-2008, 04:55 PM
It looks like a lock Spurs and Suns, Spurs in 6.