PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbox: Kurt Thomas Answers

duncan228
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/thomas_mailbox_080410.html

Spurs Mailbox: Kurt Thomas

Kurt Thomas recently took time out to answer questions submitted by Spurs E-News (signup now!) subscribers about what life is like on and off the court.

Name: Stephen Tullos
Question: Do you like playing a physical game?

Kurt Thomas: Yes, I do, because I really like to bang inside, I really like the contact, I like the bumps and bruises and the elbows that are thrown at each other.

Name: Nathan
Question:What is your favorite NFL team?

Kurt Thomas: The Dallas Cowboys, because I was born and raised in Dallas, I was raised a Cowboys fan. I was really disappointed that we didn’t win the Super Bowl last year, and that we didn’t even get a win in the playoffs last year.

Name: Sarah Kooiman
Question: What made you want to play professional basketball?

Kurt Thomas: The love of the game, wanting to improve and come out and compete at the highest level. When I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity I just wanted to try and hang around as long as I could. I didn’t want to just make it to the NBA and be in and out of the league, I wanted to be around a long time.

Name: Mary Johnson
Question: I hope all is well with you and yours. I am an avid b ball fan having watched you play with the Knicks back in the day. How does that team compare to this San Antonio? I mean you played with Ewing and Starks. Compare them in their prime to Duncan and Parker. Thank you and good luck.

Kurt Thomas: They are totally different players, for one I didn’t play with John Starks, I just played with Patrick (Ewing), and Chris Childs, and Charlie Ward. So I didn’t really play with Starks, but you really can’t compare the two because Patrick is more of a true center, and Tim (Duncan) really considers himself a power forward and not really a center. Tony (Parker) really pushes the ball up the floor, and Starks was more of an outside shooter. So he was a two guard, and Parker is a point guard so it’s really hard to compare the two.

Name: Darrell Neinast
Question: What is your favorite food?

Kurt Thomas: My favorite food is pasta, it’s my pre-game meal, and I try to eat some pasta before games.

Name: David Lerma
Question: Kurt who was your favorite NBA team growing up? And how have you adjusted to your new team and city?

Kurt Thomas: My favorite team growing up was the Dallas Mavericks because again I’m from Dallas, and I just watched them growing up back in the day. All the greats.

My adjustment is going well, I’m still trying to find my way around the city, I get lost here and there, I might take a wrong turn but that comes with moving to any new city. But I think the fans have been great to me. My teammates and coaching staff have been outstanding.

Name: Lana Lea
Question: What advice do you have for kids in middle school and high school who aspire to have NBA and WNBA careers after high school and college?

Kurt Thomas: Hard work, when you think you’ve put enough time in, trust me you haven't. You have to eat and sleep in that gym from shooting the ball to rebounding, to dribbling, to boxing out. You have to work on the basics, the fundamentals of the game.

Name: Bob Partain
Question: Which of the players whom you defend are the most talented and/or skilled, and why?

Kurt Thomas: I would say Tim Duncan. For one, he is very talented, solid fundamentally, he has an inside and outside game. Kevin Garnett, the same good fundamentals, very athletic, runs the floor, and he can really shoot the ball inside and outside. I definitely would have to put Rasheed Wallace in there. He’s a tremendous player, tremendous shooting ability inside, and he is even able to step out and shoot the three at a high percentage. I have defended all these guys, and I would definitely have to put Karl Malone in there too. He was an unbelievable big man who could run the floor, and could really shoot the ball and post up and finish.

Name: Dan C
Question: Playing in the league for so long at such a hard position, what do you do to keep your endurance going on such a high level?

Kurt Thomas: The key is constantly working on your conditioning, eating right, and getting the rest that you need so that you can go out there and perform at a high level.

Name: Drew Kutler
Question: Hey Kurt, in my opinion, and in a lot of other Spurs fan's opinions, you guarded Tim Duncan just about as well as one could hope to do so in the Suns/Spurs series last year. How do you feel about playing alongside him now? Have you guys ever talked about that series?

Kurt Thomas: I’m ecstatic, to play along side of him, and to not have to guard him. Even though people give me credit for defending him very well I thought I did okay, but he’s such a tremendous talent that he is hard to stop. We definitely talk about that series, and he has always felt that I have guarded him well, and I definitely take that as a compliment coming from a future Hall of Famer.

Quasar
04-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Nice... although it would've been nicer if there had been more 'behind-the-scenes' about his experience with the Spurs.

porscha
04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
he needs to get his shooting better