PDA

View Full Version : Parker's Defense

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:08 PM
How many people here HONESTLY think that parker is a good defender, anyone blows at him, he goes flying back to France.....are u kidding me, and that big bold word, dont ignore it in your opinion....Is he a defensive liability??

BlackSwordsMan
04-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Who would you rather have take his spot?

BlackSwordsMan
04-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Go ahead take your time.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Who would you rather have take his spot?

Did i say anything about replacing him, put him in a weight room to put some muscle on, cuz every time some one contacts him mildly, he goes of flying....

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Go ahead take your time.

Take your time.....

DAF86
04-10-2008, 07:15 PM
How many people here HONESTLY think that parker is a good defender, anyone blows at him, he goes flying back to France.....are u kidding me, and that big bold word, dont ignore it in your opinion....Is he a defensive liability??

I don't think he's a liability, actually when he tries he's very good on D. The problem is his size. when he plays against bigger points he suffers.

xcoriate
04-10-2008, 07:15 PM
I remember Parker's D from the last championship run... Iverson has never looked so poor.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
I don't think he's a liability, actually when he tries he's very good on D

But see if he tries on the Defensive end he, gets tired to early, then he's no good on offense, all i am saying is put him in the gymn this summer to build up some muscle. believe me that helps alot...

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Parker's D is very good when he's focused on it. Like most of the Spurs this season, his D has been quite up and down. But as he showed in last year's playoffs, he can defend well. He's definitely not a liability in this regard.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
But see if he tries on the Defensive end he, gets tired to early, then he's no good on offense, all i am saying is put him in the gymn this summer to build up some muscle. believe me that helps alot...

Did you miss the postseason last year?

He was very good on offense and on D.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Did you miss the postseason last year?

He was very good on offense and on D.

Against which PG....Bowen Guarded Nash, Iverson, and Deron Williams, oooooo', he did a good job on Bobie Gibson, yeah... Why do you think t Bowen gurads Iverson, Nash, Deron, Chris Paul, Obviously pop doesnt trust him....

K-State Spur
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Bowen spent a lot of time on Melo as well. Parket had to handle Iverson for long stretches (and actually did a better job with him than Bowen did in that series).

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Why do you think t Bowen gurads Iverson, Nash, Deron, Chris Paul,

Because he guards whoever is the best perimeter player on the other team.

Against which PG....Bowen Guarded Nash, Iverson, and Deron Williams, oooooo', he did a good job on Bobie Gibson, yeah... Why do you think t Bowen gurads Iverson, Nash, Deron, Chris Paul, Obviously pop doesnt trust him....

Are you retarded? Bowen guards whoever is the best perimeter scorer on the other team .. it doesn't matter if that's a PG or a SF. He's one of the best defenders in the league that's what he does. That's not because Parker sucks, it's because it would be stupid not to have Bowen guard the PG if the point guard is the best perimeter scorer.

And Parker guarded Iverson (Bowen was guarding Carmelo), Barbosa, Fisher, Gibson and Hughes.

timaios
04-10-2008, 07:26 PM
So BIG z, you have a big crush on Tony.

timvp
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
This is a pretty random thread considering that Parker has been solid on defense in the last dozen or so games. About a month ago he had a string of sub par defensive efforts at which point this thread might have made somewhat sense. Now, Parker's defense ranks about #12,523 on my list of concerns.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Are you retarded? Bowen guards whoever is the best perimeter scorer on the other team .. it doesn't matter if that's a PG or a SF. He's one of the best defenders in the league that's what he does. That's not because Parker sucks, it's because it would be stupid not to have Bowen guard the PG if the point guard is the best perimeter scorer.

And Parker guarded Iverson (Bowen was guarding Carmelo), Barbosa, Fisher, Gibson and Hughes.

Two things i never said parker sucked, and i never questioned that Bowens not a good defender...I guess if telling you my opinion makes me a retard, then i might be one....

Whisky Dog
Parker spent time on Nash during last years PO as well when Bowen wasn't on him. He's probably an underrated defender if you consider that almost nobody thinks defense when they hear the name Tony Parker.

That said, last year's playoffs are looking very far away at this point with this team not playing consistent defense and coupling that with horrific offense.

BIG z
So BIG z, you have a big crush on Tony.

If you say so.....

Sense
04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I agree with Kori 100%...

When Tony tries... he's a very good defender...

he's even defended Dirk... and even though we find it funny... it works.

DAF86

:lol Do you see how it feels? When i said that Manu was a good defender a lot of guys ask me the same stupid question: If he's so good why he doesn't guard the the best wingman of the other team?

Kori Ellis
Two things i never said parker sucked, and i never questioned that Bowens not a good defender...I guess if telling you my opinion makes me a retard, then i might be one....

I'm saying, what you are saying sounds retarded. You are asking why Bowen guards Nash, CP3 and other good players. Ummm... because Bowen is the team's best defender.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:30 PM
:lol Do you see how it feels? When i said that Manu was a good defender a lot of guys ask me the same stupid question: If he's soo good why he doesn't guard the the best wingman of the other team?

No, that's not what we said. We said why is he given the WORST perimeter player. But who cares.

BIG z
:lol Do you see how it feels? When i said that Manu was a good defender a lot of guys ask me the same stupid question: If he's soo good why he doesn't guard the the best wingman of the other team?

Its like a sin to pose a question on this forum, sometime, people personally get offended when you point out something about a spur...

Allanon
I'm surprised that Parker was considered in the "Best Defensive Point Guard" ... I always thought he was a bad defender. But I have to admit, I don't watch him on defense because his offense is his main ticket and usually watch the guy Bowen's guarding.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Its like a sin to pose a question on this forum, sometime, people personally get offended when you point out something about a spur...

No, you are just one of the worst posters on the board and you start random threads that make absolutely no sense.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm surprised that Parker was considered in the "Best Defensive Point Guard" ... I always thought he was a bad defender. But I have to admit, I don't watch him on defense because his offense is his main ticket and usually watch the guy Bowen's guarding.

He's very good when he tries. This season he went thru a stretch when he wasn't trying. It may have been because he was injured for a long time (and then getting his legs back for a while after). But when he tries, he's very effective.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm saying, what you are saying sounds retarded. You are asking why Bowen guards Nash, CP3 and other good players. Ummm... because Bowen is the team's best defender.

I dont know if you have noticed this or not, but every time when someone either drives on him, post him up, gives him a little push, he goes of flying, even Sean said in the game commentary the spurs need to put him in GYMN to be a little stronger. Sometimes he just man handled....

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:35 PM
It's Elliott.

DAF86
04-10-2008, 07:36 PM

John Hollinger does everything based on stats that's not the way to select an all defensive team. I think that Tony is very good but he isn't among the best defensive point guards.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
No, you are just one of the worst posters on the board and you start random threads that make absolutely no sense.

If you say so, well you once said, you did not make this forum, just so that we could praise the spurs all the time, thats what most people do here, agree or disagree? Homers, as i would say...

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I dont know if you have noticed this or not, but every time when someone either drives on him, post him up, gives him a little push, he goes of flying, even Sean said in the game commentary the spurs need to put him in GYMN to be a little stronger. Sometimes he just man handled....

Actually Sean said two game ago that Parker is a lot stronger than people think.

Sure, some players can post him up but bulking up Parker would be stupid because he'd lose his biggest asset - his speed.

And when Sean said that about Tony going flying and needing some extra weight, he was talking about when people push Tony when Tony has the ball and is going to the basket.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:38 PM
It's Elliott.

:ihit

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:38 PM
If you say so, well you once said, you did not make this forum, just so that we could praise the spurs all the time, thats what most people do here, agree or disagree? Homers, as i would say...

Disagree.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Actually Sean said two game ago that Parker is a lot stronger than people think.

Sure, some players can post him up but bulking up Parker would be stupid because he'd lose his biggest asset - his speed.

Well bulking him up would be like a truck comming with speed down the lane, would you not want that....

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Well bulking him up would be like a truck comming with speed down the lane, would you not want that....

No. He wouldn't be as fast if he was bulked up.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Disagree.

Is that your final and honest answer?

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:41 PM
No. He wouldn't be as fast if he was bulked up.

why would you say that, i am not saying he's going to be fat, NFL players do that all the time, nothing happens to thier speed....

timvp
04-10-2008, 07:42 PM
http://lonestartimes.com/images/2007/04/short-bus.jpg

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Is that your final and honest answer?

Yes. I disagree that Tony is a defensive liability. I disagree that he should bulk up. I disagree that most of the posters on SpursTalk are homers. And I disagree that I unbanned you.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes. I disagree that Tony is a defensive liability. I disagree that he should bulk up. I disagree that most of the posters on SpursTalk are homers. And I disagree that I unbanned you.

Why do you have to go there????

Gino
04-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Sounds like BigZ needs a smoke! :smokin

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I dont remember posting that but, what is the significance of that????

:wtf

School Bus....

Sense
04-10-2008, 07:48 PM
http://th306.photobucket.com/albums/nn264/luislolwut90/th_7f1637c737e4.gif

BIG z
04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
hahahahahah, good one.... :clap

T Park
04-10-2008, 07:56 PM
BIG Z..

Dude, I've been here before.

STFU now while your ahead.

Sense
04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
BIG Z..

he's ahead?

td4mvp21
04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I would say he's behind.

T Park
04-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Its a saying :lol

duncan228
04-10-2008, 08:32 PM
:lmao Thanks timvp, I needed a laugh.

And I disagree that I unbanned you.

I agree with your disagree.

duncan228
04-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Oh, and if Parker were a liability on defense he wouldn't be Pop's starting PG.
You don't play defense you don't get minutes in Pop's system.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
BIG Z..

i have to admitt, that you are one of the biggest idiots on this forum, who actullay thinks that he knows alot, but doesnt know shit...So you STFU permanently...

BIG z
04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh, and if Parker were a liability on defense he wouldn't be Pop's starting PG.
You don't play defense you don't get minutes in Pop's system.

Why is Finley, the starting SG...please dont say he plays goods defense.....please.... :bang

duncan228
04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Why is Finley, the starting SG...

So Manu can come off the bench.

diego
04-10-2008, 08:46 PM
like timvp said, there was a stretch where he was playing like crap on D.

but he's shown he has it in him, and one of the most positive things for the spurs right now is that parker looks recovered from the ankle/heel problem.
he is playing great ball again, its impossible to doubt duncan, and manu... if he comes back playing only 1/2 as good as he's been on average this season, that should still be enough to have a legit chance, provided tony keeps picking up a little more- he and duncan still have more to give as the rotation shortens.

speaking of which, i'm more worried about the role players and pop's ever changing rotations... they dont look like a finished product at all. CIA? i can only hope so

BIG z
04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
So Manu can come off the bench.

Key word, starting, thats what you said, i was just point that out....

BIG z
04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
like timvp said, there was a stretch where he was playing like crap on D.

but he's shown he has it in him, and one of the most positive things for the spurs right now is that parker looks recovered from the ankle/heel problem.
he is playing great ball again, its impossible to doubt duncan, and manu... if he comes back playing only 1/2 as good as he's been on average this season, that should still be enough to have a legit chance, provided tony keeps picking up a little more- he and duncan still have more to give as the rotation shortens.

speaking of which, i'm more worried about the role players and pop's ever changing rotations... they dont look like a finished product at all. CIA? i can only hope so

Well i hope he becomes a great defender one day, but like most peopel on here said that they usually dont notice parker on D, and all they see is him attacking the paint on offense, i want you to have an eye on him when he plays defense....they play the sonics, terrible team, dont really judge against them, but watch when they play a good team... but he plays well defense when he hussels....

duncan228
04-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Key word, starting, thats what you said, i was just point that out....

You need reading comprehension classes.

Starting was about Parker, who is the starting PG.
You asked why Finley starts, I answered you.

Watch a few games, you might start to understand the rotations better.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 08:55 PM
You need reading comprehension classes.

Starting was about Parker, who is the starting PG.
You asked why Finley starts, I answered you.

Watch a few games, you might start to understand the rotations better.

No you were saying that, he would'nt be the starting PG, if he did'nt play defense, that is not true....what about his offense, that why he starts.i was giving you an analogy that Finley starts, why does he start, he doesnt play defense, why doesnt Udoka start....he plays defense, doesnt pop expect defense from everyone other than the point gurad....

duncan228
04-10-2008, 08:56 PM
:bang

I give up with you.
I should have known better.

Have a good night.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 09:01 PM
:bang

I give up with you.
I should have known better.

Have a good night.

Its cuz you made a stupid point... that parker would'nt be starting if he did'nt play defense.....good night to you....

spursfan09
04-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Its cuz you made a stupid point... that parker would'nt be starting if he did'nt play defense.....good night to you....

It's not a stupid point. Its a valid point. You are making an argument about Parker's defense, and she basically stated the counter argument what we all know. He would not be starting for Pop if he did not play defense.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
It's not a stupid point. Its a valid point. You are making an argument about Parker's defense, and she basically stated the counter argument what we all know. He would not be starting for Pop if he did not play defense.

So its a she......

spursfan09
04-10-2008, 09:40 PM
So its a she......

I believe so.... if not he has too much of a fascination with TD.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I believe so.... if not he has too much of a fascination with TD.

that explains alot, cuz when i ever i say Duncan is intimidated by shaq he/she gets personally offended....

DAF86
04-10-2008, 09:46 PM

I dissagree with most of the things Big Z said on this thread. But in this particular disscusion i'm on his side. Finley is also a starter, and let's say he could do better on D, so i don't buy duncan228 argument.

BIG z
04-10-2008, 09:47 PM
I dissagree with most of the things Big Z said on this thread. But in this particular disscusion i'm on his side. Finley is also a starter, and let's say he could do better on D, so i don't buy duncan228 argument.

Thank you....

duncan228
04-10-2008, 10:12 PM

So who should start instead of Finley?
Udoka is new, he hasn't learned the system yet to earn those minutes.
Barry is hurt, we don't know when he'll be back.

Manu brings the energy and cohesiveness to the second unit, he comes off the bench.

Who starts if Finley doesn't?

I never said Finley was a defensive ace. I said he starts so Manu can come off the bench.

DAF86
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
So who should start instead of Finley?
Udoka is new, he hasn't learned the system yet to earn those minutes.
Barry is hurt, we don't know when he'll be back.

Manu brings the energy and cohesiveness to the second unit, he comes off the bench.

Who starts if Finley doesn't?

I never said Finley was a defensive ace. I said he starts so Manu can come off the bench.

I know, but i'm just saying that this shows that you can be a below avarage defender and still get minutes with Pop.

ducks
04-10-2008, 10:30 PM
tp guarded nash alot vs suns in postseason last year

duncan228
04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I know, but i'm just saying that this shows that you can be a below avarage defender and still get minutes with Pop.

Pop does what he can with what he has. It's better for the team at this moment for Finley to start so Manu can bring the punch off the bench.

And just to get back to the point of the thread, Parker is not a below average defender. He is not a defensive liability. When he brings it, he's quite good. He has lapses, everyone does. But he would not have stayed Pop's starting PG for all these years if he was a defensive liability.

DAF86
04-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Pop does what he can with what he has. It's better for the team at this moment for Finley to start so Manu can bring the punch off the bench.

And just to get back to the point of the thread, Parker is not a below average defender. He is not a defensive liability. When he brings it, he's quite good. He has lapses, everyone does. But he would not have stayed Pop's starting PG for all these years if he was a defensive liability.

I also think that Parker is a good defender. All i said is that the whole "if you aren't a good defender you don't play for Pop" thing it's not true.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Finley's defense was far from the problem last night.

DAF86
04-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Finley's defense was far from the problem last night.

and who's arguing that? :wtf

spursfan09
04-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Ok yes with Finley you are right, but Parker is not a below average defender.

DAF86
04-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok yes with Finley you are right, but Parker is not a below average defender.

Did you read any other of my posts in this thread?

spursfan09
04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Did you read any other of my posts in this thread?

:lol no. Sorry! But I wasn't trying to say you think he is a bad defender. I am replying to the people who actually think he is. It's a ridiculous thing to say he is. As for the Finley argument I just think he is the exception at the moment. We know his defense is not that good, so we don't expect alot from him anyways. But Parker is the main pg and I think Pop would absolutely blow up on him if he did not maintain a certain defensive intensity.

TDMVPDPOY
04-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I remember Parker's D from the last championship run... Iverson has never looked so poor.

you talkin about daniel gibson? hahahah he only had one good series and that wasnt against us, and playing a rookie against a scrub who went on to win finals mvp cause parker played against an inexperience player. TPs defense is overrated as steve nashs defense

colargol
04-11-2008, 12:43 AM
I remember the last play VS Detroit for the Finals and TP did a great Job on Prince or Hamilton it was a great defense .......

J_Paco
04-11-2008, 01:46 AM
you talkin about daniel gibson? hahahah he only had one good series and that wasnt against us, and playing a rookie against a scrub who went on to win finals mvp cause parker played against an inexperience player. TPs defense is overrated as steve nashs defense

I believe Steve Nash's level of defensive ability is far, far lower than Tony Parker. There really aren't alot of great defensive point guards in the NBA today. Only Rajon Rondo and Devin Harris come to my mind.

Parker is definitely solid on defense as are Duncan, Ginobili and Bruce Bowen. I think it's everyone else, other than Udoka and Kurt Thomas, that you've gotta worry about.

spursfan09
04-11-2008, 08:38 AM

He was talking about Allen Iverson. not Gibson. :rolleyes. And nobody ever says anything about Nash's defense.

Look TP haters, I know you think TOny's defense, offense, face, tatoos etc are all responsible for this bad streak the spurs are going through, but guess what? He's one of the few good things I see, because it looks like he is coming back in to shape from his injury and all that drama from that so called scandal that was non existent.