PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Eaten At Dickey's BBQ Before?

davi78239
04-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Know they got one on Bandera rd and I want to try them one day since I work kinda out there.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Its OK.

Not at Famous Dave's good level.

spursfan09
04-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Nothing like the worse BBQ in Texas from Rudy's

marini martini
04-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Is it as good as Cooper's in LLano?

lebomb
04-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Its not that good at all. No flavor as far as Im concerned. Also, the BBQ sauce is too watery and sweet. I like Rudys way better.

The best is Luling (city market), Lockhart and Elgin BBQ. YUM!!!!

pussyface
04-11-2008, 07:29 AM
i find it to be really quite good

peewee's lovechild
04-11-2008, 07:53 AM
I went on Monday.

I didn't like it.

The meat portions are kinda small, but their sides are pretty damn good. Their sauce isn't that good either.

If you want real good BBQ with good portions and some damn good sauce, go to the Barbeque Station on Harry Wurzbach and 410.

They have the best beef ribs and brisket I've had in San Antonio.

SpursWoman
04-11-2008, 08:14 AM
If you want real good BBQ with good portions and some damn good sauce, go to the Barbeque Station on Harry Wurzbach and 410.

They have the best beef ribs and brisket I've had in San Antonio.

:tu

I used to live in that neighborhood right behind there. I miss that place. :(

peewee's lovechild
04-11-2008, 08:21 AM

I used to live in that neighborhood right behind there. I miss that place. :(

My apartment was two blocks away.

I used to walk to the Station and then take ten steps to The Thirsty Turtle and get hammered there.

Now I live on the other side of town.

I miss my old neighborhood.

samikeyp
04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Went to Dickey's in Austin, not impressed at all.

leemajors
04-11-2008, 08:38 AM
it sucks. city market in luling is the stuff.

Soul_Patch
04-11-2008, 08:53 AM
When i sold cars for a while at Alamo Toyota, one of our favorite hang outs was the Thirsty Turtle.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
dickey's is nasty. no taste at all.

AlamoSpursFan
04-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Is it as good as Cooper's in LLano?

NOTHING (BBQ wise, that is) is as good as Cooper's in Llano.

I wonder if City Market in Luling is owned by the same peeps as City Market in Giddings...because the one in Giddings is pretty good as well.

:hungry:

101A
04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Bob's

Best barbecue is SA - bar none

Rudy's is pretty good, also.

Miss the Hickory Hut in Helotes (General Store for those of you old-schoolers)

fraga
04-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Read more reviews here. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78077)

lebomb
04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
The first time I ate at Dickeys I liked it. I had a pulled pork sammich......the next two times I went back I was in shock at how bland it tasted. The brisket was tasteless and the pulled pork had no seasoning on it at all. It was soooooo bland.

I gave a piece of brisket to my 18mo. old (who eats virtually everything) and he spit it out and handed it back to me. :hang

peewee's lovechild
04-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Bob's

Best barbecue is SA - bar none

Rudy's is pretty good, also.

Miss the Hickory Hut in Helotes (General Store for those of you old-schoolers)

Where is Bob's?

Evan
04-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Dickey's has franchised itself and I have noticed a decline in quality (that happens with every franchised restaurant) but its still good food.

Anyone who remembers Dickey's when they had those big blocks of "self serve" cheddar cheese remember just how good that place used to be.

Check it out for yourself….

mrsmaalox
04-11-2008, 10:32 AM
I've had enough terrible brisket here that I am not beyond buying HEB's pre done one. Get it on sale, plus no hassle and it is a bargain!

101A
04-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Where is Bob's?Used to be one on Fred rd. - gone now; original on the East side; FM 78

lil'mo
04-11-2008, 01:08 PM
fuck all of yall

atxrocker
04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Went to Dickey's in Austin, not impressed at all.

InRareForm
08-13-2016, 07:01 PM
just had it the other day. Got the sandwich that is half sausage and half tri tip...

it was good but first of all the bread was not of good quality... second off they just put a slice of cheddar on it and it didn't melt or even sort of melt with the meat.

7/10 it's a good place to get a fix of BBQ without having to wait a long time at a restaraunt...especially out here in Los angeles area.

SpursforSix
08-13-2016, 10:00 PM
just had it the other day. Got the sandwich that is half sausage and half tri tip...

it was good but first of all the bread was not of good quality... second off they just put a slice of cheddar on it and it didn't melt or even sort of melt with the meat.

7/10 it's a good place to get a fix of BBQ without having to wait a long time at a restaraunt...especially out here in Los angeles area.

So you tried Dickys AND a Big Red Vanila Float? Busy week!

SpursforSix
08-13-2016, 10:05 PM

But yeah...it's OK. They're supposed to roll the bun on some butter wheels and grill it for a sex but half the time they don't give a fuck and just use the bun straight out of the bag. I just drench everything with sauce. The turkey is not bad. But if I want something fast from a chain, I like Spring Creek. And those rolls.

xXx
08-14-2016, 06:57 AM
Anyone try smoke yet? I've only chilled at their underground bar...

UNT Eagles 2016
08-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Nothing like the worse BBQ in Texas from Rudy's

Yeah, Rudy's really does live up to their slogan as the worst bar-b-q in Texas. Terrible sauce, dry meat, no A/C on the inside... would rather eat at Bill Miller's.

For decent upscale barbecue ribs I'll just eat at a Texas Roadhouse or something.

Kind of starving for something like barbecue ribs or pulled pork, actually... but all I have in the fridge is more Chipotle :( .... and guess what I'm having practically every day from now through the end of September? Chipotle, Chipotle, Chipotle, more Chipotle! :(

DJR210
08-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Yeah, Rudy's really does live up to their slogan as the worst bar-b-q in Texas. Terrible sauce, dry meat, no A/C on the inside... would rather eat at Bill Miller's.

For decent upscale barbecue ribs I'll just eat at a Texas Roadhouse or something.

Kind of starving for something like barbecue ribs or pulled pork, actually... but all I have in the fridge is more Chipotle :( .... and guess what I'm having practically every day from now through the end of September? Chipotle, Chipotle, Chipotle, more Chipotle! :(

:lol

SpursforSix
08-16-2016, 11:31 AM

yeah...that was too much.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-16-2016, 12:04 PM

Huh?

The cheapest ones you can get at TR for a half rack are like $12.99 ... that would DEFINITELY be upscale.

Downscale would be the McRib or something, especially in November/December when you can get two plus a large fries and drink for $5.99.

Or, this little place called Rawson's barbecue pit up in Denton which sold 99 cent barbecue pulled pork (100% real pork loin made in-house) sandwiches (as many as you want, same price for each) on Monday-Wednesday from Fall 2014 thru Spring 2015. And you could literally see the guy pulling the meat off the bone, it was delicious. Unfortunately, the restaurant went out of business in May 2015. :(

DJR210
08-16-2016, 12:08 PM
I'll be sure to wear a suit and tie next time I go to TR

I. Hustle
08-16-2016, 12:14 PM
I'll be sure to wear a suit and tie next time I go to TR

Do you wear covers for your Ferragmos? You know, to keep all the shells on the floor from getting them dirty?

DJR210
08-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Do you wear covers for your Ferragmos? You know, to keep all the shells on the floor from getting them dirty?

Nah I have the staff carry me to my table on a golden chariot

I. Hustle
08-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Nah I have the staff carry me to my table on a golden chariot

Have you tried their Wagyu nachos or the caviar cheddar poppers?

DJR210
08-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Have you tried their Wagyu nachos or the caviar cheddar poppers?

Yeah definitely, the Bird's Nest Soup is also quite exquisite.

I. Hustle
08-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Yeah definitely, the Bird's Nest Soup is also quite exquisite.

I always order the bottle of Dom with cherry nerds and the dry ice that makes it look like it's smoking. In the flutes with the lights on the bottom of course.

lebomb
08-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Its not that good at all. No flavor as far as Im concerned. Also, the BBQ sauce is too watery and sweet. I like Rudys way better.

The best is Luling (city market), Lockhart and Elgin BBQ. YUM!!!!

8yrs later and Dickeys still sucks. :vomit:

DMX7
08-16-2016, 05:13 PM
As one poster described it, it's very "ok". But I do actually get a craving for it from time to time. They also have complementary soft serve ice cream which is nice.

Ginobilly
08-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Had it the other day with the wifa and kiddos. It was alright, but what I didn't like are their prices for their overrated fully cooked preheated food. They had mesquite and oak inside the restaurant but I doubt they actually use it:lol. I paid like $11 for a small sliced brisket sandwich with 2 small sides. I actually think Bill Millers is a better deal and you get more similar food for cheaper. I like their fancy containers and plastic cups for which I think they actually spend more time and money on marketing and developing their bags and containers that they forgot about the food.

Rudy's BBQ is okay. They're very inconsistent with the way they smoke their meats. Sometimes they're moist and delicious, then at other times it's dry and overcooked. I guess those are the consequences when you have highschool and college 18-20 yr old kids smoking the brisket.

SpursforSix
08-16-2016, 06:07 PM
I guess those are the consequences when you have highschool and college 18-20 yr old kids smoking the brisket.

That's better than Avante's where you got 12 year olds smoking the meat.

DMC
08-16-2016, 08:14 PM
He's a dumb kid. Of course he thinks Texas Roadhouse is upscale.

DJR210
08-16-2016, 10:44 PM
He's a dumb kid. Of course he thinks Texas Roadhouse is upscale.

:lol Olive Garden must be fine dining to him

08-17-2016, 06:58 AM
That's better than Avante's where you got 12 year olds smoking the meat.
:lmao

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 09:36 AM
Take off the ey's and SFS has had plenty of it.

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Take off the ey's and SFS has had plenty of it.

You should be the BBQ expert. You've had plenty of meat on your grill.

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 09:58 AM
You should be the BBQ expert. You've had plenty of meat on your grill.

I'll be the BBQ expert and you stick to track and football ok, slick?

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 10:04 AM
I'll be the BBQ expert and you stick to track and football ok, slick?

Why do you want to come on here like that? Huh guy?

Ok..."expert"

talk to me about the top 5 BBQ shacks in the Delta.

How about filling out the lanes for an all BBQ 200m?

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Why do you want to come on here like that? Huh guy?

Ok..."expert"

talk to me about the top 5 BBQ shacks in the Delta.

How about filling out the lanes for an all BBQ 200m?

What is it that you want? Do you want tips on making the perfect brisket or do you want a bunch of nonsense? This isn't like track, little guy. The name of the game is slow and steady. I once took 20 hours to smoke a brisket. 20 hours, slick

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 10:58 AM
What is it that you want? Do you want tips on making the perfect brisket or do you want a bunch of nonsense? This isn't like track, little guy. The name of the game is slow and steady. I once took 20 hours to smoke a brisket. 20 hours, slick

Hey guys...so your BBQ "expert" couldn't answer my questions.

Hey SFS...who do you start your fantasy BBQ football team with?

You might say Ray Stubbs. Played for the Tranmere Rovers and Bangor City. I'd tell you that's a different Stubbs dimwit. And the Stubbs from Stubbs BBQ did not play football on a professional level.

However, there's this cat from East Texas that played football for John Tyler. Wow...what about the John Tyler / Plano East game in 1994. Called the greatest high school football game ever. Earl was way before then. Played for the University of Texas and then those Houston Oilers. Has a nice tasty sausage.

He's the guy I start my team off with.

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Hey guys...so your BBQ "expert" couldn't answer my questions.

Hey SFS...who do you start your fantasy BBQ football team with?

You might say Ray Stubbs. Played for the Tranmere Rovers and Bangor City. I'd tell you that's a different Stubbs dimwit. And the Stubbs from Stubbs BBQ did not play football on a professional level.

However, there's this cat from East Texas that played football for John Tyler. Wow...what about the John Tyler / Plano East game in 1994. Called the greatest high school football game ever. Earl was way before then. Played for the University of Texas and then those Houston Oilers. Has a nice tasty sausage.

He's the guy I start my team off with.

This is where you show your ignorance. Are you talking about best football player to BBQ, best BBQer that is a present or past footballer or most successful?

I take Earl out because making sausage isn't really bbqing and if you knew shit about shit, you would know that.

In terms of success, Billy Sims is a frontrunner.

Bubba Baker was a rookie of the year in '78 for the lions and makes some mean bbq

Now what, slick? Huh? That's right. Owned. get your shinebox.

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 11:18 AM
This is where you show your ignorance. Are you talking about best football player to BBQ, best BBQer that is a present or past footballer or most successful?

I take Earl out because making sausage isn't really bbqing and if you knew shit about shit, you would know that.

In terms of success, Billy Sims is a frontrunner.

Bubba Baker was a rookie of the year in '78 for the lions and makes some mean bbq

Now what, slick? Huh? That's right. Owned. get your shinebox.

I have fun with this. You would really start a team with...a defensive lineman????

And this is where I get to show off. Earl Campbell had yep...his own BBQ restaurant and makes a great sauce as well.
How did he get in the sausage business huh? You think...

Earl Campbell : I's just going to start making sausage

No...he had a great reputation as a BBQ guy that knew how to use a grill.

Trust me on this...Earl is a bonafide BBQ'r.

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 11:27 AM

You're retarded to think you could smoke a brisket for 20 hours. Maybe 15 hours. How old were you? Trust me...there are professional's who can only smoke meat for 19.72. And you with 20.
Can the silly bullshit and think.

DJR210
08-17-2016, 12:05 PM
8yrs later and Dickeys still sucks. :vomit:

:lol I'm grateful for the bump, I almost stopped there to try it.

Went to B&B's Smokehouse on Pleasanton, that brisket and sausage po'boy was the shit

DJR210
08-17-2016, 12:06 PM
also, :lol SpursforSix's slow transition into Avante (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=33483) himself, minus the rape of course

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 12:45 PM
I have fun with this. You would really start a team with...a defensive lineman????

And this is where I get to show off. Earl Campbell had yep...his own BBQ restaurant and makes a great sauce as well.
How did he get in the sausage business huh? You think...

Earl Campbell : I's just going to start making sausage

No...he had a great reputation as a BBQ guy that knew how to use a grill.

Trust me on this...Earl is a bonafide BBQ'r.

You have got to be shitting me. Those who cant BBQ... yep... make sausage. How easy is it to grind some meat with a few spices and stuff that shit into a casing?

Can you really be this stupid? There's a reason nobody says "Damn, that Earl can make some real good brisket or pork"

They mass produce his shit in some warehouse and it is all done up by machines. MACHINES. Nobody takes the time to do it themselves.

Get your shit together. Stick to the area that you are good at... yep... track and football. Best in the biz there. Go with that, slick.

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 12:50 PM
You're retarded to think you could smoke a brisket for 20 hours. Maybe 15 hours. How old were you? Trust me...there are professional's who can only smoke meat for 19.72. And you with 20.
Can the silly bullshit and think.

I was young then. Early 20s. It's not like I had a timer go off right at 20 hours. Heck, it could have been 21 or even 22 hours. I didn't have a stopwatch on me. All I know is that I was told it was the tastiest and most tender brisket they had ever eaten.

It's not like I was trying to compete with professionals or anything. I was just doing what I do.

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 01:12 PM
I was young then. Early 20s. It's not like I had a timer go off right at 20 hours. Heck, it could have been 21 or even 22 hours. I didn't have a stopwatch on me. All I know is that I was told it was the tastiest and most tender brisket they had ever eaten.

It's not like I was trying to compete with professionals or anything. I was just doing what I do.

Why do ya think that no one has ever heard of your 20 hour smoke? Trust me, you'd have been interviewed by BBQ Magazine and the Food Network. Don't ya think this is how it went?

IHustle : Hey I think I'm going to smoke a brisket
Mrs.Hustle: That sounds great

Two weeks later

Mrs. Hustle : Weren't you going to smoke some brisket last month?
IHustle : I did. Shit.

Ya found it all dried and maggoty. That's your 20 hour smoke. Got it?

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Why do ya think that no one has ever heard of your 20 hour smoke? Trust me, you'd have been interviewed by BBQ Magazine and the Food Network. Don't ya think this is how it went?

IHustle : Hey I think I'm going to smoke a brisket
Mrs.Hustle: That sounds great

Two weeks later

Mrs. Hustle : Weren't you going to smoke some brisket last month?
IHustle : I did. Shit.

Ya found it all dried and maggoty. That's your 20 hour smoke. Got it?

Look, I just made it for friends and family. I didn't brag about how long I smoked it. 20 maybe 21 or 22. I just wanted to make something that everyone would enjoy. I didn't take an ad out in the paper.

Who knows? Maybe it was BBQ magazine or Food Network worthy. All I know is that you didn't even need a knife. It was that tender.

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Look, I just made it for friends and family. I didn't brag about how long I smoked it. 20 maybe 21 or 22. I just wanted to make something that everyone would enjoy. I didn't take an ad out in the paper.

Who knows? Maybe it was BBQ magazine or Food Network worthy. All I know is that you didn't even need a knife. It was that tender.

There are professional BBQ's competing in GrillMaster than done have a 20 hour smoke.

Tell me about:

Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce
Tony Roma (hint...he's not a quarterback)
Willie Phister chicken hole
Homemade BBQ sauce using lemonade
Best pound for pound grill made by a U.S. company

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 01:34 PM
There are professional BBQ's competing in GrillMaster than done have a 20 hour smoke.

Tell me about:

Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce
Tony Roma (hint...he's not a quarterback)
Willie Phister chicken hole
Homemade BBQ sauce using lemonade
Best pound for pound grill made by a U.S. company

Hey, I'm not calling my self the best or longest smoking. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. All I am saying is that it took me 20 or UP TO 22 hours.

I just did a test right now and microwaved a hungry man dinner. The box said to microwave it for 3 1/2 minutes but it took me 5 minutes to get it just perfect. That was a thin piece of meat that was maybe a 6 or 7 ounces at best. Translate that to a 14 or 16 pound brisket on the smoker and that is a little over 22 hours.

That was without me seasoning it and prepping it. So it could even be longer than that.

clambake
08-17-2016, 01:37 PM
Hey, I'm not calling my self the best or longest smoking. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. All I am saying is that it took me 20 or UP TO 22 hours.

I just did a test right now and microwaved a hungry man dinner. The box said to microwave it for 3 1/2 minutes but it took me 5 minutes to get it just perfect. That was a thin piece of meat that was maybe a 6 or 7 ounces at best. Translate that to a 14 or 16 pound brisket on the smoker and that is a little over 22 hours.

That was without me seasoning it and prepping it. So it could even be longer than that.
you a scientist?

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 01:39 PM
you a scientist?

No not a scientist. Just a guy that loves to grill. I didn't go to school for it or anything. It's just a gift I guess.

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 01:54 PM
you a scientist?

why are you humping his leg? huh? Do you know anything?

Tell me about how you go about making the perfect pulled pork New Orleans style?

Here's a blues video

8Uee_mcxvrw

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 01:58 PM
why are you humping his leg? huh? Do you know anything?

Tell me about how you go about making the perfect pulled pork New Orleans style?

Here's a blues video

8Uee_mcxvrw

By New Orleans, do you mean Creole or Cajun? I've done both. You probably didn't realize that there was more than one style. It's cool.

08-17-2016, 02:02 PM
I.Hustle seems to really know his shit when it comes to BBQ tbh. Some would call him an expert

clambake
08-17-2016, 02:09 PM
yeah and its seems that spursforsix is more than a little ticked off about it. he madd at me too

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 02:10 PM
I.Hustle seems to really know his shit when it comes to BBQ tbh. Some would call him an expert

Listen guy...why cant he talk to me about...

Best Memphis Rub shack
Willie Phister Chicken Hole
Heinz vs. Kraft - battle of the sauces

real expert ya got there.

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 02:11 PM
yeah and its seems that spursforsix is more than a little ticked off about it. he madd at me too

You need to stick with what you know...politics.

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 02:16 PM

I'm not saying that I'm the best. Just that it took me 5 minutes to cook a hungry man dinner that should have taken 3 1/2 minutes so that would put me at around the 22 or 23 hour mark for a 16 pound brisket.

Also, that it took me around 20 hours to smoke a brisket that came out perfect once. Could have been 19 1/2 could have been up to 22. I don't know for sure.

All I am saying is that it's possible that I smoke a 16/22 (16 lb brisket at 22 hours).

clambake
08-17-2016, 02:18 PM
i don't know bro. those calculations scream scientist.

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 02:23 PM
i don't know bro. those calculations scream scientist.

Alls I know is, I'm just a guy standing in front of a brisket... asking if I can smoke it.

SpursforSix
08-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Alls I know is, I'm just a guy standing in front of a brisket... asking if I can smoke it.

I Googled "IHustle's Brisket" and they have a pick of you about to serve it.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsjc4sH7mEzIHdzprwYE__0fQhAM4xg iz0uRIVox0WwIVMLNiT4A

clambake
08-17-2016, 02:37 PM
oh no.

its spilling over this brewing war of experts.

I. Hustle
08-17-2016, 02:42 PM
I Googled "IHustle's Brisket" and they have a pick of you about to serve it.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsjc4sH7mEzIHdzprwYE__0fQhAM4xg iz0uRIVox0WwIVMLNiT4A

I didn't mean to offend you just by stating that I am probably... more than likely a lot more knowledgeable than you about this. All I am saying is that I possibly smoke a 16/22.

Anyone can google beer can chicken and ingredients in Heinz sauces but in the end... yep... it's just junk mail.