PDA

View Full Version : It's The Bench

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
In the past, The Spurs have always had strong bench play: at least two guys who can rack up 12-18 when needed.

Spurs Scoring Right Now:

Manu
Tim
Tony
who else...........?.

not Bruce

so there's Mike -- ok -- when he's on we usually win.

When he's on.

Udoka, Oberto, Vaughn, Thomas, Bonner?

Without Brent and Rob, who can score? There's no scoring on the bench outside of Damon Stoudamire. Shit, that's why Damon is here-- for points. But he wont probably play.

I think this aspect of the team is going to be verrrry important in the playoffs.

Mr. Body
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Of course it's the bench.

The F.O. was content to let it rot to the point of wheezing old gas bags. They thought Matt Bonner was the key.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Uh who was outside of Ginobili the 12 to 18 in the playoffs last year that scored off the bench.

Elson?

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Barry.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
:lol Bonner: "The Next Robert Horry"

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Bonner should've been ran out there honestly.

He could guard Diaw. Diaw doesn't have anything especially fancy in his post moves or moves period that wouldn't have warranted him out there.

Barry?

Eh, barry's production from the bench in the playoffs last year was pretty bad, so still, I don't see where this production in last year's playoffs was coming from.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Uh who was outside of Ginobili the 12 to 18 in the playoffs last year that scored off the bench.

Elson?

It was Barry and Finley (not counting Ginobili.)

this year is Finley, sometimes

Spurs have looked poor when there is no 3rd and/or 4th point scorer. I just don't know who can be that guy this time.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I think Finley was last night, he just didn't get any damn shots.

If you say Finley was the bench last year, then I see no reason why he couldn't duplicate his 12 a game off the bench like last year, I haven't seen anything from him lately that indicates hes playing differently than last year.

Spursfury
04-10-2008, 10:50 PM
They can get some help from Bonner, but Pop never gives him minutes. Udoka and Thomas need to give us at least 10 - 14 points off the bench. Ginobili will also be coming off the bench. Hopefully, he can give us the boost we need from the bench in the playoffs. Play Bonner Pop we need his energy.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 10:50 PM
You're right. Mike was inconsistent last year. This year he's even more inconsistent. He stepped up in the Playoffs and Brent stepped down, but Brent had some good games.

Plus -- Horry was scoring.

Maybe I just wait for Tim's playoff avgs to go up to 27-30 ppg to fill the void. But I still think that without "x-factor" option of double digits from some 4th option on the bench, it could be a very (too) low scoring post season.

When Mike scores, Spurs usually win. When he doesn't, Spurs have always had Brent or Robert.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
What good games from last year were these than Brent had and against whom?

Spursfury
04-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't believe that Horry will get any playing time, when the playoffs come around. Barry might get some, I hope so. We need a dependable 3 point shooter, Udoka isn't giving us that.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I think you look at some spots from last night that hurt.

Bowen 2-8
Oberto 3 of 8
Thomas 0 of 4
Udoka 2 or 3 of whatever.

Those guys had stinkers, along with Ginobilis injured 3 of 12, and thats a little bit of the game in a nutshell, along Duncan's pussified 9 of 21.

Thats where the missing points are, not Finley, Finley was 4 of 5 and feeling it, but its easily one of the first times I've seen Finley pretty damn hot and the Spurs not go back to him ONCE.

Hell the 3 he took on the side he took the intiative himself!

I personally thought some more plays in pick and roll run for Fin would've opened things up, but what do I know..

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Game 3 against cle he was 3-4 on 3Ps and the 4th highest scorer.

Game 4 (L) vs. suns he was 5-8 for 12 pts, 4th highest scorer when Ginobili was off offensively.

Point is -- he was there to provide buckets. So was Robert. It's not like they never scored. As things stand right now -- they provide nothing.

ducks
04-10-2008, 11:11 PM
the problem right now is manu is not getting 20 or somepoints
last 3 games 8 or so points
that is not going to get it done

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
I think you look at some spots from last night that hurt.

Bowen 2-8
Oberto 3 of 8
Thomas 0 of 4
Udoka 2 or 3 of whatever.

Those guys had stinkers, along with Ginobilis injured 3 of 12, and thats a little bit of the game in a nutshell, along Duncan's pussified 9 of 21.

Thats where the missing points are, not Finley, Finley was 4 of 5 and feeling it, but its easily one of the first times I've seen Finley pretty damn hot and the Spurs not go back to him ONCE.

Hell the 3 he took on the side he took the intiative himself!

I personally thought some more plays in pick and roll run for Fin would've opened things up, but what do I know..

Exactly what I said -- when Finley scores, Spurs are dangerous.

Udoka, Thomas, Bowen, and Oberto aren't gonna score more than total probably 10 points among them. It doesn't t make up for an "on" Finley, Barry and Horry.

Ronaldo McDonald
04-10-2008, 11:18 PM
It's hard to imagine us winning 2nd or 3rd round playoff series w/o more production from our bench.

That was one of the reasons we lost in 2004 - Hedo choked and we didn't have anyone coming off the bench to pick up the slack. Devin Brown tried, except he wasn't enough. He played great defense, but he couldn't be an offensive threat we needed him to be. He had no offensive go-to move. That situation reminds me of what this team is going through right now. But Instead of Turkoglu choking, we've got Barry injured. Udoka is playing Devin Browns role, trying fill in for the void.

He's alot like Brown. Good defender, but he just isn't the threat on offense that we need him to be in order to win. As important as defense is in the playoffs - and I have NO doubt that we'll bring it - not having a guy that can play off of our Big 3 by being able to hit the 3 with some consistency and be that gear in our offense that keeps our offense working smoothly and effectively will put too much pressure on our defense jsut like it did in 2004.

It didn't work out then, and it won't work now. You can't rely on 3 guys the whole time. Unless Finley can blow up in the playoffs and be that fourth scorer who can average 15 per, and Kurt can do what he did to us last year (basically hit the open 12-15 jumper all game) we really just don't have a team capable of winning it all this year.

barbacoataco
04-10-2008, 11:49 PM
The loss of Barry and Horry limits our 3-pt shooting. Udoka and Bonner have the potential to fill that void, but they haven't. The Spurs offense has been streaky this season, only looking good in spurts.