PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili's injury boosts pressure on offense

crc21209
04-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Pro basketball: Ginobili's injury boosts pressure on offense

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Manu Ginobili spent his Thursday afternoon at Spurs practice squirreled away in the training room, on the receiving end of all sorts of massage and muscle manipulation.

The most strenuous portion of his day appeared to be posing for pictures with the Silesian Sisters of St. John Bosco, a visiting group of Spurs-nutty nuns.

All in all, it was a relaxing day for Ginobili. Not so much for a Spurs team struggling to put up points, now suddenly down one of its leading scorers.

Sidelined by a newly strained left groin, Ginobili has been decommissioned for tonight's game against Seattle — and perhaps longer.

“I just don't want to take any chances with him,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I don't know how long he will be out, but he definitely won't play (against the SuperSonics).”

Ginobili tweaked his groin during the first quarter of the Spurs' 96-79 loss to Phoenix on Wednesday. He continued to play into the fourth, before Popovich removed him for good.

It is an ill-timed development for the Spurs and for Ginobili, who is averaging career highs in almost every statistical category. He is tied with Tim Duncan for the team's scoring lead at 19.6 points per game.

Ginobili might not be missed as much tonight against a Sonics team saddled with the worst record in the Western Conference. Whether he will be able to play in Sunday's showdown at the Los Angeles Lakers, however, remains in doubt.

The Spurs do not believe Ginobili's injury is serious, but with the playoffs looming and an invitation to them already secure, Popovich has decided to err on the side of health and caution.

Even in the midst of a Botox-tight playoff chase that could leave the Spurs anywhere from first to sixth in the West.

“The No. 1 thing going into the playoffs is health,” Popovich said.

“None of us can win if we don't have all our horses.”

For now, the Spurs seem to have too many horses coming up lame. Ginobili joins Robert Horry (left knee contusion) and Brent Barry (left calf strain) on the injured list.

One encouraging sign: Barry, who has not played since re-signing with the team on March 23, endured one of his most strenuous workouts Thursday. Still, there is no firm timetable for him to return to the lineup.

Ginobili's injury comes with the Spurs' offense in the midst of a power outage.

The Spurs have scored less than 80 points in three-straight games, including a 90-64 loss at Utah that matched the lowest-scoring game in club history.

On Wednesday, the Spurs held the high-octane Suns 14 points below their season average — and still lost by 17. In that game, the Spurs' Big Three of Duncan, Ginobili and Tony Parker accounted for just one basket in the fourth quarter.

“That's not good, obviously,” Parker said. “But I think our team has a lot of experience, and a lot of vets on the team. We can fix that pretty fast.”

If there's one saving grace for the Spurs heading down the stretch, it's that defensively they seem to be rounding into postseason form.

Four of the Spurs' past five foes have shot 41 percent or less and, until the Suns' most recent visit, they hadn't allowed more than 92 points since a 93-91 loss to Boston on St. Patrick's Day.

“Defensively, we've always stressed that's what wins championships,” guard Jacque Vaughn said. “If we were to have a problem we'd choose offense. Defensively, it's good to be solid this time of year.”

Ever the defensive-minded sort, Popovich would agree. But he also realizes the reality of another basketball adage: You can't win if you can't score.

“It's tough when you're not scoring, not scoring, not scoring,” Popovich said. “Then, every time they come down you've got to make a stop. It makes it really difficult on the defense.

“Our problem in the losses has been that we go stale and stagnant offensively.”

Tonight, the Spurs' most oft-used cure for stale and stagnant will be sitting behind the bench in street clothes.

Whether they can find their scoring fix with Ginobili tied behind their backs remains to be seen.

Princess Pimp
04-11-2008, 02:27 AM
:hang

Mister Sinister
04-11-2008, 02:33 AM
Best idea I think you've ever had. Hurry up, now.

timvp
04-11-2008, 04:06 AM
Now is a good time to throw Barry out there and let him play ~20 minutes. I'd rather the Spurs figure out one way or another now if Barry can play than to be messing around with his minutes in the playoffs. If Barry is done for the season, it'd be best to find that out now.

polandprzem
04-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Now is a good time to throw Barry out there and let him play ~20 minutes. I'd rather the Spurs figure out one way or another now if Barry can play than to be messing around with his minutes in the playoffs. If Barry is done for the season, it'd be best to find that out now.

Barry will be out when he re-injure his calf.
We still have some time before playoffs, you want Pop to rush this thing?

They know better then us about it I think.

And yes - we now have to forget about the rythym going into the playoffs, we have no such luxury.

porscha
04-11-2008, 05:06 AM
hey...barry, it's time to produce some mango and stop just being a tree :madrun

Bruno
04-11-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm puzzled about Barry's injury.
The first diagnostic was 3 to 4 weeks out but Barry has been out for 11 weeks. :spin

I wonder what is the exact reason of this huge difference.

timvp
04-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm puzzled about Barry's injury.
The first diagnostic was 3 to 4 weeks out but Barry has been out for 11 weeks. :spin

I wonder what is the exact reason of this huge difference.He just keeps re-hurting it. He re-injured it again working out after he re-signed. He supposedly hurt it again on Tuesday when he was trying to convince the coaches he'd be able to play against the Suns.

It sucks because this is exactly what happened to cause Jon Barry to retire :(

remingtonbo2001
04-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Best idea I think you've ever had. Hurry up, now.

:lol

Lebowski Brickowski
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Brent hasn't played since Jan. 24th :spless:

honestfool84
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM

if you want, id be more than happy to photograph this event for you, FREE of charge!

(just as proof to everyone else in this forum you're really gone)

Princess Pimp
04-11-2008, 01:27 PM
if you want, id be more than happy to photograph this event for you, FREE of charge!

(just as proof to everyone else in this forum you're really gone)

What I meant is that Spurs fans should hang themselves, because No Manu means this team is not going far this season.