PDA

View Full Version : Robinson Named Finalist For Basketball's Human Spirit Award

duncan228
04-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I didn't see this posted, sorry if I missed it.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/mannie_jackson_david_robinson_080407.html

David Robinson Named Finalist For Mannie Jackson Basketball’s Human Spirit Award

SPRINGFIELD, MA – The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today that Sonny Hill, Alonzo Mourning, and David Robinson have been named finalists for The Mannie Jackson – Basketball’s Human Spirit Award presented by CSX, created to honor individuals who have incorporated basketball into their efforts to contribute to the greater good of society.
The Mannie Jackson – Basketball’s Human Spirit Award recipient is given annually to an individual who has found the game of basketball a contributing aspect to their personal growth and accomplishment, a place to develop an understanding of others, and an avenue that helped shape that individual’s growth into a recognized visionary leader in the greater community in which they serve. The inaugural winner of The Mannie Jackson was Dikembe Mutombo of the Houston Rockets.

Additional criteria for Award candidates include embracing the core values of the game: hard-work, striving to improve and a commitment to others. Beyond the game, candidates must reflect the values of Mannie Jackson’s life-long mission to overcome obstacles; challenge the status quo, take responsibility for his or her actions while seeking the highest standard of excellence. Award candidates will be a recognized leader and catalyst for change in their community and an individual who leads by example, demonstrates a philosophy of respectfulness, teamwork, commitment, and human compassion in all aspects of their lives.

Finalists were chosen from a pool of nominations by a Finalists Selection Committee appointed by the Hall of Fame and Mr. Jackson. The 2008 Award winner will be chosen by a blue ribbon committee comprised of national and international business and community leaders, Hall of Famers and others with significant experience and success in improving communities worldwide.

David Robinson is a former NBA star who retired from the game of basketball in 2003 after 14 seasons with the San Antonio Spurs. “The Admiral,” as he was nicknamed, was one of only five players to score more than 70 points in a single game. In 1991, Robinson visited with fifth graders at Gates Elementary School in San Antonio and challenged them to finish school and go to college. He offered a $2,000 scholarship to those who did and awarded an extra $8,000 to each of those students who completed his challenge. David, and his wife, Valerie, founded the Carver Academy in San Antonio in September 2001. To date, the Robinsons have donated over $9 million to the school, the largest contribution ever made by a professional athlete. In March 2003, the NBA renamed its award for outstanding charitable efforts in honor of Robinson because of his exceptional contributions to charity. The winners of the NBA’s Community Assist Award receive the David Robinson Plaque. The award is given out monthly by the league to recognize players for their charitable efforts.

samikeyp
04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
:clap I hope he gets it. Although his receiving the award will bring out the "He was soft" anti-Spur, anti-DRob crowd.

MoSpur
04-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Great to hear it!!! I hope he gets it. He deserves it.

samikeyp
04-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Amen. We need more people, not just athletes, like David Robinson.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-11-2008, 11:44 AM
:clap I hope he gets it. Although his receiving the award will bring out the "He was soft" anti-Spur, anti-DRob crowd.
Charlie Rosen will want to know why he couldn't make it an even $10 mil donation.

Obviously awards are the absolute last reason that he does what he does but it would still be great to see him honored for all the hard work he does. Next up, let's see if we can get him a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame to recognize his outstanding work in commercials and right the injustice that was his Oscar snub for Forget Paris.

Brutalis
04-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Just basketball, why not all of sports? Nice thing regardless, but he doesn't care to be rewarded for it I bet.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2008, 06:25 PM
It's right to think that David doesn't do his great things in the hope that he'll be rewarded by various committees or organizations for that work. I'm sure he'd say that his work is aimed at achieving the right things and that if there is a reward for it, it's one that can't be granted by any mortal.

Saying he doesn't strive to attain accomplishments like this, however, is (as everyone has said) not the equivalent of saying he doesn't deserve the recognition.

I think that its even money that David Doesn't make it into the Hall of Fame Next year because Jordan Is also supposed to go in and we know...

Everyone Outside of 1604 completely hates the Spurs....

I don't think it's even close with regard to the Hall of Fame -- David Robinson's resume is filled with collegiate greatness (he's the #24 college basketball player of All-Time); he's the most decorated male in the history of American Olympic basketball; he's one of the 50 Greatest Players of All-Time; and he's got an incredible NBA resume. Even in a year with Michael Jordan in the class, David Robinson will be among those who are enshrined next year. (so, too, will John Stockton).

T Park
04-11-2008, 06:37 PM
If the world had more David Robinsons, this world would be a nirvana type world.

samikeyp
04-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I think that its even money that David Doesn't make it into the Hall of Fame Next year because Jordan Is also supposed to go in and we know...

Everyone Outside of 1604 completely hates the Spurs....

They pick more than one person.....DRob is in. :toast

CubanMustGo
04-11-2008, 10:39 PM
DRob will get in but of course he (and everyone else) will be totally lost in the media hype surrounding Jordan.

Guajalote
04-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Knowing David, I think the only reward that he will be eager for will be when he hears God tell him, "Well done, good and faithful servant: you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things: enter into the joy of your Lord."

Sec24Row7
04-12-2008, 12:33 AM
If the world had more David Robinsons, this world would be a nirvana type world.

With an 8 foot standard on doorways.

Crookshanks
04-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Knowing David, I think the only reward that he will be eager for will be when he hears God tell him, "Well done, good and faithful servant: you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things: enter into the joy of your Lord."
:tu You are exactly right! That is the true essence of David Robinson. He's thankful for all that basketball has brought him because it allows him to give back so much more.

alamo50
04-13-2008, 06:00 AM
This is David's legacy.
No statues or bronze plaques needed nor wanted.

Avitus1
04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
It would be nice if he got that especially considering all the hardwork he puts in for stuff like this.

ClingingMars
04-13-2008, 12:05 PM