PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sign DerMarr Johnson

Los Spurs
04-11-2008, 12:04 PM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed guard/forward DerMarr Johnson. Per team policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The former University of Cincinnati Bearcat was first signed by San Antonio on 12/29. He appeared in three games for Spurs where he averaged 4.0 points on .556 (5-9) shooting. Johnson was waived by the Spurs on 1/7.

The 27-year-old Johnson has spent the majority 2007-08 season with the Austin Toros, the Spurs affiliate in the NBA Development League. In 43 games with the Toros, Johnson averaged 17.2 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists while earning All-NBA D-League Honorable mention accolades.

San Antonio is the fourth team the 6-9 Johnson has played for in the NBA. He has also made stops in Atlanta, New York and Denver during his seven-year NBA career. He was originally selected by Atlanta in the first round of the 2000 NBA Draft, with the sixth overall pick. In his career he has appeared in 342 regular season NBA games, averaging 6.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in 17.3 minutes.

MoSpur
04-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I had a feeling that would happen. I just knew it. To me it makes good sense. With Barry and Manu out, why not. I expect to see a lot of him tonight since Manu is out and since we're facing the Sonics.

2centsworth
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
is he playoff eligible?

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
He is a very good player, and arguably better than Barry at this point in his career...

A good move for the Spurs....I have season tickets to the Toros and DeMarr is probably their best player.....

A good addition, and YES he is playoff eligible.

DD

sribb43
04-11-2008, 12:12 PM
LOL...again, how many times are they going to sign this guy

AFBlue
04-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I wonder if the Spurs would've taken Williams had he been available....

Just a thought.

leemajors
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I guess jones will get picked up by the nuggets again now?

SenorSpur
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
With all the trouble they've had scoring, they need somebody else that can score the basketball. Good move.

PM5K
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM

MoSpur
04-11-2008, 12:34 PM
They should have signed Earl Boydkins instead of Damon Stoudamire if they wanted help with scoring. That's all that guy looks to do is score.

Whisky Dog
04-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Might as well. Not much else left to try.

smeagol
04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
What kind of name is DerMarr?

First time I come accross it . . .

Whisky Dog
04-11-2008, 12:40 PM

Do you really have to ask?

Brutalis
04-11-2008, 12:44 PM
He goes for 50 tonight book it!

ducks
04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
not thrilled with this mostly because I think manu's injury could be worse then what people think

jag
04-11-2008, 12:45 PM

:lmao

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061101140754AA1alum

SenorSpur
04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
not thrilled with this mostly because I think manu's injury could be worse then what people think

If it is, it doesn't matter who they sign because the Spurs wont last very long in the playoffs without Manu or the absence of any one of the big three.

urunobili
04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Good sign.. is this just for the remainder of the season?

Brutalis
04-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Legit question, and look at the people bitching about the question. Haha.

My dad is a total racist, he claims their slang is so bad doctors don't know what they're saying so they just write it the best way the can.

:rolleyes

Bruno
04-11-2008, 12:55 PM
He knows the system, has some NBA experience and is a good shooter.
Given Spurs needs, time constraint and available players, I think that he was the best choice for the playoffs.

I wished that Spurs sign a project like Sean Banks or Marcus Williams but given Barry's injury, signing a vet like DerMarr is maybe cleverer.

kskonn
04-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Yea I agree, it could also mean that Barry will not be back for PO. either way resorting to a d leauger 10 days before the playoffs is not a good sign.

Princess Pimp
04-11-2008, 01:21 PM
LOL Dermarr Johnson?? lol :lol

Desperate move by a desperate organization that is going nowhere this season.

Budkin
04-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Says the fan of the team that is getting eliminated in round 1.

Princess Pimp
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Says the fan of the team that is getting eliminated in round 1.
By Who? The Spurs?

Get real!!!

No Tim Donaghy to help the Spurs out this time!!!

Sweet!

MoSpur
04-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I wasn't to excited about watching tonight's game because its the Sonics, but I want to see what DeMarr can offer. Plus I want to see which Spurs are going to step up in Manu's absence.

SenorSpur
04-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Says the fan of the team that went out and signed every available free agent and available player via trade that was available on the market over the past 2 seasons. Grant Hill, James Jones, James Banks, Sean Marks, Gordon Girecik, and of course, the Big Daddy.

And don't get me started on how Jalen Rose was signed last season right before the end of the season and was touted by your org as the supposed "missing piece" :lol

This also comes from the fan of a team that has ventured into the Western Conference Finals 3 years in a row and aint got nothing to show for it. Your piss-poor team wont even get by the Fakers this season.

Save your incessant shit-talking for the moment that your team actually wins something significant - if it ever does. :lol

Bruno
04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
And it sucks for Toros. Without Williams and Johnson, winning the D-League title will be damn hard.

polandprzem
04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
And it sucks for Toros. Without Williams and Johnson, winning the D-League title will be damn hard.

:pctoss

1Parker1
04-11-2008, 02:45 PM
He was the 6th overall pick in 2000 and he's been playing in the D-League??? :wow

Mr. Body
04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Why did they get rid of him in the first place? Why didn't they keep Jeremy Richardson?

One of these guys, sopping up minutes at some point, might have helped keep wear and tear off of Finley and Ginobili and give them a boost in the playoffs. Instead we have a gimpy Ginobili now.

Thompson
04-11-2008, 02:53 PM

If that's the case, they might as well recall Ian (when is the D-League title game anyway?). I'd like to at least have him available if Horry and someone else is out for the playoffs.

CyberBob
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Go Boss Slim (http://www.myspace.com/youngslim8)!

MoSpur
04-11-2008, 03:11 PM
He was the 6th overall pick in 2000 and he's been playing in the D-League??? :wow

Things were never the same after he got into that car accident when he was playing for the Hawks. He's comeback and try to rebound, but he hasn't had much success. He has the talent, but for some reason he has'nt had much success in the NBA. I honestly hope he can recover and play to his full potential.

Kori Ellis
04-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Go Boss Slim (http://www.myspace.com/youngslim8)!

From DerMarr's blog ...

me

the most laid back dude ever,i mind my business and dont talk $hit about people behind there back(the world consist of too much of that)i analize everything way to much, everything gotta make sense too me,you cant just say anything and get away wit it ima need u too explain,alot of yall rappers do that Too many rappers cant rap i cant knock yall hustle just cant listen to you.basketball is my life ima alot better than ive been able to show,i love rapping im pretty good wit words but im so quiet and shy gotta work on my delivery and swagger,got 2 beautiful kids demi and dj and they are perfect.i hate make up and weaves really anything fake theres exceptions but u gotta be real nice behind the mask.all flavor airforce ones t-shirts and durags too match,im from dc we do nike boots got all them,i dont like attention but i do wear furs in the winter and ive spent way too much on jewlery (if that makes any sense)dont matter its a fact,i know how ppl think im good at chest cause i always think ahead,before i talk before i act MOST of the time i think how its gonna turn out.ppl gossip way too much and lie yall should all be punished get lives!!!! im to humble i think it a good thing but i need to be a lil more cocky(maybe).girls love dimples,i think that shit gay but i got them and cant help it,ny giants fan for life, ive been thru hell and heaven im truly blessed,thats all i can think of rite now i was just bored holla.

SLIM

timvp
04-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Poor man's Stephen Jackson. I'll take it :tu

He can't do much else other than hit a stand-still three but that alone should help right now.

MajorMike
04-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Some of those comments are just whack. You go on with your bad self ShaniQutorianna and LaShaunderManSon.

MannyIsGod
04-11-2008, 03:28 PM
This is pretty much the smart signing to make. Bobby Jones looked horrible when they brought him in. Out of all the guys that have been brought in Demarr is the only one that makes sense to have on the roster at this point.

Budkin
04-11-2008, 03:29 PM
From DerMarr's blog ...

Holy shit that is freaking hilarious! DerMarr for the huge win!

duncan228
04-11-2008, 03:34 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/04/jeff_mcdonald_a_11.html

Jeff McDonald: A solution for the No-Manu Blues

Well, not really.

The Spurs re-signed DerMarr Johnson today, presumably to a 10-day contract. Johnson, a former first-round draft pick of the Atlanta Hawks, spent 11 days with the Spurs in December and January before winding up back in the D-League.

OK, so he isn't exactly an adequate replacement for the injured Manu Ginobili, but Johnson did make 5 of 9 field-goal tries in three games during his audition in San Antonio earlier this season. It's a start.

A 6-foot-9 swingman with 3-point range, Johnson has played in 342 games in a seven-year NBA career that was sidetracked by a car accident in 2002. He should at least afford the Spurs some depth on the perimeter while Ginobili and Brent Barry work their way back into the lineup.

Meanwhile, Johnson's signing means the end of the Bobby Jones era in San Antonio. Jones' 10-day contract ran out Thursday.

MoSpur
04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I wish he would slash more to the basket instead of just standing and shooting more, but we don't even have anyone on the team right now that can stand and shoot like timvp stated.

Budkin
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Go Melvinjamesmarcusbobbydermarr Sanderswhitewilliamsjonesjohnson Go!!!

Bruno
04-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Denver will sign Bobby Jones.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/11/source-bobby-jones-returning-nuggets/

T Park
04-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Why did they get rid of him in the first place? Why didn't they keep Jeremy Richardson?

One of these guys, sopping up minutes at some point, might have helped keep wear and tear off of Finley and Ginobili and give them a boost in the playoffs. Instead we have a gimpy Ginobili now.

god just put the gun to the temple already.

tav1
04-11-2008, 05:24 PM
god just put the gun to the temple already.

:) winning friends and influencing people as always, the T Park m.o.

The Nba Is Rigged
04-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I love dermarr johnson in my nba live, I use him as SG in my lineup, since he's taller than most Sg's he can shoot over them easily and he can easily block their shots as well. Its a shame he isn't that good in reality...

tav1
04-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Denver will sign Bobby Jones.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/11/source-bobby-jones-returning-nuggets/

no loss to us, but good for him.

Kobayagi
04-11-2008, 05:45 PM
From DerMarr's blog ...

Wow, he writes like a 12-year old. :oops

pad300
04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
no loss to us, but good for him.

That's 7 teams in one f'ing season... He's gonna hold that record forever!!! :elephant

Spurs Brazil
04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Good sign, especially with Manu out

He can score

T Park
04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
:) winning friends and influencing people as always, the T Park m.o.

The schtick he runs has gotten old, and the horse he loves to beat is no longer there, the bones have turned to dust and the dust has been blown away by the wind.

ChumpDumper
04-11-2008, 06:01 PM
And it sucks for Toros. Without Williams and Johnson, winning the D-League title will be damn hard.Actually, I think missing the playoffs is a real possibility. Not signing a replacement for Marcus is biting them in the ass.

Bruno
04-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually, I think missing the playoffs is a real possibility. Not signing a replacement for Marcus is biting them in the ass.

Haven't Toros still clinched a playoff spot ?

Toros have lost a lot of talents lately. It's quite disappointed to see a team ending with its less talented roster of the season for the palyoffs.

ChuckD
04-11-2008, 06:29 PM
He is a very good player, and arguably better than Barry at this point in his career...

A good move for the Spurs....I have season tickets to the Toros and DeMarr is probably their best player.....

DD
He's not better than Barry. There's a reason our offense is struggling now, and it's NOT because we've been lacking DerMarr Johnson. He's pretty much a poor rebounding chucker non-creator. His best asset is probably his 3 point shooting and that's nowhere near Barry class. He's playoff eligible UNLESS they signed him to a 10 day. SA won't be able to get anyone better and we need someone, but DJ on his best day is barely as good as Brent Barry's good day.

anjlbitz
04-11-2008, 06:29 PM
How old is he?

ChuckD
04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Rumor is that he's not injured at all. SA just doesn't want to incur anymore of the league's wrath by saying they're resting people during a tight stretch run for the WC seedings. Manu has looked gassed for the last week or two.

ChuckD
04-11-2008, 06:32 PM
How old is he?
He'll be 28 May 5th.

SenorSpur
04-11-2008, 07:23 PM

What kills me is that Pop claims that he wants to manage minutes; isn't concerned at all about seedings and record. He only wants the team to be healthy come playoff time. So if that's the case, I can't understand why he will never allow himself to "spoon-feed" minutes to 1 or 2 younger players during the season. Surely one of these young swingmen could've garnered a roster spot. Especially with Barry being out most of the year. This simply made no sense at all.

ChuckD
04-11-2008, 08:10 PM
What kills me is that Pop claims that he wants to manage minutes; isn't concerned at all about seedings and record. He only wants the team to be healthy come playoff time. So if that's the case, I can't understand why he will never allow himself to "spoon-feed" minutes to 1 or 2 younger players during the season. Surely one of these young swingmen could've garnered a roster spot. Especially with Barry being out most of the year. This simply made no sense at all.
There have only been 2 teams to ever win the NBA crown with no one averaging even 35 minutes: the 2005 San Antonio Spurs and the 2007 San Antonio Spurs. Pop does manage their minutes. He just prefers players that can play a system and understand it. That precludes most young players. Hell, most veterans struggle their first year here.

T Park
04-11-2008, 08:34 PM

Once again, maybe he knows something that you don't?!

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
dermarr comes back to SA and Bobby Jones comes back to Denver.....

both great bench players for a small amount of time

T Park
04-11-2008, 10:23 PM
you can have him.

his jumper looks like a dead duck.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 11:58 PM
He's not better than Barry. .

I meant at this point in their careers.....Barry is hurt and has the exact same injury that ended his brother Jon's career.

DeMarr is far more athletic than Barry at this point and is healthy...he can help you guys.

DD

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-12-2008, 12:50 AM
you can have him.

his jumper looks like a dead duck.

must have been the Spurs shooting coach :lol He shot 39% from 3 whilst in Denver.

It's just a signing for the sake of having a non-guaranteed contract, same as the Howard Eisley signing. Eisley ( and some 2nd rd picks) managed to nab JR Smith and so who knows what can happen in the offseason :smokin :lol

Princess Pimp
04-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Is this the best the Spurs could do?

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of unemployed players out there that are better than this scrub!

WildcardManu
04-12-2008, 01:58 AM

Desperate is a team like the Suns who need to get over that mountain in the West. What is that team called? Umm... oh yeah, the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Haven't Toros still clinched a playoff spot ?
They have now :hat

Quasar
04-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Hey Chump, I was taking a look at today's boxscore and saw that there are a few new players I'd never heard of who are playing pretty well.

Would you be kind enough to tell us your thoughts on the 'interesting' players?

Kenton Paulino
Andre Barrett
Darvin Ham
Josh Gross
Ian Mahinmi
Justin Bowen
Carldell Johnson
Serge Angounou
Yemi Nicholson

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20080411/ABQAUS/boxscore.html

ChumpDumper
04-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Kenton Paulino - one-dimensional, undersized SG. Usually reliable outside shot has been streaky lately, but got the start last night which seemed to help.

Andre Barrett - NBA vet PG. Too small to defend in the NBA but as good a point as you will find in the D-League.

Darvin Ham - 34 year old undersized PF who was able to play eight seasons in the NBA with his hustle. Can still get up - had about eight dunks last night. Reported to be making the transition to coaching/FO.

Josh Gross - Incredible athlete who hasn't quite gotten into a groove as a Toro, though getting a start last night seemed to help. Said to be a bit of a whiner in Albuquerque, his physical abilities alone make it worth taking a shot at developing him.

Ian Mahinmi - Never heard of him.

Justin Bowen - College PF still making the transition to pro swingman. Jack-of-all-trades who has been called on to play four positions and guard five this season. Needs to improve his outside shooting if he wants to take the next step.

Carldell Johnson - Another undersized PG. Needs to look for his own offense more especially since he has developed a pretty decent outside three-point shot.

Serge Angounou - Another undersized PF, but has no chance to be anything else. A good jumper is his only perimeter skill. Always hustles but the results this season have been mixed.

Yemi Nicholson - A very recent acquisition, he hasn't seen much playing time. When he does play more than a couple of minutes, he seems to play pretty well offensively. Can hit the free-throw line jumper and stay out of Ian's way.

It's been an interesting year considering only four players have lasted the entire season. That's life in the D-League.

BonnerDynasty
04-12-2008, 12:16 PM

lolz

Quasar
04-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks for filling us in :) Paulino had very good numbers in that game, so I was wondering what he was worth.

Darvin Ham seems like a very nice signing for them, giving the Toros someone else to play off of.

Good to know that Josh Gross ain't that gross!

:lol about Ian... I copied and pasted all the names in the box score and forgot to remove him.

Do you think they're gonna miss Demarr Johnson in the playoffs, having people like Andre Barrett + Paulino to count on?

Also... although Ian's numbers have been good, has he been dominating in D-League games like Tim and David do, changing the trend of games in the favour of the Toros to the point where opposing coaches need to game-plan for him or is he more of a player who gets good numbers without being an impact player?

Kenton Paulino - one-dimensional, undersized SG. Usually reliable outside shot has been streaky lately, but got the start last night which seemed to help.

Andre Barrett - NBA vet PG. Too small to defend in the NBA but as good a point as you will find in the D-League.

Darvin Ham - 34 year old undersized PF who was able to play eight seasons in the NBA with his hustle. Can still get up - had about eight dunks last night. Reported to be making the transition to coaching/FO.

Josh Gross - Incredible athlete who hasn't quite gotten into a groove as a Toro, though getting a start last night seemed to help. Said to be a bit of a whiner in Albuquerque, his physical abilities alone make it worth taking a shot at developing him.

Ian Mahinmi - Never heard of him.

Justin Bowen - College PF still making the transition to pro swingman. Jack-of-all-trades who has been called on to play four positions and guard five this season. Needs to improve his outside shooting if he wants to take the next step.

Carldell Johnson - Another undersized PG. Needs to look for his own offense more especially since he has developed a pretty decent outside three-point shot.

Serge Angounou - Another undersized PF, but has no chance to be anything else. A good jumper is his only perimeter skill. Always hustles but the results this season have been mixed.

Yemi Nicholson - A very recent acquisition, he hasn't seen much playing time. When he does play more than a couple of minutes, he seems to play pretty well offensively. Can hit the free-throw line jumper and stay out of Ian's way.

It's been an interesting year considering only four players have lasted the entire season. That's life in the D-League.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for filling us in :) Paulino had very good numbers in that game, so I was wondering what he was worth.When his shot is on, he's very valuable. Got some nice steals last night too.

Darvin Ham seems like a very nice signing for them, giving the Toros someone else to play off of.They needed consistency at the PF spot. The leadership is a bonus.

Do you think they're gonna miss Demarr Johnson in the playoffs, having people like Andre Barrett + Paulino to count on?DerMarr will definitely be missed. I'm not sure Barrett can be counted on to score 20 in the first half like he did last night, and DerMarr's length was very valuable to the Toros' defense.

Also... although Ian's numbers have been good, has he been dominating in D-League games like Tim and David do, changing the trend of games in the favour of the Toros to the point where opposing coaches need to game-plan for him or is he more of a player who gets good numbers without being an impact player?Ian is absolutely game-planned. He has been the most important player for the Toros offensively and defensively. Ian is routinely double-teamed and opposing offenses with post or penetrating scorers try to run at Ian all the time to get him in foul trouble. It will be interesting to see what he does in the NBA, since he won't receive that kind of attention right off the bat.

Bruno
04-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Yesterday's game was quite weird.
Toros, especially Barrett and Paulino, shoot the ball really well in the first half but they blew again a big lead (25 points)against Albuquerque by being out-worked on the boards. This time they had the resources to win the game.

Nicholson hasn't played and I've noticed that he isn't anymore on Toros roster. If he is gone, Toros will badly need some fresh blood with only 8 available players.

PS : Julius Hodge is a dumbass.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Nicholson is on the roster and was suited up. For some reason he never got listed on the D-League website. I don't know why he isn't playing.

Rebounding is a recurring problem for this team lately, especially the enormous number of offensive boards they give away.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Some pics from last night:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020588.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020611.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020619.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020623.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020630.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020632.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020644.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020656.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020657.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020668.jpg
(caught the official photographer's flash on this one)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020710.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/tasteoflog/08-04-12%20Toros-Thunderbirds/P1020781.jpg

ChumpDumper
04-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Hardwood Paroxysm had a live blog of the game:

http://hardwoodparoxysm.blogspot.com/2008/04/d-league-liveblog-thunderbirds-at-toros.html

T Park
04-12-2008, 02:50 PM
:lol

Whos the big fat tatted up white guy?

Looks like some dude you'd see down at the Y.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Kevin Pittsnogle

T Park
04-12-2008, 02:54 PM
What a waste of talent.

Lay off the burger king dumbass.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah, the Toros waived Pittsnogle when they found out he didn't want to do anything to improve his conditioning. He can really shoot though -- just nothing else.

manufor3
04-12-2008, 02:59 PM

DD
you like dermarr?

Quasar
04-12-2008, 03:35 PM
They needed consistency at the PF spot. The leadership is a bonus.

Yes... I made a typo up there... I meant that it gives Ian someone consistent to play off of, and perhaps teach him the guile that only comes with experience.

DerMarr will definitely be missed. I'm not sure Barrett can be counted on to score 20 in the first half like he did last night, and DerMarr's length was very valuable to the Toros' defense.

I thought DeMarr was only a good shooter but a lazy defender? You don't seem confident in their playoff hopes, eh? :)

Ian is absolutely game-planned. He has been the most important player for the Toros offensively and defensively. Ian is routinely double-teamed and opposing offenses with post or penetrating scorers try to run at Ian all the time to get him in foul trouble. It will be interesting to see what he does in the NBA, since he won't receive that kind of attention right off the bat.
That sounds great - it probably means you disagree with TimVp's assertion that Ian == Elson. Can't wait to see him on the Spurs.

Would he be eligible for the playoffs if he is brought back AFTER the NBDL playoffs are over and the NBA playoff is under way?

ChumpDumper
04-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I thought DeMarr was only a good shooter but a lazy defender? You don't seem confident in their playoff hopes, eh? :)We're talking about the D-League here. DerMarr is a valuable player at that level -- less so at the NBA level. As for the playoffs, it's going to be a lot tougher than if the Toros still had Langford, Williams and Johnson. Fortunately, pretty much every team has been affected by call-ups and attrition. I think they have a good chance of making the finals, but I don't think they will win.

That sounds great - it probably means you disagree with TimVp's assertion that Ian == Elson. Can't wait to see him on the Spurs.As far as overall impact goes, LJ might not be far off. Ian's upside is the difference.

Would he be eligible for the playoffs if he is brought back AFTER the NBDL playoffs are over and the NBA playoff is under way?That's a good question. There was a big mess last season regarding this issue, and most of the assigned players were recalled before the playoffs. I can only hope that it has been resolved and assigned players can play in both playoffs. It's the only thing that makes sense for the NBA and the D-League.

Bruno
04-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice pics. Thanks.

Pittsnogle is a strange dude. He even shot some 26 footers in this game. :spin

baseline bum
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Fuck, I didn't even open this thread the first time I saw it, thinking mouse bumped a 3-month old thread or something.

DaDakota
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
you like dermarr?

I think he is ok, and could thrive in the right situation......yes.

DD

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Hey, I cover the Toros for the Austin Chronicle sports blog and the D-League for Hardwood Paroxysm.

Chump laid out a great analysis of the current roster. After four losses, including two huge ones to Colorado, the Toros finally clinched their division Friday.

They almost blew a huge lead to the T-Birds after scoring 40 points in the first freaking quarter, before Ian took over and put it away late.

Even after losing Langford (who's a moron for going overseas, he would have at least made a 10-day this season), Marcus, and DerMarr, this team has the talent to compete for a championship and the coaching to win one. Especially with Dakota and Sioux Falls in the Toros side of the bracket. Getting Colorado to the tough side of the bracket will help tremendously.

Gross' first game with the Toros I thought he was terrible. Last night he showed more athleticism than about 80% of D-League players. If the Spurs can keep him in their incubator, he could turn into someone that can contribute.

DerMarr is not going to come in and score a ton of points, he'll be lucky to get 5, 10 minutes burn. But he is a tremendous spot up shooter. As was mentioned earlier, he could be terrific if he could commit to attacking the basket, but he pulls to the perimeter too much in transition. He's good at closing out on defense, but he struggles working through screens. Which might be bad against team like, oh, I don't know, the Western Conference.

He's also got a handles issue. Every three games or so, he'll just get a case of the butterfingers. His turnovers come in bunches.

I will say that when he's on, he's terrific. His confidence soars and he'll work to create his shot. His transition defense is also solid, and it's the one area where he really works to use his length and athleticism.

As far other players, if Justin Bowen could add 15 pounds, he could add something. He doesn't have a whole lot of physical advantages, but you don't need them to play small forward in the Spurs system.

Oh, and Ian Mahinmi eats the souls of his opponents, as long as he stays out of foul trouble. That's all.

Should be a great game this weekend at the ACC.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Nice blog, BTW. :tu

T Park
04-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Which might be bad against team like, oh, I don't know, the Western Conference.

:lol

Oh, and Ian Mahinmi eats the souls of his opponents, as long as he stays out of foul trouble. That's all.

Yeah the foul thing is a concern, he still doesn't seem to have learned how to play with it.

Not a good sign.

Quasar
04-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Nice blog, BTW. :tu
+1. Nice blog hardwoodparoxysm, I laughed at some of your comments, although some things whizzed by my head because I am not a consistent D-league follower!

Chump thanks for your Toros game thoughts - I'm surprised I'm even interested enough to follow D-league boxscores now! BTW - nice pics! It looks like you were very near to the court. Are the tickets expensive?

Bruno
04-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Toros have acquired Jamar Smith. :smokin

Quasar
04-13-2008, 11:24 AM
The NBDL site lists him as a Forward, but doesn't specify whether he's a SF of PF.

Any thoughts on him? From his stats, doesn't look like he'd displace Darvin Ham who seems pretty good.

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Qasar asked some more questions about Ian, so I thought I'd answer them over here.

He's still learning how to take over games. Remember he's only 21, and it's a new experience for him to be the core and leader for a club. I've seen him usually be more passive down the stretch but in the last few games, he's really tried to become "the man."

Against the T-Birds, needing a win to lock up a 1st round bye and a 2nd round home playoff game, the T-birds were coming back. Ian had a look on his face like, "Okay, screw this. We are NOT losing this game." SLAM. SLAM. REJECTION. SLAM. BALLGAME. Have a nice trip back to Albuqeurque, and a nice offseason, T-birds! Don't let the TexMex hit you in the back on the way out!

It was a big step for him.

His passing is solid out of the block. He needs some help on the drive and kick. He has good decision making when it comes to figuring whether to pass out of the double or work out of it. That's something they've worked with him on this year. He needs more work on his midrange game and how to pass out of the faceup to the cutter. When he's in the post and Quin has a weak side cutter that can effectively get to the basket? It's pretty much unstoppable.

I miss Marcus on this team so much. I'm glad he got called up, but for a while they were running the high pick and roll with Marcus and Ian, otherwise known as the "Defense is Futile" attack. I can tell you that Darvin will be in the starting lineup and get a ton of minutes. Even at 35, he's got more strength and athleticism than a lot of the guys on the court, and his game is just so refined at a pro level. They need a bench scorer. Quin's in a bind right now, because he needs to start Gross because he need JB off the bench for scoring, but JB hasn't responded well off the bench. When he's started, he's gone for as high as 32, but when he comes off the bench, it's like it kills his confidence. I will tell you Gross has an attitude. He's only been with the team a week and was yelling at his teammates for not helping him out on an inbounds. I saw Darvin Ham come over to him and give him what looked like a "Simmer down, young fella" talk. Darvin's going to be in Mavericks camp next year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a roster spot. Avery likes him a lot.

I didn't get to attend last night's game, but God knows I'm regretting now not asking Quin if he would rest his starters. He rested both Andre and Ian, and they still scored 109. I didn't ask because I didn't figure there was any way he would. Turns out I was wrong.

HUGE break for the Toros with Colorado getting put in the other bracket. Dakota without Ahearn and Sioux Falls without Kasib are totally different teams. With as well as the Toros have played at home, I think there's a good chance they'll make it to the Finals. Which will probably mean two games in either Idaho or LA... ugh. At least Utah's lost Allred. LA has an absurd amount of talent right now.

Quasar
04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Very nice! Sounds like Ian could turn out to be a poor man's D-Rob, minus the muscles: late adopter of the game + athletic freak.

One possible issue of integrating Ian with the Spurs would be how he'd play besides Tim. Wonder if he'd have enough space to play... or vice-versa, get in Tim's way every time down low.

You mentionned on your blog that Ian has a finger roll? Rare skill for a big! How's his midrange?

Also, this is the first time I heard Marcus had some special plays off of Ian. Many here said that Marcus just ain't good enough to cut it on the NBA. Since he seems so good on the Toros, I guess there must be a very sharp difference in skills between the D-League and the NBA, which doesn't bode well for Ian being a consistent 15-20mins performer on the Spurs next year. Hope he can at least contribute more than Bonner! Nevertheless, 2009 looks like a very exciting year for the Spurs, with Ian and Splitter coming up!

Welcome, by the way :) Stick around and post more often! It's nice to have different perspectives on the 'Mini' Spurs.

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Well here's the best way he works with Tim. He's got good knowledge of spacing. He won't get in the way. He and Ham or the other PF/C on the floor almost always seem to have solid spacing. With him in the backside role similar to what Oberto does now, he could be deadly when he adds some more weight. Also bear in mind that Quin has said that the Toros have incorporated about 35% of the Spurs playbook directly into their offensive and defensive sets. Ian's biggest advantage in the post is his footwork. It's a thing of beauty. He's got the European approach where's he's exceptionally light on his feet but now he's adding the American aggressiveness. His right side post to the floater mid-lane is gorgeous. It's only when he's up against a big body that forces him to his fadeaway that he struggles, and that will come as he gets bigger.

Midrange needs work. He's got good form, it's just not his comfort zone and you can see he's not sure whether he should shoot from there or not. He's more comfortable in the post or driving to the basket and destroying anything in his way. Let me put it this way. He doesn't have Oberto's body yet, but he has about a bazillion more offensive moves. He's got great versatility for a big man.

Anyone that says that Marcus isn't good enough to play in the NBA saw him at the beginning of this year and not the end. He's 21 as well. You have to give these guys some development time. Not everybody reaches their full potential at 18 or 20. Look at most of the Spurs. It's when they've had a chance to refine their game that they've become consistent contributors. Marcus has all the tools, he just needs the time and confidence.

I will say that the experience Ian is getting in the D-League is invaluable. He's playing against NBA level talent (his game against Cheik Samb was a huge learning experience for him.), and learning a ton about what to improve on. One of the biggest things he can provide the Spurs is a defensive playmaker. He can swat, make no mistake. Seven blocks in a game two weeks ago. He needs work on staying with his man and of course, staying out of foul trouble, but those are young guy things that are coachable. I talked to assistant coach Roy Rogers and he said that was the biggest asset Ian has right now, more than his size and touch, it's that he's extremely coachable. He's a good, soft spoken kid that WANTS to get better. He's still growing, still maturing.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-13-2008, 01:35 PM
:tu
Thanks hardwood.

T Park
04-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Anyone that says that Marcus isn't good enough to play in the NBA saw him at the beginning of this year and not the end. He's 21 as well. You have to give these guys some development time. Not everybody reaches their full potential at 18 or 20. Look at most of the Spurs. It's when they've had a chance to refine their game that they've become consistent contributors. Marcus has all the tools, he just needs the time and confidence.

Now the Clippers have rights to him.

Nice job :pctoss

T Park
04-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Hardwood,

would you say he could play a Malik Rose type role next year in that, come in, get some plays run through the post for him, play good interior D, and just give a really good overall energy off the bench?

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 03:40 PM
You can run a half-court set through Mahinmi. He's going to be able to score against some big men in the league, because there's a shortage of elite ones. If you put him on the floor with Splitter, you're going to have Jefferson-Gomes lite with more offensive versatility in a set they're familiar with.

I HIGHLY recommend sending Splitter to the Toros next year and having those two annihilate everything in their path till March, then calling one or both up.

T Park
04-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't think Splitter, nor Mahinmi, will be with the Toros next year.

Splitter DEFINATELY won't be, hes too good for the NBDL.

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 03:55 PM
You've got to stop thinking of the D-League as a pure minor league and think of it as a development league. The league has hired a big man coach, and all he does is visit the big man prospects and improve their games. In 2011, the next CBA will probably dictate that teams can send guys down for rehab work. I've talked to a lot of guys, including some NBA rookies on assignment, and in the beginning they're frustrated with the D-League. By the end of the year, they're glad they spent their time there. Do you know that D-League teams practice about 50% more than NBA teams? If you're a role, bench player, and you're not getting playing time, and you're not getting practice time, isn't that going to damage your game?

Mahinmi is a definite maybe for being in Austin next year. They like his progress and they don't want to rush him. Splitter's the same way. Why would you want to throw him to the lions with no integration?

I really like what the Suns did with Alando Tucker. They put him on a regular schedule with the T-birds and the Suns. He'd spend two weeks with the Suns, then four weeks in Albuqerque. Then two weeks with the Suns. It kept him involved with the team, and let him get the time necessary to work on his game.

T Park
04-13-2008, 03:57 PM
I will put cash money, on Tiago Splitter not spending minute one in the D league.

You've got to stop thinking of the D-League as a pure minor league

When Loren Woods makes the all star team, its a minor league.

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm not saying it's not a minor league, I'm saying that's not what it does. It's not built for entertainment. It's built to develop players. So you think Splitter can just jump in and immediately contribute?

Interesting. Could be. There are a lot of first year guys that CAN come in and play, but the D-league lets you develop and coach them until they're at the best possible point.

It's definitely a sub-league, less than Europe in a lot of respects, but it's better for integration. You're going to see it used a lot more in the next ten years.

ChuckD
04-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Splitter's a more finished product that Mahinmi. He was playing in the WCs at 17, and has been playing professionally in Europe since then. I think if you have a young player who needs serious development like Ian, the DLeague is the perfect place for him, and I agree that he may see time there next year. I don't believe that Tiago is in that same situation. With oldsters Horry and maybe Thomas rolling off next year, he'll fucking play minutes in the Big League, IMHO. If both of the oldtimers roll off, your choice is him or Bonner for the #3 big. I'll take Tiago any day for 20-25 minutes.

T Park
04-13-2008, 04:12 PM
So you think Splitter can just jump in and immediately contribute?

With his skill set and international experience? Yes sir I do.

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, I guess if the Spanish ACB is the same level as the NBA, he should be ready for the jump. Regardless, from what I hear, Ian's definitely going to at least start next year in Austin, unless he takes a huge jump over the summer.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Toros have acquired Jamar Smith. :smokinOh, hell yeah!

I don't know why it took so long to sign him, but he should be an excellent complement to Ian as he has decent range but can easily move to the post to score when Ian is out. Much more offensively skilled than Ham or Angounou, and a better perimeter defender as well. Grabbed about 8 boards a game last year, too. If he's in game shape -- I have no reason to think not since the Japan Superleague just ended a couple of weeks ago -- this move puts the Toros on even footing with any other team in the playoffs. :hungry:

T Park
04-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, I guess if the Spanish ACB is the same level as the NBA, he should be ready for the jump

Its better than the NBDL.

Plus hes also in euroleague competition, not just Spanish ACB.

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't know about that. LA with Karl, Wendell White, Jelani McCoy, and especially Sean Banks, who's first on two coaches I talked to for callups, that's pretty rough. And then Utah, with Almond (who is a nightmare matchup for the Toros, by the way), Utah's damn good, too. But I really like Andre, Ian, Gross, Smith, Ham. That's a solid core. Now if Colorado can just get to the Finals, so Austin gets homecourt in the Finals, assuming we can take care of business against Dakota/Sioux Falls.

T Park
04-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Jelani McCoy :lmao

Guys like Gasol, Pekovic would eat and crap NBDL stiffs like that 20 times a day.

So yeah the euroleague and ACB league is tougher..

ChumpDumper
04-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Overall the ACB is a much higher level than the D-League. The D-League is closer to the 2nd leagues in the strong basketball countries like the LEB in Spain or Lega Due in Italy, although the best D-League players routinely find roster spots in the 1st leagues in Europe like the ACB and Serie A. Some of the board Euros could argue for days about the relative levels of each Euro league (I intentionally left out the Greek leagues for this very reason), but I'll stick with this as a rough guide for now.

T Park
04-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Agreed.

Splitter's time in europe, along with his years of play with the Brazilian national team will be sufficient to make the club.

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Again, you're confusing. I'm not saying the D-League is that level (yet). I'm saying that getting him into the system will improve him to a point where the shock won't be as hard. Working in what is essentially a stripped Spurs system will make it easier on him. My argument isn't that the D-League is equal to the ACB. It's clearly not. But there's a reason that more and more teams are investing in D-League teams, because they know they can control the development of their younger players. But hey, throw Tiago in there. Can't hurt. There have been a ton of guys that have made the jump from Europe immediately and excelled right off the bat (Scola).

T Park
04-13-2008, 05:20 PM
There have been a ton of guys that have made the jump from Europe immediately and excelled right off the bat (Scola

ginobili, gasol........

The list is endless.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Sure, in Tiago's case it just depends on whether the Spurs can use him immediately or not. Given his experience in the highest levels of play in the ACB, Euroleague and FIBA, I think the Spurs will be able to use him as soon as he gets off the plane.

T Park
04-13-2008, 05:28 PM
There will be 2 big man openings for next year so i think Tiago takes one of em.

hardwoodparoxysm
04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Bear in mind that I'm the guy that thinks Brandan Wright, Julian Wright and Acie Law should have spent the first three months in the D-League. I think just getting playing time and spending time getting feedback from coaches and scouts in their respective front offices will help. Tiago could come in and light it on fire. It really depends on how willing Pop is to play a first year guy. I can tell you that being on the bench and not playing, even in the NBA, does NOTHING for your career, and can hurt your game because of the lack of practicing.

Bruno
04-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I think that both Splitter and Mahinmi will have a fair chance to crack Spurs rotation at the start of next year.
After it will be up to them to make it or not.
If one or both struggle next year, he could be send (with his agreement) in D-League.

Quasar
04-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey Hardwood, thanks for your insightful comments. Interesting take about sending Tiago to the DLeague first, to get acclimated.

Well... I guess it all depends on how well he'd accept a 'demotion'.

I can tell you that being on the bench and not playing, even in the NBA, does NOTHING for your career, and can hurt your game because of the lack of practicing.

All NBA teams do hold practice sessions, with main team vs subs, etc. But it is indeed true it would make some sense to allow Tiago to destroy D-Leaguers for a few weeks just to get more confidence about playing against athletically gifted Americans, as well as getting to know the Spurs plays. Practice is good, but is far from the real thing - nerves and hostile environments greatly affect the outcome of games!