PDA

View Full Version : Tmac or Dirk - Whom would you rather have?

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM
If you could have either player on your team, and have them be healthy, whom would you rather have?

Tmac, or Dirk?

And why?

For me it is Tmac he makes his teamates better. He is not a leader, but he can do anything on the court....

He just needs a good supporting cast to advance in the playoffs, but I would rather have him than Dirk.

DD

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
The Mavs fans come out and vote quickly......

:D

DD

bus driver
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
a healthy Tmac

"And why?"
needs no answer if you seen him play

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Vote: Dirk

Why: He can look straight ahead with both eyes forward.

SAGambler
04-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I take Dirk.

Simply because even though he may be a choker under pressure, he isn't near the choker that T-Mac has shown himself to be.

RocketsDynasty
04-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Gotta go with Dirk.

DarrinS
04-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd take the 7 foot wingman

Xylus
04-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Uhh, Dirk, and it isn't even a debate.

One of the clutchest players in the game, the residing MVP, a guy who absolutely makes him teammates better, a winner who has led his team to the Finals.

No disrespect to TMac, but he's injury-prone, has never won a playoff series despite being on a team equipped to do so, and isn't as clutch as Dirk.

stretch
04-11-2008, 01:11 PM
if he hadn't dealt with all the injuries, I MAY say t-mac. i think T-Mac is honestly an even more gifted and skilled player than Kobe, but the constant barrage of injuries have held him back quite a bit. but the fact is, he is not playing at a level that Dirk is playing at.

ludda
04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
A healthy, inspired Tmac can be absolutely dominant but that's a rare sight.

Give me Dirk, who is much more consistent and efficient.

Humble Billy Hayes
04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
T-Mac hasn't popped his second round cherry yet.

Dirk popped his the first time he was in the playoffs.

End thread.

Indazone
04-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Vote: Dirk

Why: He can look straight ahead with both eyes forward.

WINNER!!! LOL

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 01:17 PM
T-Mac is honestly an even more gifted and skilled player than Kobe
Dude are you kidding me? I think T-Mac is a great player, but he's not near Kobe's level. A motivated & healthy Vince Carter is better than T-Mac (although we haven't seen a whole lot of VC motivated & healthy).

stretch
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Dude are you kidding me? I think T-Mac is a great player, but he's not near Kobe's level. A motivated & healthy Vince Carter is better than T-Mac (although we haven't seen a whole lot of VC motivated & healthy).
I disagree. I even know Laker/Kobe fans that think T-Mac is more gifted than Kobe. He has a much smoother game, is a better rebounder, better passer, is bigger and stronger with just as much speed and agility which helps him both on offense and defense, has better shooting range and ability... and when he wants to, he can play just as good of defense as Kobe. T-Mac likewise deals with lack of motivation, although not quite as bad as VC. If he stayed healthy, and played hard on a nightly basis the way Kobe does, I think he would be a better basketball player. When they are both at their very best and healthiest, I think T-Mac is just as hard, if not harder to stop than Kobe (due to his superior size and athleticism).

But that is just my opinion.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I disagree. I even know Laker/Kobe fans that think T-Mac is more gifted than Kobe. He has a much smoother game, is a better rebounder, better passer, is bigger and stronger with just as much speed and agility which helps him both on offense and defense, has better shooting range and ability... and when he wants to, he can play just as good of defense as Kobe. T-Mac likewise deals with lack of motivation, although not quite as bad as VC. If he stayed healthy, and played hard on a nightly basis the way Kobe does, I think he would be a better basketball player. When they are both at their very best and healthiest, I think T-Mac is just as hard, if not harder to stop than Kobe (due to his superior size and athleticism).

I agree with this 100%, the problem with Tmac is that he doesn't come to play every night.......he rests on defense and plays uninspired ball too often.

You also have to surround Tmac with Bulldog personality types..Battier, Scola, Sura etc....to inspire him......

Clearly this poll is showing how fall he has fallen in other fan's eyes though...

DD

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 01:28 PM

I just don't see it. I think T-Mac is great and definitely a top 10 player in the league, but I don't see him anywhere near Kobe's level, skill-wise or any other way. Especially mentally.

And as far as just pure physical ability & talent, I'd definitely take Vince Carter over T-Mac. Obviously other intangibles make T-Mac a much better player now though.

Budkin
04-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Dirk anyday. He's the perfect combination of player. Can score from anywhere, is a nightmare to guard, and can bounce back from injures like they are nothing. He just needs to not be so scared to take over. Oh, and learn how to defend.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Dirk anyday. He's the perfect combination of player. Can score from anywhere, is a nightmare to guard, and can bounce back from injures like they are nothing. He just needs to not be so scared to take over. Oh, and learn how to defend.

But Tmac can do all those things on offense and defend as well....

DD

JamStone
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I'd take Dirk for a number of reasons, but maybe as much as anything because of T-Mac's weak, injury riddled back. Plus, despite both struggling in different ways in the playoffs, I think T-Mac can be defeated mentally more easily.

stretch
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I agree with this 100%, the problem with Tmac is that he doesn't come to play every night.......he rests on defense and plays uninspired ball too often.

You also have to surround Tmac with Bulldog personality types..Battier, Scola, Sura etc....to inspire him......

Clearly this poll is showing how fall he has fallen in other fan's eyes though...

DD
Wow, we we actually agree.

I've always felt that T-Mac was a fucking monster. Just lazy and injury prone. And people bag on him too much for not getting past the first round... those were really not his fault. He played his butt off (he almost singlehandedly beat the Mavs in 2005, only to have his team choke the series away), and his team let him down when he needed them most, much like I always say that Dirk's team what who really let him down in the GS series last year, game 6 of the finals, and the series against Sacramento in 2004, as opposed to Dirk choking/not showing up, or whatever you wish to call it. And injuries have held T-Mac back quite a bit, however, sometimes I do wonder about his injuries, and whether he has just had really back fortune to get all these injuries, or if he could really be playing through them and his lazy attitude is taking over him and keeping him out of games, I dunno. I'm not going to accuse him of anything, because I know that he has heart too. I just know that Dirk does all he can to not miss a game due to injury/sickness, and plays hurt quite often.

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 01:41 PM
:lmao atxcocker voted T-Mac

mavsfan1000
04-11-2008, 01:51 PM
T-Mac used to be better. Especially in his days in Orlando and his first year in Houston. Now I would say Dirk.

Gino
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Is this thread a joke? Is it even a given that if you choose T-Mac he will even be healthy enough to play?

The Nba Is Rigged
04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Once again DaDakota starts another thread to annoy mavs fans and as usual it results in this: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2097/failure2hh5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Once again DaDakota starts another thread to annoy mavs fans and as usual it results in this failure

What?

I am not trying to annoy anyone just get a bball discussion going and too see how other fans think about different things.

If you are annoyed, you need to get thicker skin.

DD

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
What?

I am not trying to annoy anyone just get a bball discussion going and too see how other fans think about different things.

If you are annoyed, you need to get thicker skin.

DD
Then why did you choose Dirk?

T-Mac is an athletic swingman. Dirk is a PF who likes to go out on the perimeter. Not very comparable.

There was any number of more comparable players to compare with T-Mac. You picked Dirk for a reason.

Findog
04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
We don't have to tear down TMac to build up Dirk or vice versa. Some of those series that his teams lost you really can't put on Tracy, but I'd rather have Dirk. They're both terrific and good guys.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Then why did you choose Dirk?

T-Mac is an athletic swingman. Dirk is a PF who likes to go out on the perimeter. Not very comparable.

There was any number of more comparable players to compare with T-Mac. You picked Dirk for a reason.

In one of our other threads we were discussing whether or not Tmac or Dirk was a superstar.....

This thread here (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91595&page=3)

It sort of got me to thinking, I wonder what other fans would want, and what they think of Tmac and Dirk etc...

Nothing more....IMHO, they are both flawed Star players.

DD

Jack Sommersset
04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
What a dumb question.

Stay horny my friends!

mavs>spurs2
04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
:lmao atxcocker voted T-Mac
:lol

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
In one of our other threads we were discussing whether or not Tmac or Dirk was a superstar.....

This thread here (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91595&page=3)

It sort of got me to thinking, I wonder what other fans would want, and what they think of Tmac and Dirk etc...

Nothing more....IMHO, they are both flawed Star players.

DD
So could you go a week on this forum without mentioning the Mavericks once?

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 02:31 PM
haha it could be a Mark Madsen vs. Dirk poll and he'd still vote against Dirk. The guy is a douchenozzle of epic proportions.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 02:34 PM

There are a lot of Mavs fans here, and they are a Texas team I am interested in, I also like to discuss the Spurs.

No big deal.

A lot of you guys just get a gang mentality and try to shout down anyone with an opinion about "your favorite team"....I think it is more interesting to hear what others think about "my team"....to get an outside perspective.

I like the Mavs, and am impressed they have righted the ship, still don't like the trade for Kidd, but can admire Cuban's ability to take on risk to try to win the big prize.

Cuban is my favorite owner, even though he whines a lot and hogs the spotlight, you can see that all he really wants to do is win, and will pay through the nose to make it happen.

How can any fan not respect that?

If you think I am here to troll or annoy, you are missing the point....I just like to talk Bball.

DD

mavs>spurs2
04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
haha it could be a Mark Madsen vs. Dirk poll and he'd still vote against Dirk. The guy is a douchenozzle of epic proportions.

I wonder how he'd vote in a Kevin Martin vs Kobe poll? And I wonder if my response would have to be something along the lines of

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I like the Mavs
If searching wasn't disabled I could find about 10 posts from you that completely contradict this. Sorry but I'm not buying the Eddie Haskell routine. Maybe you do want to talk basketball but you definitely have an agenda to get under the skin of Mavs fans as well.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 02:42 PM

Hmmmm...could you go a week without cursing or smack talking?

;)

As for the rest, you read my posts however you want to read them, it doesn't mean they are meant that way...

I will discuss anything BBall related, and am not afraid to put up an opinion whether it is popular or not.

DD

Hemotivo
04-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Werner Nowitzki

most valuable player > most improved player

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Hmmmm...could you go a week without cursing or smack talking?
I'm here for the cursing & smack talk among actual basketball discussion. I fully admit it.

You're here to annoy Mavs fans whether you'll admit it or not.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
You're here to annoy Mavs fans whether you'll admit it or not.

You see that is your perception of why I am here, it is completely how you read the posts, not their intention at all.

You are just looking for a reason to snipe and smack talk, at least that is MY perception of you.

And I freely admit that could be wrong.

I don't hate the Mavs....but that doesn't mean that I believe they are contenders either.

DD

sribb43
04-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Owned

mavsfan1000
04-11-2008, 05:26 PM
You see that is your perception of why I am here, it is completely how you read the posts, not their intention at all.

You are just looking for a reason to snipe and smack talk, at least that is MY perception of you.

And I freely admit that could be wrong.

I don't hate the Mavs....but that doesn't mean that I believe they are contenders either.

DD
I feel bad for your team. They looked they could be championship contenders if Yao was healthy this year. Adleman has done a fine job.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I feel bad for your team. They looked they could be championship contenders if Yao was healthy this year. Adleman has done a fine job.

True, they are not really contenders at all with Yao out, they are more the spoiler team now.

I am just hoping that the team learns how to win by playing Adelman's team ball system so that when Yao gets healthy and we pick up a quality PG to supplant Rafer, we are poised to go from pretenders to contenders.

DD

timvp
04-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Dirk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TMac

dirk4mvp
04-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Dirk. It's not really close.

Unless it's in the eyes of a blurry eyed Rocket fan. And I'm not picking Dirk out of pure bias. T-Mac is my second favorite player. He's fuckin badass. He's just not better than Dirk.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Dirk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TMac
Fixed.

Indazone
04-11-2008, 08:03 PM
True, they are not really contenders at all with Yao out, they are more the spoiler team now.

I am just hoping that the team learns how to win by playing Adelman's team ball system so that when Yao gets healthy and we pick up a quality PG to supplant Rafer, we are poised to go from pretenders to contenders.

DD

We aren't supposed to win. We will be the underdog in any playoff game we play. If we do win, well the Clutchcity legend lives on forever!

1Parker1
04-11-2008, 08:40 PM
:lmao Dirk and it's not even a close call....

Odd Question. Why Tmac vs Dirk? If anything maybe Yao or Dirk would be a better question.

mavs>spurs2
04-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Might as well ask, what would you rather have aids or the common cold?

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-11-2008, 08:45 PM

mavs>spurs2
04-11-2008, 08:46 PM
We should have a round robin tournament to see whos the biggest tard on the board. Someone else would have to make the brackets but so far I nominate:

DaDakota
SpursDynasty
atxcocker
spurs something(report?center??) dont remember which
whottt(when posting while high)
yourcheatinheart
dasunsfag

feel free to add to the list we should make a tourney out of this and make sig bets

mavs>spurs2
04-11-2008, 08:49 PM
add thetruth to the list

endrity
04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
come on now, SD wins any sort of tournament like this in a landslide. It's like a pro player (of trolling) playing against college kids. You gotta find a way to not include him here, while still letting the world know that he is the biggest douche out there. No easy task, that's for sure.

mavs>spurs2
04-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok, we could remove Jeff to make things interesting, but we should make it a 64 man tournament like the NCAA bracket.

Allanon
04-11-2008, 09:05 PM
TMaC is a better clutch shooter. Game on the line and I need 1 point to win, I call in TMaC.

Dirk is better in every other circumstance.

endrity
04-11-2008, 09:09 PM
^ I don't know where you base that on? You are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't seem factually correct.

p.s cool sig

monosylab1k
04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
SpursDynasty has gone from complete idiot to trolling genius. Biggest tard can't be him.

DaDakota is trying to troll Mavs fans, but he generally seems to know his stuff outside of that.

So the biggest tard award has to go to......

mavsfan1000.

and it's not even close. it's like comparing Dirk to T-Mac.

Indazone
04-11-2008, 10:00 PM
SpursDynasty has gone from complete idiot to trolling genius. Biggest tard can't be him.

DaDakota is trying to troll Mavs fans, but he generally seems to know his stuff outside of that.

mavsfan1000.

lmao tips hat to DaDa.
:smokin

spurms
04-11-2008, 10:24 PM
if he hadn't dealt with all the injuries, I MAY say t-mac. i think T-Mac is honestly an even more gifted and skilled player than Kobe, but the constant barrage of injuries have held him back quite a bit. but the fact is, he is not playing at a level that Dirk is playing at.

Tmac is pussy, he's also more creative than kobe, kinda like in the mould of jordan, but he's a pussy, he gives up and start chucking shots, then acts like he had a bad shoulder, his jumpers sucks unless he caught fire, but i am glad someone can see that tmac's clearly a far smarter player than kobe. Kome's game is overated.

DaDakota
04-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Tmac is pussy, he's also more creative than kobe, kinda like in the mould of jordan, but he's a pussy, he gives up and start chucking shots, then acts like he had a bad shoulder, his jumpers sucks unless he caught fire, but i am glad someone can see that tmac's clearly a far smarter player than kobe. Kome's game is overated.

While I would not use that language, I tend to agree, Tmac settles far too often for jumpers when he should be relentlessly attacking the rim.

DD

DaDakota
04-12-2008, 12:17 AM

DaDakota generally seems to know his stuff.

I would offer you an olive branch after that comment but you would just bludgeon me over the noggin with it.

DD

mavsfan1000
04-12-2008, 12:23 AM

mavsfan1000.

Screw you man. I'm sick of you bringing me up for no reason. You are the idiot here.

DAF86
04-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I wouldn't like to have any of these guys as a franchise player for my team, but as i have to pick one, i'm going with Dirk. He's soft but T-Mac is softer. Besides Dirk shoots when he has to not when he wants to.

Roxsfan
04-12-2008, 01:42 AM
tmac

Obstructed_View
04-12-2008, 04:11 AM
TMac is, aside from Barkley, the most gifted player I've ever witnessed. He's got a combination of size, speed, athletic ability, shooting and ball handling that almost nobody in NBA history has. That said, you don't know which TMac is going to show up from one game to another, and he doesn't have much will to win. Dirk.

MrChug
04-12-2008, 05:44 AM
That's like asking "what would you rather eat: raw dog balls or rat's asshole?". There's something about the thought of both of those scenarios that make me sick.

If I had to choose however (to go on my favorite team and I'm considering the teams I like including the Spurs), I can't think of one team that T-Mac could go to and NOT fuck up it's chemistry and/or offensive scheme. Dirk could at least adapt.

Because he could probably adapt to most offensive systems and make them better, you'd simply add superb shooting and a matchup problem for most defenders and not a bad rebounder. I think T-Mac's an overrated defender-and trust me, I watch him alot.

I wouldn't build a team around either, but if I had to-it'd be Dirk.

MrChug
04-12-2008, 05:47 AM
TMac is, aside from Barkley, the most gifted player I've ever witnessed. He's got a combination of size, speed, athletic ability, shooting and ball handling that almost nobody in NBA history has. That said, you don't know which TMac is going to show up from one game to another, and he doesn't have much will to win. Dirk.

You haven't "witnessed" a guy named LeBron James/Michael Jordan/Kevin Garnett/Shaquille O'Neal (I could go on forever listing the physical freaks this league has seen who should not be able to do what they do physically/athletically). Barkley? Okay...

KidCongo
04-12-2008, 05:49 AM
dirk

dirk4mvp
04-12-2008, 10:03 AM
TMaC is a better clutch shooter. Game on the line and I need 1 point to win, I call in TMaC.

On what basis? Dirk has clutch shots oozing out of his ass....T-Mac has a few. Where do you get that from?

ambchang
04-12-2008, 10:24 AM
No question Dirk. He is a matchup nightmare at the PF, you can see him love the game, and his choking is much exaggerated.

Imagine a Duncan Dirk frontcourt, it is going to rule the NBA even with the 3 stooges starting along with them.

ambchang
04-12-2008, 10:27 AM
You haven't "witnessed" a guy named LeBron James/Michael Jordan/Kevin Garnett/Shaquille O'Neal (I could go on forever listing the physical freaks this league has seen who should not be able to do what they do physically/athletically). Barkley? Okay...

Out of all the physical specimens the league has, Barkley is probably the most unusual. A guy 6'4" who can dominate the PF position for more than a decade? He can handle the ball like a guard, he can run the floor, he can rebound, and is basically a terror out there.

O'Neal is big and agile, but there was a guy called Wilt who was as big and more agile, James is a modern day Robertson, Jordan has Kobe and Carter as his followers, Garnett has the Chandlers and the Aldridges as followers. We are not talking about skills and accomplishments, but as a physical specimen, Barkley is as unique as any, we have never seen anyone similar ... unless you want to count Clarence Weatherspoon ....

GuerillaBlack
04-12-2008, 10:32 AM
A completely healthy T-Mac> a completely healthy Dirk.

jacobdrj
04-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Bigmen are always more valuable. T-Mac has shown he is an injury concern at this point in his career.

I can't go with their playoff history as T-Mac never had the talent around him that Dirk did. Even T-Macs most talented team, was no match to the teams he was facing in the playoffs. (last season).

dirk4mvp
04-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I can't go with their playoff history as T-Mac never had the talent around him that Dirk did. Even T-Macs most talented team, was no match to the teams he was facing in the playoffs. (last season).

That's no excuse for blowing 3 series with a 2 game lead.

Indazone
04-12-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd rather have Kobe or Lebron

MrChug
04-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Out of all the physical specimens the league has, Barkley is probably the most unusual. A guy 6'4" who can dominate the PF position for more than a decade? He can handle the ball like a guard, he can run the floor, he can rebound, and is basically a terror out there.

O'Neal is big and agile, but there was a guy called Wilt who was as big and more agile, James is a modern day Robertson, Jordan has Kobe and Carter as his followers, Garnett has the Chandlers and the Aldridges as followers. We are not talking about skills and accomplishments, but as a physical specimen, Barkley is as unique as any, we have never seen anyone similar ... unless you want to count Clarence Weatherspoon ....

WHAT ABOUT CORLISS WILLIAMSON!! :spin

:lol Not a bad take!! I always have really admired Barkley, as a playing and post-playing career. He's one of my favorites. But as a "physically freakish physical specimen", I don't think Barkley qualifies. He was NOT physically gifted. Was of average size, was NOT a superb leaper, was NOT that quick and hardly fast. What he WAS was brilliant. It takes alot of passion and strategy to outwork a big in a big man's game. Period. Alot of practice and a "never say die" attitude. And you had to be sort of a dick. He reminds me of me...that's why I loved (still a fan) Chuck Barkley.

mavs>spurs2
04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
That's like asking "what would you rather eat: raw dog balls or rat's asshole?". There's something about the thought of both of those scenarios that make me sick.

Comparing top 10 NBA players to dog balls and rat's asshole..ooook dude :rolleyes

manufor3
04-12-2008, 02:32 PM
dirk no contest.