PDA

View Full Version : Carlesimo to get championship ring

Spurs Brazil
04-11-2008, 06:41 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041108.SpursNotebook.en.50ab58a2.

Carlesimo to get championship ring

Web Posted: 04/10/2008 10:56 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

No contributor to the Spurs 2007 championship run has had to wait longer to receive his championship ring than P.J. Carlesimo. The Sonics coach will get his tonight in a brief ceremony before the game at the AT&T Center.

“I can finally get rid of that ring that's been sitting in our office,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I should have just mailed it to him. Now I've got to go out there and shake his hand and say, ‘P.J., we miss you,' that whole routine. And he'll probably cry, or something like that.

“Seriously, it's great to have him back in town, somebody who was really well-liked and did a great job. So it's always good to see him back here.”

Carlesimo served as Popovich's lead assistant coach for four seasons before taking the head coaching position with the Sonics after the Spurs' run to the title.

The players agreed they will be happy to see Carlesimo get his ring, but they don't want him to depart the arena entirely satisfied.

“Hopefully,” Tony Parker said, “it's going to be a good game and, hopefully, we get the win.”

“Sorry, P.J., but we need some wins.”

Divine timing? The Spurs had special guests at practice Thursday morning: members of the local order of the Salesian Sisters of St. John Bosco.

The Catholic nuns have been fans of the Spurs for many years and watch every game at their convent.

Popovich gave the sisters a brief tour of the team's facilities and introduced them to some of the players, including Michael Finley and Manu Ginobili.

After receiving treatment for a strained adductor muscle, an injury that will keep him out of tonight's game against Seattle, Ginobili posed for photographs with the sisters, who promised to pray for his recovery.

T Park
04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I can finally get rid of that ring that's been sitting in our office,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I should have just mailed it to him. Now I've got to go out there and shake his hand and say, ‘P.J., we miss you,' that whole routine. And he'll probably cry, or something like that.

:lmao

Shaolin-Style
04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
After receiving treatment for a strained adductor muscle, an injury that will keep him out of tonight's game against Seattle, Ginobili posed for photographs with the sisters, who promised to pray for his recovery.

I love having a bunch of super pious nun fans on our side. They should get some rings too if Manu gets finals mvp this year.

Spurs Brazil
04-11-2008, 09:05 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/9b/fullj.6249cda68c5694e33aa69ec4c0dda916/6249cda68c5694e33aa69ec4c0dda916-getty-76075866ce001_sonic_spur.jpg

SAN ANTONIO - APRIL 11: Head coach P.J. Carlesimo and Brian Keefe of the Seattle SuperSonics receive their San Antonio Spurs National Championship ring on April 11, 2008 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas.