PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Popovich wants Manu to heal fully

Bruno
04-12-2008, 05:28 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041208.04C.BKNspurs.notebook.3e607e6.html

Web Posted: 04/12/2008 12:23 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News

Acutely aware the playoffs begin in a week, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he will not play Manu Ginobili until the strained muscle in Ginobili's left groin is fully healed.

Ginobili strained the muscle early in Wednesday's game against the Phoenix Suns. Though he played into the fourth quarter, he did not suit up against Seattle on Friday at the AT&T Center.

After the Spurs' 95-74 victory, Popovich declared Ginobili doubtful for Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center. He said Ginobili, the Spurs' scoring leader, will be "game-to-game" the rest of the regular season.

"You want it to be fully healed," Popovich said, "because it's like a sprained thumb. Every time you touch it, it comes back and doesn't heal. The groin seems to be the same sort of situation. You've got to get it healed before you come back, so I'm anxious to see how he feels (today)."

Barry better: For the first time since he re-signed with the Spurs on March 23, shooting guard Brent Barry appears close to a return to action.

Barry, who suffered a torn muscle in his left calf on Jan. 21, went through a vigorous workout Thursday. He reported only minor pain and some continued swelling Friday, and Popovich said he is optimistic he will get Barry back for limited action before the regular season ends Wednesday.

"He's got significantly less pain now than he had three or four days ago," Popovich said, "and significantly more mobility, as far as getting on his toes, pushing off and exploding. That's a good sign. He's worked through getting some of the blood and scar tissue out of that area."

The Spurs have been without Barry and veteran power forward Robert Horry since March21. Horry suffered a deep bruise on his left kneecap in a game against Sacramento.

The Spurs finish at the Lakers and Sacramento Kings on Sunday and Monday before Wednesday's home finale with Utah.

"Best-case scenario," Popovich said, "is I'm hoping we can throw Brent or Robert, or both of them, out there against Sacramento and Utah, or maybe just the Utah game, just to give them a couple of minutes to get some sort of rhythm."

Johnson signed: The Spurs signed veteran guard Dermarr Johnson for the remainder of the season.

Johnson was with the club on a 10-day contract in January, appearing in three games. He spent the bulk of the season with the Austin Toros, the Spurs' affiliate in the D-League. He averaged 17.2 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Toros, who use the Spurs' offensive sets and terminology.

"That's huge for me," Johnson said. "I know most of the terminology they use, so I shouldn't be too confused."

Since he signed a contract for the duration of the season, rather than a 10-day contract, Johnson can be on the team's playoff roster.

Time change: Tip-off for Wednesday's game has been changed to 8:30 p.m., to accommodate ESPN.

Admidave50
04-12-2008, 05:45 AM
It's great news if Barry can come back just before the playoffs, I thought he wouldn't be able to play this year

timvp
04-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Ginobili and Horry looked particularly jovial on the sidelines. If Ginobili were really hurting, I don't think he would have been joking around as much as he was. Hopefully Ginobili's situation is more precautionary.

Horry and Barry will have to be on the outside of the rotation looking in to begin the playoffs, but that's a nice pair of aces for Pop to have in his back pocket if something goes wrong in the postseason.

xtremesteven33
04-12-2008, 06:32 AM
The west should watch out...We still have 3 clutch players to bring in....Horry,Barry,Ginobili....

polandprzem
04-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Just confuse the opponents.
That's one of the tactics not to let the other teams know what you got.

About Barry - minor pain and swelling -> I'm not optymistic

Everyone wants Gino to be fully healed. But Spurs got no rythym at all approaching playoffs.

1Parker1
04-12-2008, 09:47 AM
I'd rather have Ginobili healthy and rested than a top 3 seed. I think resting Ginobili, even if the injury gets better, a little before the playoffs may be a good thing...

Killakobe81
04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Rest Manu yal need him ...same with Lakers & Bynum

T Park
04-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Horry and Barry will have to be on the outside of the rotation looking in to begin the playoffs

If Horry gets some time against Utah and looks decent, I think you have to throw him out there for the playoffs.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-12-2008, 10:29 AM
only 100% Manu is our only hope

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Johnson signed: Since he signed a contract for the duration of the season, rather than a 10-day contract, Johnson can be on the team's playoff roster.
:tu

whottt
04-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Horry and Barry will have to be on the outside of the rotation looking in to begin the playoffs, but that's a nice pair of aces for Pop to have in his back pocket if something goes wrong in the postseason.

This team has absolutely no chance in hell of winning a championship with the set rotation we've been using the last month or so...get serious.

Do you really believe that?

I'm pretty confident in this team winning it, but not without getting healthier, and not with this current rotation.

td4mvp21
04-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I really want Manu to play Sunday but I'd rather him be 100% for the playoffs. A lot of our success is going to depend on him...

DarrinS
04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Sean kept saying he wouldn't be surprised if Manu sits the remainder of the reg. season.

Any truth to that?

EDIT> Who the fuck edited my post?

DarrinS
04-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Who's the wise guy? If you put Sean E's last name in a post, it gets replaced with

Dirk_is_your_daddy_Dirk_is_your_daddyDirk_is_your_ daddyDirk_is_your_daddy

Try it.

T Park
04-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Elliott

roycrikside
04-12-2008, 11:09 AM
The Spurs might have to go all out in Game 82 to assure they would have home court against the Jazz. Letting Utah win on our floor in that game would give them the HCA against us in the playoffs and with their home record, that might be suicide.

Right now I think our magic number to get home court in the first round is two, right? The Sac game takes care of one, but either we need one more win (at LA isn't likely) or Utah needs to drop one of their next two home games.

whottt
04-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't get the connection between seanelliot and Dirk...otherwise it's pretty funny.

DarrinS
04-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy _Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_dadd y_

Indazone
04-12-2008, 11:31 AM
good move. Hold Ginobili out. Spurs already made the playoffs so it doesn't matter who they play. The West is stacked from top to bottom.

boutons_
04-12-2008, 11:32 AM
"He reported only minor pain and some continued swelling Friday"

Therefore, after 3 months rehab, Brent is still injured, in pain.

But Pop is expecting Brent to play in the next week?

That makes no sense. Brent is done.

whottt
04-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy _Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_dadd y_

Ok we get it...Dirk is your daddy. Anything else you'd like to contribute to the thread?

DarrinS
04-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok we get it...Dirk is your daddy. Anything else you'd like to contribute to the thread?

I'm serious. If I write Sean Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy _Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_dadd y_, it replaces it with that.

Some mod is having a laugh at my expense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-12-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm serious. If I write Sean Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy _Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_dadd y_, it replaces it with that.

Some mod is having a laugh at my expense.
Do you not know how to spell Elliott?

BonnerDynasty
04-12-2008, 11:55 AM
So no Manu for LAL on Sunday?

Guess that means Suns in first round. Or Utah.

polandprzem
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
:lmao

ChuckD
04-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Who's the wise guy? If you put Sean E's last name in a post, it gets replaced with

Dirk_is_your_daddy_Dirk_is_your_daddyDirk_is_your_ daddyDirk_is_your_daddy

Try it.
Try spelling it with two t's. I think it's a substitution macro in the forum, the way that the other nameless website uses ********* to replace certain words.

DazedAndConfused
04-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Is the more favorable matchup UTA w/o HCA or the Mavs/Suns w/ HCA?

T Park
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Sean Elliott

seems to be ok for me :)

Lebowski Brickowski
04-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Awesome news! To get Barry and possible Rob in for a few minutes in the last two games is best case scenario at this point.

boutons_
04-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Can't anybody read?

It doesn't matter what Pop says.
(only why does he say it?)

After a good workout Thursday, Brent had pain and swelling Friday.

That sounds very unhealed, still injured.

ATXSPUR
04-12-2008, 02:09 PM

hey it really does work with one T!

T Park
04-12-2008, 02:25 PM
lol I did it, and it does happen. I think its something the owners input so as to make sure everyone spells Sean's name right :)_

greens
04-12-2008, 02:35 PM
So does that mean Manu might not play vs Lakers on Sunday?

I don't know if the Spurs can beat the Lakers without Manu...The Lakers just beat the Hornets...they are on a roll...

I was hoping Manu would be able to play vs Lakers and Utah at the very least since right now, there is a fight for spot 2 and 3 between Spurs/Lakers/Houston...one of them will be number 5...

Agloco
04-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Funny......
Elliott

DarrinS
04-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Spelled with one t --> Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy _Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_daddy_Dirk_is_my_dadd y_

Spelled with two t's --> Elliott

:lol

Mods have a sense or humor.

Officer Slater
04-12-2008, 04:18 PM