PDA

View Full Version : Don't worry about Spurs getting blown out

DarrinS
04-12-2008, 10:49 AM
The last 3 title runs, the Spurs have had some really poor games, but always made adjustments and went on to win. The Spurs have also lost the 1st game of the 1st round in all of those runs

2002-2003
Game 1 vs. Suns -- Stephon Marbury makes a buzzer beater for the WIN in OT

In the 2nd round, the Spurs lost to LA by 15 in game 3, but paid them back with a 28 point win in game 6 (remember the crying?)

2004-2005
Game 1 vs. Denver, Spurs lose 93-87
Spurs went on to have an extremely physical, 6 game series with Seattle.
Spurs then went on to Phoenix and ran them out of the gym.
In the Finals vs. Detroit, the Pistons blew out the Spurs in two of those games. In game 4, the Pistons won 102-71.

2006-2007
Game 1 vs. Denver, Spurs lose 95-89. Spurs went on to win the next 4.
Then came the infamous series with the Suns. The Spurs eeked out a win in game 1. Even with a bloody nose, Nash almost brought them back. The Suns then blew out the Spurs in game 2 (101-81).
Then came a very physical series against the Jazz. Jazz blew out the Spurs in 109-83 in game 3.

So, fellow Spurs fans, if history is any lesson, it will show you that, on occasion, the Spurs do go cold and will lose big. But it also shows that the team has been through tough times before and have found ways to win big when it matters most.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Spurs were healthy those title runs

not the case this year, and like in 2006

DarrinS
04-12-2008, 10:56 AM

Even in 2006, with Timmy recovering from plantar fasciitis, Tim still outplayed Dirky, averaging 32.2 pts to Dirk's 27.1.

Spurs were only one dumb foul away from going to the finals in 2006.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Even in 2006, with Timmy recovering from plantar fasciitis, Tim still outplayed Dirky, averaging 32.2 pts to Dirk's 27.1.

Spurs were only one dumb foul away from going to the finals in 2006.

and Parker was also hurt along with Manu

The Mavs were the better team that year

xtremesteven33
04-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I stand with my opinion that the ONLY team that can knock out the Spurs in the playoffs this year would be the Suns....other than them....the Spurs are still going to the Finals this year...

WildcardManu
04-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I stand with my opinion that the ONLY team that can knock out the Spurs in the playoffs this year would be the Suns....other than them....the Spurs are still going to the Finals this year...

Even the Suns have looked average and not as dominant as years past.

Agloco
04-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Even the Suns have looked average and not as dominant as years past.

On the whole yes....

Against us, no. They have our number now. The psycological edge is gone and with Manu out, it's become an even steeper slope to climb. At this point I'd have to say that avoiding Phoenix is the best way to go.

As far as the original post goes, I think that this season we've got more issues on the offensive end than in any of those previous runs. We just have a hard time manufacturing points. Scoring funks like 66 vs Utah, 75 vs Portland and 70 something against Phoenix are more than just abberations like in seasons past. They've become the norm, and it's very unsettling. Each of those games were winnable from a defensive aspect (none of those teams scored more than 94 I believe). Now that Manu is out, I don't have much hope of that improving.

T Park
04-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Its not like Manu is done for the season...

1Parker1
04-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Ehh, you could also argue that in those years there weren't so many tough teams the Spurs had to go through to get to the title.

I'd gladly take the 06 Sonics over the 08 Mavs. I'd gladly take the the 03 Suns over the 08 Suns...etc.

curtismedellin
04-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Don't worry about Spurs getting blown out ....

Thats exactly the problem no seems to be worried and there's a lot of issues with this team that haven't been resolved with three games left in the season.

WildcardManu
04-12-2008, 03:19 PM
On the whole yes....

Against us, no. They have our number now. The psycological edge is gone and with Manu out, it's become an even steeper slope to climb. At this point I'd have to say that avoiding Phoenix is the best way to go.

As far as the original post goes, I think that this season we've got more issues on the offensive end than in any of those previous runs. We just have a hard time manufacturing points. Scoring funks like 66 vs Utah, 75 vs Portland and 70 something against Phoenix are more than just abberations like in seasons past. They've become the norm, and it's very unsettling. Each of those games were winnable from a defensive aspect (none of those teams scored more than 94 I believe). Now that Manu is out, I don't have much hope of that improving.

They're just riding high on the Snaq Food trade, I bet after this season if Snaq doesn't complain about something he is just going to go into hybernation.

Agloco
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
They're just riding high on the Snaq Food trade, I bet after this season if Snaq doesn't complain about something he is just going to go into hybernation.

But they're riding higher than us right now. We don't want any part of them at this point.

Its not like Manu is done for the season...

There seems to be a great deal of conjecture about this. I'd think that if he can go at all, he would. Too much invested in this season to toss it away without giving it a go.

WildcardManu
04-12-2008, 03:43 PM
But they're riding higher than us right now. We don't want any part of them at this point.

There seems to be a great deal of conjecture about this. I'd think that if he can go at all, he would. Too much invested in this season to toss it away without giving it a go.

Yes, riding high "Now", the Spurs are built to last a bit longer than that.

BlackSwordsMan
04-12-2008, 04:05 PM
without manu spurs will probably lose first round

koriwhat
04-12-2008, 05:06 PM
The Mavs were the better team that year

if they were the better team they wouldnt have allowed us to come back and take them to game7 only to lose in OT and only getting to OT after a dumb foul. mavs def weren't the better team; we just had no more in the tank to run them down in OT but coming back from 20 down, taking the lead, and then losing it with a dumb foul def doesnt make me believe your quote.

boutons_
04-12-2008, 05:40 PM
The difference this season is that the Spurs have a poor record against teams over .500, and the Spurs' road record is barely above .500.

Manu's got one week to heal.

Princess Pimp
04-12-2008, 07:57 PM
The last 3 title runs, the Spurs have had some really poor games, but always made adjustments and went on to win. The Spurs have also lost the 1st game of the 1st round in all of those runs

2002-2003
Game 1 vs. Suns -- Stephon Marbury makes a buzzer beater for the WIN in OT

In the 2nd round, the Spurs lost to LA by 15 in game 3, but paid them back with a 28 point win in game 6 (remember the crying?)

2004-2005
In the Finals vs. Detroit, the Pistons blew out the Spurs in two of those games. In game 4, the Pistons won 102-71.

2006-2007
Game 1 vs. Denver, Spurs lose 95-89. Spurs went on to win the next 4.
Then came the infamous series with the Suns. The Spurs eeked out a win in game 1. Even with a bloody nose, Nash almost brought them back. The Suns then blew out the Spurs in game 2 (101-81).
Then came a very physical series against the Jazz. Jazz blew out the Spurs in 109-83 in game 3.

So, fellow Spurs fans, if history is any lesson, it will show you that, on occasion, the Spurs do go cold and will lose big. But it also shows that the team has been through tough times before and have found ways to win big when it matters most.

How pathetic these mofos, keep living in the past....

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-12-2008, 08:10 PM
How pathetic these mofos, keep living in the past....
The past has been well for us, and for you?

manufor3
04-12-2008, 09:42 PM

thanks for reminding me

Dave McNulla
04-12-2008, 09:57 PM
2004-2005
In the Finals vs. Detroit, the Pistons blew out the Spurs in two of those games. In game 4, the Pistons won 102-71. pisonts outscored the spurs in the series.

Dave McNulla
04-12-2008, 09:58 PM

not the case this year, and like in 2006duncan had two sprained ankles in 2005. he couldn't jump two inches off the ground.

Dave McNulla
04-12-2008, 10:00 PM
How pathetic these mofos, keep living in the past....there have been no playoffs since 2006-07. it's as close to the present as anybody can get without dreaming that their team wins a championship. how are your dreams?