PDA

View Full Version : Did You Know?

LakeShow
04-12-2008, 01:31 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0411/nba_g_celtics_580.jpg
Can the Celtics break the curse of the East No. 1 seeds and make it to the NBA Finals?

With the NBA postseason just a week away, here are 10 interesting facts and statistics regarding the playoffs:

Did You Know?

1. The most wins the No. 4 seed in the East can finish with is 46 (Cavaliers must win final three games to reach 46). The current win total for the No. 9 seed in the West is 47 (Warriors have three games left).

2. Since the playoffs expanded to 16 teams in 1984, the most wins by a team that did not make the postseason is 45 by the 2000-01 Houston Rockets. Either the Warriors (47 wins with 3 games left) or Nuggets (48 wins with 3 games left) will set a new mark this season.

3. The Celtics have locked up home-court advantage throughout the postseason. The last time they did that was in the 1985-86 season, when Boston won its last NBA title.

4. The Hornets currently have 55 wins. That is the most wins in franchise history. The Hornets had 54 wins in 1996-97. Also, the Hornets are currently the top seed in the Western Conference. Prior to this season, the best seed the Hornets ever had was the No. 4 seed (done four times).

5. The Pistons have advanced to at least the conference finals in five straight seasons. That hadn't been done since the Bulls did it from 1988-89 to 1992-93. The last team to do it in six straight seasons was the Lakers from 1981-82 to 1988-89.

6. The No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference has not made the NBA Finals since the 2001-02 New Jersey Nets.

7. The active player with the largest career increase from regular season scoring average to postseason scoring average (min. 20 playoff games) is Tracy McGrady. He averages 22.4 points per game in the regular season and 28.8 ppg in the postseason (+6.4 ppg). The irony is that McGrady has never advanced past the first round of the postseason. He has tried with the Raptors (0-1), Magic (0-3) and Rockets (0-2).

8. This is the Spurs' ninth straight 50-win season. The last team with nine straight 50-win seasons was the Lakers from 1979-80 to 1990-91 (12 straight).

9. Since the playoffs expanded to 16 teams in 1984, the only teams to meet in the first round of the postseason in three straight years have been the Pacers and Celtics (2003 to 2005). With the Cavaliers currently No. 4 and the Wizards No. 5 in the East, they could meet in the first round for the third straight season. The Lakers and Suns also have a chance to meet in the first round for the third straight season.

10. Since the playoffs expanded to 16 teams in 1984, the tightest finish for seeds 1 to 8 in any conference is eight games (2002-03 Eastern Conference). The Western Conference (from 1-8) is currently separated by 7 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=playoffpush-080412

Brutalis
04-12-2008, 01:41 PM
blah blah blah crap notes to read while waiting for the playoffs, sorry.

FromWayDowntown
04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
I still maintain that the Spurs are getting shafted a bit on the 50-win season thing -- this is their 11th straight season with 50+ wins or the statistical equivalent (their 37 wins in 1998-99 is the statistical equivalent of a 61 win season).

LakeShow
04-12-2008, 02:19 PM
blah blah blah crap notes to read while waiting for the playoffs, sorry. s2eFdO7H7cU

balli
04-12-2008, 02:24 PM
4. The Hornets currently have 55 wins. That is the most wins in franchise history. The Hornets had 54 wins in 1996-97. Also, the Hornets are currently the top seed in the Western Conference. Prior to this season, the best seed the Hornets ever had was the No. 4 seed (done four times).

Hell yeah. When's the last time you thought about Grandmama,

http://zubazpants.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/french-fries.jpg

DaDakota
04-12-2008, 03:33 PM
So much for Tmac not performing well in the playoffs, I guess he just needed a better overall team.

DD

Matchman
04-12-2008, 11:57 PM
So much for Tmac not performing well in the playoffs, I guess he just needed a better overall team.

DD

word up.
people said he got talented teams to compete before. please tell me which team is capable of competing and please list the roster here.

balli
04-13-2008, 12:10 AM
word up.
people said he got talented teams to compete before. please tell me which team is capable of competing and please list the roster here.

The 06-07 Rockets- Yao Ming, Shane Battier, Deke, Rafer Alston, T-mac. Even Chuck Hayes played decently. I'm not saying this team is an all time great or anything, but certainly it did and was capable of competing. I don't say this to refute you on T-mac. I think they just ran into a very good Utah team and really it could have gone either way. They would have beaten GS hands down, so in my mind the Rockets were one game from the WCF. It's pretty tough to see McGrady get nailed to a cross over one game and series that was extremely competive and could have gone their way with a few more lucky bounces.

Matchman
04-13-2008, 12:22 AM
The 06-07 Rockets- Yao Ming, Shane Battier, Deke, Rafer Alston, T-mac. Even Chuck Hayes played decently. I'm not saying this team is an all time great or anything, but certainly it did and was capable of competing. I don't say this to refute you on T-mac. I think they just ran into a very good Utah team and really it could have gone either way. They would have beaten GS hands down, so in my mind the Rockets were one game from the WCF. It's pretty tough to see McGrady get nailed to a cross over one game and series that was extremely competive and could have gone their way with a few more lucky bounces.

nigga please~
Chuck freakin Hayes cant even get off the bench in any other playoff team and he is starting for us. Rafer freakin Alston who cant shoot for life is the ONLY PG capable of running the offense.

and please tell me which bench player is good enough last year that really make you say "oh no, not him!" when he get off the bench?

balli
04-13-2008, 12:31 AM
nigga please~
Chuck freakin Hayes cant even get off the bench in any other playoff team and he is starting for us. Rafer freakin Alston who cant shoot for life is the ONLY PG capable of running the offense.

and please tell me which bench player is good enough last year that really make you say "oh no, not him!" when he get off the bench?

I'm not saying that was a great team. However, you did have two franchise superstars including Mcgrady. One really talented role guy in Battier. And a decent pg in Alston. Again, I'm not saying Alston is all that good, but he is passable considering the two superstars you had playing for you. The bench sucked, you got me there.

I mean it wasn't a great team, but answer these three questions.

Did you almost beat Utah?
Would you have beaten Golden State, had you beaten Utah?
Had you beaten Golden State and made it to the WCF, wouldn't you have to say that the Rockets were at least a team that "Competed" ?

At least, you have to say that they almost beat UT, so at least they almost competed, right?

DAF86
04-13-2008, 12:34 AM
At least, you have to say that they almost beat UT, so at least they competed, right?

Fixed.

GuerillaBlack
04-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Did you really say Chuck Hayes?

LakeShow
04-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I still maintain that the Spurs are getting shafted a bit on the 50-win season thing -- this is their 11th straight season with 50+ wins or the statistical equivalent (their 37 wins in 1998-99 is the statistical equivalent of a 61 win season).:lol cmon man, they can't do that. With injuries occuring all of the time who's to say that the Spurs doesn't get one? It is possible that the Spurs could have lost all of their remaining games. I know, not probable but the possibility exists.