PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Rockets Jan. 15th - Grades

timvp
01-17-2005, 03:15 AM
Tim Duncan
Duncan is going to have to start playing better. The Spurs have enough talent to overcome his struggles most nights but currently, Duncan is in one of the worst funks of his career. Against the Rockets, he had slow decision making and it appeared that he lacked the legs around the basket at both ends of the court.
GRADE: 77
JANUARY: 83.5
SEASON: 86.6

Bruce Bowen
Bowen had an average game overall. He held Tracy McGrady in check for the most part, limiting him to 10-for-28 shooting from the field. He did whatever he could to defend McGrady and succeeding in slowing him. The problem for Bowen was on the other end of the court. He couldn’t get anything going offensive, going 1-for-3 from the field in 41 minutes of action.
GRADE: 84
JANUARY: 86.6
SEASON: 85.2

Rasho Nesterovic
In 29 minutes of play, Nesterovic did a commendable job. He defended Yao Ming well, holding him to only 13 points and eight rebounds. The Spurs’ starting center was physical with Yao, fighting for position and muscling him out of the lane. On offense, Nesterovic wasn’t as successful. He hit only 1-of-3 shots from the field, while he looked uncomfortable and confused on the offensive end.
GRADE: 84
JANUARY: 84.4
SEASON: 82.9

Manu Ginobili
Ginobili went down early in the third quarter with a thigh contusion. He suffered the injury when he drove the lane and collided with Yao Ming. Prior to getting injured, Ginobili wasn’t having a stellar game. He had hit 1-of-5 shots from the field and only 4-of-7 from the free throw line. His defense, however, was very good in his 15 minutes of action.
GRADE: 82
JANUARY: 87
SEASON: 87.8

Tony Parker
Parker numbers look great but his impact on the game wasn’t as great as the numbers suggest. Parker finished with 21 points, six assists and three rebounds, while shooting 9-for-18 from the field, 0-for-3 from beyond the arc and 3-for-5 from the charity stripe. Honestly, the Spurs’ starting point guard didn’t run the offense very well. He was trying to score for himself too much without looking for his teammates at times. At other times, he wasn’t looking to score enough and was just looking to dish. The key for him is balance.
GRADE: 85
JANUARY: 85.3
SEASON: 86.1

Brent Barry
Barry played 22 minutes and made some key baskets. He finished 2-for-4 from the field, 1-for-3 from beyond the three-point line and 3-for-3 from the stripe. His three-pointer came at a time when the Spurs needed it the most. The team needs Barry to be more aggressive on the offensive end of the court. Four attempts aren’t enough for 22 minutes on the court. His defense is still adequate at best, so he has to make it up on the other end of the court.
GRADE: 86
JANUARY: 83.6
SEASON: 82.4

Beno Udrih
Udrih got 19 minutes of playing time even though his shot was off. For the game, Udrih was 2-for-7 from the field and 0-for-4 from beyond the arc. He also only had one rebound and one assist in his time on the court. Udrih has cooled off as of late, shooting only 43.5% over his last five games. He also hasn’t hit a three-pointer in that stretch of games.
GRADE: 81
JANUARY: 84.9
SEASON: 84.5

Robert Horry
If nothing more, you can say that Horry did a nice job rebounding the ball. In an area that has been weak for him at times this year, Horry pulled down five boards in 14 minutes of play. Over the last two games, he has 13 rebounds in 32 minutes of action. Offensively versus the Rockets, Horry didn’t have anything. He finished without a field goal and was only 2-for-4 at the line.
JANUARY: 85.9
SEASON: 85.4

Devin Brown
Brown got some more spot minutes as Barry has moved ahead of him in the rotation. He hit only 1-of-4 shots from the field and failed to have any meaningful impact on the game. With the Spurs struggling to score as they were, it was a perfect opportunity for Brown to come off the bench and spark the Spurs. Instead, he failed to do much in his 12 minutes of court time.
JANUARY: 80.9
SEASON: 83.9

SlovenianGuy
01-17-2005, 05:15 AM
LJ, i miss your grades for Mass and Rose. They both played more than 5 minutes.
No comments, just the grades.

Thank you

whottt
01-17-2005, 05:29 AM
The team needs Barry to be more aggressive on the offensive end of the court.It's not all Barry on this...I see him go open on a lot of posessions without touching the ball once. I think it's simply that he hasn't won the trust of his teamates yet. They just don't think "him" yet. I also see Duncan, Parker and Manu try to score even after the d has collapsed on them, without passing to the open guys...not just Barry get passed over, but some of the others as well...It's something that happens from time to time...it's been happening more lately and I think that is why our TO's are up.

Mark in Austin
01-17-2005, 08:34 AM
I haven't been able to watch many games this year, but is seems like Rose's minutes are dropping. Is he back in Pop's doghouse?

ducks
01-17-2005, 09:17 AM
masserberg is first of the bench the last few games

Supergirl
01-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think the grade is entirely fair to Parker - it's hard for a PG to run the offense and know when to score and when to pass when no one on your team can make a shot to save their lives. He was the only one who played a decent game.

ChumpDumper
01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Tony's decision-making left alot to be desired. Even if you forgive his not getting teammates involved enough, he tried to force a bunch of shots way to deep in the paint (Manu did the same and he got himself injured). He was at his scoring best when putting floaters up above the teeth of the Rocket D instead of trying to put up layups inside them. Didn't do it enough.

boutons
01-17-2005, 12:34 PM
"way to deep in the paint"

Well, ya gotta give the guys credit for trying drive, the best tactic, when the outside shots weren't falling (35% FG).

Spurs certainly have to figure how to score when their outside shooting is cold, or we'll back to "Lakers 4-0" situation all over again. That very problem cost us a ring last season. I'd love to see Tim and Rasho develop a hi-lo game like Tim and David.

ChumpDumper
01-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, ya gotta give the guys credit for trying drive, the best tactic, when the outside shots weren't fallingTheir penetration was fine; what they did after they got in he paint was pretty stupid considering whom they found waiting there and how the game was being called.

boutons
01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Losing Manu's points off driving and closing skills probably lost the game as much as anything else.

ChumpDumper
01-17-2005, 12:49 PM
That's just it, he wasn't getting any points off his drives and injured himself forcing his way in too deep again trying to get a call that was never going to come. Even when he was getting to the line he wasn't converting. It's tough to see his making a huge difference unless the calling loosened up a bit.

Nikos
01-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Do you have the Dallas grades saved timvp?

T Park
01-17-2005, 01:44 PM
The team needs Barry to be more aggressive on the offensive end of the court. Four attempts aren’t enough for 22 minutes on the court.

Brent Barry needs to shoot more.

Couldn't say it better myself.

If he starts today, he should take at the minimum 8 to 10 shots.

timvp
01-17-2005, 02:04 PM
LJ, i miss your grades for Mass and Rose. They both played more than 5 minutes.
No comments, just the grades.

Thank you

I gave them both an 81.

timvp
01-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Do you have the Dallas grades saved timvp?

Duncan 86
Bowen 86
Nesterovic 87
Ginobili 89
Parker 89
Barry 79
Rose 85
Udrih 88
Brown 89
Horry 87

SLOVENIAN 8
01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Duncan 86
Bowen 86
Nesterovic 87
Ginobili 89
Parker 89
Barry 79
Rose 85
Udrih 88
Brown 89
Horry 87

Udrih better than Rasho in that game?? Also Brown , that is Joke :lol

Kori Ellis
01-17-2005, 02:08 PM
You know they are not graded against each other, right?