04-12-2008, 04:41 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=280413013

Spurs-Lakers Preview
By ANTHONY GIORNALISTA
STATS LLC

3:30 PM ET, April 13, 2008
Staples Center, Los Angeles , CA
ABC

The Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs haven't needed a first-place finish in the Western Conference to win NBA titles in the past, but that certainly doesn't mean they won't be making a strong push for the No. 1 seed.

After securing the Pacific Division title, the Lakers host the Spurs on Sunday in a matchup of teams still in contention for West supremacy.

Los Angeles (55-25) and San Antonio (54-25) have won six of the last eight NBA titles, but each team finished first in the West just once en route to one of its championships during that span -- the Lakers in 2000 and the Spurs in 2004.

San Antonio, which won the title after finishing third in the West last season, is perennially in contention for the conference's No. 1 seed. Los Angeles, meanwhile, is back in the mix after clinching its first Pacific title in four years.

"It's a pleasant surprise," said Lakers star Kobe Bryant, whose team wasn't expected to be in this position before the season. "It's a testament to our hard work and our unity."

Bryant, a strong candidate to win his first MVP award, had 29 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists to lead the Lakers to a 107-104 win over West-leading New Orleans on Friday night. It secured the Pacific for the Lakers, and also kept them within reach of the Hornets with two games to play.

"It's good to be No. 1," Bryant said. "This was the first step. We want to take another one Sunday."

Los Angeles is ensured of finishing no lower than third in the West by virtue of its division title, meaning it will have home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. If the Lakers and Hornets finish with the same record, Los Angeles wins the West and home-court at least until the NBA finals because of a better record against conference opponents.

San Antonio does not have a better conference record than New Orleans, which it is also chasing for the Southwest Division title.

But the Spurs will have a tough time catching the Hornets if Manu Ginobili misses any more time. Ginobili, leading San Antonio with 19.6 points per game, missed Friday night's 95-74 win over Seattle due to a mild strain of his left abductor.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said that Ginobili is doubtful for Sunday's game, a contest that will likely determine if the team will remain in contention for the No. 1 seed.

"Like most every game in the West (it's) another big challenge," Popovich said. "You don't know what's going to happen in the West. You just have no idea."

San Antonio hurt its playoff position by losing two of three before Friday, averaging 71.7 points in that span. But the Spurs were able to bounce back against the conference-worst SuperSonics, as five players scored in double figures and they led by as many as 24 points.

Sunday's game will be the first of two straight San Antonio will play on the road, where it has won four of its last five. The Spurs will visit Sacramento on Monday night before ending the regular season at home against Utah two days later.

Los Angeles, meanwhile, will be playing the first of its last two regular-season games. The Lakers host the Kings on Tuesday night.

Los Angeles has won two straight and six of its last seven overall, but has dropped two of three against San Antonio this season.

Injury Report

SAN ANTONIO
· Manu Ginobili SG - Apr 12: Day-to-Day
· Brent Barry SG - Apr 11: Day-to-Day

LOS ANGELES
· Andrew Bynum C - Apr 12: OUT
· Luke Walton SF - Apr 11: Day-to-Day

greens
04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
So is Pop's Manu is doubtful meaning he won't play for sure?

Because the Spurs really need Manu for this game! The Lakers just beat the Hornets, they are on a roll! Plus Hornets/Lakers/Spurs/Houston are all fighting for spots 1, 2, 3, and one of them will be 5! The Spurs need this win! Plus it's a road game with high implications.

We need Manu for this game...

duncan228
04-12-2008, 06:00 PM
So is Pop's Manu is doubtful meaning he won't play for sure?

All I'm finding so far is that Manu is "day-to-day."

BIG z
04-12-2008, 06:05 PM
All I'm finding so far is that Manu is "day-to-day."

Manu is not coming back for these last three games of the season, he will be back in the playoffs, simple as that....

missmyzte
04-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm so jazzed for this game! Staples Center is going to be crazy, I can't wait...

Brutalis
04-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't care if we win at this point, doesn't matter who we get in the playoffs or who is home. Spurs are going to play Spurs basketball or they're not.

mavsfan1000
04-12-2008, 07:03 PM
I expect the lakers to win. Hard to know though if that is good or not. It is up in the air on who'll be in the 2 spot.

Allanon
04-12-2008, 07:08 PM
If the Spurs concede the win to the Lakers, that's going to drop the Spurs down to #5 and get replaced by the Rockets at the #3 spot.

They'd get HCA when they draw the Jazz so that's about as good as it gets in the first round. CIA Pop?

The only bad side of it is they'll probably also be giving the Lakers the #1 seed so they'll meet the Lakers in LA to start the second round.

DazedAndConfused
04-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Well with no Manu we have no excuse for losing this game, but the Lakers have a nasty habit of playing to their competition. We can only hope Bowen doesn't hit 10 fucking threes tomorrow.

timaios
04-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Without Manu, we can't win against the lakers.
We are playing @LA and @Sac on a back to back.
We should tank the lakers game and give all we have to win the Sacramento game.

San Antonio
13 @LAL
14 @SAC
16 UTA

Utah
14 HOU
16 @SA

Houston
13 @DEN
14 @UTA
16 LAC

Spurs own the tiebreaker against Rockets and both teams have the same record with 3 games left.
Denver is on a b2b vs Houston
Houston is on a b2b vs Utah

If Houston win @Denver and lose @Utah (+win vs Clippers)
If San Antonio lose @Lakers and win @Sacramento

Then here are the standings before SA vs Utah.

3 Houston 56 26
4 Utah 54 27
5 San Antonio 55 26

If Spurs win the Jazz game then

3 San Antonio 56 26
4 Utah 54 28
5 Houston 56 26

It means (3) San Antonio vs (6) Phoenix in 1st round.

If Spurs lose the Jazz game then

3 Houston 56 26
4 Utah 55 27
5 San Antonio 55 27 (HCA for Utah)

It means (4) Utah vs (5) San Antonio in 1st round with HCA for Utah.

If Spurs lose the Jazz game and Suns win their last 2 games (vs GS & POR) then

3 Houston 56 26
4 Utah 55 27
5 Phoenix 55 27
6 San Antonio 55 27

It means (3) Houston vs (6) San Antonio in 1st round.

racydaystragiceyes
04-12-2008, 11:13 PM
hey guys, i didn't want to start a thread with this question but i was just wondering if anyone could help out a little, i looked around some but couldn't find the 'where amazing happens' ad for san antonio that i saw the other night after the game. i was watching nba tv a little while after the game. have any of you guys seen it, it was the first time i had. just wondering if any of you guys knew if it was online somewhere.

Allanon
04-12-2008, 11:19 PM
From what it looks like, the Lakers will be #1 in the West tonight since Hornets are losing to the Kings.

Kings are a pretty darn good team, too bad they had so many injuries this year.

If the Kings close out and beat the Hornets, you can bet the Lakers will come out firing tomorrow to hang on to the #1 seed.

timaios
04-12-2008, 11:23 PM
From what it looks like, the Lakers will be #1 in the West tonight since Hornets are losing to the Kings.

Kings are a pretty darn good team, too bad they had so many injuries this year.

If the Kings close out and beat the Hornets, you can bet the Lakers will come out firing tomorrow to hang on to the #1 seed.

I see that.

duncan228
04-12-2008, 11:27 PM
hey guys, i didn't want to start a thread with this question but i was just wondering if anyone could help out a little, i looked around some but couldn't find the 'where amazing happens' ad for san antonio that i saw the other night after the game. i was watching nba tv a little while after the game. have any of you guys seen it, it was the first time i had. just wondering if any of you guys knew if it was online somewhere.

I haven't found it online, the best I can do is this.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/nbapromo.gif

racydaystragiceyes
04-12-2008, 11:31 PM
thanks i appreciate your help, the one i saw the other night was all spurs, w/there was a pic of the champ. trophy saying 'where what we play for happens' or something like that, and bruce 'where offense meets defense happens' and manu 'where which way will he go happens' and the att center with 'where 35 more years happens' is that the one you've seen? my mom and i are huge fans and she didn't get to see it, it was late at night when i saw it, and i was just hoping it was online somewhere so i could show her.

makedamnsure
04-12-2008, 11:31 PM
This whole playoff situation is so confusing and annoying.

Here's to hoping for a win.

1Parker1
04-12-2008, 11:35 PM
This whole playoff situation is so confusing and annoying.

Here's to hoping for a win.

:lol Seriously. Hornets lost tonight so that means that tommorow's game is going to be even more important for Lakers or Spurs if they want the 1 seed.

Meanwhile, Nuggets lose and Warriors win so the 8th spot is still open.

Allanon
04-12-2008, 11:38 PM
That's it, Hornets lost so they are all tied up with the Lakers and Spurs and Rockets with 25 losses.

Lakers have the #1 seed to lose but Spurs can take it away tomorrow if they win.

Warriors still have life...wow...this Playoff race is awesome.

timaios
04-12-2008, 11:41 PM
That's it, Hornets lost so they are all tied up with the Lakers and Spurs and Rockets with 25 losses.

Lakers have the #1 seed to lose but Spurs can take it away tomorrow if they win.

Wow 2 tough loss for the Hornets !!!

1Parker1
04-12-2008, 11:42 PM

Warriors still have life...wow...this Playoff race is awesome.

Wow, so conceivably the Rockets could still end up with the #1 seed? :wow

DazedAndConfused
04-12-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm so freaking confused. Fucking Lakers just win out and we won't have to play PHX in the 1st round. That's all I care about.

boutons_
04-12-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't think the Rockets will make it. They have this horrible B2B:

Sun @Den
Mon @UTA

Allanon
04-13-2008, 12:02 AM
The Rockets COULD end up with the #1 seed still but as Boutons says, they have 2 hard games coming up. Except Utah doesn't have much to play for either so they might sit out that game.

timaios
04-13-2008, 12:05 AM
The Rockets COULD end up with the #1 seed still but as Boutons says, they have 2 hard games coming up. Except Utah doesn't have much to play for either so they might sit out that game.

What ??????????

And HCA !!!

Allanon
04-13-2008, 12:09 AM
What ??????????

And HCA !!!

You're right, they can still get HCA if guys above them or Houston lose 2 games....I'm so confused :D

timaios
04-13-2008, 12:12 AM
You're right, they can still get HCA if guys above them or Houston lose 2 games....I'm so confused :D

Especially against the Spurs ! :madrun

duncan228
04-13-2008, 01:40 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080413.html

Probable Starters:

Parker
Guard
18.5 PPG
Finley
Guard
9.9 PPG
Bowen
Forward
6.1 PPG
Duncan
Forward
19.5 PPG
Oberto
Center
4.7 PPG

Injury/Inactive Report
Robert Horry (left knee contusion) and Brent Barry are out
Manu Ginobili (mild strain, left adductor) will not play

Spur in the Spotlight
Gregg Popovich
"Like most every game in the West (it's) another big challenge. You don't know what's going to happen in the West. You just have no idea."

Did You Know...
Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, Lakers head coach Phil Jackson and former Lakers head coach – now Miami Heat head coach – Pat Riley are the only active coaches with multiple NBA Championships … Jackson has won nine, Riley has won five and Popovich has won four … Spurs forward Robert Horry won three of his seven career championships while donning the Lakers purple and gold … Lakers forward Ronny Turiaf and Spurs guard Tony Parker played high school basketball together in Paris, France … the Spurs have met the Lakers in the playoffs 10 times, more than any other team in the league.

duncan228
04-13-2008, 01:45 AM
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/080413_gameday_spurs.html

PROBABLE STARTERS

D. Fisher
K. Bryant
V. Radmanovic
L. Odom
P. Gasol

INJURY REPORT

Trevor Ariza: Fractured Foot - Out
Kobe Bryant: Dislocated Right Pinkie - Will Play
Andrew Bynum: Left Patella Subluxation - Out
Derek Fisher: Partial Tear, Right Foot Tendon - DTD
Pau Gasol: Strained Left Ankle - Will Play
Luke Walton: Right Hamstring Strain - Probable

GAME NOTES

The Lakers trail in their season series with the Spurs 1-2 after winning last season’s series 2-1, their first series victory over San Antonio since 2003-04 (3-1). The Lakers are 4-6 against the Spurs in their last 10 games but are 4-4 against San Antonio in their last eight overall meetings. At STAPLES Center, the Lakers are 7-10 all-time against the Spurs. In San Antonio, the Lakers have gone 4-6 in their last 10 against the Spurs but have split their last four games at AT&T Center (2-2). Under head coach Phil Jackson, the Lakers are 13-17 against San Antonio in the regular season. In the postseason, Jackson is 14-7 against the Spurs, advancing to the next round in three of four series meetings. In 41 career games including 36 starts against San Antonio, Bryant is averaging 24.9 points per game. In three games against the Spurs last season, Bryant averaged 33.0 points. In three games this season against San Antonio, Bryant is averaging 25.7 points. Spurs forward and former Laker Robert Horry (1996-2003) ranks among franchise leaders in 3-pt. FG made (10th/274) and blocked shots (9th/446). In addition, Horry was a teammate of Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher for all three Lakers championships in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Spurs guard/forward Ime Udoka played in four games for the Lakers during the 2003-04 season, posting eight points, five rebounds and two assists in 28 total minutes.

BonnerDynasty
04-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Even if we win today...Dallas will probably just sit out starters last game against NO so we are screwed anyways I guess.

duncan228
04-13-2008, 10:16 AM
http://my.lakers.com/blogs/2008/04/12/since-we-saw-them-last-spurs/

Since We Saw Them Last: Spurs
Jeff Skibiski

The Lakers and Spurs meet for the final time this season, with the L.A. trailing the season series two games to one. The Lakers are coming off a memorable performance against the New Orleans Hornets in their biggest game of the season Friday night, blowing a 30 point lead before taking over the game in the final minutes of the fourth quarter. The Spurs are coming off a victory of their own against the lowly Seattle Supersonics.

The Lakers lost their last game to their longtime rivals 103-91 in Texas in January. However, the Lakers were playing without Bynum and Gasol had yet to join the team, helping to explain Tim Duncan’s stellar 28 point, 17 rebound performance.

The Spurs will be without leading scorer (20 points) Manu Ginobili for today’s matinee affair due to a left abductor strain injury. Robert Horry and Brent Barry are also out for the defending champions. Manu’s injury is untimely for the Spurs who have already had all kinda of trouble scoring points of late, averaging only 72 in losing three of four prior to their victory Friday night.

Entering the game, the Lakers are a half game ahead of both the Spurs and Rockets and can win the tiebreaker against San Antonio with a win today. Due to New Orleans’ potentially costly loss to Sacramento last night, L.A. still has a chance to secure the number one seed in the Western Conference should they win their remaining two games and the Houston Rockets lose one more game.

duncan228
04-13-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2008/04/13/preview-and-chat-the-san-antonio-spurs/

Preview and Chat: The San Antonio Spurs

Records: Lakers 55-25 (1 seed, tie); Spurs 54-25 (2 seed, tie)
Offensive ratings: Lakers 114.7 (3rd); Spurs 108.9 (14th)
Defensive ratings: Lakers 107.3 (9th); Spurs 103.5 (3rd)
Projected Starting Lineups: Lakers: Derek Fisher, Kobe Bryant, Vladimir Radmanovic, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol
Spurs: Tony Parker, Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan, Fabricio Oberto

Lakers Notes:

I’m not sure I thought, even with Pau back, the Lakers could get the one seed back. And, as Goo said in the comments, I feel like I need a shower after pulling for the Kings. But here they are — win out and the odds of a good first-round matchup improve. They do not control their own destiny (a three-way tie with Houston and NO is possible, even if it is not likely) but they control their own games. I’m not that worried about getting Kobe and the other starters a little extra rest down the stretch because of how drawn out the first round of the playoffs is.

If the Lakers play defense like they did in the first half against the Hornets, they can beat anyone. Fisher did a better job staying in front of Paul than I thought he could. The Lakers’ rotations, particularly from Odom and Pau were sharp. The Lakers were aggressive on the ball and their doubles were hard and smart, that led to turnovers and fast-break opportunities. The Lakers attacked Paul and Chandler on the offensive end, not letting them play half the court. It was, in my humble opinion, the best half of basketball the Lakers have played this year.

But, inconsistency reared its ugly head in the second half, as it has all season for the Lakers. They can’t do that today, or starting next weekend in the playoffs.

Spurs Coming in:

The Lakers catch a big break today as Ginobli is not expected to play due to a groin strain. Of course, that break didn’t help Seattle at all a few nights ago as Parker took on more of the offensive load and the Spurs cruised

I’m not in the camp of “The Spurs Are Done” but the more I see them lately the more I think they will not win the title this year. The reason isn’t the big three — Duncan, Parker and Ginobli have played well all season and that has really continued of late (the spurs are 8-2 in their last 10). In the last 10 all three are averaging at least 16.6 points per game. (That said, Parker is shooting 45.9% and is not hitting his threes, he is someone to lay back on right now). Also, the Spurs have been getting solid play from Finley of late.

And it is not the Spurs defense, which is still the third best in the league for the season. It’s been even better of late, opposing teams are shooting just 44.6% (eFG%) in the last 10. To me, that defense is what keeps them in contention.

But they don’t get the play off the bench that they used to, and I think that will be their downfall in the playoffs. Ime Udoka has had good stretches, same with Kurt Thomas and Brent Barry. But the fact of the matter, you have to have solid group of role players to win a title, and I think the big three in San Antonio no longer have the supporting cast to get them another ring.

Don’t think for a second they are an easy out. Teams that play that kind of defense are all in it.

Keys To The Game:

It’s all about the Lakers defense, as always, and that starts with keeping the penetration of Parker under control. You can’t let him get into the paint for easy buckets, and when they do get in the paint you can’t collapse on them off Bowen in the corner or Barry. Parker’s outside shooting has been off of late (and it was never great, but he is 0-11 from three in the last 10 games) so this would be the rare instance I think the Lakers should go under picks, play off him a little and make him a jumpshooter.

The other thing about the Lakers defense – it always leads to fast break points when they are playing it right. That would be a big help today, the Spurs like it slow (28th in pace in the league). Push the tempo and they become more uncomfortable. (Although, part of what makes the Spurs fantastic is they never stop doing what they want to do, they don’t get sucked into your game. That is a veteran team.)

Well, I guess I should say it’s not all about the Lakers defense – the teams Spurs have had the most trouble with this year are the ones that are the most offensively efficient. Against the teams that are the 10 best shooting teams in the league, the Spurs have won “just” 48% of the games, and the teams that move the ball the best (as determined by racking up assists) beat the Spurs 54% of the time. Basically, if the Lakers play their offense they should score, and that will put pressure on the Spurs offense, not that team’s strong suit.

The Lakers need to crash the boards hard and not let Duncan and Oberto control them for easy put backs.

Quasar
04-13-2008, 12:14 PM
What's with all the Barry comments?

adidas11
04-13-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm so freaking confused. Fucking Lakers just win out and we won't have to play PHX in the 1st round. That's all I care about.

+1