PDA

View Full Version : Three Injured At Grizzlies Game, Section Of Stands Collapses

duncan228
04-12-2008, 08:15 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/04/12/fans.grizzlies.ap/index.html

Three injured at Grizzlies game
Section of FedEx Forum stands collapses before tipoff

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Three people were injured Saturday night before a game between the Minnesota Timberwolves and Memphis Grizzlies when a small section of the stands at FedExForum collapsed.

One man was taken away on a stretcher and two others were treated at the scene, arena officials said.

The incident happened about an hour before the 8 p.m. EDT tip-off as some of the Grizzlies were leaving the floor after the pregame shootaround. Fans were standing at the rail of the section leaning over seeking autographs from the players. The section collapsed to the aisle where the players leave the court, sending a handful of people falling about 3-5 feet to the concrete floor.

Steve Zito, senior vice president of arena operations, said officials will study the accident and talk to witnesses about what happened. He said there have been no similar incidents this season at games or other events, and crews check the stands before the building opens.

"This has surprised us," Zito said. "We're going to find out what happened and make sure it never happens again."

The section was roped off and the season ticket holders who normally sit there were relocated.

1Parker1
04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Wow, that's crazy. Hope they're all ok...

ElNono
04-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm surprised 3 people were there at all...

TampaDude
04-12-2008, 09:22 PM
The people who got hurt are probably thinking CHA-CHING!!! $$$$$!!!

1Parker1
04-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm surprised 3 people were there at all...

:lol That's wrong...

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-12-2008, 09:32 PM
When I first read it I thought three players were injured, and THEN later on the section collapsed.

GuerillaBlack
04-12-2008, 10:13 PM
When I first read it I thought three players were injured, and THEN later on the section collapsed.
Yeah, that would have been....epic.