PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Duncan Should Be Well Rested

duncan228
04-13-2008, 01:01 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041308.Spurs_Notebook.en.5a5fc273.html

Spurs notebook: Duncan should be well rested
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

By the end of Friday night's 95-74 victory over Seattle, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had Tim Duncan right where he wanted him.

On the bench.

Duncan sat the entire fourth quarter, his most active moment coming during an early timeout, which he spent snapping assistant coach Chad Forcier on the rump with a towel.

With three games left in the regular season, and all of them presenting some degree of difficulty, Popovich would like to steal as much rest for his starters as possible.

“At this point in the year, it's good to save up some energy and put some of that in the bank if you can,” Popovich said.

Thanks to a bench that pulled its weight, even with Manu Ginobili sidelined, Popovich was able to accomplish that against the SuperSonics. The Spurs' bench accounted for 35 points, close to what it had been averaging with Ginobili healthy.

No Spurs player logged more than 29 minutes, which should help keep everyone fresh for the final four days of the season.

Meanwhile, the Spurs still don't know the who, when, and where of their first-round playoff series. They finish the regular season with a West Coast road trip to face the Los Angeles Lakers today and Sacramento on Monday before closing Wednesday at home against Utah.

Ginobili in doubt: Ginobili is likely to miss his second consecutive game with a strained groin this afternoon.

Wary of aggravating his star guard's condition with the playoffs looming, Popovich has deemed Ginobili doubtful against the Lakers.

Winning with defense: The Spurs aren't overly concerned about their offense, which has been up and down over the past four games. With the way they are playing defense, they say they can afford the occasional shooting slump.

The Sonics became the Spurs' fifth foe in the past four games to shoot 41 percent or less from the field. The Spurs held them to 38.6 percent, while the 74 points Seattle mustered were 23 below its season average.

“As long as you play good defense, you're going to have a chance to win games,” guard Tony Parker said. “Everybody knows in the playoffs, you have to play defense to win games. As long as our defense is solid, we'll always have a chance.”

barbacoataco
04-13-2008, 01:07 AM
I would like to see Bonner get some playing time. If Horry is finished the Spurs need to give Bonner a chance when the matchups permit.

itzsoweezee
04-13-2008, 01:22 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041308.Spurs_Notebook.en.5a5fc273.html

The Sonics became the Spurs' fifth foe in the past four games to shoot 41 percent or less from the field. The Spurs held them to 38.6 percent, while the 74 points Seattle mustered were 23 below its season average.

what?

Guajalote
04-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Man, Pop's in a pickle. No matter what he does, there are some pretty serious consequences to be paid.

If Duncan logs big minutes for a win, he might not be fresh for the playoffs.

But if Duncan rests in a loss, the Spurs "should have done more" and could potentially face a situation like Dallas had last year when they gave away a game against Golden State.

Guess that's why I'm not the coach (phew!)

SouthernFried
04-13-2008, 01:50 AM
Winning with defense: The Spurs aren't overly concerned about their offense, which has been up and down over the past four games. With the way they are playing defense, they say they can afford the occasional shooting slump.

"They say they can afford the occasional shooting slump"

If they ain't overly concerned with their offense...uh

Nah, this is just Pop being CIA, right? They have to be smarter than that. I mean...nobody is that blind and stupid.

They better be worried to shit about their offense, cuz it's fucking terrible.

Tigole Bitties
04-13-2008, 02:02 AM
The offense is basically "four down" x30

GaryJohnston
04-13-2008, 02:35 AM
I say play the big minutes to beat L.A., but rest Gino. Rest everyone else the final 2 games.

mystargtr34
04-13-2008, 04:22 AM
So in the last 4 games.... the Sonics were the FIFTH team the Spurs held below 41%.

The defense must REALLY be good.

polandprzem
04-13-2008, 05:55 AM
How many kids Tim have?
Wasn't Amy pregnant?

Obstructed_View
04-13-2008, 07:01 AM
what?
Now THAT is super playoff defense. :lol

boutons_
04-13-2008, 09:10 AM
The Spurs may not start the playoffs until next Sunday. Saturday at the earliest.

With the crappy ball the Spurs are playing now, I say you go all out and try to find your game, rythym, confidence in these next 3 games.

Getting blown out by Lakers and Jazz is simply no way to end a season, unless the Spurs obvioiusly rest their starters.

With the crappy play, I don't think the Spurs have earned rest. They need to work on their game.

T Park
04-13-2008, 09:40 AM
"They say they can afford the occasional shooting slump"

If they ain't overly concerned with their offense...uh

Nah, this is just Pop being CIA, right? They have to be smarter than that. I mean...nobody is that blind and stupid.

They better be worried to shit about their offense, cuz it's fucking terrible.

:lol

You people must have jumped on the bandwagon in 05.

duncan228
04-13-2008, 09:58 AM
How many kids Tim have?
Wasn't Amy pregnant?

Duncan has 2 kids.
His daughter will be 3 in June, his son will be 1 this summer.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-13-2008, 10:17 AM
The Spurs may not start the playoffs until next Sunday. Saturday at the earliest.

With the crappy ball the Spurs are playing now, I say you go all out and try to find your game, rythym, confidence in these next 3 games.

Getting blown out by Lakers and Jazz is simply no way to end a season, unless the Spurs obvioiusly rest their starters.

With the crappy play, I don't think the Spurs have earned rest. They need to work on their game.

You are completely wrong. The Spurs have absolutely nothing to prove about their team. They've won the trophy almost 1/2 of the seasons Tim Duncan has played, for God's sake. They've been to a rodeo before. They know exactly what it takes to be ready for the playoffs, and it doesn't include burning yourself out in the regular season just to get some lousy seed.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Man, Pop's in a pickle. No matter what he does, there are some pretty serious consequences to be paid.

If Duncan logs big minutes for a win, he might not be fresh for the playoffs.

But if Duncan rests in a loss, the Spurs "should have done more" and could potentially face a situation like Dallas had last year when they gave away a game against Golden State.

Guess that's why I'm not the coach (phew!)

I think Pop knows exactly what he wants to do. He is not in any pickle.

The race this year is so tight you can't predict what will happen because of whether you win or lose a game. Hindsight is 20-20 as they say. Popovich also has 4 rings, so he's not about to fret about a regular season decision.

polandprzem
04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Duncan has 2 kids.
His daughter will be 3 in June, his son will be 1 this summer.

I was 95% sure Tim had two kids (why not 100%? - amnesia or something), but as someone asked me a week ago I said 2 kids. Now I'm looking in the internet and I have no confirmation.

I should be ashamed, and damn I am!

duncan228
04-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Now I'm looking in the internet and I have no confirmation.

From Duncan's NBA.com bio:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/bio.html

Personal
He and wife, Amy, were married in the summer of 2001 … the couple has two children …

polandprzem
04-13-2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/tim_duncan.html

from the spurs.com

He and wife, Amy, were married in the summer of 2001 … the couple had their first child in the summer of 2005 … created the Tim Duncan Foundation in November of 2001 …

I must to think about nice punishment to myself.

I'm calling myself a TD fan not knowing something 100%?
:bang

Ps. I quite not much remember from the last years summer ...

duncan228
04-13-2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/tim_duncan.html

from the spurs.com

He and wife, Amy, were married in the summer of 2001 … the couple had their first child in the summer of 2005 … created the Tim Duncan Foundation in November of 2001 …

I must to think about nice punishment to myself.

I'm calling myself a TD fan not knowing something 100%?
:bang

Ps. I quite not much remember from the last years summer ...

Don't beat yourself up. Spurs.com isn't updated. NBA.com wasn't updated until after this season started.

You know who to ask. :)

polandprzem
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought I was the one to ask :)

At least I'm sinciere

makedamnsure
04-13-2008, 01:55 PM
what's his son's name?

duncan228
04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
what's his son's name?

Haven't found it anywhere.

makedamnsure
04-13-2008, 02:00 PM
The Duncan fact master is finally stumped!

duncan228
04-13-2008, 02:01 PM
The Duncan fact master is finally stumped!

:lol It doesn't happen often.

polandprzem
04-13-2008, 02:22 PM
And I frickin remember this thread

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78453