PDA

View Full Version : Lakers go from new rivals to old

LakeShow
04-13-2008, 12:04 PM
LAKERS REPORT
Lakers go from new rivals to old

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-04/37804059.jpg

Alex Gallardo / Los Angeles Times
Kobe Bryant and the Lakers will try to fly past the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday in a Western Conference showdown with plenty of playoff implications.

After beating the Hornets, they face the battle-tested Spurs with only two games left in the regular season.
By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 13, 2008
And now, the Lakers get to relax and enjoy themselves as they drift gently toward the playoffs, whenever they may begin.

Not quite. Reality beckons.

Friday's game against New Orleans was big, today's game against San Antonio qualifies as big, even though it's becoming almost cliché to say with the playoffs still almost a week away.

But the season gets later and the Western Conference gets tighter, perhaps in historic proportion.

A conference has had seven teams with 50 or more regular-season victories only one other time (2001-02) since the NBA adopted conference play in 1970-71. If Denver or Golden State reaches the 50-victory plateau, league history will be made.

It's a reason why veteran Derek Fisher, he of 12 NBA seasons and, of course, "0.4" fame, couldn't remember a regular season like this.

"It would be hard to do," he said. "I don't think I can, not honestly. I don't think there's been a year where you legitimately feel like one through four or five [in the West], possibly six, depending on what market you write in, have a chance to win the championship."

Today's game is merely the latest episode.

The Lakers (55-25) are now tied with the Hornets, but they they own the tiebreaker in conference record. They lead the Spurs (54-25) by half a game, and a Lakers victory today clinches at least second place in the West.

A Lakers loss, however, gives San Antonio the advantage in the first playoff tiebreaker, head-to-head games, which the Spurs currently own, 2-1.

The Lakers have heard the stories all season long -- the Spurs are old, they're past their prime -- but don't subscribe to them.

After all, the Spurs have won four championships in the last nine years and have won 10 of their last 12 games, a no-longer-surprising late-season run for the veteran team.

"They aren't as old and slow as people like to say they are," Fisher said.

And they still play defense, holding opponents to 90.4 points a game, third-best in the league behind Detroit and Boston.

"The real key with San Antonio is about being able to score at the offensive end," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said. "We have to understand exactly what we're going to accomplish out there."

It looked as if the Lakers would rip through New Orleans on Friday, but then the second half rolled around and the Hornets turned a 30-point hole into a one-point deficit.

The Lakers still managed to win, 107-104, placing an even greater premium on today, if not Tuesday's regular-season finale against Sacramento.

"We know the importance of the two games that we have left," forward Pau Gasol said. "I think when we go back and think of the couple games we gave away, now we could have been in first and locked up that first spot.

"But it is what it is, and we have to think about reality."

------

For what it's worth, Clippers Coach Mike Dunleavy said the Lakers were championship contenders despite the unknown return date for Andrew Bynum.

"I think Bynum would certainly help them defensively, but you look at their team, they've got a great low-post game, a great isolation game and they've got it surrounded by a really good three-point shooting team," Dunleavy said. "And you've got mobility. You've got rebounding. You've got depth. I think the one area, obviously, Bynum can come back and help them is to block some shots and rebound and make them that much better."

------

Director Spike Lee will be filming Kobe Bryant today for an upcoming ESPN Films project. Lee will start shooting video early in the morning and follow Bryant throughout the day

Cry Havoc
04-13-2008, 01:11 PM
"The real key with San Antonio is about hoping one of their best players is down with an injury and that Duncan has an off-game and beats himself," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said. "We have to understand exactly what we're going to accomplish out there."

TheMACHINE
04-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Already getting ready for excuses Cryhavoc?

DazedAndConfused
04-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Whatever injuries the Spurs have right now it still doesn't match what the Lakers are going through.

Bynum - Knee
Ariza - Foot
Fisher - Torn tendon in foot
Kobe - Dislocated pinky
Gasol - Ankle still not 100%

So politely STFU about Ginobli being out.

BonnerDynasty
04-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Whatever injuries the Spurs have right now it still doesn't match what the Lakers are going through.

Bynum - Knee
Ariza - Foot
Fisher - Torn tendon in foot
Kobe - Dislocated pinky
Gasol - Ankle still not 100%

So politely STFU about Ginobli being out.

I gotta agree with this.