PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown: [Pop said] the Spurs approached the Phoenix game like a huge game.

Quasar
04-13-2008, 12:51 PM
The Spurs' Loss to Phoenix Is Troubling
In speaking to Pop, the Spurs approached the Phoenix game like a huge game. I was down in San Antonio to visit with him and asked him to go to the Final Four, but he didn’t want to fight the crowd and he wanted to prepare for Phoenix, and that was with three days to prepare. Still, they only scored 79 points. So I think they have to find a way to score. They won eight in a row, got bombed by Utah, and then won at Portland. Again, Horry’s not dressing, Barry’s not there, and Ginobili had a real off game, but these kids have been through it before. Based on the emphasis put on that game, it bothers me a little bit how they played. I think the Spurs can score off the Lakers because they’re not a great defensive team. Then again, I didn’t think the Suns were a great defensive team.

OOps.. i guess this lays to rest any CIA thoughts... unless Larry Brown is in on the CIA' scheme :)

Nice preview of tonight's game against the Lakers by Pop's mentor: http://www.nba.com/features/sas_lal_xsandos_080411.html

td4mvp21
04-13-2008, 12:53 PM
We just got outplayed and outcoached. I think it's laughable to think that was CIA Pop in action. Yeah, let's tank that game, give the Suns more confidence against us, fall to the third seed where we would play-oh wait, the confident Suns! Yeah, there was no CIA Pop. The Spurs just sucked ass and Phoenix played really well.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Spurs won't repeat, I hope Duncan leaves the Spurs.

Quasar
04-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Now now, let's be reasonable. SpursDynasty21 is already all over the place. No need to bring him into this thread.

Oh well... at least his nick name reflects the truth! If only you could see only his name and not the posts, more people would Believe! :)

T Park
04-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm sure they took the game seriously.

sa_kid20
04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I hate all this CIA Pop BS.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2008, 01:10 PM

agreed.

Anyways, the one positive thing for SA to end up with a short playoff run is that it will hopefully encourage the front office to clean house completely outside of the big 3

Cry Havoc
04-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Sure we approached it like a huge game.

A huge regular season game.

It was a great win for Phoenix, but until they show that they can play our ball IN THE PLAYOFFS and still give us a run for our money, it is pointless. The Spurs still have the better record and they are still a more defensive, battle-tested team.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-13-2008, 01:29 PM
They only prepared for the first 3 and 1/2 quarters. Resting was more important than battling for the W and racking up minutes after that.

Pop said he was pleased with the defense and the hustle of the bench.

The scoring would be there if he doesn't bench his scorers so often, which he won't do in the playoffs.

ClingingMars
04-13-2008, 01:34 PM

Don't doubt that it exits...it just wasn't used in the Phoenix game.

- Mars

Quasar
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I must say it was pretty deflating to check the boxscore in the morning and find out that the Spurs were waxed by Phoenix. Nevertheless... I still believe they can do great things if healthy in the playoffs!

They've been quite inconsistent in their playoff series these past few years, winning a lot, then getting the shit beaten out of them in losses by more than 15 points. I guess that's a function of their focus, which determines how well they defend and execute the game plan.

Despite all that we're already at 4 rings, going on 5! The suns game was just a bump on the road. Now that we know Manu got injured that game... we can only hope that the cavalry will arrive on time stronger than ever!

Quasar
04-13-2008, 01:56 PM
The scoring would be there if he doesn't bench his scorers so often, which he won't do in the playoffs.

Pop does tend to rest the hot hands in games, for reasons known to him only... Either that, or he doesn't respond to the hot hands by drawing plays for them, but pretends he doesn't see it (eg. Finley goin 4-7, but not shooting more).

This is something I've noticed he does even in the playoffs...

davi78239
04-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm sure they took the game seriously.

How is Splitter already in an NBA Game?