PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will drop to #6 and play #3 Houston in the 1st round

kev
04-13-2008, 05:38 PM
This is actually not that bad of a scenario. If you get by Houston, you play the 2/7 winner, which if the seedings go how I think they will, will be either a playoff virgin New Orleans, or a beatable Dallas team. This is an easier route than having Phoenix, the Lakers and Utah in your half of the bracket.

Hopefully the seedings work out this way, but unless we get a healthy Many and Brent back, it may not matter.

Amarelooms
04-13-2008, 05:39 PM
This is actually not that bad of a scenario. If you get by Houston, you play the 2/7 winner, which if the seedings go how I think they will, will be either a playoff virgin New Orleans, or a beatable Dallas team. This is an easier route than having Phoenix, the Lakers and Utah in your half of the bracket.

Hopefully the seedings work out this way, but unless we get a healthy Many and Brent back, it may not matter.

As a Mavs fan i like what you're saying....would love that second round matchup....decent chance for Mavs do get to WCF :elephant

Rynospursfan
04-13-2008, 05:45 PM
That wouldn't be a bad scenario for the Spurs.

MrChug
04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
IF it happens, but playing the way we are that would worry me...and I never feel like this in the championship years. Period.

Indazone
04-13-2008, 05:57 PM
If the Rockets win the last three games, the Rockets are the number one seed I believe.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
So now the Spurs can beat the Rockets at Houston?

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Yes.

PhxDog
04-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Why would the Suns acquiesce to this? They need rest as much as the Spurs do.

SpurAddict561
04-13-2008, 06:03 PM
lmao@ The thought of the Rockets finishing at the 1st seed.

wow, bias much?

21_Blessings
04-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Who cares? SA is still going to lose to the Lakers regardless

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes.

because the Spurs have really proven that this season :rolleyes

Indazone
04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
First a look at the remaining schedules:
Rockets: @Nuggets, @Jazz, Clippers
Hornets: Clippers, @Mavs
Lakers: Kings Spoilers
Spurs: @Spoilers, Jazz

Keep in mind that Phoenix has the Tie Break advantage over the Spurs. If the Spurs lose to the Sacramento Spoilers or the Jazz, they are in serious jeopardy of falling all the way to #6.

The Rockets, meanwhile, move up to #3. If we win tonight, we’ll still be #3, tied with the Hornets and a ½ game back of LA. However, if we win out, we get at least the #2 seed.

If the Lakers beat the Kings AND the Hornets win out, we are guaranteed the #1 seed. We wouldn’t be the division winner or have home court over the Hornets, but we would be the #1 seed due to a better record.

If the Hornets lose at least one game, we win the Southwest division, we are the #1 seed, and we have home court over every team in the Western Conference.

We have pretty good odds to stay ahead of the Spurs at this point even with the Rockets having @Nuggets, @Jazz on their plate the next two evenings. The Spurs close with @Sacremento, Jazz. I’m going to assume a victory over the Clippers, so you just need to find a combination of 2 Rocket victories or Spur losses. It seems pretty likely. If we stay ahead of the Spurs, we will get a top 3 seed.

If we get the #2 seed we will likely face the Mavericks, or even the #1 seed and face the Warriors\Nuggets. The Lakers also have a game with the Sac. Rockets do not want the #3 seed because that would likely mean the Suns or Spurs.

SpurAddict561
04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
lmao...Spurs Dynasty bout to slit his wrists over the Spurs play lately.

It's alright, buddy....we've been here before.

I'll worry when we're down 3-2 in a playoff series and we're losing with only a few minutes left in the game.

Bookmark this thread and revisit when that is the case.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-13-2008, 06:09 PM
because the Spurs have really proven that this season :rolleyes
Yes.

SpurAddict561
04-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm not reading all that jibberish...just know that you won't be seeing a round 2 Rockets game (too familiar), regardless of the outcome of the seedings.

You can count on that.

Indazone
04-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Yep, the Rockets suck cause we can't win any games.

T Park
04-13-2008, 06:20 PM
No the rockets suck cause they play no defense and have no point guards.

But yeah, if that could happen, that would rock!!!

I'd take that 6th seed.

Herschel Walker
04-13-2008, 06:27 PM
The Spurs are playing horrible because the big 3 has become the big Parker, and he's not even in top form. It's freaking odd to see 2 of 3 stars and one of them a superstar completely playing like trash at this time of year. They aren't robots so there could be many reasons, but it is really odd. These last three losses haven't been as much about the role players as the lack of performance from the stars.

T Park
04-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Herschel hits it on the head.

Honestly, a well played game from manu duncan and parker and then losing by 20 would bother me.

SpursGO
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
lmao@ The thought of the Rockets finishing at the 1st seed.

wow, bias much?

They can, if they win all 3 games, which is nuggets, jazz, and clippers.

DaDakota
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
No the rockets suck cause they play no defense and have no point guards.

But yeah, if that could happen, that would rock!!!

I'd take that 6th seed.

The Rockets are one of the best defenses in the NBA.....but you are right about our STARTING PGs....but we have a very nice one on the bench who is extremely fast...makes Tony Parker look like he is standing still.

:D

DD

BonnerDynasty
04-13-2008, 06:40 PM
The Spurs are in the 2nd best scenario right now outside of getting 1st place. Scenario being it is still tight enough that they can hope to manipulate themselves to be 5th or 6th. Assuming you are comfortable with Utah and Lakers/Hornets to WCF -- avoiding Mavs/Suns/Lakers/Hornets all until the WCF.

Who says PHX won't tank games to ensure HOU in the first round though. That's the problem. You KNOW they don't want Utah.

T Park
04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
The Rockets are one of the best defenses in the NBA.....but you are right about our STARTING PGs....but we have a very nice one on the bench who is extremely fast...makes Tony Parker look like he is standing still.

:D

DD

Uh their numbers are one of the best,

but I've watched them up close and personal ever since Yao went down. Their interior defense is as bad as the Laker's is.

manufor3
04-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Who cares? LA is still going to lose to the Spurs regardless
fixed

1Parker1
04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Uh their numbers are one of the best,

but I've watched them up close and personal ever since Yao went down. Their interior defense is as bad as the Laker's is.

The west is pretty overrated then.

At least be consistent when you spout your bullshit nonsense.

Indazone
04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/04/its_not_who_its_how_rockets_10.html

Here's what you do over the final few days of the wildest playoff race in NBA history:

You load all of the numbers and all of the data and all of the trends into the computer.

Then you open the window, take the computer and throw it out into the street.

And hope a truck runs over it.

This is why you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out playoff matchups.

Night like this. When Shaq and the Suns are supposed to squash the Rockets like bugs.

Only the Rockets turn out to be the windshield and the Suns need to be scraped off.

Go figure Amare Stoudemire going off for 37 points and 11 rebounds, Shaquille O'Neal getting 16 and 11 and the Rockets still spend most of the fourth quarter casually doing the backstroke with a double-digit lead.

The lesson is stop trying to figure out the best place in the seedings for the Rockets. Stop worrying about who will be the best matchup in the first round.

At this point in a wildly improbable season, it's not who the Rockets play, but how they play.

If they have Luis Scola doing his bull-in-a-china-shop act (19 points, 5 rebounds), they're fine. If they have Carl Landry back to being his jumping jack self (14 points, 7 rebounds), they'll be fine. If they have Bobby Jackson buzzing around for 13 points, they'll be fine.

Collectively, the Rockets' bench hit 19 of 28 shots and scored 43 points.

Collectively is what this season has been all about and why some people don't buy that notion that the Rockets are the team you want to draw in the first round. (By the way, by winning this one, the Rockets could still finish No. 3 and get themselves a return match with Phoenix at No. 6.)

"I think that plays right into their hands - an underrated group that knows they've got to play their butts off to be good," said two-time MVP Steve Nash. "They've got to play together to be good. They use their intelligence and hustle and athleticism and really sneak up on people.

"I don't know why people keep saying that. They've won 22 in a row this year, 19 of the last 20 or something at home. They're a good team. No matter what names are on the jerseys, what accomplishments they have are collectively. They're smart, they play hard and they're winners.

"It doesn't take long to realize they just play their butts off and they play smart. It's a simple formula and it's good to see. It's good for basketball."

And good to remember. It's not who, it's how.

T Park
04-13-2008, 07:13 PM
:lol Such a bitter jerk.

I said their defense isn't good, that doesn't mean they aren't a good team.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Spurs must avoid Scola in the playoffs

the karma would be too much to overcome

davi78239
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
yea really. Imagine scola scoring a game winning shot against spurs in playoffs

BIG z
04-13-2008, 07:24 PM
i want to play the rockets, they dont have enough big bodies...

T Park
04-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah cause Scola has such a great history in big game situations.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
yea really. Imagine scola scoring a game winning shot against spurs in playoffs

I could see a player taking a last second shot and Scola getting the game wining put back

davi78239
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I could see a player taking a last second shot and Scola getting the game wining put back

watch, it's gonna happen dude.

himat
04-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I see the Spurs playing the Jazz in the first round.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I can also see you getting banned.
But hey we can't always get what we want.

Gros Membres!
04-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Playoff matchups I want to avoid - Jazz with a hungry vet coach and the young athletes scare me. Suns with a Shaq presence in the middle frighten me. And the Lakers interior defense isn't great but Gasol, Kobe, Odom and Fisher seemed to be giving the Spurs some very serious trouble today on both ends.

New Orleans, imho, is beatable. And Rockets are beatable in 6 or maybe even 5 if you can exploit the interior. I would rather see Houston than any of those other teams. But we're not going anywhere without a healthy and rested Manu, an aggressive Parker and Duncan.

1Parker1
04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, the Rockets look like they're about to lose to the Nuggets tonight so they couldn't take advantage.

ducks
04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
scola chokes in big games see his history

spurs would own rockets in postseason

ducks
04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Denver 111, Houston 94

ducks
04-13-2008, 10:25 PM
T. McGrady F 30:10 5-18 denver shut down mcgrady that is funny

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-13-2008, 10:28 PM
lol dallas loses to the sonics just like the nuggs

we could still get the 7th seed

Mister Sinister
04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Scola, Scola, Scola, Scola, Scola, Sc...Sco....SCOLAAAAAAAAAAA! <Spooge> <Sigh> Scolaa.....

BIG z
04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
we are number three again....

boutons_
04-13-2008, 11:44 PM
"we are number three again...."

where will we be with 28 L Wed night?

Indazone
04-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Everyone in Texas loses. Mav's to the Sonics, Houston to the Nuggets, and Spurs to the Lakers.

Everyone Penalty Drink!!!