PDA

View Full Version : Laker fan question

2Cleva
04-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Obviously, the Spurs are the Spurs. No reason to throw dirt on them yet - they still are defending champions and have the ring collection to prove their worth.

But the surprising thing about SA is their lack of interior defense. Maybe its because with Gasol/Odom together Duncan is forced to play honest D and can't protect the basket but LA had at least 14 layups/dunks in the game yesterday. (These highlights show 14 http://www.lakersmedia.com/?p=98)

The Spurs can't use Duncan as the anchor he is against LA because of LA's bigs. Only time he really focused on protecting the basket was when he was guaring Turiaf but Ronny hit a couple Js in his eye to pull him back out.

Most teams can't exploit that but it sounds like big trouble against the Suns and Lakers for the Spurs. Ginobili coming back doesn't change that. Both Oberto and Thomas are just too slow for LA to worry about.

Another - its not the age of the Spurs but I think they are just physically a small team. Vaughn? Stoudamire? Finley? Thomas? Parker? Just on the eye-test they don't appear to bring enough of a physical element.

Which leads to my last comment and it's about Udoka. Why doesn't he get more burn? He's perfect for the Spurs scheme - I don't see why he's not getting 30+ a night.

xtremesteven33
04-14-2008, 09:22 AM
i can see why you say this, but seriously well see what happens in the playoffs. Yea it doesnt look good for the Spurs so far but we have been unhealthy this year....

I GUARANTEE you man, the Spurs are not going down without a fight...its gonna take a full 7 games to beat this team.....and i only see Phoenix doing so....defineletly not the Lakers...

Ginofan
04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Ehh, I think K.T. could be physical when the time comes. I would have definitely had him in covering Shaq the other night rather than Oberto. He may be slow but he has more of a presence about him than Fab.

As far as being old or less physical...I think you're right. They are definitely are not moving as much as they used to. The offense is slowed down to a snail's pace and that's even when Parker is in. There is hardly any ball movement or fast breaks. Besides Parker's quickness, I think Vaughn could rev it up. There was a game this year I think against PHX, where we really saw him speed up and go to the hoop alot while sacraficing his body. I think if he could play like that more often we would be in a better position than we are now.

I would LOVE for Ime to get more minutes, I think if they just gave him a decent chance he could develop into the player we need.

Killakobe81
04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
What you definitely don't see the Lakers winning a 7 game series?! Why? we can defend Duncan pretty well...Fisher is a historic Spur killer ...and the too soft Gasol is blocking Timmy's shot. Im not saying Lakers will win but to say you can't see it or that Suns have better chance is foolish.

DarrinS
04-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Spurs stunk it up yesterday on both sides of the court.

I have NO doubt, they'll play better in the playoffs.

peskypesky
04-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Spurs definitely have some "issues" and playing without Manu, Barry and Horry doesn't help. Now it looks like Horry won't play, Barry is questionable, and Manu could re-injure that groin. If he does, our chances go way down.

But if Manu plays, I still think the Big 3 (and Bowen's defense) could still get us through the West. It'll be tough, no doubt about that, but remember, Tim Duncan ALWAYS raises his game in the post-season. And I get the feeling Tony is saving a little for the playoffs too. So we'll see.

I do agree with you that Udoka is playing well and should get more minutes.

DDS4
04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
The interior D has never been the same since DRob left. Except for Kurt Thomas, all the bigs we've had since are not stellar defenders nor shot blockers.

I'm more concerned about the Spurs' offense more than anything.

LakeShow
04-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Obviously, the Spurs are the Spurs. No reason to throw dirt on them yet - they still are defending champions and have the ring collection to prove their worth.

But the surprising thing about SA is their lack of interior defense. Maybe its because with Gasol/Odom together Duncan is forced to play honest D and can't protect the basket but LA had at least 14 layups/dunks in the game yesterday. (These highlights show 14 http://www.lakersmedia.com/?p=98)

The Spurs can't use Duncan as the anchor he is against LA because of LA's bigs. Only time he really focused on protecting the basket was when he was guaring Turiaf but Ronny hit a couple Js in his eye to pull him back out.

Most teams can't exploit that but it sounds like big trouble against the Suns and Lakers for the Spurs. Ginobili coming back doesn't change that. Both Oberto and Thomas are just too slow for LA to worry about.

Another - its not the age of the Spurs but I think they are just physically a small team. Vaughn? Stoudamire? Finley? Thomas? Parker? Just on the eye-test they don't appear to bring enough of a physical element.

Which leads to my last comment and it's about Udoka. Why doesn't he get more burn? He's perfect for the Spurs scheme - I don't see why he's not getting 30+ a night.
I agree with you on what you took from that game. I've taken the same thing. My one worry about the Spurs was if they would dominate the Lakers in the paint without Bynum. I also worried about the Spurs experience. Ginobili was never a concern as far as that goes. The Lakers can neutralize Manu. The play in the post was the main concern. I think the Lakers can beat the Spurs in a seven game series. I feel like Phil, Kobe and Fishers championship experience along with Gasol and Odom's limited experience is enough to get them over the hump. The big rebound advantage shows me that the Spurs will not dominate the Lakers in the post, even without Bynum. Sure, Timmie wont play as badly every game but the Lakers showed that they can compete in the post. I don't expect the Lakers to dominate like they did yesterday every game but I see the lakers as being competitive.

I personally think the biggest concern for the Lakers vs. Spurs will be Horry. If he can not go, I feel very confident against the Spurs. If he can go, we're in for a battle.

mystargtr34
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
What you definitely don't see the Lakers winning a 7 game series?! Why? we can defend Duncan pretty well...Fisher is a historic Spur killer ...and the too soft Gasol is blocking Timmy's shot. Im not saying Lakers will win but to say you can't see it or that Suns have better chance is foolish.

Blocking a Tim Duncan hook shot doesnt take away the fact hes soft... but very skilled nonetheless.

If Gasol and Odom want to take jump shots all game thats fine.... i think Timmy is ok guarding Pau as he likes to back down but against Timmy he probably doesnt have the girth or bulk to back him down so he tries to shoot J's or go around him...

The Lakers are just playin some real good ball right now and SA isnt , simple as that....

It would be a very good 7 game series... and i think right now... LA has to be considered the slightest of favourites to come out of the West.