PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion: Greatest NBA Player ever

Lakers_55
04-14-2008, 08:52 AM
I give the nod to Wilt Chamberlain. Yeah, I know I am in a minority, most everyone else is going to pick Michael Jordan. One of the reasons is everyone who picks #23 saw him play and the wonders her did with the ball. In 20 years, LeBron James will probably be called the greatest ever because those picking him witnessed his talents, but not Michael's. This trend will continue...

So, I admit I am old enough to have witnessed first hand a good portion of Wilt's career as it unfolded. What I missed due to age I made up for with plenty of video highlights and a hell of a lot of reading.

Let me make my case:

A) Wilt once scored 100 points in a game.
B) He averaged over 50 points per game in one season.
C) Wilt never fouled out on personals from any NBA game. (Once he got two technicals and an ejection). Even if he was in foul trouble, he gave his all on the court. Particularly memorable was game 4 of the 1972 NBA finals in overtime game 4 against the Knicks.
D) It was not uncommon for Wilt to play all 48 minutes of a game. He rested usually only when the game was out of reach. He even averaged over 48 minutes a game at least one season due to overtimes.
E) Rebounds: He was the king. In the Lakers 1971-72 title run, it was not uncommon for Wilt to pull down 30+ boards in a game.
F) Blocked shots: They weren't recorded in his day (along with steals). I can't tell you the number of times he recorded double digit blocks in a game. I have audio tapes of old radio broadcasts where he blocked the same guy 3 times in one possesion. When he defended Kareem, he couldn't block him often, but he challenged every skyhook.
G) Wilt the intimidator: His presence in the middle and the threat of a block altered every penetrating shot attempt that came his direction.
H) When Wilt wanted to lead the league in assists, he did. Granted, Oscar Robertson had better stats that year, but injuries cost him many games played which meant his marks didn't go in the books. You needed to play 70 games to be counted in league leadership stats.
I) Wilt the enforcer. I remember one game in Philly in the early 70's. A Laker and a Sixer got in a fight. A Sixer grabbed the Laker player to pull him away. Wilt reached out with his long arms, picked them both up, and marched them to the other end of the court. Wilt promptly received a standing ovation. When Milwaukee ended the Lakers 33 game winning streak in 1972, Kareem took a punch at Laker forward Happy Hairston. Wilt was promptly on the scene and fortunately, the situation didn't get out of hand. Gee, I wonder why?
J) They changed the rules because of Wilt. The NBA widened the key to keep him away from the basket. Well, that didn't work. Reminds me of what the NCAA did to slow down Lew Alcindor (Now Kareem Abdul Jabbar). They outlawed the dunk shot! Dumb move, all that made Lew do was work on his jump shot and skyhook....Anyway, I like what Wilt had to say when addressing the question of who was greater, him or Jordan. "Michael, when they change the rules because of you, call me."

Ok, Wilt wasn't perfect on the court. Free throws were his undoing. The NBA used to have a penalty shot when a team was out of fouls in a quarter. "3 chances to make 2" and "2 to make 1." I can't tell you how many times I witnessed Wilt score a hat trick, missing all three and an airball or two was common. He tried an underhanded delivery, and moved to different spots behind the free throw line to shoot, nothing worked. It was all psychological. However, any teammate foolish enough to bet Wilt on free throws during practice usually lost his money.

Wilt only won 2 NBA titles. As he said, when his Philly teams (Warriors and later the Sixers) played the Celtics, he would beat the pants off Bill Russell, but the 4 Celtics left would handle his 4 guys well-enough. Remember, we are talking about an individual great, not a team.

Wilt's career ended with the NBA in 1973. He jumped ship to the ABA and the San Diego Conquistadors to become player/coach. Bitter then Laker owner Jack Kent Cooke went to court to keep him from playing there and was unfortunately successful. Would have been interesting to see what he might have done in the ABA.

Wilt got really into volleyball after he left basketball. He also one time considered boxing with Muhammed Ali.

Wilt was conceived as selfish on the court. I guess you could say he was the Kobe Bryant of his era. He often alienated himself from the best players, venting sharp criticisms. Kareem got fed up with him. He got on Shaq's case too.

Anyway, I am a lifelong basketball fan looking for intelligent discussions. This seems like a great board with plenty of knowledgeable basketball fans, so looking forward to whatever anyone has to say here. Agree or disagree with me if you want, but you will be even more smarter about this game as a result! I want to learn things from you as well. :)

Google for Wilt to learn more.

Matchman
04-14-2008, 09:01 AM
nothing matters when u dont win the championship and Jordan got boatloads of them as the leader. I will rank anyone who wins more championships than he did (as a leader) above him.

stretch
04-14-2008, 09:07 AM
He also played in a league where 6'6 was considered tall, and 90% of the league completely lacked athleticism (due to so many white guys :lol). He came into the league way before his time. If he was in the league these days, there is no fucking way he ever has a shot at 100 points or any of the ridiculous stuff he did. He would be a 24-13 and 2-3 blocks kind of guy, which is still very very good, but not quite 50-20 or whatever the fuck he had. No way he gets those stats banging around with guys like Shaq, Duncan, Dwight Howard, or Hakeem. I would rather have Shaq, Duncan, or Hakeem in their primes.

PM5K
04-14-2008, 11:24 AM
My dad is 60, a big Wilt fan but even he can admit that Jordan was better...

JamStone
04-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Wilt is definitely in the conversation, along with Jordan. I would add Oscar to the conversation as well. But, Michael Jordan is the best. Wilt is close though.

MrChug
04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
He also played in a league where 6'6 was considered tall, and 90% of the league completely lacked athleticism (due to so many white guys :lol). He came into the league way before his time. If he was in the league these days, there is no fucking way he ever has a shot at 100 points or any of the ridiculous stuff he did. He would be a 24-13 and 2-3 blocks kind of guy, which is still very very good, but not quite 50-20 or whatever the fuck he had. No way he gets those stats banging around with guys like Shaq, Duncan, Dwight Howard, or Hakeem. I would rather have Shaq, Duncan, or Hakeem in their primes.

There's no debating what stretch adds, and he's probably got another 200 points of argument to add. Ever heard of a guy named Wes Unseld? They listed that guy at 6'7" and he was among the most dominant centers of his time. They must have been using the Charles Barkey rules. Dude was no taller than 6'5" I don't think. Still averaged a buttload of rebounds. No one was the monster that The Stilt was, but maybe that's why it came so easy to him.