PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Kings Preview

duncan228
04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20080414/SASSAC/preview.html?nav=scoreboardhome

Spurs-Kings Preview
By MATT BECKER, STATS Writer

The San Antonio Spurs blew their chance at the top seed in the Western Conference. Not having the best record in the West didn't seem to bother them too much a year ago, though.

The defending NBA champion Spurs look to bounce back from a tough loss and move closer to clinching home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs when they visit the Sacramento Kings on Monday.

San Antonio (54-26) lost to the Los Angeles Lakers 106-85 on Sunday, costing the Spurs a shot at the top seed and allowing the Lakers to take over of sole possession of first place in the West. The Spurs, however, managed to stay in third place as Houston lost to Denver 111-94 later on Sunday night.

While Utah has already clinched the Northwest Division and at least the fourth seed in the West, San Antonio is one game back of Southwest Division-leading New Orleans, which is second in the conference. The Spurs also have the same record as division rival Houston, but own the tiebreaker.

San Antonio can clinch at least third place in the West with a victory in this game coupled with a Rockets' loss in Utah on Monday.

The Spurs were the third seed in the West last season en route to winning their fourth championship in nine years.

On Sunday, the Spurs were outscored 53-32 in the second half and were outrebounded 51-36 in the game. San Antonio has lost three of its last five games after winning its previous eight.

"We haven't played well in about three, four, five games now," Tim Duncan said. "We've just have got to find a way to make some shots."

Manu Ginobili, who leads the Spurs in scoring at 19.6 points, missed his second straight game Sunday because of a strained left groin. San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said he's counting on Ginobili being available when the playoffs begin, but he's not sure about the final two regular-season games.

"We're better off to be a lower seed with a healthy Manu than a higher seed without a healthy Manu,'' Popovich said.

"Come playoff time, we'll have as good a chance as anybody to do well,''

Tony Parker had 20 points, seven rebounds and five assists to lead San Antonio on Sunday, but was held to two points after halftime. Parker, who has scored 20 points in each of his last three games, is averaging 15.3 points and 6.0 assists in three games versus Sacramento this season.

The Spurs have won two of three over the Kings (38-42) this season, but lost 112-99 at Sacramento on Nov. 26, snapping a four-game winning streak at Arco Arena.

The Kings are coming off a 94-91 victory over New Orleans on Saturday, knocking the Hornets out of the top spot in the West.

With Sacramento's playoff hopes long gone, the Kings would love nothing more than to mess up San Antonio's playoff seeding, too.

"We're mucking it up," coach Reggie Theus said. "You can't do anything but smile about it. We haven't given up. Our effort was phenomenal."

With leading scorer Kevin Martin out Saturday with a right knee injury and Brad Miller missing his fifth straight game with leg and elbow injuries, Ron Artest picked up the scoring slack.

Artest returned after missing three of four games with a sprained right thumb and hit four clutch 3-pointers in the fourth quarter and finished with 22 points. He has 43 points and 13 rebounds in two games against the Spurs this season.

Martin, who is averaging 23.7 points, is listed as questionable for this game.

The Kings have won six of their last eight games, and eight of their last 10 at Arco Arena.

Killakobe81
04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Spurs should win ESPECIALLY if Martin is out ...hes their leading scorer so no Manu is out excuses ...

Gino20
04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20080414/SASSAC/preview.html?nav=scoreboardhome

Spurs-Kings Preview
By MATT BECKER, STATS Writer

The San Antonio Spurs blew their chance at the top seed in the Western Conference. Not having the best record in the West didn't seem to bother them too much a year ago, though.

The defending NBA champion Spurs look to bounce back from a tough loss and move closer to clinching home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs when they visit the Sacramento Kings on Monday.

San Antonio (54-26) lost to the Los Angeles Lakers 106-85 on Sunday, costing the Spurs a shot at the top seed and allowing the Lakers to take over of sole possession of first place in the West. The Spurs, however, managed to stay in third place as Houston lost to Denver 111-94 later on Sunday night.

While Utah has already clinched the Northwest Division and at least the fourth seed in the West, San Antonio is one game back of Southwest Division-leading New Orleans, which is second in the conference. The Spurs also have the same record as division rival Houston, but own the tiebreaker.

San Antonio can clinch at least third place in the West with a victory in this game coupled with a Rockets' loss in Utah on Monday.The Spurs were the third seed in the West last season en route to winning their fourth championship in nine years.

On Sunday, the Spurs were outscored 53-32 in the second half and were outrebounded 51-36 in the game. San Antonio has lost three of its last five games after winning its previous eight.

"We haven't played well in about three, four, five games now," Tim Duncan said. "We've just have got to find a way to make some shots."

Manu Ginobili, who leads the Spurs in scoring at 19.6 points, missed his second straight game Sunday because of a strained left groin. San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said he's counting on Ginobili being available when the playoffs begin, but he's not sure about the final two regular-season games.

"We're better off to be a lower seed with a healthy Manu than a higher seed without a healthy Manu,'' Popovich said.

"Come playoff time, we'll have as good a chance as anybody to do well,''

Tony Parker had 20 points, seven rebounds and five assists to lead San Antonio on Sunday, but was held to two points after halftime. Parker, who has scored 20 points in each of his last three games, is averaging 15.3 points and 6.0 assists in three games versus Sacramento this season.

The Spurs have won two of three over the Kings (38-42) this season, but lost 112-99 at Sacramento on Nov. 26, snapping a four-game winning streak at Arco Arena.

The Kings are coming off a 94-91 victory over New Orleans on Saturday, knocking the Hornets out of the top spot in the West.

With Sacramento's playoff hopes long gone, the Kings would love nothing more than to mess up San Antonio's playoff seeding, too.

"We're mucking it up," coach Reggie Theus said. "You can't do anything but smile about it. We haven't given up. Our effort was phenomenal."

With leading scorer Kevin Martin out Saturday with a right knee injury and Brad Miller missing his fifth straight game with leg and elbow injuries, Ron Artest picked up the scoring slack.

Artest returned after missing three of four games with a sprained right thumb and hit four clutch 3-pointers in the fourth quarter and finished with 22 points. He has 43 points and 13 rebounds in two games against the Spurs this season.

Martin, who is averaging 23.7 points, is listed as questionable for this game.

The Kings have won six of their last eight games, and eight of their last 10 at Arco Arena.

Is this correct??? It didn't seem like it....Go Spurs Go!!! Drive for 5ive!!! :elephant

duncan228
04-14-2008, 11:41 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080414.html

Probable Starters:

Parker
Guard
18.5 PPG
Finley
Guard
9.9 PPG
Bowen
Forward
6.0 PPG
Duncan
Forward
19.4 PPG
Oberto
Center
4.7 PPG

Injury/Inactive Report
Robert Horry (left knee contusion) and Brent Barry are out
Manu Ginobili (mild strain, left adductor) will not play

Spur in the Spotlight
Tony Parker
Tony is averaging 15.3 points and 6.0 assists in three games versus Sacramento this season.

Did You Know...

Tim Duncan has recorded four 20-20 games against Sacramento, more than any other opponent :smokin … Kings guard Beno Udrih was selected by San Antonio in the first round (28th pick) of the 2004 NBA draft … he played three seasons for the Spurs before being traded at the beginning of the 2007-08 season … Sacramento assistant Chuck Person holds the Spurs franchise-record for three-pointers made in a game …Person knocked down nine against Vancouver on 12/30/97 … Dale Ellis, at the time with the Spurs, became the first player in NBA history to make 1,000 three-point field goals when he connected from downtown with 7:41 left in the third quarter against the Kings on 3/19/94.

duncan228
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Is this correct??? It didn't seem like it....

The standings make me :dizzy

But it says it here too.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4144648

Spurs try to boost playoff status at Sacramento

(Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs continue to battle for playoff positioning, as they visit the Sacramento Kings tonight at ARCO Arena.

San Antonio is tied with the Rockets for second place in the Southwest Division, one game behind the division-leading New Orleans Hornets. The Spurs are the third seed in the West and can clinch at least that spot with a victory tonight and a Rockets' loss against the Utah Jazz this evening at EnergySolutions Arena.
The Spurs are 2-1 against the Kings this season and have won six of the last seven contests in the series. Sacramento has dropped four in a row and eight of its last nine games at San Antonio.

San Antonio attempts to bounce back from a 106-85 loss to Kobe Bryant and the Lakers on Sunday at the Staples Center. Tony Parker scored 20 points and pulled down seven rebounds for the Spurs, who have dropped three of their last five games after winning eight straight. Tim Duncan scored 16 points and grabbed 12 boards in defeat.

The Spurs, who are 21-19 on the road this season, will close out the regular season against the Jazz on Wednesday at the AT&T Center. They have lost two of their last three as the visitor.

Sacramento, which will not compete in the playoffs for the second straight year, has won two in a row and will wrap up a three-game homestand. The Kings are 26-14 as the host and will play their final game at ARCO Arena in the 2007-08 campaign.

Ron Artest finished with 22 points, eight rebounds, four assists and three steals as the Kings knocked off the New Orleans Hornets, 94-91, on Saturday at ARCO Arena.

John Salmons collected 18 points and 11 rebounds for the Kings, who held the Hornets to just 38.4 percent shooting from the floor. Sacramento will finish its season on Tuesday against the Lakers at the Staples Center.

Guard Kevin Martin (strained right knee) is questionable for the Kings. Martin, who leads Sacramento in scoring at 23.7 ppg, did not play against the Hornets.

Gino20
04-14-2008, 12:43 PM
The standings make me :dizzy

But it says it here too.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4144648

Spurs try to boost playoff status at Sacramento

(Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs continue to battle for playoff positioning, as they visit the Sacramento Kings tonight at ARCO Arena.

San Antonio is tied with the Rockets for second place in the Southwest Division, one game behind the division-leading New Orleans Hornets. The Spurs are the third seed in the West and can clinch at least that spot with a victory tonight and a Rockets' loss against the Utah Jazz this evening at EnergySolutions Arena.
The Spurs are 2-1 against the Kings this season and have won six of the last seven contests in the series. Sacramento has dropped four in a row and eight of its last nine games at San Antonio.

San Antonio attempts to bounce back from a 106-85 loss to Kobe Bryant and the Lakers on Sunday at the Staples Center. Tony Parker scored 20 points and pulled down seven rebounds for the Spurs, who have dropped three of their last five games after winning eight straight. Tim Duncan scored 16 points and grabbed 12 boards in defeat.

The Spurs, who are 21-19 on the road this season, will close out the regular season against the Jazz on Wednesday at the AT&T Center. They have lost two of their last three as the visitor.

Sacramento, which will not compete in the playoffs for the second straight year, has won two in a row and will wrap up a three-game homestand. The Kings are 26-14 as the host and will play their final game at ARCO Arena in the 2007-08 campaign.

Ron Artest finished with 22 points, eight rebounds, four assists and three steals as the Kings knocked off the New Orleans Hornets, 94-91, on Saturday at ARCO Arena.

John Salmons collected 18 points and 11 rebounds for the Kings, who held the Hornets to just 38.4 percent shooting from the floor. Sacramento will finish its season on Tuesday against the Lakers at the Staples Center.

Guard Kevin Martin (strained right knee) is questionable for the Kings. Martin, who leads Sacramento in scoring at 23.7 ppg, did not play against the Hornets.

I guess my logic might be incorrect. This is my logic:

ASSUMING (huge assumptions) the Spurs win tonight along with Utah against Houston, and PHX against the Warriors the records would be the following:

3rd seed: SA, 55-26
4th seed: Utah, 54-27
5th seed: PHX, 54-27
6th seed: HOU, 54-27

Now, Utah would get the 4th seed since they are a division winner, and Phx owns the tiebreaker against Houston when it comes to division record I believe. However, since Utah and SA play the final game of the regular season that can have huge implications. If Utah wins, they have the same record as SA, but own the tiebreaker. If correct, they would get the third seed. Or, am I missing something??? PHX still has a shot as well I believe...can someone help me out here? Thanks!

Gino20
04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I guess my logic might be incorrect. This is my logic:

ASSUMING (huge assumptions) the Spurs win tonight along with Utah against Houston, and PHX against the Warriors the records would be the following:

3rd seed: SA, 55-26
4th seed: Utah, 54-27
5th seed: PHX, 54-27
6th seed: HOU, 54-27

Now, Utah would get the 4th seed since they are a division winner, and Phx owns the tiebreaker against Houston when it comes to division record I believe. However, since Utah and SA play the final game of the regular season that can have huge implications. If Utah wins, they have the same record as SA, but own the tiebreaker. If correct, they would get the third seed. Or, am I missing something??? PHX still has a shot as well I believe...can someone help me out here? Thanks!

Nevermind, Houston owns the tiebreaker against PHX...I don't know what I was thinking...

ludda
04-14-2008, 12:58 PM
A Martin-less Kings also beat the Hornets...they like to play spoiler.

duncan228
04-14-2008, 12:59 PM
...I don't know what I was thinking...

The West is doing that to everybody. :dizzy

boutons_
04-14-2008, 01:01 PM
"The West is doing that to everybody"

yep, it's freaking crazy. 60 bewildering hours to go! :lol

1Parker1
04-14-2008, 01:12 PM

:lol That's actually a really great attitude for non-playoff teams in the West to have.