PDA

View Full Version : Moving Question

midgetonadonkey
04-14-2008, 11:41 AM
I want to be out of my current place on June 1st. I don't have to be but I hate the fucking house I live in and am in search for a 2 bedroom townhome with a small backyard for my dog. How soon is too soon to start looking and what is the best way to go abouts finding a place like this? Also, do realtors charge to help look for places to rent?

mrsmaalox
04-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I assume your lease expires the end of May? I thinkyou should start looking now, let your landlord know you do not plan to re-lease. I think a property management company charges the owner, not the renter for finding a place.

midgetonadonkey
04-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm currently not on a lease so I can pretty much leave whenever. I'm just sick of the place and want to leave ASAP.

BacktoBasics
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I assume your lease expires the end of May? I thinkyou should start looking now, let your landlord know you do not plan to re-lease. I think a property management company charges the owner, not the renter for finding a place.
I agree on all this. A lot of times if you let your landlord know you're moving they may have someone already lined up to take your place. If thats the case and you happen to find something sooner than later you may be able to get out early.

BacktoBasics
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm currently not on a lease so I can pretty much leave whenever. I'm just sick of the place and want to leave ASAP.if thats the case quit fucking around and go find something.

Evan
04-14-2008, 12:25 PM
if thats the case quit fucking around and go find something.

Are you sending him a bill for that?

midgetonadonkey
04-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Are you sending him a bill for that?

I get free life coaching from B2B for understanding his point of view in the thread about the doctor getting shot.

BacktoBasics
04-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I get free life coaching from B2B for understanding his point of view in the thread about the doctor getting shot.Exactly

mrsmaalox
04-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Exactly
Excuse me?! I gave the first advice and you agreed with me!! What's my cut? :)

TheSuckUp
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I get free life coaching from B2B for understanding his point of view in the thread about the doctor getting shot.

Good move.

Dex
04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
CostCo and Sam's Clubs are usually great sources for oversized boxes.

You can line a few of them up, cut out conjoining doorways, and have yourself a nice little Hobo Manor.

BacktoBasics
04-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Excuse me?! I gave the first advice and you agreed with me!! What's my cut? :)Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have and I'll lend you my .02 free of charge.

midgetonadonkey
04-14-2008, 01:24 PM

You can line a few of them, up cut out conjoining doorways, and have yourself a nice little Hobo Manor.

That would be great for me. Personally, I don't give a shit where I live but I'm trying to find a nice place that my girlfriend will really like.

CuckingFunt
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I want to be out of my current place on June 1st. I don't have to be but I hate the fucking house I live in and am in search for a 2 bedroom townhome with a small backyard for my dog. How soon is too soon to start looking and what is the best way to go abouts finding a place like this? Also, do realtors charge to help look for places to rent?Start looking now. Property Managers/Realtors don't usually want to be bothered with helping you find a place and, if you're even able to find someone who will agree to do it, they won't put a lot of energy into the search. Here in California you can sometimes find agencies that specifically offer that as a service, but it's a ripoff. I'd say just start searching on your own -- check newspapers, craigslist (I hate it, personally, but know people who have found it useful), and property management companies.

I'm currently not on a lease so I can pretty much leave whenever. I'm just sick of the place and want to leave ASAP.
Still give a 30-Day Notice, though. Here in California, failure to provide a written notice can result in a complete forfeiture of your deposit without even addressing issues of cleaning, damages, or back rent/fees, and is often difficult to fight -- without provided proper notice, you're taking away the landlord's possibility of lining up another tenant right away. I don't know if that's the case in Texas, obviously, but it's still a good thing to do especially since you'll more than likely be relying on your current landlord for a tenant reference. When I was in property management, we couldn't specifically deny someone just because they didn't provide a 30-Day Notice to a previous landlord, but it was damn sure taken into consideration -- having a tenant up and leave is a pain in the ass, and people are going to avoid that possibility whenever they can. Unfortunately, a lot of tenants don't realize that it's ALWAYS in their best interest to keep things amicable when vacating.

Summers
04-14-2008, 01:31 PM
You can also try apartment locators to find a place. It's free for you (they charge the complex a fee). But really the best way to find a place is to look in the classifieds under rentals, especially if you're on a budget. Locators earn commission based on the rent you'll be paying, so they have no incentive to show you anything in the low end of your price range. Get the paper and find all the ads that sound good then start making phone calls. That's my advice.

peewee's lovechild
04-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have and I'll lend you my .02 free of charge.

I never got a voucher for free services.

Something is amiss here.

ploto
04-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Drive around in areas in which you are interested.

midgetonadonkey
04-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Start looking now. Property Managers/Realtors don't usually want to be bothered with helping you find a place and, if you're even able to find someone who will agree to do it, they won't put a lot of energy into the search. Here in California you can sometimes find agencies that specifically offer that as a service, but it's a ripoff. I'd say just start searching on your own -- check newspapers, craigslist (I hate it, personally, but know people who have found it useful), and property management companies.

Still give a 30-Day Notice, though. Here in California, failure to provide a written notice can result in a complete forfeiture of your deposit without even addressing issues of cleaning, damages, or back rent/fees, and is often difficult to fight -- without provided proper notice, you're taking away the landlord's possibility of lining up another tenant right away. I don't know if that's the case in Texas, obviously, but it's still a good thing to do especially since you'll more than likely be relying on your current landlord for a tenant reference. When I was in property management, we couldn't specifically deny someone just because they didn't provide a 30-Day Notice to a previous landlord, but it was damn sure taken into consideration -- having a tenant up and leave is a pain in the ass, and people are going to avoid that possibility whenever they can. Unfortunately, a lot of tenants don't realize that it's ALWAYS in their best interest to keep things amicable when vacating.

I do plan on giving 30 day notice. I like my landlords, they have been helpful and try their best to do what I need. The reason I'm not on a lease is because they forgot to mail me a new one when I reminded them to do so last August. I wouldn't want to put them out any.

CuckingFunt
04-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I do plan on giving 30 day notice. I like my landlords, they have been helpful and try their best to do what I need. The reason I'm not on a lease is because they forgot to mail me a new one when I reminded them to do so last August. I wouldn't want to put them out any.As a former property manager, that's good to hear. I always give that spiel as a default, though, because I've known so many people (friends and former tenants) who just don't think it's important and end up screwed because of it.

mrsmaalox
04-14-2008, 02:06 PM
As a former property manager, that's good to hear. I always give that spiel as a default, though, because I've known so many people (friends and former tenants) who just don't think it's important and end up screwed because of it.

Property management companies have always been the way to go for me. With the frequent military moves and all, I have found that they will work their butts off for you if you are reasonable with them. The only problems I ever had with landlords were private individuals. As a homeowner right now, there are times when I miss renting from a good company---one call and any problem solved!

remingtonbo2001
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Google.

RashoFan
04-14-2008, 11:53 PM
I found my apts on Rent.com

RashoFan
04-14-2008, 11:54 PM

You can line a few of them up, cut out conjoining doorways, and have yourself a nice little Hobo Manor.
:lmao

marini martini
04-15-2008, 12:01 AM
You need a move? Try some smooth move tea.