PDA

View Full Version : Melo arrested for DUI

2Cleva
04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Anthony arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence
ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 14, 2008, 2:35 PM ET

Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony was arrested early Monday morning on suspicion of driving under the influence, Denver police said.

Anthony was driving south on Interstate 25 at around 4 a.m. when he was pulled over and taken into custody. Denver police said he was driving a silver Mercedes and was stopped for failing to drive in a single lane and failing to dim lights. Several Denver media outlets reported that he was given a Breathalyzer test.

"We are aware of the situation with Carmelo Anthony," the Nuggets said in a statement, adding that they are gathering information and have no further comment.

Anthony's lawyer confirmed that the forward was released on bond later Monday morning and a summons appearance was scheduled for May 14.

"He cooperated by consenting to a blood test, the results of which will not be available for approximately two weeks," attorney Dan Recht said. "There was no accident and no one was hurt."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3346621

Findog
04-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I await the column on freedarko about how Melo is just misunderstood.

Xylus
04-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Just in time for the playoffs.

san antonio spurs
04-14-2008, 01:59 PM
How do DUI charges work in the US? What's at stake here? and how will the league get involved?

balli
04-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Of course.

Findog
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Melo really has this leadership thing down pat

balli
04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
How do DUI charges work in the US? What's at stake here? and how will the league get involved?

He'll get probabtion. Maybe lose his license for a few months. Hefty fine (well... for average wage earners). My guess is that the league leaves him be. Anyone know if they've ever suspended a player before for a DUI?

balli
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I love how his lawyer went to the trouble to point out there was no accident and nobody was hurt. As if it then becomes excusable. Easily there could have been an accident and easily someone could have been hurt, even dead. Fuck Carmelo. One of the most selfish things a person can do.

edit: grammer

Xylus
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
How is driving under the influence a selfish act? DUI is a very common crime, usually committed by people who aren't thinking 100% clearly due to the very same influence they're driving under. I'm no Carmelo fan, but it's not like he got arrested for beating his wife or anything.

Findog
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah, and it's amazing how those fucksticks over at freedarko can slob all over him, J.R. Smith and Amare while never giving any love to Duncan or Dirk.

Xylus
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah, and it's amazing how those fucksticks over at freedarko can slob all over him, J.R. Smith and Amare while never giving any love to Duncan or Dirk.
WTF? Amare is no thug...

Findog
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
How is driving under the influence a selfish act? DUI is a very common crime, usually committed by people who aren't thinking 100% clearly due to the very same influence they're driving under. I'm no Carmelo fan, but it's not like he got arrested for beating his wife or anything.

You're kidding, right? C'mon Xylus, you're not obtuse.

balli
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM

Kay, after someone get's drunk, drives, and then kills one of your family members, we'll see how selfish you thought it was.

Findog
04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
WTF? Amare is no thug...

His ego is bigger than his game. I guess I shouldn't have grouped him in with Jr and Melo since we're on the topic of off the court fuckheadedness.

Xylus
04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
DUI is a very stupid thing to do, but it's not an intentionally violent act and so I don't think it adds to Carmelo's "thug" reputation.

Findog
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
DUI is a very stupid thing to do, but it's not an intentionally violent act and so I don't think it adds to Carmelo's "thug" reputation.

It adds to his rep as a fuckstick.

Xylus
In two weeks time, no one will even remember that Melo got arrested for DUI.

stretch
lol, needs another edit

balli
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM

It's not intentional? Dude I'd kick your fucking ass if I could. Fuck you. Seriously, you fucking cunt. FUCK YOU!

Findog
Much as I hate Wade, he's a much better choice for building your franchise around that Melo.

Xylus
It's not intentional? Dude I'd kick your fucking ass if I could. Fuck you. Seriously, you fucking cunt. FUCK YOU!
Okay.

Findog
04-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Don't count on it.

san antonio spurs
04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
He'll get probabtion. Maybe lose his license for a few months. Hefty fine (well... for average wage earners). My guess is that the league leaves him be. Anyone know if they've ever suspended a player before for a DUI?
Thanks (it's the same here in canada except when you have an accident with DUI, then you get a criminal record).
If the league doesn't get involved it's just bad publicity and won't affect their playoff race.
But we have to know what the league might do for sure.

2Cleva
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Dr Buss was fined and suspended for 2 games for drunken driving early this seaosn.

Ex-Kings coach Eric Musselman got the same treatment for last season.

I can't think of any players caught for DUI recently.

Xylus
Carmelo was driving around, probably a little tipsy, looking for someone to hit with his car. Thank god the police got there in time.

whottt
Carmelo is just repping Oak Hill Academy. I'd have expected no less of him :tu

san antonio spurs
04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Dr Buss was fined and suspended for 2 games for drunken driving early this seaosn.

Ex-Kings coach Eric Musselman got the same treatment for last season.

I can't think of any players caught for DUI recently.
then carmello might have cost his team a playoff spot.

Findog
04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Melo is just having too much to drink and steering his car erratically like he's supposed to drive. No surprises there.

2Cleva
04-14-2008, 02:20 PM
then carmello might have cost his team a playoff spot.

Suspensions didn't go into effect immediately. I read they expect 2 weeks for the result of his BAC test and then Stern traditionally waits until after a legal ruling comes down before putting a league penalty into effect.

Highy unlikely for Melo to be suspended this season for his actions, assuming he's found guilty.

That said - it will be a dark cloud hanging over him and the team because no way reporters will stop chasing the story.

CubanMustGo
04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Carmelo was driving around, probably a little tipsy, looking for someone to hit with his car. Thank god the police got there in time.

I respect the great majority of your posts, but your outstanding cluelessness about DUI defies belief.

Nobody who drinks and drives intends to cause accidents and kill people ... they just end up doing an awful lot of it. Given that there is a known, proven relationship between DUI and causing injuries to other innocent drivers, choosing to drink and drive, and saying to hell with the consequences, IS a selfish act.

Trainwreck2100
04-14-2008, 02:25 PM
WTF? Amare is no thug...

I agree with this, Amare's as big a thug as Michael Vick is.

Xylus
04-14-2008, 02:25 PM
I respect the great majority of your posts, but your outstanding cluelessness about DUI defies belief.

Nobody who drinks and drives intends to cause accidents and kill people ... they just end up doing an awful lot of it. Given that there is a known, proven relationship between DUI and causing injuries to other innocent drivers, choosing to drink and drive, and saying to hell with the consequences, IS a selfish act.
That was entirely my point, and I wasn't trying to say that it wasn't a terribly dumb thing to do. But I'm not here to burn anyone at the stake for a crime as common as driving under the influence, especially since he hasn't been proven guilty, didn't hurt anyone, and probably won't receive much more than a fine, anyway.

If driving under the influence is a selfish act, then so, too, is texting while driving, an act that's equally (if not more) dangerous than driving slightly intoxicated.

I differentiate between acts of vicious intent, and acts of stupidity. This crime does not fall under the former.

balli
04-14-2008, 02:33 PM
That was entirely my point, and I wasn't trying to say that it wasn't a terribly dumb thing to do. But I'm not here to burn anyone at the stake for a crime as common as driving under the influence, especially since he hasn't been proven guilty, didn't hurt anyone, and probably won't receive much more than a fine, anyway.

If driving under the influence is a selfish act, then so, too, is texting while driving, an act that's equally (if not more) dangerous than driving slightly intoxicated.

I differentiate between acts of vicious intent, and acts of stupidity. This crime does not fall under the former.

Okay xylus two years ago an uncle who I very, very tight with got killed by a drunk driver. Just parked at a red light minding his own business and some drunk asshole ran into him at 60 mph. The guy who hit him lived. I'm sure the guy didn't intend to cause an accident or hurt anyone. He was just trying to have a good time. Maybe they just should have let him off the hook? I mean he was drunk when he did it right? Therefore, he wasn't in a postion to make good judgments about driving right? Well I guess he just shouldn't have been held responsible, right?

Give me a fucking break. You make me sick. Fuck intent and fuck you.

Xylus
04-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Okay xylus two years ago an uncle who I very, very tight with got killed by a drunk driver. Just parked at a red light minding his own business and some drunk asshole ran into him at 60 mph. The guy who hit him lived. I'm sure the guy didn't intend to cause an accident or hurt anyone. He was just trying to have a good time. Maybe they just should have let him off the hook? I mean he was drunk when he did it right? Therefore, he wasn't in a postion to make good judgments about driving right? Well I guess he just shouldn't have been held responsible, right?

That's too bad about your uncle, but what does any of this have to do with Melo? You don't charge someone with murder when they punch you in the face, you don't accuse someone of rape when they sexually harass you, and you don't blame a guy for hurting other people, when he didn't hurt anyone.

I never said they should let him off the hook. If he was really, really drunk, he deserves the punishment... heavy fine, jailtime, whatever the law says he deserves. But this instance to me seems extremely minor in the scheme of things, and will be forgotten about in literally no time at all.

Edit2: Unless he gets sent to jail, which I predict won't happen.

2Cleva
04-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Edit: Unless he gets arrested, which I predict won't happen.

He already got arrested. You did read the thread title didn't you?

Xylus
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
He already got arrested. You did read the thread title didn't you?
I meant sent to jail.

timvp
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
_Melo was looking for a hit and run.

Findog
04-14-2008, 03:00 PM

I hear he hit another car and then put it in reverse real fast.

rAm
04-14-2008, 03:01 PM

lol, nice

hater
04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
stupid rich idiots!

why would you drink and drive when you have money to rent a limo every time

lefty
04-14-2008, 03:32 PM

In 2 weeks, nobody will remember Melo.

Cry Havoc
04-14-2008, 03:40 PM

Rape is a pretty common crime. Does that mean it's any less potentially damaging? Come to think of it, murder is a pretty common occurence.

Agreed, but since you're so quick to point out that other people are bringing up off-topic stuff, what does texting while driving have to do with Melo? It has no affect on the fact that DUI is a very serious thing which frequently results in severe injury and death.

Stupidity can kill just as many people as maliciousness. Why do you excuse stupidity? You think it's relatively okay for someone who's drunk AND stupid to be behind the wheel? The commonality of a crime has no bearing on the capacity for that crime to cause extreme grief to other individuals. Drug dealing is a very frequent occurrence, does that mean you wouldn't hunt me down if you caught me dealing to your little son/daughter-niece/nephew-brother/sister?

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
What a dumbass. I doubt the Nuggets would bench him in the middle of a hunt for a playoffs spot, but I'm sure they are chewing his ass out as they speak. There's never a good time for your superstar to get arrested, but during the stretch run is that much worse.

And Xylus, I think you'll be surprised at the kind of legs this story could have. Not only is Melo a superstar at the core of the many ongoing story lines in the WC playoff picture, but he's got a steadily growing track record for this stuff. There will be articles calling him out as a leader for doing this. There will the usual "will someone please think of the children and the example we're setting" stuff. And ESPN will trot the Stop Snitchin' stuff, and the weed at the airport, and the MSG fight every time there's a development. They'll do it tonight. And then tomorrow when he holds a press conference to say he's very sorry. And then they'll rehash is all over again when he has his hearing, or pleas out or whatever.

And if the Nuggets miss the playoffs we'll hear about it all over again at the year's end too.

Jack Sommersset
04-14-2008, 03:52 PM

You're right. When you drink and drive you are looking for a kill. Everyone knows that.

GuerillaBlack
04-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I guess 'Boozer', better be very careful tonight... Take a cab..

remingtonbo2001
04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, how do you get a DUI when you're over 21, and the intoxication comes from alcohol?

I've gotten a DUI when I was 18. I was under the influence and under the age of 21. However, I was not intoxicated. I had 2 beers and left my friend's house 1-2 hours afterward. It's a misdeminor offense.

A DWI is driving while intoxicated, or at least in Texas. It's a felony.

Unfortunately, being completely ignorant, I was honest and told the officer I had a couple of beers. They gave me a sobriety test and I passed. Unfortunately, even though I wasn't intoxicated or buzzed in the least bit, I was arrested. It's law. You live and learn.

The Drunk Tank SUCKS...Especially when you're sober.

ElNono
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM

It's a stupid thing to do. And it's completely intentional. You had various choices when the night started:

1) Don't drink and drive.
2) Drink moderately, and don't go over the limit.
3) Drink as much as you want but have a designated driver to take you home.

And it's twice as retarded when it happens to people in the spotlight like Carmelo.

Cry Havoc
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Okay, how do you get a DUI when you're over 21, and the intoxication comes from alcohol?

It's driving under the influence, which is the term usually used. Some states use different terminology, is all.

Stabbin' Cabin
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM

That sounds a lot like what happened to two of my aunts, one died and the other has been severely brain damaged for about 15 years and can't speak/eat/move.

Playing down DUIs because they're "common" is fucking retarded. Nobody called Melo a murderer, just another young asshole that needs to grow the fuck up and get his head straight.

crc21209
04-14-2008, 04:42 PM
lol can you imagine if the team suspended him then they lost their last game and the Warriors won their last 2 games. lol.

Jack Sommersset
04-14-2008, 04:50 PM
He is not going to get suspended. DUI is like a "common" cold. When you get 2 or 3 is when society says " You gots problems" and then they do something about it. 1 DUI is nothing. Please don't tell me any horror storys about a one time drunk driver that took out a bus full of handi cap children on there way to church camp. YAWN

Cry Havoc
04-14-2008, 05:03 PM
He is not going to get suspended. DUI is like a "common" cold. When you get 2 or 3 is when society says " You gots problems" and then they do something about it. 1 DUI is nothing. Please don't tell me any horror storys about a one time drunk driver that took out a bus full of handi cap children on there way to church camp. YAWN

Show some respect. Would you be yawning if it was your son or daughter? I mean, 1 DUI is nothing, right? So you wouldn't mind if I got smashed and waved a gun around inside your house? It's basically the same thing. The fact that almost EVERYONE knows someone who has been killed by a drunken driver makes me nearly want to cause you physical harm for such a retort.

Except that you aren't worth it.

balli
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Seriously. Well said Havoc.

And Jack- if you don't think 1 DUI is something, fine. Think it. Like Havoc said expressing it just rubs salt in the wounds of people who have actually had to deal with death resulting from "1 DUI"

Think whatever you want, but as long as you have such shitty thoughts, do the rest of us a favor and keep your fucking mouth shut.

atxrocker
04-14-2008, 05:54 PM
It's a felony.

actually it's a class A misdemeanor unless you're a repeat offender. i think on the third DWI is bumped to a felony.

word
04-14-2008, 06:01 PM
I love how his lawyer went to the trouble to point out there was no accident and nobody was hurt. As if it then becomes excusable. Easily there could have been an accident and easily someone could have been hurt, even dead. Fuck Carmelo. One of the most selfish things a person can do.

easily ?

edit: lol at editing 'grammer'

remingtonbo2001
04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
It's driving under the influence, which is the term usually used. Some states use different terminology, is all.

That's what I assumed.

Thanks for the clarification.

word
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Show some respect. Would you be yawning if it was your son or daughter? I mean, 1 DUI is nothing, right? So you wouldn't mind if I got smashed and waved a gun around inside your house? It's basically the same thing. The fact that almost EVERYONE knows someone who has been killed by a drunken driver makes me nearly want to cause you physical harm for such a retort.

Except that you aren't worth it.

LOL !! I know several people killed by a drunk driver and the drunk driver was THEM. 'Only' about 2800 of drunk driving deaths involve a drunk driver killing another sober driver/pedistrian. They even include a sober person killing a drunk pedestrian in their 'drunk driving death' statistics. But the OVERWHELMING majority kill themselves and/or their passengers. Fact.

And to say it's the equivalent of someone coming into your home and waiving a gun around is preposterous. That would get you about 10 years if not more.

manufor3
04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo burn

Obstructed_View
04-14-2008, 06:18 PM
And dumbfucks like the above are the reason DUI is so common and the penalties aren't stiffer.

Jack Sommersset
04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Think whatever you want, but as long as you have such shitty thoughts, do the rest of us a favor and keep your fucking mouth shut.[/QUOTE]

Quit whinning. Thats why we have laws. 1 dui , talking about Melo, is not a big deal, especially seeing he did not hurt anyone. You are acting like chicken little. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Everyone makes mistakes.Hopefully those who do learn from it and lets all pray when someone makes a mistake noone gets hurt. Go have a beer and don't drive.

Obstructed_View
04-14-2008, 06:22 PM
'Only' about 2800 of drunk driving deaths involve a drunk driver killing another sober driver/pedistrian.
Wow, that's not even as many people as died on September 11. What are we worried about? And only about 17,000 die every year due to drinking and driving. There's not a problem. :rolleyes

ajh18
04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Facts are good. Here's some more:

In 2006, an estimated 17,602 people died in alcohol-related traffic crashes—an average of one every 30 minutes. These deaths constitute 41 percent of the 42,642 total traffic fatalities.

In 2006, there were 13,470 fatalities in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver (BAC of .08 or higher) – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.

In 2006, 1,794 children age 14 and younger were killed in motor vehicle crashes. Of those 1,794 fatalities, 306 (17%) occurred in alcohol-impaired driving crashes. Children riding in vehicles with drivers who had a BAC level of .08 or higher accounted for half (153) of these deaths.

Alcohol-related crashes in the United States cost the public an estimated $114.3 billion in 2000, including $51.1 billion in monetary costs and an estimated $63.2 billion in quality of life losses. People other than the drinking driver paid $71.6 billion of the alcohol-related crash bill, which is 63 percent of the total cost of these crashes.

Still think Driving under the influence isnt a problem?
http://www.madd.org/Drunk-Driving/Drunk-Driving/Statistics/AllStats.aspx
http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html

word
04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Facts are good. Here's some more:

In 2006, an estimated 17,602 people died in alcohol-related traffic crashes—an average of one every 30 minutes. These deaths constitute 41 percent of the 42,642 total traffic fatalities.

In 2006, there were 13,470 fatalities in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver (BAC of .08 or higher) – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.

In 2006, 1,794 children age 14 and younger were killed in motor vehicle crashes. Of those 1,794 fatalities, 306 (17%) occurred in alcohol-impaired driving crashes. Children riding in vehicles with drivers who had a BAC level of .08 or higher accounted for half (153) of these deaths.

Alcohol-related crashes in the United States cost the public an estimated $114.3 billion in 2000, including $51.1 billion in monetary costs and an estimated $63.2 billion in quality of life losses. People other than the drinking driver paid $71.6 billion of the alcohol-related crash bill, which is 63 percent of the total cost of these crashes.

Still think Driving under the influence isnt a problem?
http://www.madd.org/Drunk-Driving/Drunk-Driving/Statistics/AllStats.aspx
http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html

Here's one for the drunks:

Of the 17,448 fatalities, 2,555 occurred in crashes where alcohol was detected but no one was over the legal limit. . That leaves 14,893 deaths that can actually be attributed to alcohol.

- Of these, 1,770 were intoxicated pedestrians and cyclists who walked out in front of the vehicles of sober drivers. They had nothing to do with drunk driving. That leaves 13,123 deaths that can be attributed to intoxicated drivers.

- OF these, a staggering 8,308 were intoxicated drivers who killed themselves in crashes and no one else.

- That leaves 4,815 deaths in which intoxicated drivers killed someone other than themselves.

- Of those remaining 4,815 deaths it cannot be determined whether alcohol was the primary cause. They could be talking on their cell phone, ( which attributes to an extimated 2600 deaths a year on the highway ). Tired or sleep deprived drivers account for 1500 deaths annually. ( those that fell asleep at the wheel or possibly suicide. No one knows why someone runs off the road for no reason. ).

This doesn't even take age into account. All I know is when I was a teenager I had a 1968 roadrunner and drove it as fast as it would go, drunk or sober, everywhere I went. Thank god I survived and didn't kill anyone.

I could drive Indy at .08.

mavsfan1000
04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
It's always good to get drunk before the playoffs. Great preparation there Carmelo. :rolleyes

word
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I suspect some of us may be getting smashed in a few weaks.

I wonder how many DWI's would result out of some of those spurstalk GTG's ? More than one is my guess.

word
04-14-2008, 06:39 PM
More for the drunks:

GO dRuNkZ pe0pLz...

MADD’s founder, says she disassociated herself from the movement in 1985 because she believed the organization was headed in the wrong direction. ‘It has become far more neo-prohibitionist than I had ever wanted or envisioned,’ said Mrs. Lightner, who founded MADD after her daughter was killed by a drunk driver. ‘I didn’t start MADD to deal with alcohol. I started MADD to deal with the issue of drunk driving."

“‘I thought the emphasis on .08 laws was not where the emphasis should have been placed. The majority of crashes occur with high blood-alcohol levels, the .15, .18 and .25 drinkers. Lowering the blood-alcohol concentration was not a solution to the alcohol problem."

— Los Angeles Times, December 2002

Hillary having a shot:
http://ktracy.com/wp-content/gallery/hillarydrunk/clintonshot1.jpg

http://ktracy.com/wp-content/gallery/hillarydrunk/clintonno.jpg

WHOOOT !! Go Melo Go Melo Go Mel....errr Hillary...

BonnerDynasty
04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Just being the PUNK he is suppose to be. Nothing new.

Matchman
04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I suspect some of us may be getting smashed in a few weaks.

I wonder how many DWI's would result out of some of those spurstalk GTG's ? More than one is my guess.

i hope one of them who will get smash by a truck is you, then u cant say such a horrible thing. care to show some respect?

word
04-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Didn't Damien Stoudemire just have a DWI charge dropped ?

I find the self rightousness here distasteful. But that's human nature. Nail someone to the cross if you don't like him, look the other way if it's your homeboy. Bring out the 'struck by lightening' stats and make the emotional appeals. Compare it to attempted murder...yadda yadda.

There is nothing Carmello Anthony has done yet or that we're aware of to indicate he's a thug. He's just a young dude with a lot of money making the mistakes young dudes make...and older dudes make but less.

I refuse to nail the man to the cross over something I've done countless times resulting in not a single accident or ticket much less for driving drunk in my 40 years of driving.

Get off his nuts.

This is the problem with this damn country. Everyone wants blood for everyone except THEM or someone they like or know.

Fuck that.

ElNono
04-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I think he's a thug wannabe... as illustrated in the sucker punching episode in NY last year...

The Nba Is Rigged
04-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Kay, after someone get's drunk, drives, and then kills one of your family members, we'll see how selfish you thought it was.

:toast

ajh18
04-14-2008, 07:34 PM
- That leaves 4,815 deaths in which intoxicated drivers killed someone other than themselves.

Sorry, but in my mind that is WAY too many completely innocent people to die in one year, when all you have to do is pick up a phone and call a cab if you think you may have had too much.

Furthermore, these acts affect these people's families, and many other people. Not to mention that the $51.1 billion in monetary costs alone totals more than the endowment of the wealthiest university in the country.

This doesn't even take age into account. All I know is when I was a teenager I had a 1968 roadrunner and drove it as fast as it would go, drunk or sober, everywhere I went. Thank god I survived and didn't kill anyone.

I could drive Indy at .08.

The fact that you, or anyone else, was irresponsible as a teenager doesn't make that behavior ok. In fact, it's a ridiculous premise that stupidity validates additional stupidity. As I said before, getting a designed driver or a cab, especially when you're a multimillionairre like melo, hardly seems like a heavy price to pay.

word
04-14-2008, 07:37 PM
i hope one of them who will get smash by a truck is you, then u cant say such a horrible thing. care to show some respect?

In 1990 my two year old son died from encephalitis. We had taken him out trick or treating the night before and he was bitten by a mosquito. The next morning, when we went to wake him up, he was dead. It ultimately caused my wife and I to divorce and it took me many years to get over. I had no one to blame. All I could do was shake my fist at the sky, which I did for many years. And I still do. Just not as much or with the same verocity and anger I had.

I put all the photos away but keep one on my desk, that I can see right now. And I can now look at it and think of the good memories with him without cursing god and wonder why 'this piece of shit' or 'that piece of shit' is alive, and my son is dead.

I could run you through a whole range of head trips. So before you go judging me, remember that bad things happen and people get burned in the 'lottery of life'. I don't need to be schooled by some halfwit about the pain of losing a child. The most bizarre odds that god can lay on a person came to my doorstep. What do I do ? Go on some crazy anti-insect crusade ?
God took my child. He takes everyone. When it's up, it's up.

If you think I'm poo-pooing away deaths from accidents you're wrong. I am saying their solution to drunk driving has been less than just or reasonable and that there is a lot of hysteria about it.

The Nba Is Rigged
04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Carmelo Anthony sucks, I lost respect for him after he sucker punched Mardy collins and then he ran like a bitch when Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries were about to rightfully whoop his ass. That guy is the definition of a pussy, the fact that he could have killed people while he was drunk pisses me off even more. Fuck Basketball this is real life you can't do that shit. If he wants to enjoy a drink then go ahead but if your gunna get drunk then have someone drive you home. Simple as that. Carmelo fails again...

cash459
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Carmelo Anthony sucks, I lost respect for him after he sucker punched Mardy collins and then he ran like a bitch when Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries were about to rightfully whoop his ass. That guy is the definition of a pussy, the fact that he could have killed people while he was drunk pisses me off even more. Fuck Basketball this is real life you can't do that shit. If he wants to enjoy a drink then go ahead but if your gunna get drunk then have someone drive you home. Simple as that. Carmelo fails again...

:toast :clap :toast :clap

duncan228
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
In 1990 my two year old son died from encephalitis.

I'm sorry word. My brother lost a child, I've witnessed the grief. It's not something you get over. I can't imagine how hard it is to live with it. My thoughts are with you.

cash459
04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
In 1990 my two year old son died from encephalitis. We had taken him out trick or treating the night before and he was bitten by a mosquito. The next morning, when we went to wake him up, he was dead. It ultimately caused my wife and I to divorce and it took me many years to get over. I had no one to blame. All I could do was shake my fist at the sky, which I did for many years. And I still do. Just not as much or with the same verocity and anger I had.

I put all the photos away but keep one on my desk, that I can see right now. And I can now look at it and think of the good memories with him without cursing god and wonder why 'this piece of shit' or 'that piece of shit' is alive, and my son is dead.

I could run you through a whole range of head trips. So before you go judging me, remember that bad things happen and people get burned in the 'lottery of life'. I don't need to be schooled by some halfwit about the pain of losing a child. The most bizarre odds that god can lay on a person came to my doorstep. What do I do ? Go on some crazy anti-insect crusade ?
God took my child. He takes everyone. When it's up, it's up.

If you think I'm poo-pooing away deaths from accidents you're wrong. I am saying their solution to drunk driving has been less than just or reasonable and that there is a lot of hysteria about it.

so youre comparing a mosquito bite to melo CHOOSING to drink & then drive? :wtf

The Nba Is Rigged
04-14-2008, 08:07 PM
:toast :clap :toast :clap

:king

word
04-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Life has odds. Life has bad breaks. Punishing people excessively for what 'might have happened' or 'could have done' is not only not the way to go, but is anti-american if you shake your head and give it a thought.

I've read here about what he 'might have done' and 'waiving loaded guns' and such. Let's just stick with what he did do. He didn't kill anyone, he didn't maime anyone, he didn't even dent someones car much less his own.

People make mistakes. Comparing a dui to some other willful 'crime' like murder or assault is horrendously stupid and deserves to be laughed at and squashed in public discussion.

Further, I find this new 'nanny state' mentality disgusting and dangerous. I was able, after my sons death, to have other children, and it was the hardest thing I ever did and I lived in fear but ultimately I knew life is risk and a lot of faith is required to carry on in this world.

Call me crazy call me anyting you like. One of the basic tenants of my life is forgiveness and keeping things in perspective as best I can. My second wife worried to NO END about kidnapping. Any time our children were out playing in the yard or whatever...she just constantly would wring her hands, worried about them being snatched away and I always preached to her about 'odds' and life being the risk that it is. And the reality is, it's not that much risk. Not here. Not in the US or the west but people act like we're living in some war torn state with people starving and too weak to bat a fly from their face.

It saddens me what has happened to this country. When did we start living in all this FEAR and retribution. I don't get it. I honestly don't.

TampaDude
04-14-2008, 09:02 PM

Dude...are you fucking kidding me??? DUI is a very serious offense nowadays...not that Melo will suffer much...he'll pay his fine, which will be chump change, and just have a limo drive him around...no worries...

word
04-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Melo = Jason Williams

*cough*

A long ass list could be put together on athletes who went 'off the reservation'. Mello ain't there YET. Like most people, you learn as you go brother, you learn as you go. I shivver at the thought of me at his age with that kind of money. Jesus...thank you lord !!

Budkin
04-14-2008, 09:10 PM
:lmao Couldn't happen to a nicer Thug!

balli
04-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Mello = Jason Williams

*cough*

A long ass list could be put together on athletes who went 'off the reservation'. Mello ain't there YET. Like most people, you learn as you go brother, you learn as you go. I shivver at the thought of me at his age with that kind of money. Jesus...thank you lord !!

I fucking hate you already and I'm not going to argue with you about the morality of DUI's. But I will say this- Melo isn't speld wif too L's.

word
04-14-2008, 09:15 PM
'The morality of DUIs'

:blah

Go live some life, kiddo, after you get out of your black and white world then get back to me in 20, if I'm still here.

balli
04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
'The morality of DUIs'

:blah

Go live some life, kiddo, after you get out of your black and white world then get back to me in 20, if I'm still here.

Hopefully some drunk driver will have killed you or someone you love by then.

word
04-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Your hopes have nothing to do with anything in my life. I hope you live a happy life filled with no sorrow or pain. If you get that, you'll be the first. I'm on your side, whether you believe it or not.

Xylus
04-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I might have made some obtuse, perhaps not-very-well-thought-out, comments in this thread, but why is no one giving this ballijuana guy shit for saying things like this?

Ban this guy already.

The Nba Is Rigged
04-14-2008, 09:49 PM

I know your pissed at what he said, and I think you have every right to be angry but you shouldn't say stuff like that. Your way better than that. Relax.

Xylus
04-14-2008, 09:52 PM
As for the topic at hand, after giving it some more thought I now understand what you guys mean when you call it a "selfish act," when at first I didn't really get it. I wasn't trying to justify Melo's actions, or excuse him for doing it, but I think some of the reactions to this particular crime are a little out of hand. Ballijuana sounds like he's going to commit homicide if someone disagrees with him about the degree of importance of this crime.

I think nowadays, people are too quick to demonize someone who's committed a crime, when just about everyone has skeletons either in their closet, or out on their lawn for everyone to see. Carmelo might have committed a selfish act, but he didn't hurt anyone, he didn't commit an act of violence, and he hasn't even been proven guilty yet. Don't skewer the guy so soon.

balli
04-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Obviously I don't want the guy or his loved ones dead. Just a very bad way of saying I hope he gets a new perspective on the issue. Truly, I'm sorry word. It was a bad thing to say. Still, I hate your position.

balli
04-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Obviously I don't want the guy or his loved ones dead. Just a very bad way of saying I hope he gets a new perspective on the issue. Truly, I'm sorry word. It was a bad thing to say. Still, I hate your position.

As for the topic at hand, after giving it some more thought I now understand what you guys mean when you call it a "selfish act," when at first I didn't really get it. I wasn't trying to justify Melo's actions, or excuse him for doing it, but I think some of the reactions to this particular crime are a little out of hand.
What nice resolution.

word
04-14-2008, 09:57 PM
He's a Hawks fan. Which means he's probably a Falcons fan which means he's probably a Braves fan...

Tough down there lately if you're a sports fan.

balli
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
He's a Hawks fan. Which means he's probably a Falcons fan which means he's probably a Braves fan...

Tough down there lately if you're a sports fan.

Nope. Just liked Joe Johnson before he went there and the team stuck.

word
04-14-2008, 10:07 PM

Apology accepted but not necessary. I've been on forums a long time here and there, even back to the newsgroups days before the WWW and have said a lot of things I didn't really mean in literal terms.

I'm pretty sure you don't wish death upon me or my loved ones.

I think I've covered my position reasonably well. You may not agree but I did state WHY I think the way I do. You can't fault me for that. That's more than you'll get from a lot of people.

balli
04-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Cool enough. I guess we'll just agree to disagree then.

Cherry
04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Poor guy

cash459
04-16-2008, 07:22 PM
how bout you read this article first and then see how "innocent" his actions were..........

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/16/allegedly-melo-was-really-drunk/?icid=100214839x1200087109x1200003383

that is ABSURD to read/hear/think of how drunk he was....AND behind the wheel. If thats not a selfish, ignorant, selfless act, then I dont know what is.