PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Lakers Apr. 13

timvp
04-14-2008, 02:43 PM
The Spurs found themselves in another big game on Sunday afternoon. By Sunday night, the Spurs were trying to figure out what went wrong. After getting blown out for the third time this month, things do not look rosy in Spursland.

Give credit to the Lakers for playing a strong second half. With the teams tied at 53 at halftime, the Lakers came out in the third quarter and promptly started dominating the game. It appears that they will finish with the top seed in the Western Conference and they definitely looked the part on Sunday.

The Spurs are basically a mess right now. It doesn’t help that Manu Ginobili is out injured but the team should have shown more fight than it did on Sunday. They competed well in the first half but then came the predictable second half scoring drought. After getting outscored 53-32 in the second half, the Spurs looked as poor as they have all season.

The worst aspect is that both their offense and defense are struggling now. The Lakers shot 50% from the floor and were carving up the Spurs with ease. The Spurs shot 41.8% and struggled all afternoon to find open looks.

Is it time to give up on the season? Hardly. However, there should be concern. With the playoffs less than a week away, the Spurs are currently limping their way to the finish line. If you are a Spurs fan, the thing you have to hold on to is the team’s championship experience and playoff know-how. Other than that, it doesn’t look good right now.

-Tim Duncan is slumping at a bad time. He played another horrible game. Against the Lakers, he played about as poorly as Duncanly possible. Defensively he was invisible. Offensively he was missing everything. It was just an awful display of basketball. Worst of all, it didn’t even look like Duncan was competing out there. For the game, he had 16 points and 12 rebounds, while shooting 6-for-19 from the field. The Spurs desperately need the real Tim Duncan to resurface if they have any hope of turning this season around.

-Tony Parker played a really nice first half. In the second half, he was nowhere to be found. He simply disappeared off the face of the Staples Center court. With Ginobili out and Duncan struggling, Parker needed to carry the team. He did just that in the first half, as he had 18 points, five rebounds and five assists in the first two quarters. However, in the final two quarters, Parker managed only two points and two rebounds. That was far from the second half performance the Spurs needed out of their point guard. To be fair, Parker spent a lot of the second half watching from the bench. I’m starting to be a bit more concerned about the health of his ankle. In recent games, he seems to be fatiguing faster than usual. The result is not as much speed from him in the second half of games, which in turn makes the offense stale. Hopefully I’m wrong.

-Bruce Bowen defended Kobe Bryant decently well. Bryant only had 20 points on 6-for-14 shooting from the floor. Bowen didn’t help offensively, where he was 1-for-4 from the field. I thought his overall energy level was a bit lacking, which could be said for a lot of the Spurs.

-Michael Finley was a tiny bright spot for the Spurs. His shooting gave the Spurs a little bit of life. He was even able to create shots off the dribble when the Spurs offense had completely shut down. Finley finished with 11 points on 5-for-11 shooting from the field. Defensively and rebounding-wise, Finley didn’t help at all. No defense and one rebound in 33 minutes wasn’t exactly helpful.

-Fabricio Oberto started and played nine minutes. In that amount of time, he had three rebounds and a blocked shot. While he wasn’t horrible, it appeared to be another game where he was just going though the motions. If Oberto doesn’t give the team consistent effort in the playoffs, he won’t be starting much longer.

-Ime Udoka played 28 minutes off the bench and did a pretty good job. He finished with 14 points, three rebounds, two assists and two steals, while shooting 4-for-10 from the court. I would have liked more rebounds out of him but overall it was a solid effort. It definitely wasn’t his fault that the Spurs lost.

-Kurt Thomas played 20 minutes and I wasn’t too impressed with the result. Two rebounds was weak, especially considering the Spurs were dominated on the boards 51-36. Thomas needs to start being more of a physical, rebounding presence when he’s out on the court. He shows glimpses of what he can be but overall his scoring, rebounding and blocked shots are down compared to his time on Seattle. The Spurs need more out of Thomas.

-I thought both Jacque Vaughn and Damon Stoudamire played pretty well off the bench, all things considered. Vaughn had eight points, three assists and no turnovers on 4-for-5 shooting from the floor. Stoudamire had six points, four assists and two rebounds on 3-for-6 shooting. Vaughn struggled at times with pace but overall he played well enough for the Spurs to win. Stoudamire played his best game since his early days with the Spurs. Hopefully this two-headed backup point guard monster will play well in the playoffs.

-Matt Bonner and DerMarr Johnson both mostly trash minutes. Neither did much, although it appears that Johnson did a lot of growing up while with the Austin Toros. He’s no longer the showboating gunner he used to be earlier in his career.

-I’m not even sure what to think about Pop right now. He has been preaching about how unimportant the end of the regular season is for the last couple weeks. He acts and coaches like these are your run of the mill regular season games and not the important games they appear to be on paper.

The Spurs don’t play with much intensity or heart these days. I think that starts with Pop. Hopefully his plan of keeping things safe and not going balls to the wall for homecourt advantage pays off in the long run. Right now it’s frustrating to watch. I definitely don’t think he’s throwing games on purpose but it’s also pretty obvious that he’s not coaching like these are important games.

Times are rough for the Spurs. I guess all we Spurs fans can hope is that the team stays as healthy as possible heading into the playoffs and that the team can then find its rhythm in the postseason. It’s not too far fetched to believe that Duncan can pull his head out of the Virgin Islands, Parker can pitch complete games and Ginobili can return to his earlier season form. If those three things happen, the Spurs will still have a shot at it all.

Tonight the Spurs face the Kings in what is unquestionably an important game in the Western Conference standings. If the Spurs lose this game, there’s a very real possibility that the Spurs will open the first round of the playoffs on the road. They need this one.

Believe.

hater
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Spurs got raped

BigVee
04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
I guess we will find out about the intensity fairly soon. The way the Spurs have played this year and as tough as the WC is, they will be hard pressed to win a road game. I am still holding on to the notion that they are pacing themselves but it is getting harder and harder to believe. As for the coaching, there are some line-ups he puts out there that the lady Vols could hold under 20.

wildbill2u
04-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Tim missing shots from 3-4 feet time after time reminds me of another bad stretch he had in the past. Absolutely unimaginable for any pro player, but really stupfying from the best PF in the game.

When TP is your only scorer, almost any team can make adjustments to stop him. I don't blame TP for the second half lack of production.

Lakers wanted it more for sure in the 3rd quarter.

Kurt Thomas was shitcanned by two teams this year. Doesn't that tell us--and Pop--something about his current abilities? The Spurs obviously took him based on his past showings--a perception failure that is becoming a habit (ref. NVE, Stoudmire).

We are becoming the team that tells the league "Send us your washed-up, your walking wounded, the refuse of the end of your bench"

1Parker1
04-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Udoka was the bright spot of yesterday. He was the only one who played with an energy throughout the game and like he wanted to win it.

Kurt Thomas is an enigma to me. I thought he'd be a lot more solid and consistent than he's been. I'm sure part of it is the inconsistent minutes he's been getting, but it seems he gets lost in the offense with the Spurs too. He's a great little mid-range shooter off pick and rolls, and Spurs don't utilize it enough.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I thought, "Maybe the game sucked so bad that it blew timvp's mind and he couldn't write game thoughts."

1Parker1
04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
PS. Good recap as always Timvp. I do agree with your assessment. I still like our chances with a healthy Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili going into the playoffs. I don't like our chances though if the Spurs can't find a consistent shooter outside those 3 to step up. Finley, I'm looking at you....

rAm
04-14-2008, 03:18 PM
the game went exactly how I expected it to go:

Great first half, spurs stop playing an get blown out in the 4th. Even when they are playing shitty, they are still a great team (a la the first half). But they run out of steam and creativity towards the end of the 3rd, and they get dominated.

boutons_
04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Kurt and Fabbs really need to get their butts in gear and realize that they really affect the outcome of the game. They need to take responsibility for the outcome as much as the Big3.

They seem to be just going through the motions, no intensity, no real effort, too fucking timid.

duncan228
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.

If you are a Spurs fan, the thing you have to hold on to is the team’s championship experience and playoff know-how.

I'm holding onto it and I put a lot of stock into it.

The Spurs desperately need the real Tim Duncan to resurface if they have any hope of turning this season around.

He will. He's never let us down in the Playoffs if he's healthy.

Believe.

I do.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I KNEW Parker was gonna disappear in the second half.

And this isn't even so much a slight against Parker, as it is just a flashback from the 2004 series when TP would carve up the Lakers and then PJ would have his team clog the lane and then the next thing you know, you've got a hesitant jump shooting Parker.

While I think fatigue plays a factor, I also think many teams simply take a few quarters to adjust to TP and then pack the lanes which makes it tough for not only TP, but TD as well.

And if you factor in that the Spurs lately have been looking like the worst jump shooting team in NBA history....well.....these offensive droughts make perfect sense.

We just have no one (outside of streaky Finley) who can space the floor for us. Udoka is a pleasant surprise, but has no arc on his 3-ball, and Bowen is managing to miss more wide open corner 3's than making them.

Pop has reduced Bonner to a heap of trash. I honestly think I can hit more 3's in an NBA game than he can. He's quickly turning into Antoine Walker.....but at least Walker would rack some boards and assists now and again. As stated in other threads, Pop shouldn't have buried Bonner SO deep in the doghouse, and maybe Bonner's confidence wouldn't be so destroyed. Bonner used to be an incredible hustle guy, tapping out loose rebounds much like Oberto used to, but now neither are playing with any heart.

Having said all this, I'm still not truly scared of the Lakers. I think if the Spurs can bring the defensive intensity they can definitely win a best of 7 against LAL with or without HCA.

It all depends on health and the Spurs ability to disrupt the Lakers offense.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I really have no idea what we'll see in the post season.

This has been the strangest end to a season that I've seen. When the Spurs destroyed the Rockets, back what seemed like a month ago already, and went on their little winning streak I thought the team had turned the corner. Now they seem to have regressed again.

It's been a weird ending to a season for a team that is usually crushing folks this time of year.

1Parker1
04-14-2008, 03:38 PM
It's also odd to think the Spurs will now see the Suns in the first round. Last season, people were mad that it was a semi-conference series and not a finals series.

MoSpur
04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I have come to expect NO OFFENSE from the Spurs in the third and fourth quarters. I still believe though.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
It's also odd to think the Spurs will now see the Suns in the first round. Last season, people were mad that it was a semi-conference series and not a finals series.

I heavily downplayed the Shaq trade, but the Suns are probably the last team I want to see in the playoffs.

Their extra motivation to knock us off is gonna be similar to that of the Spurs against the Lakers back in '03.

As a matter of fact, this year's Spurs team reminds me of 2003 Lakers.

101A
04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Spurs will win tonight - it's a pattern; Only the important games are coached as if they aren't.

Killakobe81
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Great recap ...
But you guys i credit you for keeping the faith ..but you are silly to discount the Lakers. We can beat you guys in a series ...and the Lakers would be foolish to do the same.Spurs are STILL the champs.

FromWayDowntown
04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
I've stated my befuddlement about Pop's indifference to his team's poor play in a variety of places around the forum. It's either very troubling (does he think they're not worth worrying about?) or very reassuring (does he know that things could go better, but doesn't really care and is just trying to get through this?).

The ball-stopping on offense is usually a Pop Scream-athon regular, but it doesn't happen these days. The poor interior defense is even more of a guaranteed Pop Special Timeout, but even that (and bad transition D) aren't drawing timeouts.

It's beyond bizarre to me.

The Spurs have had no trouble playing good-to-great, highly-competitive halves. But they look like a team that had a grueling morning workout after halftime of those games.

Capt Bringdown
04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Seems like the best we can hope for is for us to get even luckier than last year. Whatever happens next year, I hope we can put an end to the "let's play uninspired basketball until the playoffs" mentality.

roycrikside
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Any news on who is going to be available tonight? Manu? Brent? Robert? Anyone? Bueller?

ducks
04-14-2008, 04:18 PM
why did the spurs go to duncan 4 straight times to start the second half?

duncan228
04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Any news on who is going to be available tonight? Manu? Brent? Robert? Anyone? Bueller?

It's been said here that Barry will play, though Spurs.com says he won't.

Look for some Mango tomorrow against the Kings.

Manu and Horry will not.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080414.html

Injury/Inactive Report
Robert Horry (left knee contusion) and Brent Barry are out
Manu Ginobili (mild strain, left adductor) will not play

nfg3
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm really confused about the Spurs these days. I haven't seen them play inspired BB for 48 minutes this season. Just when I thought it was coming together here comes another derailment. Are these the same players that won it all last year? You could have fooled me. Lack of intensity, missed rotations and frankly they seem out of sync lately. Maybe there is something going on that we don't know about. Totally puzzled.

Scola Trade
04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Spurs are tanking to matchup against Rockets (4-5) and let Jazz & Suns kill each other (3-6) :rolleyes

wildchild
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Give credit to the Lakers for playing a strong second half.

Believe.

And we played weak second half, again. Like against Utah, Suns.

What's hell happening in the second half? We can't be aggressive, effective. Nothing. Why?

Even so, agree with timvp, BELIEVE!

WalterBenitez
04-14-2008, 05:24 PM
If NBA doesn't adopt 40 min's game like FIBA we won't win anything this year :oink

Allanon
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Beating the Spurs without Manu is not very difficult.

1) Clog the lane with your Center, Small Forward and whoever is guarding Bruce/Ime to prevent Tony's drives

2) Double off Parker to help out on Tim Duncan and he passes out or has to shoot over a double/triple team. The rest of the team can't reliably hit jump shots and that's the end of the story. Tony doesn't believe in his jumpshot so Fisher was messing with Duncan all night long since TP was standing at the 3pt line.

Things should change dramatically once Manu comes back since it will no longer be so easy to neutralize Timmy and TP.

And once Barry comes back, you can't double off him either.

td4mvp21
04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Beating the Spurs without Manu is not very difficult.

1) Clog the lane with your Center, Small Forward and whoever is guarding Bruce/Ime to prevent Tony's drives

2) Double off Parker to help out on Tim Duncan and he passes out or has to shoot over a double/triple team. The rest of the team can't reliably hit jump shots and that's the end of the story. Tony doesn't believe in his jumpshot so Fisher was messing with Duncan all night long since TP was standing at the 3pt line.

Things should change dramatically once Manu comes back since it will no longer be so easy to neutralize Timmy and TP.

And once Barry comes back, you can't double off him either.

All very true :tu

However, the Lakers deserve credit they raped the Spurs yesterday. Their offense is really good.

DazedAndConfused
04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I've said for a long time that Barry is a huge part of the Spurs offense. It may not show up in the stat sheets but he is kind of the glue guy for their 2nd unit. Great passer, shooter, knows how to run the show. Invaluable player and the Spurs are really hurting with him out.

bigfundamental21
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
It is hard to not overlook the poor second half performances of late, but we have to trust that our Spurs will bring their best effort when the playoffs start. Health, of course is an issue, but I think the FO is being extra cautious in bringing guys back. It's like Coach Pop said... it is better for us to go into the playoffs healthy and at a lower seed, than unhealthy with the number 1 seed.

Obstructed_View
04-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Seems like the best we can hope for is for us to get even luckier than last year. Whatever happens next year, I hope we can put an end to the "let's play uninspired basketball until the playoffs" mentality.
And that's why they've never repeated.

Brutalis
04-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah it's frustrating. And I'm glad someone knows how to put it in perspective. So without reason this is what I'd be saying if they could hear me.

Duncan has to get it in his head he has to work harder to do things that were once easy as eating cake. I hate it, but I also hated it seeing David go down to injuries. TD must realize, this is not about being quick, fast, or jump higher. This is about your head. Get that right and the body reacts, like so fluently you show in your career. Only a handful have ever had the talent to do that in the league.

Where Duncan goes, as do the Spurs. I love Manu and Tony. (alphabetical order bitch) But whatever they do only helps in a win when Duncan plays well enough. When he don't, we are a .500 team and I truly believe that, at best. His knowledge, experience, and presence alone is what separates him from others in this league who may have better numbers. Just step up in your head and see it happening. I don't know what else to say, ..use the Force, the Darkside is easy yet strong.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-15-2008, 12:15 AM
We really need a "fingers crossed" emoticon, because incredible luck is about the only hope we have of getting through the most stacked West in recent memory with this beaten up team of gallant but aging role players...