PDA

View Full Version : Phx/Houston Tiebreaker?

Gino
04-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Ive read that Phx hold the tie breaker vs Houston but this can't be correct. The Suns and Rockets split the series and Houston has the better WC record.

Rockets would own the tiebreaker, correct?

Gino
04-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Wait...i think i just figured it out.

If the Suns/Rockets/Spurs tie, then it goes to the team with the best record against the other TWO teams.

So if the Spurs lose against Jazz, the Jazz would have the three seed, the Suns would be four and the Rockets five.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2008, 11:48 PM
but if the Spurs win.....then they play the Suns in round 1?

Gino
If the Spurs win, then it would be the Spurs with the three seed, the Jazz with the fourth, the Rockets with the fifth (with HCA) and the Suns with the sixth.

Gino
but if the Spurs win.....then they play the Suns in round 1?

Yeah....crazy, huh?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2008, 11:49 PM
so the Spurs are screwed this post season

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2008, 11:49 PM
This is the most insane season....ever

Gino
04-14-2008, 11:50 PM
so the Spurs are screwed this post season

Well, everyone is kind of screwed except whoever gets the #1 seed.

Nuggs will fold.

Spurs rock
04-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Spurs need the Clippers to beat the Rockets on Wed. or lose the the Jazz. Otherwise they are screwed.

Jeremy
04-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Remember how the team with the "better record" has homecourt advantage in all rounds no matter what the seeds are? Well, what happens in the 3-way tie scenario? What happens if a 5 seed has the tiebreaker over the 4 seed but loses the 3-way tiebreaker and gets the 5 seed? Does the 4 seed have homecourt advantage or does it go back to the 2-way tiebreaker? And in future rounds, if two of the seeds from a 3-way tie meet, what is HCA based on--the seeds or the head-to-head tiebreaker?

This is all very confusing...heh.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Remember how the team with the "better record" has homecourt advantage in all rounds no matter what the seeds are? Well, what happens in the 3-way tie scenario? What happens if a 5 seed has the tiebreaker over the 4 seed but loses the 3-way tiebreaker and gets the 5 seed? Does the 4 seed have homecourt advantage or does it go back to the 2-way tiebreaker? And in future rounds, if two of the seeds from a 3-way tie meet, what is HCA based on--the seeds or the head-to-head tiebreaker?

go to the Spurs section of the forum, there are big discussions about all of this

phx_13
04-15-2008, 06:52 AM

if there is a three way tie they look at the three teams winning percentage against each other so i think the suns would HCA because against the spurs and rockets they were 5-3, the rockets would come next because they were 4-4 against the suns and spurs,and the the spurs would end up with the 6th seed beacuse they were 3-5 against the suns and rockets.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html

Indazone
04-15-2008, 09:50 AM
If San Antonio wins (and Phoenix and Houston) then there's no 4-way tie and we play Utah as the 5 seed with home court.

If Utah wins (and Phoenix and Houston) then we play...Utah without home court?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, does that mean we're locked to play Utah so long as we and Phoenix beat the Clipps

So doggone it! Win Spurs!! Do us a favor and give us the Jazz while the Champs can take on their traditional rivals the Suns with Shaq. lol

Gino
04-15-2008, 10:25 AM
If San Antonio wins (and Phoenix and Houston) then there's no 4-way tie and we play Utah as the 5 seed with home court.

If Utah wins (and Phoenix and Houston) then we play...Utah without home court?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, does that mean we're locked to play Utah so long as we and Phoenix beat the Clipps

So doggone it! Win Spurs!! Do us a favor and give us the Jazz while the Champs can take on their traditional rivals the Suns with Shaq. lol

Thats not correct. If the Jazz win, you would play Phoenix in the first round without HCA.

DazedAndConfused
04-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Basically the only way SAS can play HOU is if HOU loses to the Clippers which isn't going to happen.

SAS is either going to play UTA without HCA or PHX with HCA.

TampaDude
04-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Basically the only way SAS can play HOU is if HOU loses to the Clippers which isn't going to happen.

SAS is either going to play UTA without HCA or PHX with HCA.

I'll take PHX with HCA, then... :toast

Jeremy
04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Actually, if the Rockets and Spurs lose and Suns win, then the Suns play the Spurs and Suns would have HCA.

What I was asking about above, though, could happen I see and applies to the 4-way tie scenario. If the Suns are at 4 and Houston at 5, then who gets homecourt advantage?? The Suns, based on the 4-way tie giving us the 4 seed? Or the Rockets, based on the head-to-head tiebreaker??

Here are the results of the 4-way tie:

SAS/UTA/HOU/PHX tied at 55 wins:

3. UTA: 7-3
4. PHX: 6-5
5. HOU: 5-6
6. SAS: 4-8

In other words, if there is a 4-way tie, do the Suns really have HCA against the Rockets, or does it just look like they do? Heh.

Jeremy
04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Thats not correct. If the Jazz win, you would play Phoenix in the first round without HCA.

Does Phoenix really have HCA, though? See my above post.

BiZNicK
04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
lol @ the 5th option for a tiebreaker...coin toss

Indazone
04-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Prediction for tonights game. Both the Spurs and the Jazz are gonna try to tank this game to avoid the Suns. It will be the most sloppy, poorly substituted game you've ever seen with missed shots and turnovers on both sides. But they both gotta make it look good so the players will sorta play hard but not really. Watch for an ugly low scoring game.

Jeremy
04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, it seems that there is no scenario where the Suns get HCA against the Rockets:

Homecourt advantage for any series is determined by record, not seed. So, it's possible that the 5 seed could have homecourt advantage over the 4, or that the 6 seed could have homecourt advantage over the 3.

http://www.nba.com/features/seedingprimer07.html

If Suns get the 4 seed and Rockets get the 5 seed, the Rockets will still have HCA--they earned it and no 3-plus-tie-breaking procedure can take it away from them. The seedings do not affect it.

Indazone
04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Rockets actually play well against the Suns. So it's either the Suns or the Jazz. But for the Rockets to draw the Suns, they gotta lose the Clippers game and that isn't gonna happen.

Jeremy
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Rockets actually play well against the Suns. So it's either the Suns or the Jazz. But for the Rockets to draw the Suns, they gotta lose the Clippers game and that isn't gonna happen.

Actually, if the Rockets, Suns, and Jazz all win it'll be Rockets-Suns first round. If Rockets lose, they can't play the Suns (I think...).

Indazone
04-15-2008, 02:11 PM
:wtf