PDA

View Full Version : The homer announcers finally get called out

doldrums
04-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Eddie Johnson and Tommy Heinsohn hit the exacta of homerism plus lack of knowledge. Sean comes out ok. And finally the Knicks and Nets announcers get credited with objectivity mixed with nba knowledge. This is great!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62498538@N00/2413153215/sizes/o/

Budkin
04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Johnny "Red" Kerr as well. That guy is as fucking homer as they come.

TampaDude
04-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah, Stu Lantz has always seemed pretty objective to me...he never came across as a homer...Heinsohn is fucking annoying...

DAF86
04-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Lakers announcers are the worst by far

balli
04-15-2008, 12:40 AM
I seriously did not watch the Celtics this season because of Tommy Heinsohn. That was the only reason. If they had almost any other announcer I probably would've seen 50+ games. The man is unbearable. Why league pass goes with the Celtics telecast, I'll never understand. :bang

Are you crazy? Either you're on meth or you don't watch the Lakers.

TampaDude
04-15-2008, 12:42 AM

I disagree...Lantz is not homerish at all...

DAF86
04-15-2008, 12:45 AM
I disagree...Lantz is not homerish at all...

Are you crazy?

Might be something personal then, but i just can't stand those guys.

Fillmoe
04-15-2008, 12:46 AM
i would have to say the kings announcers are the worst.... sometimes grant even pisses me off with the homerism

balli
04-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Might be something personal then, but i just can't stand those guys.

I know how that is. The Heat's guys aren't all that big of homers, but they still bug me for some reason. Not that I've been watching Miami this year.

xcoriate
04-15-2008, 12:48 AM
hahaha and how was this measured exactly... I must admit based on what I've heard Sean should be closer to the homer side ;)

Tigole Bitties
04-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Kings, Grizzlies, and Spurs probably have the top three homerish announcers

balli
04-15-2008, 12:50 AM
hahaha and how was this measured exactly... I must admit based on what I've heard Sean should be closer to the homer side ;)

http://dimemag.com/2008/01/29/the-homers/

The Homers
By Patrick Cassidy

Sean Elliott drives me crazy. As far as his color commentary work goes on Spurs broadcasts, he might be the biggest homer going.

I generally don’t mind homer commentators at all; I really don’t. They add something for local fans watching their team’s broadcasts and their sometimes ridiculous one-sided views of the game can be entertaining. I’m not a Celtics fan, but I think Tommy Heinsohn for the most part is hilarious. Same thing with guys like Clyde Drexler (Rockets), Kevin Calabro(Seattle), Scott Hastings (Denver), and Stu Lantz (Lakers), among others. All of those guys I just listed pretty much openly root for their team, and it doesn’t really bother me in the slightest. It’s part of the beauty of League Pass - you get the different flavors that the NBA has to offer from coast to coast.

There’s just something about Elliott that is just way too much. By all accounts he’s a great guy and he has every reason to feel like an extended part of the Spurs’ on-court family. He gave them a lot of good years, won a lot of games with them and is obviously still tight with the coaches and the players. It’s just that when he adopts the whole Spurs attitude, things head south for me.

I don’t care if you’re the biggest die-hard Spurs fan out there, you can’t deny that they might just be the whiniest team in all of basketball. Every call, every no-call, and generally everything that happens over the course of 48 minutes is met with whining or crying of some sort. And if, God forbid, a foul is called on somebody in a Spurs uni? You can bet that 10 out of 10 times, that call is going to be met with the Manu/Duncan-patented incredulous “It’s a Foul on Me?!” schtik on the court and at the announcers’ table.

They carry themselves with general arrogance that ties in with the whining (as in, “We don’t have to play well until the playoffs because we’re the Spurs!” or “We’re the Spurs! We’re too good to foul!”). Last night’s game was one big study in all of it. They were simply out-hustled and out-hearted by the Utah Jazz. Utah played better defense, came up with huge loose balls and boards and they hit big shots. Yet San Antonio and (Elliott) were carrying on like it was just unfathomable that Utah could be winning the game.

Case in point: after Kyle Korver stuck that huge three in the final minute, there was a timeout called. NBA TV came back from a commercial and switched over to the Spurs broadcast for a minute. You could immediately hear Elliott saying, his voice dripping with some mix of disbelief and disdain: “And then Kyle Korver hits that three…” Like he just can’t believe that Kyle Korver, of all people, hit an open three to kill his team. Like, on top of all the calls going against the Spurs, his team has to deal with a nobody banging threes on them too.

If Sean’s going to carry on like that, maybe he belongs on the bench instead of on the mic.

sprrs
04-15-2008, 01:03 AM
http://dimemag.com/2008/01/29/the-homers/

Sounds more like general Spur-hate then an objective point of view. Ah, the irony.

DAF86
04-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Sounds more like general Spur-hate then an objective point of view.

Yep.

wireonfire
04-15-2008, 01:09 AM

BS, they are among the better ones, definitely no homers.

Elliott should be way up there.

Cry Havoc
04-15-2008, 01:41 AM
“We don’t have to play well until the playoffs because we’re the Spurs!”

If not playing well for the Spurs means being injured all season and still coming up with 55+ wins, that's a dire, dire sign for the rest of the league.

greyforest
04-15-2008, 02:18 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91867

spurscenter
04-15-2008, 02:24 AM

oh god yes. they are neurotic.

urunobili
04-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Kings, Grizzlies, and Spurs probably have the top three homerish announcers
sorry mate... that would be the knicks, celts and warriors

tlongII
04-15-2008, 06:45 AM
I see that Kevin Calabro and Snapper Jones are both rated very high. I wonder if they will move with the team to OK City?

DarrinS
04-15-2008, 06:51 AM
It's difficult to make much sense of the graph.

SenorSpur
04-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Of course this is going to sound biased coming from a Spurs fan, but everyone is totally aware of Sean's homerism. He'll be the first to tell you that he is just that. However as an NBA League Pass subscriber, I get to hear many of the opposition's broadcast teams. I can tell you this. Sean is no bigger or worse homer than any other color commentator working for his NBA team. He is also not afraid to criticize the Spurs when they are underperforming or simply not playing well.

As big of a homer as Sean is, he still manages to dole out a substantial amount of complimentary praise for the opposition, wherever warranted. He always gives little ancedotes on the opposition's best players or whoever may be performing well that night. He's never deragotory, confrontational or disingenious to the other team like hear from some of the opposing commentators. Hell, I remember listening to one game this season where the opposing color commentator suggested that bodily harm be inflicted on Ginobili for his flopping act. How's that for homerism?

I listen to my share of Dallas Mavs telecasts and I can confirm that Brad Davis and Bob Ortegal (former local Mavs TV color commentator now on radio) are far both bigger homers that Sean ever was. Their perspective is so pro-Maverick for obvious reasons - they have to be. It's no secret that Cuban lords over these broadcasts and he's made changes in the past because he didn't feel the opinions and commentary were not up to his pro-Maverick standards.

Cry Havoc
04-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Of course this is going to sound biased coming from a Spurs fan, but everyone is totally aware of Sean's homerism. He'll be the first to tell you that he is just that. However as an NBA League Pass subscriber, I get to hear many of the opposition's broadcast teams. I can tell you this. Sean is no bigger or worse homer than any other color commentator working for his NBA team. He is also not afraid to criticize the Spurs when they are underperforming or simply not playing well.

As big of a homer as Sean is, he still manages to dole out a substantial amount of complimentary praise for the opposition, wherever warranted. He always gives little ancedotes on the opposition's best players or whoever may be performing well that night. He's never deragotory, confrontational or disingenious to the other team like hear from some of the opposing commentators. Hell, I remember listening to one game this season where the opposing color commentator suggested that bodily harm be inflicted on Ginobili for his flopping act. How's that for homerism?

I listen to my share of Dallas Mavs telecasts and I can confirm that Brad Davis and Bob Ortegal (former local Mavs TV color commentator now on radio) are far both bigger homers that Sean ever was. Their perspective is so pro-Maverick for obvious reasons - they have to be. It's no secret that Cuban lords over these broadcasts and he's made changes in the past because he didn't feel the opinions and commentary were not up to his pro-Maverick standards.

I've also noticed that if the Spurs get the benefit of a bad call, Sean still calls out the mistake and says the Spurs got lucky, or got away with one. Most announcers feel their team "deserves" bad calls, so they talk it up like it's an appropriate judgment by the official.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm glad those homers finally got called out by some dude with a Flickr account. Now maybe they'll be held accountable.

wildbill2u
04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Bad graph.

One of the worst homers is the guy that been doing HOuston Rockets play by play for a 1000 years. Gene somebody. Not even on this chart. He's retiring this year I think so maybe I shouldn't speak bad of the living dead

DazedAndConfused
04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
The worst announcers by far are obviously the Celtics and the Blazers. I remember hearing one of their idiot announcers saying, "during the championship years....", when talking about the Blazer's future as if it is gonna be a lock that they will win it all. Pompous, arrogant, idiotic, homers in Portland.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Bad graph.

One of the worst homers is the guy that been doing HOuston Rockets play by play for a 1000 years. Gene somebody. Not even on this chart. He's retiring this year I think so maybe I shouldn't speak bad of the living dead

I think his name is Gene Peterson. He was always funny to listen to. "Smith to Hakeem in the post. Hakeem gets hacked by Ewing as he goes baseline, he's fouled again as he goes back into the lane and puts it in off the glass."

He could talk faster than anyone I ever heard doing play by play. He had to in order to fit two or three complaints about the calls into the time it took for Hakeem to score from the post.

Girasuck
04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I like to dish this out on occasion when I see a worthy recipient...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/jazz1232cardshop/Other%20Stuff/HastingsAward.jpg

SenorSpur
04-15-2008, 11:16 AM
I like to dish this out on occasion when I see a worthy recipient...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/jazz1232cardshop/Other%20Stuff/HastingsAward.jpg

I couldn't believe how much crap this guy talked while watching to a Spurs/Nuggets broadcast. You would've thought HE was still playing.

degenerate_gambler
04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
One of the worst homers is the guy that been doing HOuston Rockets play by play for a 1000 years. Gene somebody...

Peterson

Strange Botwin
04-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I am a Spurs fan, League Pass subscriber and the creator of this chart. I did not take national telecasts into account. Locals only, huevon.

DDS4
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
I think one of THE best is Jim Barnett, the Warriors color analyst.

He's very complimentary of opposing teams and as objective as it gets, IMO. Plus, he knows his stuff. Highly regarded among his peers.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I couldn't believe how much crap this guy talked while watching to a Spurs/Nuggets broadcast. You would've thought HE was still playing.
He was a little bitch when he played, too.

pooh
04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Duncan has that deer in the headlights look whenever he's fouled, like he's exempt from that. I don't see a number 23 on his jersey so no free pass for you. Sean at times is very homerish, talking about how he knows championship ball, etc. When last I looked that was over a decade ago and he's milking that one "prayer" that was answered in a playoff game. Other than that shot (minus his great college career at AZ) what did he do?

Obstructed_View
04-15-2008, 06:57 PM
What's up, pooh?

Sean knows championship ball better than Reggie Miller does. Grammar too.

DazedAndConfused
04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
^That's not saying much

Que Gee
04-15-2008, 07:45 PM

:lol

You don't watch must basketball then.

m33p0
04-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Tommy Heinsohn.... really? yah don't say?

i'd put him dead last just for the sound of his voice which is like fingernails scratching on blackboard.

Rydia
04-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I am surprised you guys haven't listed Dan Majerle on the Suns...he is HORRIBLE.

Whenever I watch that you have to be a Suns fan or else he will drive you nuts. He LOVES that team and every comment goes with it.
yuck!

Obstructed_View
04-16-2008, 05:31 AM
^That's not saying much
True, but it annoys pooh, and that's good enough for me.

pooh
04-16-2008, 07:25 PM
doesn't annoy me, Reggie will be better than Sean by a landslide.

BIG z
04-16-2008, 07:38 PM
I am surprised that it wasn't Sean....

Obstructed_View
04-17-2008, 07:04 AM
doesn't annoy me, Reggie will be better than Sean by a landslide.
Enjoy those stats.