PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Barry back on court after 80-day hiatus

greens
04-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Spurs notebook: Barry back on court after 80-day hiatus

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041508.04D.BKNspurs.notebook.3ddcadd.html

Web Posted: 04/15/2008 12:22 AM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Before Monday night, it had been a long time since Brent Barry stepped on an NBA court. So long, in fact, that Spurs coach Gregg Popovich wasn't sure his formerly injured off-guard would remember to bring the proper equipment.

"I hope he can just remember what sport he's playing before the playoffs begin," Popovich said. "I don't want him to come to the arena with a bat or anything."

Sidelined by a torn muscle in his left calf that healed more slowly than anyone expected, Barry went 80 days without appearing in a game. His hiatus ended with 7:03 left in the second quarter Monday at Sacramento.

He hadn't played since Jan.24, when he aggravated his calf injury in a game against Miami. Barry was traded to Seattle on Feb. 20 along with Francisco Elson for Kurt Thomas. The SuperSonics waived him to create roster space, and he re-signed with the Spurs on March 23.

It took him another 22 days to get his calf in game shape.

Barry's return, just in time for the postseason, should be welcome news for a Spurs team that Popovich says has been "offensively challenged" recently. Barry averaged 7.3 points and shot 43 percent from 3-point range before his extended stay on the injured list.

Brand new Udrih: Beno Udrih has thrived since the preseason trade that sent him from San Antonio to Sacramento via Minnesota.

Udrih, who spent his first three seasons with the Spurs, is averaging 12.6 points and 4.3 assists in 32 minutes per game with the Kings — all career highs by far.

"I like it here," Udrih said. "I was happy to have an opportunity."

Udrih, 25, becomes a free agent at the end of the season. He said Monday he can envision re-signing with Sacramento but would first like to hear the Kings' future plans for him.

Pop 2, Manu 0: For the second-straight game, Manu Ginobili petitioned Popovich to play him. For the second-straight game, Popovich declined.

"I'm winning the battle," Popovich said. "He's not a happy camper. He wants to play badly."

Ginobili has missed three games with a strained groin and could miss a fourth when the Spurs conclude the regular season Wednesday against Utah. He is expected to be available when the Spurs open the playoffs this weekend.

"I felt like I could play now," Ginobili said. "But I understand (Popovich) wants to be cautious."

[email protected]

All I can say is that I want Manu to win the next Pop vs Manu round for the Utah game! He says that he feels fine and is ready to play!

TMTTRIO
04-15-2008, 01:23 AM
yeah I'd like to see Manu maybe get just a few minutes the next game to get some kind of rhythm going for the playoffs after sitting out a few games. He doesn't really play well after sitting out for a while and we really need him to play well instead of being in a major funk.

greens
04-15-2008, 01:26 AM
yeah I'd like to see Manu maybe get just a few minutes the next game to get some kind of rhythm going for the playoffs after sitting out a few games. He doesn't really play well after sitting out for a while and we really need him to play well instead of being in a major funk.

Yup, that's another important point...I don't want him to be rusty.

timvp
04-15-2008, 01:27 AM
If Manu doesn't play against the Jazz, Pop needs to be administered a blood alcohol test immediately.

DespЏrado
04-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Man all kinds of good news starting to flow in.

Manu is rearing to go.
And Barry is looking to make his come back.

I wish we had at least 3 more weeks to get the players into full swing, but at least things are looking up.

J.T.
04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Manu time! Old avatar is back!

greens
04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
If Manu doesn't play against the Jazz, Pop needs to be administered a blood alcohol test immediately.

It also sounds like Manu could have played vs the Lakers as well...

Whisky Dog
04-15-2008, 01:33 AM
Parker is right where he wants to be performance wise going into the playoffs, it's now up to Manu and TD to get their game straight heading into the playoffs. I think the role players will strive if those three have their games clicking in the playoffs.

J.T.
04-15-2008, 01:37 AM
In honor of Robert Horry, who has probably already played his last NBA game, the entire Spurs team decided to sandbag until the playoffs. Thanks for the memories, Rob :toast

#8 is on the way.

polandprzem
04-15-2008, 02:48 AM
The last game of a season was always let go game.
Some players were playing some not.
I would not be surprised if Tony won't play the Utah game cause he played many minutes @ Sacto. Same situation with Bruce.
manu will play minor minutes as he will decrease Pops lead 2-1 in the battle.

All in all spurs will lose that one (IMO) and lose oppurtunity to play Houston in the 1st.

I don't know if Barry will give some effort in the PO. He is in his best when he is in getting stable minutes game after game. That rust won't be easy to shake off.

JPB
04-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Parker is right where he wants to be performance wise going into the playoffs, it's now up to Manu and TD to get their game straight heading into the playoffs. I think the role players will strive if those three have their games clicking in the playoffs.

+1

Tony seems to be back to his self at the right time. He looks like the bone doesn't bother him anymore and play with more confidence.

That's very encouraging because if spurs won't go anywhere without a healthy Manu, they won't either without an agressive TP.

It's up to Duncan now to get in PO mode and be as dominant as he can be.
I have no doubt he will.

If the big 3 is in full power, it will lead and stretch the supporting cast.

urunobili
04-15-2008, 04:36 AM
i still don;t get why y'all think he needs that much time to come back and be effective... he has came back with big games and plus if Tony is playing the way he did yesterday Manu could be paced in slower... :dramaquee

SenorSpur
04-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Whenever one of the big three are out, it really taxes the other two. They have to play a near perfect game for the Spurs to win. Consistent bench play would offset these injury situations.

Speaking of injury situations, it doesn't appear that Barry will have enough time to get properly re-acclimated. Anything we get from him come playoff time will be a REAL bonus.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 09:11 AM
I want Manu to open up hot in the playoffs.

wildbill2u
04-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Such a shame that Barry has been injured. We will need him at top performance level in the playoffs.

BiZNicK
04-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Parker is playing great.

Duncan still needs to create better shots and make them. Though still doing ok.

Manu is having a career season and should be ready to go.

Finley's shot has been improved and more consistant lately.

Bowen is still Bowen.

Thomas needs more minutes, and improve on that mid range shot...

I still have faith that the Spurs will go for FIVE!

ECZ
04-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I really hope parker brings his "A" game into Utah wednesday...we're going to need our entire offense in sync to win there

If im not mistaken, they've won 28 of their last 29 at home

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM

:lol

BiZNicK
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Hopefully Barry remembers how to shoot for that Utah game...

Amuseddaysleeper
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I really hope parker brings his "A" game into Utah wednesday...we're going to need our entire offense in sync to win there

If im not mistaken, they've won 28 of their last 29 at home

The game is in San Antonio

xtremesteven33
04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
80 day hiatus???

dude that is crazy....Barry better have some INSANE energy for the playoffs....he look really rusty last night....