PDA

View Full Version : SacBee: Kings' effort in loss earns respect of Spurs

Dex
04-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Kings' effort in loss earns respect of Spurs
By Melody Gutierrez - [email protected]

Last Updated 6:04 am PDT Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C7

Sometimes it is what the opponents say that means the most.

The Kings kept it close Monday, earning the respect of playoff-bound San Antonio, but were unable to seal the win in the final home game of the season.

"I am really impressed with them tonight," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after his team defeated the Kings 101-98 at Arco Arena. "They are not going to the playoffs, but they played for themselves, and they played for their fans. It was a crazy game."
Click here to find out more!

The Kings wrapped up their home season with a 26-15 record while playing in front of an enthusiastic announced crowd of 15,334.

"Nothing was easy," said Spurs point guard Tony Parker, who scored a game-high 32 points and had 11 assists. "We battled hard and were lucky to pull out the win."

The defending champion Spurs, who hold the third seed in the Western Conference, won the season series against the Kings 3-1.

The Kings led by as many as six points despite playing without their top three scorers – Kevin Martin, Ron Artest and Brad Miller – who have averaged a combined 57.6 points a game this season.

"It was disappointing that we weren't able to come up with the win, but that's a championship team," said John Salmons. "We made them sweat, so I guess we can take that into the offseason as a positive note."

But not before playing the Lakers tonight in the season finale at Staples Center.

"I think we've screwed up a lot of teams' destinies and we have one more to try to do it," said rookie Spencer Hawes, who scored 17 points despite not playing much of the fourth quarter.

John Salmons led the Kings with 29 points and 10 rebounds against the Spurs, coming up big by converting a three-point play with 14.3 seconds remaining after a Francisco García steal. Salmons' free throw put the Kings within 99-98 as Tim Duncan fouled out. Duncan finished with 19 points and five rebounds.

" 'Cisco had a good steal and that kept us in the game," Salmons said.

Or at least long enough to foul Michael Finley with 11.8 seconds remaining. The guard made both free throws to give the Spurs a three-point lead.

After calling a timeout, the Kings sent the ball to García for a three-point attempt, but he missed with 8.9 seconds remaining. Salmons rebounded the ball, and the Kings passed it around until finding Quincy Douby, but the guard missed with 1.9 seconds left.

Coach Reggie Theus said he felt García was fouled on his final shot. García agreed.

"Oh yeah, he did foul me. In the head," said Garcia, who finished with 15 points and five steals. "We played good tonight. We played hard. We almost had it."

The Kings kept it close even without their three high-scoring starters. Martin missed his second game with a strained right knee, Artest sat out for a fourth time in six games with a thumb injury, and Miller has been out with a stress fracture in his left leg and a bone chip in his right elbow.

"At this point in the year, just having our guys lace them up and play this hard is just a tribute to them," Theus said. "Short-handed and making teams that have won championships really coach to the end – that's a tribute to them, our players."

Fabbs
04-15-2008, 09:37 AM
After calling a timeout, the Kings sent the ball to García for a three-point attempt, but he missed with 8.9 seconds remaining. Salmons rebounded the ball, and the Kings passed it around until finding Quincy Douby, but the guard missed with 1.9 seconds left.

Coach Reggie Theus said he felt García was fouled on his final shot. García agreed.

"Oh yeah, he did foul me. In the head," said Garcia, who finished with 15 points and five steals. "We played good tonight. We played hard. We almost had it."It's in the books, in a way i don't really care.
But was Garcia fouled and if so how hard?
Bogus non call?

Demo Dick Marcinko
04-15-2008, 09:44 AM
He was fouled before he went into his shooting motion when Bruce inadvertently swiped at the ball and hit him a glancing blow on the crown of his head. He should have been shooting 2 shots only. Judgement call. Then when he went into his shooting motion, Bruce again swiped at the ball and there is no conclusive visual evidence that he hit the top of his head again. Good no call on Bruce's second attempted swipe at the ball.

mexicanjunior
04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
It's in the books, in a way i don't really care.
But was Garcia fouled and if so how hard?
Bogus non call?

They should consider it a make up for Finley getting smacked on the inbounds pass and steal that got them within 1...

BTW, I really wish John Salmons was a free agent coming this year. I think he would fit the Spurs 2 spot very nicely, great all around game by him...

DarrinS
04-15-2008, 09:54 AM
They should consider it a make up for Finley getting smacked on the inbounds pass and steal that got them within 1...

Yeah, that was BS.

BTW, I really wish John Salmons was a free agent coming this year. I think he would fit the Spurs 2 spot very nicely, great all around game by him...

Good offensive player, but can he play D?

mexicanjunior
04-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Good offensive player, but can he play D?

Not 100% sure on his D since I haven't watched alot of Kings game but he seems to be very adept at rebounding from the 2 guard and has a nice consistent jumper. Also, I loved his willingness to constantly attack the basket...

We should have kept him when we drafted him...

SenorSpur
04-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Not 100% sure on his D since I haven't watched alot of Kings game but he seems to be very adept at rebounding from the 2 guard and has a nice consistent jumper. Also, I loved his willingness to constantly attack the basket...

We should have kept him when we drafted him...

I can't believe how Salmons' game has developed. He doesn't look like the same player he was when he entered the league as a rookie. Now that the Kings are building around Kevin Martin, I wonder what the Kings have in store for Salmons.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
The Kings did pretty darn well last night.

Theus is doing better as an NBA coach than I expected in his first year. The dude is a winner.

boutons_
04-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Whatever the Kings were, the Spurs weren't the Spurs we need at this point.

ploto
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Salmons was supposed to be a Raptor. :bang

m33p0
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
"I think we've screwed up a lot of teams' destinies and we have one more to try to do it," said rookie Spencer Hawes, who scored 17 points despite not playing much of the fourth quarter.
western lottery-bound teams have something more to play for this season --- and that is to be the spoilers for playoff-bound teams.

Brutalis
04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe the Kings beat the Lakers.. that would be nice.

Princess Pimp
04-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Pathetic! The Kings without 3 starters and still had a chance to win?

Simply pathetic!

Princess Pimp
04-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Maybe the Kings beat the Lakers.. that would be nice.
Yeah right! ! they are getting spanked just like the spurs last Sunday :lol

spursrule32
04-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Pathetic! The Kings without 3 starters and still had a chance to win?

Simply pathetic!

wow - I just feel sorry for you. Great life you have going for yourself. Read a book; watch some dvd's - I'm sure there's some self help out there to get past that "I'm a dork and I love to get on the internet and try to mess with people" phase. Don't you have any friends that tell you "come on man - that's pretty lame and you need to get a life?" Then again - you probably don't have any friends and that explains your presence here.

Princess Pimp
04-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Just watch the spanking the Kings are getting similar to the one you got last Sunday Ouch!

spursrule32
04-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Just watch the spanking the Kings are getting similar to the one you got last Sunday Ouch!

who taught you how to talk smack - your 5 year old nephew? I think I speak on the behalf of all on this forum - step up your smack. It's weak, tired and not entertaining at all. "Spurs suck" just doesn't deserve any respect, but really I'm pulling for you man. Get it together.