PDA

View Full Version : My truck was stolen and has been found

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
My wife took my truck to work at Ingram last Friday @3:30 PM and got out @6:30PM. Well, it wan't there when she got out. It was stolen at the Macy's parking lot. I freaked out, but wasn't too mad. As long as my pregnant wife was okay, that is all that mattered.

Anyway, I called the cops and the insurance and filed a claim. The cop didn't seem interested at all as this is something common that happens there at Ingram.

Well, he said he would call me as soon as it was recovered. The insurance adjustor told me that he would update me as well.

So, here we are on Tuesday and nothing. So I call the insurance and found out it was recovered on Saturday. I can't believe no one contacted me. I was advised by the lady at the pound that the entire dash was messed up along with the steerin column, the door and window were broken, and a tired/wheel were messed up.

So, who knows what happens next and how it works? Is it worth it to fix? Give me honest answers guys and gals.

JoeChalupa
04-15-2008, 11:01 AM
What does your insurance say? Are they going to pay to fix everything? Or are you better off just getting new one? Do a comparison and see which outcome is the best.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Well, they are going to look at it today, but I just wanted to see if anyone has been through this or knows more about this to share past experiences or whatever. I honestly don't care either way. I haven't seen it. I'll head out there later on today.

BacktoBasics
04-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Find out how much the salvage costs I might be interested in buying it.

What kind of truck was it?

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Its a 2002 Dodge Ram 4x4 fully loaded.

clambake
04-15-2008, 11:07 AM
get rid of it. there's nothing quite like the filthy feeling of driving a car you had stolen.

remingtonbo2001
04-15-2008, 11:08 AM
From personal expierence, I'd get take the check and get a new vehicle.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Isn't that up to the insurance though??? I don't like the thought if driving my truck after its been stolen and mishandled. However, if the insurance decides they can repair it, isn't it my only option.

clambake
04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
with any luck, the thieves might have damaged it beyond it's value. make sure to check the frame.

TDMVPDPOY
04-15-2008, 11:20 AM
depending on your contract with ur insurance, they select who the repairer is, or your choice of repairer....

clambake
04-15-2008, 11:21 AM
whats the track record of satisfied customers regarding your insurance co. in this situation?

they'll likely do whatever they can to lowball the amount. make sure to complain about noise, transmission, and make sure to check the frame.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I'll keep that in mind when I go look at it. My poor truck.

clambake
04-15-2008, 11:29 AM
take a concealed blowtorch with you and cut the frame.

BacktoBasics
04-15-2008, 11:33 AM
If you want it totaled key each and every panel on the truck. If it requires full body repair on each panel they'll total it. So go and get your personal belongings out of it and give it a good keying on each side.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-15-2008, 11:34 AM
If you want it totaled key each and every panel on the truck. If it requires full body repair on each panel they'll total it. So go and get your personal belongings out of it and give it a good keying on each side.

Just don't do it at the police lot.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 11:36 AM
LOL at the keying suggestions. If they repair it, I am probably going to sell it.

clambake
04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
you will never feel comfortable in it again.

trust me.

Mixability
04-15-2008, 11:42 AM
As long as my pregnant wife was okay, that is all that mattered.

:tu

Mixability
04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
you will never feel comfortable in it again.

trust me.

I can vouch for this, I had my jeep broken into about 10 years ago, they just took the stereo and jacked up the door handles. I said I'd keep it anyway, but it was traded in within a month.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
The cops finally called me about five minutes ago to tell me that they found it. They said they tried to contact me, but were unable to. Yeah right. I have had my phone by me all the time since then. She said they found it on the 700 block of Santa Monica.

BacktoBasics
04-15-2008, 11:51 AM
LOL at the keying suggestions. If they repair it, I am probably going to sell it.Thats what I did when my Mustang was stolen. I knew I couldn't ever feel the same about it so I made sure they totaled it.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
How do the insurance companies value the vehicles? Thru the Blue Book or something else? Anyone know?

AlamoSpursFan
04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I've never had a car worth stealing.

Kind of a passive anti-theft method...

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-15-2008, 12:03 PM

I gotta believe one of those Frito Lay trucks stacked with chips could bring a pretty penny,

AlamoSpursFan
04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I gotta believe one of those Frito Lay trucks stacked with chips could bring a pretty penny,

True...but your average car-jacker can't drive a 10 speed split shift.

clambake
04-15-2008, 12:07 PM
who's your insurance company?

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 12:10 PM
All State

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-15-2008, 12:12 PM
All State

Hmm... better start praying.

http://detectovision.com/pics/jobu2.jpg

clambake
04-15-2008, 12:18 PM
did you get it through a broker?

AlamoSpursFan
04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Hmm... better start praying.

http://detectovision.com/pics/jobu2.jpg

:lmao

"Hey bartender...JoBu needs a refill!"

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 12:22 PM
No. I've always had them since I was in college.

clambake
04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
do you have replacement value protection?

sa_butta
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
No. I've always had them since I was in college.When can you go look at the truck yourself?? The insurance company will estimate the damage and just determine if is totaled, if it is you better start doing your research otherwise you will get screwed royally. Go and get a KBB estimated value of your truck with all the "fully loaded" features you have also add any aftermarket products that you can provide a receipt or value for. If it is not totaled out then you may be w/o your ride for a bit and hopefully you have rental car/truck provided until you get your truck back to normal.

clambake
04-15-2008, 12:30 PM
start researching the value of identical vehicles with similiar mileage. if they destroyed the dash, id worry about electrical problems, anr switches.

you said it was loaded? leave nothing out when you battle with all state.

AlamoSpursFan
04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
"Mr. White...I'm not sure Rolex makes a radio..."

Heath Ledger
04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
If you have All State you are hosed, they always fuck people.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I am gonna go look at it today around 3:00. I haven't contacted the actual adjustor about where I want the truck taken. The lady with All State advised me to go look at and asses the damage myself and do research myself like you stated Butta. I already contacted my brother-in-law to see how much he thinks it will cost me to fix it. He has his own body shop and I am going to give him all the information on what needs to be fixed.

I looked up the value on the truck on KBB and it was worth $17K as far as retail goes. I've only put around 55K miles on it. The insurance is willing to give me $20 a day for a rental. I honestly don't need one because we have another car.

AlamoSpursFan
04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Maybe they'll send the Kasey Kahne chicks out to assess the damage. The redhead is very lickab...errrr...likeable.

clambake
04-15-2008, 12:43 PM
dash=$
steering column=$
wheel damage (pray for axle damage)=$
door (if its jacked)=$
labor=$

you might get lucky. good luck.

travis2
04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I am gonna go look at it today around 3:00. I haven't contacted the actual adjustor about where I want the truck taken. The lady with All State advised me to go look at and asses the damage myself and do research myself like you stated Butta. I already contacted my brother-in-law to see how much he thinks it will cost me to fix it. He has his own body shop and I am going to give him all the information on what needs to be fixed.

I looked up the value on the truck on KBB and it was worth $17K as far as retail goes. I've only put around 55K miles on it. The insurance is willing to give me $20 a day for a rental. I honestly don't need one because we have another car.

They won't give you retail...

sa_butta
04-15-2008, 12:48 PM

I looked up the value on the truck on KBB and it was worth $17K as far as retail goes. I've only put around 55K miles on it. The insurance is willing to give me $20 a day for a rental. I honestly don't need one because we have another car.If it can actually cover the cost of the rental you should just take it and save a little wear and tear on your own vehicle. You could rent a gas saver for the time you are out a vehicle and save a little money too. But thats just me. Dont forget to add anything you added to that truck beyond the factory. Dont settle for the first offer they give you cause they will low-ball you. You will have to put up a fight. It would actually be easier on you if it is not totaled out.

clambake
04-15-2008, 12:52 PM
If it can actually cover the cost of the rental you should just take it and save a little wear and tear on your own vehicle. You could rent a gas saver for the time you are out a vehicle and save a little money too. But thats just me. Dont forget to add anything you added to that truck beyond the factory. Dont settle for the first offer they give you cause they will low-ball you. You will have to put up a fight. It would actually be easier on you if it is not totaled out.
i agree with everything but the last sentence.

this truck will NEVER be the same.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, I figured the dash and steering column would cost big $$$ because of the labor. I am thinking of getting a Chevy Aveo for a rental. It looks ugly, but I know it saves gas. I don't have a receipt for the side steps nor the tonneau cover because the truck had that when I bought it. The only thing I have a receipt for are the tires and the rims.

clambake
04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
don't take this the wrong way, but i hope it's completely fucked up. trust me on this.

take stock of every imperfection on this truck. inside and out. you will hate having to keep this vehicle.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 01:08 PM
I know. I already dread having to go look at it because I did my best to take care of it. Just to know someone took it and did whatever they want with it makes me upset.

clambake
04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
be sure to come back to this thread, and be more aware of your surroundings at home.

your in socal. if it's gang related, they could have your home address. i'm in socal too.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 01:22 PM
That's why I want to go see it and see if they took any personal items out.

MannyIsGod
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Just feel things out - don't take any one person's advice on here about what to do with the vehicle. Go with how YOU feel in the truck after you see it. Its just a truck and if you're utilitarian about your vehicles then even if it was stolen its just a truck and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable in it.

Now, if you're not just utilitarian - and most people aren't - when it comes to your vehicle then you may not feel comfortable in it no matter what.

I will say this, if they didn't fuck up the engine I really really really think you should keep it and fix the interior. The dash and what not can easily be replaced, but you have a solid truck with ONLY 55k miles on it (pretty fucking amazing for what year it is) which is something you don't want to let go to waste too easily.

Los Spurs
04-15-2008, 01:45 PM
MoSpur, I'm sorry to hear about your truck. I'm just happy to hear that your wife and unborn child are ok. I wish you the best of luck with the insurance company. I've heard some horror stories about AllState but then again your case may be different.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I really don't want to lose it because of the mileage on the motor. Its still fairly new. I've always done the routine maintance on it. Its very dependable, but just that feeling that someone took it and could have possibly ragged it out and what not.

angel_luv
04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I am so sorry to hear about you and your wife's ordeal.

How has she recovered from the whole thing?

I'll pray you make the right decision about what to do with the truck and that everything turns out most favorably for you.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks Angel. My wife is fine and is just wanting to know what is going to happen.

clambake
04-15-2008, 03:14 PM
you're still here!!!

when are you going?

macdude06
04-16-2008, 12:51 AM
So WTF happened?

Los Spurs
04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Hope all went well.

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Well, its nowhere near the same. My tires and rims are gone. My tonneau cover is gone. My CD player and CD changer are gone. My side bars are gone. My driver side window is broken and the driver side door is jacked up. There are some scratches and dings on the driver side. Its very dirty on the inside. They threw everything around like papers, CD covers, and so on.

lebomb
04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Well, its nowhere near the same. My tires and rims are gone. My tonneau cover is gone. My CD player and CD changer are gone. My side bars are gone. My driver side window is broken and the driver side door is jacked up. There are some scratches and dings on the driver side. Its very dirty on the inside. They threw everything around like papers, CD covers, and so on.

My buddies truck got stolen..........someone tried to Dukes of Hazzard jump it somewhere, and when it landed, it destroyed both the front and rear suspension on the truck. It took him almost 1 month to get it fixed properly. He told me the other day that the truck is not the same as it was before. But, the insurance wanted to fix it, instead of totaling it out. Cost of the repairs?? $20,000.............that sux.

If my car ever get stolen, I pray its never found. :depressed

Los Spurs
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that. :depressed

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 09:41 AM
I was gonna take pictures, but the battery on the camera was dead. LOL

Its looks nothing like my truck. Its gonna be picked up today and be taken to the body shop. The body shop guy said its 50/50 as far as his opinion on whether it will be totaled out by the insurance.

Das Texan
04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Nobody would jack my very first car, I basically gave an open invite to do so, leaving the keys in the ignition, windows down, etc. Fuckers.

Nobody will jack the truck I have right now neither, 81 F150. I dont even know if the locks work. :lol

Anyway sucks to hear that your truck got jacked. Shit happens when you trick it out though.

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
I didn't trick it out too much though. All I did was buy the rims and tires. The side bars and tonneau cover were on there already when I bought it.

Das Texan
04-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I didn't trick it out too much though. All I did was buy the rims and tires. The side bars and tonneau cover were on there already when I bought it.

rims and tires are big ticket items though.

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
rims and tires are big ticket items though.

True. We'll see what happens.

clambake
04-16-2008, 10:30 AM
what about the dash?

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
The steering column and dash are jacked up because they took my CD player.

sa_butta
04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I didn't trick it out too much though. All I did was buy the rims and tires. The side bars and tonneau cover were on there already when I bought it.Still adds value and would have to be replaced if they were there before.

sa_butta
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I didn't trick it out too much though. All I did was buy the rims and tires. The side bars and tonneau cover were on there already when I bought it.Just curiuos what size/type of rims and tires you had??

clambake
04-16-2008, 10:49 AM
man.....i hope they total it.........or you find a way to persuade them to do so.

Is it leather interior? maybe you overlooked something and need to get back inside wearing baseball cleats.....if you know what i mean.

lebomb
04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey.....I have a few items I would like to unload.

CD player $35
CD changer $50
Tires and Rims for a truck......dodge bolt pattern $200 for all.

sa_butta
04-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey.....I have a few items I would like to unload.

CD player $35
CD changer $50
Tires and Rims for a truck......dodge bolt pattern $200 for all.Not cool.

lebomb
04-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Not cool.

.....................I know. Bad Joke.....sorry.

:depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 11:13 AM
It had leather interior. The tires were 20in and the rims too. I have pictures of the truck just in case the insurance wants to see proof of all the things I had on it.

clambake
04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
did all state choose the body shop?

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
No. I chose it.

clambake
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
has a claims adjuster seen it yet?

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Nope. The appraiser will either go today to the shop or tomorrow.

clambake
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
are you going to be there? shouldn't you be there? can you arrange to be there?

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think I need to be there. He'll call me and let me know what they thought. I will go from there.

clambake
04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
sucks. good luck. keep posting info.

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Slydragon
04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
700 block of Santa Monica?

I am guessing the parking lot of Edison H S. that's the only large lot there.

clambake
04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
he said it was macy's parking lot.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Not cool.

I disagree. T'was funny.

AlamoSpursFan
04-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I lol'ed.

clambake
04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
what say all state?

clambake
04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
bump. any word on the outcome?

MoSpur02
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I got word last week that All State would pay for everything. The claims appraiser was very cool. He dished out a lot of money to cover my wheels and tires and tonneau cover. I was cool with that and was willing to drive it again to see how it would feel. The estimate not including the steering column, ignition cylinder, dash, and other wiring was around $8000.

Fiesta Dodge sent the estimate to the shop for the dash, steering column, iginition cylinder, dash, carpet, and other little wiring @ $5500. The appraiser didn't like that and said that they might total it out after all.

Mixability
04-24-2008, 11:07 AM
I got word last week that All State would pay for everything. The claims appraiser was very cool. He dished out a lot of money to cover my wheels and tires and tonneau cover. I was cool with that and was willing to drive it again to see how it would feel. The estimate not including the steering column, ignition cylinder, dash, and other wiring was around $8000.

Fiesta Dodge sent the estimate to the shop for the dash, steering column, iginition cylinder, dash, carpet, and other little wiring @ $5500. The appraiser didn't like that and said that they might total it out after all.

Did your username get stolen too?

clambake
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
pray for total. you might have a small loss, but it will be worth it. good luck and let us know.

MoSpur02
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Did your username get stolen too?

:lmao

Apparently

MoSpur02
04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
pray for total. you might have a small loss, but it will be worth it. good luck and let us know.

I'll find out tomorrow or Saturday. The insurance guys got to go to Fiesta Dodge and do some research to see if they can lower the costs.

marini martini
04-24-2008, 11:54 AM
The insurance guys got to go to Fiesta Dodge and do some research to see if they can lower the costs.

Sounds like the insurance guys & the Dodge guys will be having a 3 martini lunch, on your dime:toast

What the heck, do the insurance guys need to physically go over there, for????????:dizzy:dizzy:dizzy

MoSpur02
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Sounds like the insurance guys & the Dodge guys will be having a 3 martini lunch, on your dime:toast

What the heck, do the insurance guys need to physically go over there, for????????:dizzy:dizzy:dizzy

To talk to the service guys about the repairs and parts. I think they can do it over the phone, but who knows. It drags the situation out longer, but I am in a rental and not using my other. Its an SUV. I think they only cover the rental for 30 days. We're on day six I think.

Agitator
04-24-2008, 12:48 PM

Darn tootin.

I don'f feel sorry for owners of new mustangs...

MoSpur
04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Who is that MoSpur02 guy? J/K.

I kind of hope they actually repair my truck because of the low miles I have on it.

BacktoBasics
04-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Who is that MoSpur02 guy? J/K.

I kind of hope they actually repair my truck because of the low miles I have on it.
Do yourself a huge a favor and make absolutely sure they are direct factory replacement parts not generic cheaper aftermarket foreign parts. This will be the difference between it all fitting and working properly for a lifetime vs. shit wearing out and needing all kinds of modification and trimming at a reduced cost.

MoSpur
04-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh yeah. I told the appraiser that I did not want foreign parts. I explained the truck didn't have that when it was stolen and if repaired its not gonna have foreign parts.

MoSpur
04-25-2008, 02:01 PM
I talked to All State. The guy said that the latest supplement estimate came in really high. He stated he doubts that the truck will be repaird because of these additional charges. I should hear something definite today if not tomorrow.

clambake
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
whats the verdict?

MoSpur
04-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Talked to All State a couple of hours ago. The guy said they are going to total it out. I will know how much some time tonight.

SPORTSMOKER
04-28-2008, 02:54 PM
My name is Bob a Yellow Cab driver working through all New York city, meeting a lot of new people and been helpful or trying to do so, few weeks ago, in my way from Manhattan to JKK airport, something very funny happened to me, as a cigars smoker always out from the cab or with the windows open, having one of my previous cheap cigars a taxi passenger saw me and offered me as a present to share one of his good, mean excellent quality cigars, after that, I got really impress with the difference. We smoked together, really enjoying the pleasures found in a wonderful cigar, after that and all the way in the road until we reach the airport my new friend Bill , told me the smart and easy way that he use to get his Habanos. As soon as left my new friend ready to his fly departure, I went in the same International Terminal Area to a computer and placed and order at Solocigars.com, to start enjoying my own , often regarded as the best Habanos in the world, Partagas Lusitania, that offers a full bodied taste which has become less powerful in recent years. For many smokers, it is the indisputable number one. If you have scaled all the heights of the art of smoking, where you dare salt hen, from that moment, you will not want to know anything about the others. It is the Habano per excellence of great events, public or private. Giving yourself a Lusitania from Partagas the pleasure to smoke one of the best cigars in the world..
Less than 2 weeks after run at the airport to order at Solocigars.com, at my door house, got my cigars found it apart from my Habanos, timeliness, good prices and a really helpful staff ready to pleased me not only with the service and knowledge, with the many brands and choices they give to the smokers Community.
Something to don’t forget from this trip between this crowded city and the JFK, definitely is that due to my passenger and new friend , found a way to get cigars in perfect conditions with the same quality of the original brand , without pay customs taxes or fares and with a very good shipping service and cost. Solocigars.com, the smartest and best way to do it, and placing an order over two hundreds dollars, didn’t have to pay for shipping and handling of my order. Just like I didn’t get enough from my website

clambake
04-28-2008, 05:34 PM
My name is Bob a Yellow Cab driver working through all New York city, meeting a lot of new people and been helpful or trying to do so, few weeks ago, in my way from Manhattan to JKK airport, something very funny happened to me, as a cigars smoker always out from the cab or with the windows open, having one of my previous cheap cigars a taxi passenger saw me and offered me as a present to share one of his good, mean excellent quality cigars, after that, I got really impress with the difference. We smoked together, really enjoying the pleasures found in a wonderful cigar, after that and all the way in the road until we reach the airport my new friend Bill , told me the smart and easy way that he use to get his Habanos. As soon as left my new friend ready to his fly departure, I went in the same International Terminal Area to a computer and placed and order at Solocigars.com, to start enjoying my own , often regarded as the best Habanos in the world, Partagas Lusitania, that offers a full bodied taste which has become less powerful in recent years. For many smokers, it is the indisputable number one. If you have scaled all the heights of the art of smoking, where you dare salt hen, from that moment, you will not want to know anything about the others. It is the Habano per excellence of great events, public or private. Giving yourself a Lusitania from Partagas the pleasure to smoke one of the best cigars in the world..
Less than 2 weeks after run at the airport to order at Solocigars.com, at my door house, got my cigars found it apart from my Habanos, timeliness, good prices and a really helpful staff ready to pleased me not only with the service and knowledge, with the many brands and choices they give to the smokers Community.
Something to don’t forget from this trip between this crowded city and the JFK, definitely is that due to my passenger and new friend , found a way to get cigars in perfect conditions with the same quality of the original brand , without pay customs taxes or fares and with a very good shipping service and cost. Solocigars.com, the smartest and best way to do it, and placing an order over two hundreds dollars, didn’t have to pay for shipping and handling of my order. Just like I didn’t get enough from my website

do us a favor and fuck up some other thread.

MoSpur
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I finally got a definite answer. They are going to total it out. I will be getting a check tomorrow. So that's the way the cookie crumbled.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
I finally got a definite answer. They are going to total it out. I will be getting a check tomorrow. So that's the way the cookie crumbled.
This is a perfect opportunity for you to buy a badass classic musclecar for straight up cash. Don't miss an opportunity to own a piece of history.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/knight4him/70HemiCuda.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll107/nickoslicko1991/camero.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/ganief/10.jpg

MoSpur
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Love that camaro.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Love that camaro.Good quality strong running cars are not that high priced. Cheap to work on and most get well above 18 mpg. Plus you aren't required to pass emissions.

Check here most of these are under 23k

There is a nice white 68 for only 19,900

http://www.justmusclecars.com/

As of recently I only buy older cars. Been one of the better decisions I've ever made. They never lose value.

clambake
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
with a pregnant wife, the camaro might not be a practical choice.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
with a pregnant wife, the camaro might not be a practical choice.or it might be more practical. I've never understood the stigma surrounding a well restored vehicle. Far less maintence and reliability issues. When something shits on a new car its quite the production. When something shits on an older car its a thousand times easier to diagnose and even easier to fix. Yes a car seat fits in the back of a Camaro if needed.

clambake
04-29-2008, 01:43 PM
the wife might have something to say.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
the wife might have something to say.Selective hearing comes to mind. A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

clambake
04-29-2008, 02:14 PM
a two door with a baby is a giant pain in the ass.

Mixability
04-29-2008, 02:14 PM
A camaro for a guy with a wife and kid on the way, cmon.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I'll give you an example

Chevy 350 water pump 60 bucks

http://www.hdmaddog.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/32166/vpid/3679370/vpcsid/0/rid/125469

any moron could install this in two hours tops

Acura water pump

115 bucks

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQAcuraQQRLQQASCO-fs-AisinQQWater_PumpQQ20052007QQW0133-1709788.html

At least two hours of labor 150 bucks. Tons of shit needs to be removed to acess the pump. Sure you might have a warranty but you might not and even then with a warranty they love to find shit to charge you for above and beyond.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 02:18 PM
A camaro for a guy with a wife and kid on the way, cmon.
So they only have one vehicle? My wife drives a grocery getter and carts the kids around. Then we have our old project truck under restoration and a 79 Corvette. It works.

clambake
04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
why the concern about waterpumps? are you not telling us everything?

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
GTO and Charger are huge cars with massive back seats too.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
why the concern about waterpumps? are you not telling us everything?

clambake
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
frankly, i wouldn't change a flat.

MoSpur
04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
i would not mind a camaro, but I doubt I would be able to get one. Maybe later down the line. My wife has a Volvo. Its a four door, but the back seat area is tight. Hardly any room. We have to get rid of that and will probably get a little SUV for her. I need a truck. I like trucks because they are handy. I want a V6 though. I am tired of putting $70 and having to refill it four days later. We'll see.

clambake
04-29-2008, 02:29 PM
i would not mind a camaro, but I doubt I would be able to get one. Maybe later down the line. My wife has a Volvo. Its a four door, but the back seat area is tight. Hardly any room. We have to get rid of that and will probably get a little SUV for her. I need a truck. I like trucks because they are handy. I want a V6 though. I am tired of putting $70 and having to refill it four days later. We'll see.

you hear that, B2B? time to whip out some el camino pictures!

MoSpur
04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
you hear that, B2B? time to whip out some el camino pictures!

True that.

clambake
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
you should get a Studebaker. you know, with the airplane front end.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Hold on I'll locate something for you pal.

MoSpur
04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
A close friend of mine restored an old Chvey. I think he said 1963. It looks really nice. I don't like the Red too much, but it looks really good. He's asking $6500. I could buy it, but I doubt the wife would agree.

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
http://www.oldchevytruck.com/trucks7/zb.htm

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/Trailer21/truck.jpg

doesn't get any better than this.

Depending on the restoration quality 6500 seems solid.

CuckingFunt
04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
you should get a Studebaker. you know, with the airplane front end.

I loooooooooooooove those.

MoSpur
04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Its more like this one, but in red.

http://www.lmctruck.com/assets/customer-pictures2/cbe63-stepside-gene-s-sc.jpg

BacktoBasics
04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Its more like this one, but in red.

http://www.lmctruck.com/assets/customer-pictures2/cbe63-stepside-gene-s-sc.jpg
If its done right then great if you need to put some money in it then so what it's still a lot cheaper than what a new truck costs. Again: It will never depreciate on you.

6,500 truck

6k signature loan to finish it out if needed. Bam you got a 20k if not more truck for half the cost. Do yourself a favor and find out what kind of condition its in.

remingtonbo2001
04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Since we're on the subjects of vehicles, I got a question B2B.

What would you suggestions would you make for my next vehicle? Up to now I've been driving a 2001 Mazda B-2500. It gets 35MPG, but it's already got close to 200,000. You mentioned older vehicles requiring less maintance, but how is the reliability if they are being used on a daily basis?

clambake
04-30-2008, 10:32 AM

What would you suggestions would you make for my next vehicle? Up to now I've been driving a 2001 Mazda B-2500. It gets 35MPG, but it's already got close to 200,000. You mentioned older vehicles requiring less maintance, but how is the reliability if they are being used on a daily basis?

they're not really for driving (apparently the waterpumps blowup).

they're for putting in a pretty place and rubbing them with diapers.

BacktoBasics
05-01-2008, 08:59 AM

What would you suggestions would you make for my next vehicle? Up to now I've been driving a 2001 Mazda B-2500. It gets 35MPG, but it's already got close to 200,000. You mentioned older vehicles requiring less maintance, but how is the reliability if they are being used on a daily basis?I'm not sure I completely understand your question. For starters I would drive that Mazda until the wheels fall off. In the mean time you can always start looking around for whatever it is that you like. As far as the reliable aspect of it....so long as it put together properly you shouldn't have to touch the car/truck just like you wouldn't have to touch or shouldn't have to touch a newer vehicle.

The differences being that the classic car, as long as you take care of it, will never lose value. There is no depreciation. If you put 150k miles on the motor and transmission simply replace or rebuild them and keep on going. New cars are built with a shelf life and you can't rebuild the motor on most new cars its just not cost effective.

It cost me about 1,400 bucks to rebuild the transfer case and transmission in my 97 F-150. Well a new transmission for a 55 Chevy/Ford would have only costed me 1k. Cheaper to fix and maintain and you never lose value. It just makes sense.

Plus these days banks will loan on classics just like they do new cars. Most banks will even offer up to 60 months too.

clambake
05-01-2008, 09:52 AM
B2B, got any pictures of a 64/65 lemans gto with the over/under headlights?

BacktoBasics
05-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Do you mean like this?

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/CamaroChuck/66_LeMans.jpg

you know there is one sitting in a salvage yard about 10 minutes from my house. I stoped and looked it over and it seems pretty restorable. I'm a big fan of those cars. Considered by some to be the very first true Muscle Cars.

clambake
05-01-2008, 10:11 AM
nice cars, but the stock transmissions were for shit. the ragtops are pretty cool, also.

BacktoBasics
05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
nice cars, but the stock transmissions were for shit. the ragtops are pretty cool, also.
I'm not all that familar with what Pontiac did back then. I'm not a numbers matching kind of guy either so I doubt I'd stick with whatever stock arrangement they had. They looked good though. I just can't bring myself to ever want a soft top. Just not my style but I did come across a really nice Charger with a vinyl top yesterday.

clambake
05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
i bought a hardtop the first day we got here from belfast. a little sloppy ride but lots of power and charm. had to fight the wife over it. i needed the jaws of life to pry her out of the drivers seat.

BacktoBasics
05-01-2008, 10:27 AM
i bought a hardtop the first day we got here from belfast. a little sloppy ride but lots of power and charm. had to fight the wife over it. i needed the jaws of life to pry her out of the drivers seat.got any pictures? The car too?

clambake
05-01-2008, 10:29 AM
got any pictures? The car too?

nope, just good memories. it was a silverblue.

remingtonbo2001
05-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks B2B. You answered my question.