PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel right now compare to last year

carib
04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Last year around this time I was like yes we are ready to make that big push into the Playoffs, and do big things and can win it all.

But this year the West looks real stack and it’s going to be a real dog fight and there are no real under dogs or favorites to come out of the West and the Spurs do have a few Key injuries.

So when we repeat this year this will be the best out of all, because the field is so wide open for any one to take it, without home court and a old team what they called us.

xtremesteven33
04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
the Spurs are ready to explode....they have the most energy out of every team and they have the most experience and they have the best playoff road record.....

they are still the favorites....

mexicanjunior
04-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I felt much better about our chances last year. Eventhough I had some worry about the Mavs having homecourt and losing to them in '06, I still felt the Spurs were playing very well to end the season and we were totally healthy. Also, I liked our matchups against any of the West teams because I knew none of them played defense as well as we did...This year, with our recent play against good teams and health, I am more just hoping for the best but expecting the worst...

Loose Cannon
04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
I feel fine. The Spurs are about to fuck some shit up.

bus driver
04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I feel the same way, i have always felt about the spurs since i started watching in the mid 80's.......this is our year!

:lobt2: :flag: :lobt2:

DDS4
04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
The least optimistic in recent memory.

On paper, we should kick ass because it's essentially the same team as last year. But injuries and recent play has dampened my optimism.

lefty
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Spurs will fucking repeat

Book it

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm being honest. I felt better about their chances last year than I do this year. They've been in an offensive slump. Injuries to Horry, Brent, and Manu also bring my hopes down a bit.

I still have all the hope that they will repeat though.

sa_butta
04-15-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm being honest. I felt better about their chances last year than I do this year. They've been in an offensive slump. Injuries to Horry, Brent, and Manu also bring my hopes down a bit.

I still have all the hope that they will repeat though.pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

BiZNicK
04-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm still confident. Regular season Spurs and playoff Spurs aren't the same. Watch out for the Spurs. They're not the champs of the regular season, they're the champs of the playoffs, remember that!

Spurs1234
04-15-2008, 12:14 PM
hindsight is always 20/20, people say, oh I wasnt too worried about last year now, because we ended up winning the title and besides PHX, it was not too many nail bitter games. But i remember last year, the thoughts of playing a better DEN team than in 2005, the suns on the road and most likely the mavericks on the road in the WCF, seemed pretty daunting. Esp. since the mavs owned us last year and the suns were at their very best ever. The only concern i have, for any western team, is the finals. Where as in years past, the western team had homecourt and was a signficantly better team, this year they wont have homecourt and are not that much better. It used to be the finals for the spurs was in the second round, I actually think the second round, except for 2005 was really the de facto finals in those three champ. seasons. No HC in the finals puts alot of pressure on winning your middle three games. It would be interesting to see how the spurs handle that, lets hope we atleats get to see that.

Fabbs
04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
2006 looked great, title seemed ours for the taking
2007 looked somewhat iffy, turned out great.

Therefore I'm hoping 2008 we flip the switch once playoffs start.
Sounds like Horry is very iffy, that hurts.
If Poppycock uses the right lineups we have a good chance.
I'm feeling pretty good.

daslicer
04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Honestly I didn't think this team would win the title last year. I was thinking most likely they would go out in round 2 or the WCF. They just didn't look too go to me even when they went on that streak to end out last year. I feel about the same this year which is I'm not expected much out of this team but I'm still optmistic if a few variables go the right way they could win it all.

101A
04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Last year - at THIS time?

There was a 67 win team that had knocked the Spurs out of the playoffs not 11 months earlier that looked hungry and was built to beat the Spurs.

This year?

Not a single obstacle as large as that.

J.T.
04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Last year I felt like the team was on a mission with something to prove. I really wanted us to play the Mavs last year because I think the Spurs unit that entered the playoffs would have beaten them. This year, especially lately, the Spurs seem to have lost the mental toughness that made them so unbeatable in the past. Falling behind in the second half, not being able to hold onto the lead, etc. The Spurs have let teams outplay them that have no business outplaying them. This year I don't feel to confident going into April. If the Spurs win the title this year it won't be without a great deal of luck.

Luckily for us fans, Duncan and Ginobili are gamers that step up huge in the playoffs. If Parker continues his recent hot streak, I think we can beat anyone in the West.

ChumpDumper
04-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I gave up on them about the same time last season.

DarrinS
04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I didn't think they would win last season. I don't think they'll win this season.

Maybe I'll be wrong twice.

Oh, Gee!!
04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Definitely felt better last year

jag
04-15-2008, 01:42 PM
They were playing with a different mindset last year...When they won they won big and when they lost they still played hard. This year has just felt different.

easjer
04-15-2008, 01:43 PM
I felt better last year, though very worried about Denver and possibly the Mavs.

This year . . . I stand by my team and will cheer them on until the buzzer ends the last game of the season (though it'll be telepathically if the games get too stressful), but I haven't seen enough to show me they are ready or that there is a mythical flip to switch. I've never bought that the Spurs turned it up magically in the playoffs - they peaked at the right times, starting with building momentum in March. They haven't done that this year, and it's bad year to be mediocre. Mediocre doesn't get you out of the conference or an easy ride in the Finals, not this year.

But there have been flashes of brilliance out of the Spurs, and if the bring three bring their A games - I think they can put up a pretty damn good fight. It's not going to be easy this year - this is no major upset seeding in the conference this year. Any team is about as good as any other and could feasibly win.

hater
04-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I am back from wondering the desert aimlessly for 2 days. I am back a beleiver. Spurs will go Spartan in the playoffs!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-15-2008, 01:57 PM
This year it just feels unpredictable. They either look really competent, even elite against modest to pretty good teams. Other times, they'd fall asleep in a quarter or two.

hopefully the Spurs pull a Keyser Söze on the rest of the league, and they've been two steps ahead of the teams the whole time...resulting in team massacres of epic proportions.
resulting in a 16-0 run with the playoff version of an already stellar regular season Manu leading the slaughter. :dizzy :lol

Budkin
04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
I feel the same. I like our chances very much.

boutons_
04-15-2008, 02:05 PM
"Not a single obstacle as large as that."

No external obtacle. The biggest obstacle is the Spurs, plus injuries.

RashoFan
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
85% strong in the conviction that Spurs will prevail and get their first B2B Championship, 15% scared...

Expecting the best, preparing for the worst.

RandomGuy
04-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I think the Spurs still have a great chance at winning it all.

I am somewhat less confident of that than last year.

That said, I am constantly amazed at the team's ability to pull things out of the jaws of defeat.

I have watched plenty of games where, going into the fourth quarter, I was thinking "no way they are going to pull this out of their ass", and they just rallied and won.

I guess the same goes for the playoffs. Taken as a whole the Spurs are still as solid as ever.

Pop is still coach, Duncan is still Duncan, etc.

dav4463
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Last year it was already written in stone that the mavericks were going to win easy. Then, along came Golden State!

td4mvp21
04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Much less confident than last year.

However, we've gone into the playoffs the past 2 repeat tries playing really well and that did us nothing. So I don't think the outcome of the playoffs are going to depend on how the Spurs are playing right now.

Hillcrest
04-15-2008, 03:03 PM
unless popovich is seriously just saving the team for the playoffs right now because we are the best at the whole playoffs game, to experiment, to avoid injuries, to warm up certain players, which is all justifiable, i am less confident than last year.

i don't think we've been playing that well, especially offensively. our opponents are loaded this year also. even after the western bloodbath, we'll still have to beat the celtics.

kg is my mvp. they kicked the western conference's ass too. we're definitely going to need some breaks.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I'd feel better about the post season if Fatty and the Suns weren't our likely first round opponent.

I think the Spurs can get themselves on a playoff hot streak, but opening against a team custom built to beat us could be tough for a team with a lot of key guys coming off injury.

DAINTX
04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Optimistic, but not as confident as in the past. Look, the Spurs better play with much more aggressiveness and consistency than they have over the past 4-6 weeks or they will be out of the playoffs early. That said, they are capable of turning it up.

Bruno
04-15-2008, 03:35 PM
After what happened in 2006 and 2007, I have quite given up at trying to predict Spurs' success in playoff based on their regular season.

As a fan, I'm fearing the worst and hopping the best. Even if I think Spurs have a very good team this year, I think that losing in the first round this year is a strong possibility. Right now, I'm just in wait and see mode.

Borosai
04-15-2008, 04:20 PM
There's too much parity in the West to start guessing who will win. If the Spurs play up to their potential, they can beat anyone, but they have been playing like ass lately. It all depends on which team shows up in the next few weeks.

ThomasGranger
04-15-2008, 04:30 PM
This time last year it seemed like Phoenix and Dallas were going to be the biggest hurdles, but the road is a real minefield now. Still, I like the Spurs' chances and view them as slight favorites if Manu and Barry are healthy.

Shaolin-Style
04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Doubt fucks everything. Take a foundation, no matter how strong, sprinkle generously with doubt, and watch it crumble. The spurs? They're unfuckwithable. Not Horry's knee, not Manu's groin, and certainly not the many men that wish bad intentions on them can stop them. They rise up, not like the 95 bulls, but like the zombie corpse of Michael Jordan. This bank shot is for you.

michaelwcho
04-15-2008, 04:51 PM
After what happened in 2006 and 2007, I have quite given up at trying to predict Spurs' success in playoff based on their regular season.

As a fan, I'm fearing the worst and hopping the best. Even if I think Spurs have a very good team this year, I think that losing in the first round this year is a strong possibility. Right now, I'm just in wait and see mode.

I'm with you. Last year, I thought we were through--too old and unathletic. I didn't like our chances against either Denver or the Suns. And I was sure Detroit was going to come out of the East to mess with us.

In '06, I didn't think we had the horses to hang with Dallas, and turned out to be right. If you think of it, if the refs hadn't been cooperative, we wouldn't even have been in that series. Timmy got a lot of calls (which he deserved) which, this season, it seems he's not getting.

But who the heck knows. I think we have an equal shot at least to any Western Conference team. I think Detroit and Boston have a bit of an edge on all of us because of wear and tear issues.

thispego
04-15-2008, 04:53 PM
i feel more confident this year

timvp
04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
In '06, I didn't think we had the horses to hang with Dallas, and turned out to be right. If you think of it, if the refs hadn't been cooperative, we wouldn't even have been in that series.:dizzy

That might be the oddest two sentences in SpursTalk history.

timvp
04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Oh and for the record, I'm about the same confidence level I was last year. Spurs fans can pretend they knew all along last year but most Spurs fans were apprehensive going into the playoffs. In fact, more Spurs fans gave up last year than have given up this year.

It's not looking great for the Spurs right now but all they need to do is get on a roll. Whether they can get on that roll quick enough in the playoffs is my main concern. If the Spurs can get out of the first round, I like their chances. But getting out of the first round is going to be one of the biggest challenges of the Tim Duncan era. A rusty, not in rhythm squad going against either the Suns or Jazz is a tall order.

If they can survive the first round, I think their overall chances become much better.

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Oh and for the record, I'm about the same confidence level I was last year. Spurs fans can pretend they knew all along last year but most Spurs fans were apprehensive going into the playoffs. In fact, more Spurs fans gave up last year than have given up this year.

It's not looking great for the Spurs right now but all they need to do is get on a roll. Whether they can get on that roll quick enough in the playoffs is my main concern. If the Spurs can get out of the first round, I like their chances. But getting out of the first round is going to be one of the biggest challenges of the Tim Duncan era. A rusty, not in rhythm squad going against either the Suns or Jazz is a tall order.

If they can survive the first round, I think their overall chances become much better.

Agreed they are going to have to find themselves in a tough 1st rd series. Timmy needs to shine here and show why he is an all time great. He has got to come with his A game and help the Spurs overcome these issues and then hopefully the rest will start falling into place.

michaelwcho
04-15-2008, 05:34 PM
:dizzy

That might be the oddest two sentences in SpursTalk history.
Am I misremembering? I seem to remember that Duncan was hobbling, yet dominated and got plenty of calls.

Also, that Devin Harris' speed was dominating us, and Terry didn't miss.

remingtonbo2001
04-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Remember, the years in which we've had easy 1st round opponents, we've struggled the following round, i.e. Grizzlies.

Honestly, I'd prefer the Suns. I think they'd be a tougher matchup than Houston, but wouldn't be as much of a physical drain as the Jazz might be.

nfg3
04-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Last year I was more confident than this year. But having said that I agree with Timvp about getting on a roll. The Spurs were rolling into the playoffs last year and playing "Spurs" BB but this year I haven't seen that kind of consistency from them. Be it injuries, we're the defending champs scenario or the fact that the WC is so much tougher than last year I've had a hard time figuring out what's up with them. When this team rolls you'd best get out of the way! But will they or if so when are the questions.

This first round is going to be a killer but if we get out of it than I think our experience will be more of a factor. Horry seems to be gone and Barry just needs more PT to get his timing back - but when?. Though Timmy hasn't been as dominant lately this is the playoffs and he has never dissappointed us yet.

And I always remind myself of what happened last year to the Mavs. We've all talked about how tough this WC is so maybe we should expect the unexpected. I'd LMAO if both the Lakers and Hornets got bounced in the 1st round. Don't expect it but that would be hilarious.

sanman53
04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
I cannot doubt a team led by Tim Duncan. Last year, I had confidence in Timmy, but it was the other Spurs who came through, Tony especially. This year, I believe it will be Manu. I am looking for a Manu 'Finals' MVP this year.

m33p0
04-15-2008, 08:43 PM
a little less confident because of the quality of this year's competition. i still believe. i'll feel better (or worse) come playoffs.

Ocotillo
04-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I am less confident that last year. Last year was going to be tough and Phoenix and Dallas were capable of beating us. Heck Utah was dang scary when we met them in the playoffs.

This year the margin for error has narrowed. While it appears Dallas may have slipped they are still capable of winning. Phoenix appears to be the closest any team in the West to being on a roll. Utah looks unbeatable at home. New Orleans has owned us this season. Houston would be scarier if Yao was not out. The Lakers look very strong.

So the rest of the conference has gotten better and what has happened to us?

Robert Horry looks like he will not even be around to pull his clutch playoff shooting.

Manu is dinged up.

Duncan doesn't look as stud like lately but I believe he will be back to form when the playoffs start.

Parker has been spotty the second half of the season but should get back to form in the playoffs.

Barry is rusty. Finley is older. Bowen is Bowen, I'm just waiting for the day he can't keep up with the younger players on the perimeter.

Oberto, sigh........

Kurt Thomas and Ime should be assets in the playoffs.

On the positive side, this team is capable of winning it all if:

1. Play Spurs defense.
2. Manu returns to the form he had earlier in the season.
3. Tony Parker is more aggressive than he has been lately (Sacto excluded)

Even with all that, the rest of the West has caught up and even if you are left standing for the Finals, you will probably have to face a tough Celtic team.

Repeating is a bitch.

urunobili
04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
feeling is similar... i am just a little more uneasy for not having Robert Horry available...

Amuseddaysleeper
04-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Worse than last year, but a little bit better if we can somehow face the Rockets.

Brutalis
04-15-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm around the same as last year, pretty confident. Just this time I am a little more concerned if we will get 100% Spurs and the offense to just do something other than stand there. Create and be more aggressive, and we have it locked up.

I think we'll see Detroit in the Finals. From there I'm just going to buckle up and take whatever happens.

ATXSPUR
04-15-2008, 10:24 PM
not near as confident....

barbacoataco
04-15-2008, 10:57 PM
I am more confident than last year, because the Spurs are now 4 time champions, and they have the same players. For the Spurs to win , their role players will have to step up. Kurt Thomas needs to make that mid-range jumper that he is payed to make.

Lately you hardly ever see Duncan kick out to the open 3-pt when he is double teamed. That is the heart of the Spurs offense.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-15-2008, 11:05 PM
In a DEEP hole.

Thus far, there is no SPAM this year, no switch has been flicked.

Cross your fingers and pray to your Gods, because a repeat will be a miracle at this point with the team playing so poorly and the West so ridiculously stacked.

Princess Pimp
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
One and Done!

L.I.T
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Less confident about the chemistry. More confident that they have the pieces in the mix to win the title.

Based on the last few weeks, less confident about the quality of the trolls.

Spurs rock
04-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Felt better last year.

spursrule32
04-15-2008, 11:57 PM
we haven't been healthy for a while, we haven't been consistent and we will no doubt have the toughest matchups through out the playoffs that we've ever had. That said, if we do get the ring this will be by far our best championship ever.

Princess Pimp
04-16-2008, 12:03 AM
we haven't been healthy for a while, we haven't been consistent and we will no doubt have the toughest matchups through out the playoffs that we've ever had. That said, if we do get the ring this will be by far our best championship ever.
:nope

itzsoweezee
04-16-2008, 12:09 AM
not good, not good at all.

VinnyTestesVerde
04-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Last year around this time I was like yes we are ready to make that big push into the Playoffs, and do big things and can win it all.

But this year the West looks real stack and it’s going to be a real dog fight and there are no real under dogs or favorites to come out of the West and the Spurs do have a few Key injuries.

So when we repeat this year this will be the best out of all, because the field is so wide open for any one to take it, without home court and a old team what they called us.

I'm sorry...this is off-topic, but it's difficult to even count the number of grammatical errors in this post above. It was to the point that I couldn't even focus on what this person was saying. The only thing I know about this thread is that the person who posted this most definitely failed English.

spursrule32
04-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Don't get me wrong - we're not storming into the playoffs, but as a fan I can't wait to see our underdog Spurs pull this off. Yeah, it would be great if we owned everbody and cruised through the playoffs but it would never be as satisfying as griting it out and beating all the odds to win the championship. Can't know how people will regard this year's champion in the future, but whoever it is has to be given props just for getting through one of most evenly matched playoffs ever.

VinnyTestesVerde
04-16-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm serious. Reading this another time makes my mind spin. Don't pose a question to the masses of SpursTalk without knowing English. It's insulting to everyone.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-16-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm serious. Reading this another time makes my mind spin. Don't pose a question to the masses of SpursTalk without knowing English. It's insulting to everyone.

Or you could stop being a turdburger and realise that a lot of people around here don't speak English as a first language. Should they all just go away because of their grammar?

Also, that post was not nearly as incomprehensible as some of the crap I've seen posted here by supposed native English speakers. Some Americans routinely BUTCHER the language.

In other words, you are a wanker, and you certainly don't speak for me or, I suspect, most posters here.

That is all.

Emeyin
04-16-2008, 06:46 AM
To be honest I don't feel good. Possibly even a first round out. :depressed

ca®lo
04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
i honestly dont know what to feel right now.. i just BELIEVE.

i felt so confident last 06 and look what happened.

2007 i had my doubts and they won the whole thing.

as a fan, i just want to believe that the spurs know what theyre doing.

theyve been there. i trust them. they control their own fate.

whatever happens i'll still be a spurs fan.

ancestron
04-16-2008, 09:21 AM
all of your base are belong to us.
SAS ftw.

RandomGuy
04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
It seems the weight of comments is slightly more pessimistic overall.

Interesting study in the "wisdom of crowds".

Don Quixote
04-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Not optimistic at all. Considering that they're looking at Phoenix or Utah in the first round, they might not make it out of that one. Hey! Phoenix might actually get past us!

The Rockets would be a better matchup, but I'm not sold that the Silver & Black beat them either!

And if we do, we still have to face L.A., and we're not beating them this year.

Don Quixote
04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Or you could stop being a turdburger and realise that a lot of people around here don't speak English as a first language. Should they all just go away because of their grammar?

Also, that post was not nearly as incomprehensible as some of the crap I've seen posted here by supposed native English speakers. Some Americans routinely BUTCHER the language.

In other words, you are a wanker, and you certainly don't speak for me or, I suspect, most posters here.

That is all.

Is "wanker" a word they use in New Zealand?

And yes, please go easy on our friends from Brasil, Argentina, and around the world. They are trying their best.
:toast

ambchang
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Remember earlier on in the year, some idiot writer was saying that there is a reasonable chance that the Spurs miss the playoffs? The Spurs are now sitting on the 3rd seed, with a worse case scenario of going 6th at the season's end.

Granted this is not anything to celebrate about, but the point is that the Spurs have proved people wrong in the past.

99, after a 6-8 start, people were calling for Pop's head. After finishing 37-13, the Spurs went on a 15-2 tear in the playoffs for the first championship.

03, everyone picked the Lakers, the Spurs disposed them in 6.

05, Pistons was the team picked to win, in a tough 7 game dog fight, the Spurs came out on top.

07, all year people were talking about the Mavs and the Suns, the Spurs were too old, yada yada yada. 4th in 9.

08, the Spurs, once again, are too old, injuries piled up throughout the season, and people were looking to the Lakers and Celtics as the favourites, with the Pistons, Suns, NO and Utah ranked higher than the Spurs. I don't know how this is going to end, but I am not picking against my Spurs.

Manu_Ginobili
04-16-2008, 12:40 PM

I FEEL OK. EVERY YEAR IS DIFFERENT...

ThomasGranger
04-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Gut-check time

Elraptor
04-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Pretty much the same :D