PDA

View Full Version : A little worried about losing my job friday.

mrose31
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
In November my company had a 10% layoff. Then again in another layoff in January of about 15%. We continue to lose people and have half of the work force we had just a few years ago is gone. Now today the Director who supervised the largest portion of the employees in the building got let go today. There were rumors last week something bad was about to happen last week and now I am trying to figure out if he was fired or layed off. Either way its bad I guess if he was fired there will probably be more layoffs if he quit maybe he knew something bad was coming or he did not want to do what ever the VP's were telling him. I think if anyone in my small department would be let go it would be me because I have been with company longer than any of them get paid a bit more and have the least experience at the current job I just got into.

angel_luv
04-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I pray that you aren't getting let go or if the company intends to, that you find a better paying, more fun job before they get the chance to.

All the best to you!

Evan
04-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Ugh…been there.

The waiting to know was the worst part. If you work for a good company they should already have your unemployment package set up for you and a nice severance payout that will help.

Evan
04-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh and do yourself a favor and ignore rumors and office gossip. They will never help and are probably BS.

florige
04-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Ugh…been there.

The waiting to know was the worst part. If you work for a good company they should already have your unemployment package set up for you and a nice severance payout that will help.

Exactly! Give you something to hold you over until you find something else. Hopefully that won't be the case though.

MoSpur
04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I pray no matter what, that everything will be alright. Just do your work and enjoy it.

remingtonbo2001
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
As a precaution, formulating a plan is always a good idea.

I wouldn't worry, it never does any good. You seem like an intellegent person and from my expierence, intellegent people fair pretty well in our society.

Good Luck.

Spurminator
04-15-2008, 01:41 PM
That's why I always make sure I'm underpaid.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Whisky Dog
04-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Start getting your resume in order and if you have any networking contacts start throwing your name out there and making contact. If not, start looking for positions and contacts.

Dex
04-15-2008, 01:52 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/Curmudgette/bob1.jpg
We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.

Dex
04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Seriously though, listen to the real advice these other people are giving you.

mrose31
04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Well, I found out that he did not quit he was let go. So I am guessing a layoff is coming friday. I got into the more techincal side of the job about 6 months ago because none of them have been affected by layoffs and had more to do with my background. Well, if it does happen one good thing is I have been wanting to move back to the San Antonio area. I live just North of Austin and my family and wife's family all live around San Antonio. We come down every other week or so but we have been wanting to move back to San Antonio especially since her parents bought 50 acres in hill country and they said we could build on part of it. So I have been glancing at jobs I could get around San Antonio but only applied once but it was with the city and they seem to take a long time to get back to you. I was going to leave work early Friday to go to San Antonio and avoid the traffic but now I may stay and see what happens.

BacktoBasics
04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
This sounds like a perfect chance for you to totally meltdown in public.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-15-2008, 02:52 PM
It's only Tuesday so you still have time. If you own any guns (or at least know someone with guns) got have your picture take with them. They can be on the wall, or on a table, or in your hands. The bigger the guns the better. Hang said pictures liberally around your workspace. At some point during the week mention that you're going on a hunting trip this weekend, so you'll have your guns loaded up and waiting for you when you go home on Friday. Then sit back and enjoy the benefits of lifetime employment. Or perhaps a company psych evaluation.

remingtonbo2001
04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
:lol

Evan
04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
It's only Tuesday so you still have time. If you own any guns (or at least know someone with guns) got have your picture take with them. They can be on the wall, or on a table, or in your hands. The bigger the guns the better. Hang said pictures liberally around your workspace. At some point during the week mention that you're going on a hunting trip this weekend, so you'll have your guns loaded up and waiting for you when you go home on Friday. Then sit back and enjoy the benefits of lifetime employment. Or perhaps a company psych evaluation.

So when you wrote that did you think you had comedy gold on your hands?

:wakeup

ploto
04-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Unfortunately, this seems to be happening to more and more people lately with the economy and all. I just hope your company treats you right. Someone I know- the company created bogus goals that could never be met by anyone so then they could fire them all one by one and give them nothing.

Good luck.

ShoogarBear
04-15-2008, 06:48 PM
If it's happening at Dell, you know it's happening lots of places.

PEP
04-15-2008, 08:24 PM
I was wondering how long it was going to take before Bush was blamed. And we have a loser, I mean a winner!!!!

AFBlue
04-15-2008, 09:16 PM
That sucks if it's for real. One piece of advice...

Get a government job, because it takes an act of congress to fire you.

TDMVPDPOY
04-15-2008, 11:28 PM
your redundancy package is income taxable hahahhahaa

samikeyp
04-16-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm not worried about losing mine on Friday.

I lost mine Monday. :depressed

travis2
04-16-2008, 06:31 AM
wth? :wtf

AlamoSpursFan
04-16-2008, 08:27 AM
You know what goes good with a pink slip?

Doritos. Lots and lots of Doritos.

:lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Seriously? Holy shit, Mike, I'm sorry to hear that. What the hell happened?

marini martini
04-16-2008, 10:20 AM

Wow. That stinks, Mike.

SpursWoman
04-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Oh, Mikey ... I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I hope everything works out mrose31, the uncertainty has to be terrible.

mrose31
04-16-2008, 12:24 PM
HR sent an email to everyone around 5:30 yesterday when most of the people have already left and they made it sound like he quit, but a friend of mine talked to him after the fact and he said he was let go. Sorry you lost your job monday. I will update you guys on Friday and see what happens.

curtismedellin
04-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Sorry to hear that dude. I lost my job last October and was lucky enough to be back working in less than 2 months. I wish you all the best in finding a new employer soon.

2Blonde
04-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Wow,
I am so sorry for those of you who lost jobs are are worried about losing them. My prayers go out to you. My husband and I talk about the what-ifs a lot more these days than ever before. At least when he was in the military his employment was guaranteed...just not his safety.

ShoogarBear
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Holy crap. Sorry guys.

Sunshine
04-16-2008, 08:36 PM
My last day at my job was last Friday. Wanted to move me into sales, I said no, and gave my two weeks. There was no where to move me, and the jobs available that I could apply for were all crappy.

Jekka
04-16-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm so sorry, guys :depressed

curtismedellin
04-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Well????

missmyzte
04-18-2008, 09:27 PM

Mike, I am so sorry. That really sucks, best of luck and I hope you find a great job soon...

florige
04-18-2008, 10:08 PM
What the hell Mikey???? That sucks!!!!

easjer
04-18-2008, 11:15 PM
OH, Mikey. I'm so sorry hon. Keeping you in my thoughts.

CubanMustGo
04-18-2008, 11:22 PM
So sorry to those who have lost their jobs. Employers suck more and more and it's just getting worse. I hope you guys can find something quickly, at least the economy in Texas seems to be doing better than the rest of the country.

About a month ago, my boss told me to start looking because they were going to let me go (because I work in the D/FW area instead of a so-called "core location" - no joke, that was the sole reason). A week later, it was "never mind, not only can you keep doing what you're doing but there's something else we'd like you to take on." Today it was "you need to get your butt down to Austin" even though the last discussion was that we'd get to Austin as soon as our house here sold (it's not even ready to put on the market and they knew the timeline). Crap, make up your mind. The people I work with are scattered all over the planet (literally), it doesn't make a damned bit of difference where I work.

angel_luv
04-19-2008, 08:48 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who lost your job, think you might lose your job, or simply want a different one.
All of those situations are trying ones to be in and you have my complete compassion.

BacktoBasics
04-19-2008, 09:44 AM
My last day at my job was last Friday. Wanted to move me into sales, I said no, and gave my two weeks. There was no where to move me, and the jobs available that I could apply for were all crappy.Sales is not all that bad

ashbeeigh
04-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Sales is not all that bad

At West it is.

My last day in Sales is Tuesday. I'm leaving for something better. I'm super stoked.

samikeyp
04-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all the kind wishes. Got some good leads....I will keep you all posted. :)

Heath Ledger
04-19-2008, 07:05 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who lost your job, think you might lose your job, or simply want a different one.
All of those situations are trying ones to be in and you have my complete compassion.

Awww thats so sweet, you are a good person.

Sunshine
04-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Sales is not all that bad

Some people are naturals when it comes to sales. I'm not. I'm 45 years old and have no sales experience. And as Ash said, at West they are that bad! It's cold call selling, for the most part you have to generate your owns leads and in our department (DHL) the sales team is held to a schedule and if you deviate, you can be written up. For example, during a 2 hour block of 'sacred selling', you do nothing but sit at your desk and make dials. You don't open and read email, you don't answer your phone and you don't get up until you absolutely HAVE to. And believe me, the sup will be up cutting you off at the pass asking where you're going and why you're up from your seat. It's THAT bad.

Whisky Dog
04-20-2008, 04:04 PM
I decided 5 years ago to start working towards creating my own business and develop multiple income streams so losing one wouldnt cripple me and I'd have more stability. My work is paying off and I now have 2 income streams (working on 3rd), and my regular "job" usually changes every so often when my employer either pisses me off or tries to strong arm me into something. Since I have the other income stream I have been able to tell any job to fuck off on the spot if necessary and go somewhere else. It's a nice feeling, Im like the kid from American Beauty.

Elraptor
04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
We all know this will never end.