PDA

View Full Version : Jazz At Spurs Preview

duncan228
04-15-2008, 06:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2008041624&prov=ap

Utah (54-27) at San Antonio (55-26)
By MIKE VOTTA, STATS Senior Writer

Edit: For those that missed it, the game time was changed to accomodate ESPN. It starts at 9:30 EST, 8:30 in SA, 6:30 PST.
TV: ESPN, FSSW

Utah only needs a win to clinch home-court advantage for at least the first round of the playoffs - but getting it in San Antonio won’t be easy.

The Jazz will be trying to win a road game against the Spurs for the first time in nearly a decade on Wednesday in the regular-season finale for both teams.

Utah (54-27) has already clinched the Northwest Division title, but is tied with Houston and Phoenix for the fourth-best record in the West. The Jazz beat the Rockets 105-96 in their home finale on Monday, clinching the season series and ensuring they will get home-court advantage in at least the first round of the playoffs with a win over the Spurs (55-26).

“It changes every day, so we’ll see what happens,” said Carlos Boozer, who had 21 points and 11 rebounds in his 51st double-double of the season Monday. “The competition is phenomenal in the Western Conference.”

Home-court advantage would mean a lot to the Jazz, who own the best home record in the NBA at 37-4. Utah, whose home record is its best since going 38-3 in 1996-97, is just 17-23 on the road.

Of course, the Jazz will have to end a 20-game losing streak in San Antonio, including three defeats in last year’s conference finals, if they hope to play their first two playoff games at home. Utah hasn’t won there since a 101-87 victory on Feb, 28, 1999.

“It’s good to be in a predicament where you hold your own destiny,” Utah’s Ronnie Brewer said. “That’s what I like. I don’t like depending on other people.”

The Jazz have won the last two meetings with San Antonio, most recently a 90-64 victory on March 4 as the Spurs matched the lowest point total in franchise history.

“We remember what they did to us a few weeks ago,” San Antonio’s Ime Udoka said.

If Utah wins this matchup, it would tie the Spurs for the third-best record in the West and clinch the season series.

The Spurs can wrap up the third seed with a win, but have dropped three of their last six games, including the defeat against Utah, a 21-point loss to the Los Angeles Lakers and a 17-point home loss to the Suns.

The defending NBA champions are coming off a 101-98 win at Sacramento on Monday.

“It’s been the way we have lost lately, games have been getting away from us,” Udoka said. “We’ve gone through some scoring droughts, so it was good to get over 100 points tonight.”

Tony Parker tied his season high with 32 points and added 11 assists for the Spurs, who have won 50 or more games the past nine years and own the current longest playoff streak with 11 straight appearances. They will be trying to win their fifth NBA championship in 10 seasons.

“Utah is the last game of the season and may be a team we meet in the first round of the playoffs,” San Antonio’s Michael Finley said. “We need to go out and play well and not take steps backward.”

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't really love any of the scenarios for the Spurs in the 1st Rd win or lose this game.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Honeslty if we play the Sun's, i have a bad feeling that it might be a first round exit for us...TD is really intimidated by shaq, simple as that...

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Honeslty if we play the Sun's, i have a bad feeling that it might be a first round exit for us...TD is really intimidated by shaq, simple as that...

Bullshit that is nonsense. Why would even say that?? Was he afraid of Shaq in 2003 when he dropped like 30 a game on the Lakers?? Timmy will own him in a 7 game series.

td4mvp21
04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Duncan has looked like a little girl against Shaq the last two times the Spurs have played the Suns :pctoss

BIG z
04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Bullshit that is nonsense. Why would even say that?? Was he afraid of Shaq in 2003 when he dropped like 30 a game on the Lakers?? Timmy will own him in a 7 game series.

Keyword, 2003, Timmy was 26 years of age....

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Keyword, 2003, Timmy was 26 years of age....

Shaq is 36, he is about 3 steps slower than he once was, enough with this nonsense please?? How the hell could you be a Spurs fan and have this little faith in Timmy for god's sake, that is just not right.

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Duncan has looked like a little girl against Shaq the last two times the Spurs have played the Suns :pctoss

Oh you too, no faith at all huh, come on give Timmy some respect.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Shaq is 36, he is about 3 steps slower than he once was, enough with this nonsense please?? How the hell could you be a Spurs fan and have this little faith in Timmy for god's sake, that is just not right.

Look at his size, help me a little td4mvp21....

Budkin
04-15-2008, 07:21 PM
“We remember what they did to us a few weeks ago,” San Antonio’s Ime Udoka said.

Now this is what I like to hear! Go Spurs Go!

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Look at his size, help me a little td4mvp21....

Yeah you need help because in a 7 game series, Shaq will not even be on Timmy all that much and when he is on him Timmy will have to make him pay and he will do just that. Like i said have a little faith, when has Timmy let us down when it counted, he's led us to 4 rings lets give him some respect here.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah you need help because in a 7 game series, Shaq will not even be on Timmy all that much and when he is on him Timmy will have to make him pay and he will do just that. Like i said have a little faith, when has Timmy let us down when it counted, he's led us to 4 rings lets give him some respect here.

I know Timmy is you favorite player, In 2003, we had David Robinson, if you recall, offcourse timmy is the man, they also have Amare...

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I know Timmy is you favorite player, In 2003, we had David Robinson, if you recall, offcourse timmy is the man, they also have Amare...

And we have Tony and we have Manu and we have the edge mentally over these guys as well. They can win as many reg season games as they want, they have never beat the Spurs when it mattered in the playoffs. They have a lot to prove here.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 07:40 PM
And we have Tony and we have Manu and we have the edge mentally over these guys as well. They can win as many reg season games as they want, they have never beat the Spurs when it mattered in the playoffs. They have a lot to prove here.

We dont have enough big bodies....without horry....but come one man, they have given us real tough time, they do have more playmakers then we do...i dont want to start naming ....

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 07:45 PM
We dont have enough big bodies....without horry....but come one man, they have given us real tough time, they do have more playmakers then we do...i dont want to start naming any....

Well if we play them they are going to have to prove it. I am not ready to hand the Suns the series before it even starts when they have not got it done against the Spurs in the past. Nor am i going to say Timmy can't own a 36 year old shaq in a 7 game series, because i believe he can and will step up.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Well if we play them they are going to have to prove it. I am not ready to hand the Suns the series before it even starts when they have not got it done against the Spurs in the past. Nor am i going to say Timmy can't own a 36 year old shaq in a 7 game series, because i believe he can and will step up.

Timmy is the best, he is the great he is awsome, he is not humnan, you win.....

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Timmy is the best, he is the great he is awsome, he is not humnan, you win.....

As opposed to "Pack your shit up guys we are playing the Suns, they beat us in the Reg season we got no shot at all here" :rolleyes

td4mvp21
04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Duncan looked bothered by and scared of Shaq the last two Suns meetings. Am I the only one that noticed that? :wtf You think it's coincidence Duncan had off nights both of those games? Do you think it's coincidence that Duncan started missing shots both games as soon as Shaq started guarding him? I don't think Tim should be scared of Shaq but obviously Duncan's play tells me something different.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
As opposed to "Pack your shit up guys we are playing the Suns, they beat us in the Reg season we got no shot at all here" :rolleyes

usually we would beat them during regular season most of the times....but i do think that they are the best team in the westren confrence....

BIG z
04-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Duncan looked bothered by and scared of Shaq the last two Suns meetings. Am I the only one that noticed that? :wtf You think it's coincidence Duncan had off nights both of those games? Do you think it's coincidence that Duncan started missing shots both games as soon as Shaq started guarding him? I don't think Tim should be scared of Shaq but obviously Duncan's play tells me something different.

Yeah, i agree....but no give him some respect, like we are bashing the guy....

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 08:00 PM

The body of work of Tim against Shaq should tell you a hell of a lot more than 2 games does. Who is closer to their prime here?? Tim or Shaq?? IF Duncan was great against Shaq in a 7 game series when Shaq was in his prime, he sure as hell will be now, wouldn't you think?? And Tim scared of Shaq. How does that make sense?? Would you be scared of a schoolyard bully you KTFO when he tried to take your lunch money?? Tim has a couple of bad possessions against Shaq and he is suddenly scared of him, uh no not hardly.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 08:02 PM
The body of work of Tim against Shaq should tell you a hell of a lot more than 2 games does. Who is closer to their prime here?? Tim or Shaq?? IF Duncan was great against Shaq in a 7 game series when Shaq was in his prime, he sure as hell will be now, wouldn't you think?? And Tim scared of Shaq. How does that make sense?? Would be scared of a schoolyard bully you KTFO when he tried to take your lunch money?? Tim has a couple of bad possessions against Shaq and he is suddenly scared of him, uh no not hardly.

Tim had David Robinson when Shaq was in his prime, how many time did we get beat, finally in 2003 we got over the hump....

td4mvp21
04-15-2008, 08:04 PM
The body of work of Tim against Shaq should tell you a hell of a lot more than 2 games does. Who is closer to their prime here?? Tim or Shaq?? IF Duncan was great against Shaq in a 7 game series when Shaq was in his prime, he sure as hell will be now, wouldn't you think?? And Tim scared of Shaq. How does that make sense?? Would you be scared of a schoolyard bully you KTFO when he tried to take your lunch money?? Tim has a couple of bad possessions against Shaq and he is suddenly scared of him, uh no not hardly.

Obviously we see two different things. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Tim had David Robinson when Shaq was in his prime, how many time did we get beat, finally in 2003 we got over the hump....

What did Robinson do in 2003 against Shaq?? D-Rob was barely hanging on in 2003. In 2004 we did not lose because of Tim not playing well or being scared of Shaq. The team played poorly along with Fisher's .4 bullshit shot. :bang Those Laker Teams in 01 and 02 were much better teams.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 08:09 PM
What did Robinson do in 2003 against Shaq?? D-Rob was barely hanging on in 2003. In 2004 we did not lose because of Tim not playing well or being scared of Shaq. The team played poorly along with Fisher's .4 bullshit shot. :bang

You will be saying the same thing when duncan is close to retirement....David Robison guarded shaq most of the time.....a great example, David Robinson left and we loss to the Lakers again, despite what you say...

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah, i agree....but no give him some respect, like we are bashing the guy....

I just don't get your reasoning. If in 2003 reg season Tim outplayed Shaq and i said Shaq is scared of Duncan when the Spurs had lost to the Lakers in the playoffs the last 2 years, would that statement make much sense??

dbreiden83080
04-15-2008, 08:11 PM
You will be saying the same thing when duncan is close to retirement....David Robison guarded shaq most of the time.....a great example, David Robinson left and we loss to the Lakers again, despite what you say...

In 2003 Robinson did not guard Shaq much and when he did it was awful ugly.

BIG z
04-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I just don't get your reasoning. If in 2003 reg season Tim outplayed Shaq and i said Shaq is scared of Duncan when the Spurs had lost to the Lakers in the playoffs the last 2 years, would that statement make much sense??

You dont get it dont you, that year we had D Rob and everyone knew it was his last, they wanted it to be a good farewell for him and he gave it his all.Like Gilbert Arenas said, we cant be beated by the same team three years in a row... thats what happened they were tired of ending their season to the Lakers every year.

timaios
04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
If Utah beat Spurs wednesday, then there is 2 games at Utah.
Can Utah win 3 games in a row against Spurs ?

I can't believe that ! :ihit

Girasuck
04-15-2008, 11:37 PM
So we're basically stuck between a rock and a hard place. If we win tomorrow then we get home court but will probably end up playing the Spurs (Suns and Rockets will win their last games) and MUST win the first 2 at home. I just don't see us beating the Spurs 3 in a row. If we lose then we get Houston but have to start the series on the road, then we'll have to play the Lakers in round 2.

Both options really suck for us. If I had to choose I'd take winning tomorrow night and getting the Spurs with home court. If we somehow get past that series we'd get the Hornets or Mavs in round 2. I'd much rather have that matchup in round 2 then the Lakers. I fear the Lakers the most so the longer we go without playing them, the better chance of someone else beating them.

Either way we go looks like we won't get back to the WCF. DAMN IT!!

Princess Pimp
04-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Bring on the sissy spurs!! :hungry:

spursrule32
04-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Bring on the sissy spurs!! :hungry:

Bring on the good smack - you're worthless as a troll. Seriously, saying "y'all suck" is ok maybe the first time but replying to every thread with the same crap is pretty much useless. I'm here to be entertained and you are killing my buzz.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Obviously we see two different things. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

I believe it will work out in the end if they play the Suns. Come on now Spurs looked like shit against the Cavs in the Reg Season last year and how did the finals turn out?? A little faith can go a long way, don't lose faith in the Spurs now, they need our support now more than ever.

duncan228
04-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Spurs.com has Manu not playing. They've been wrong before, I hope they are this time. If he's healthy he needs to play tonight.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080416.html

Edit: For those that missed it, the game time was changed to accomodate ESPN. It starts at 9:30 EST, 8:30 in SA, 6:30 PST.

Probable Starters:

Parker
Guard
18.5 PPG
Finley
Guard
9.9 PPG
Bowen
Forward
6.0 PPG
Duncan
Forward
19.4 PPG
Oberto
Center
4.7 PPG

Injury/Inactive Report
Robert Horry (left knee contusion) is out
Manu Ginobili (mild strain, left adductor) will not play

Spur in the Spotlight
Tony Parker
Tony Parker tied his season high with 32 points and added 11 assists as the San Antonio Spurs beat the Sacramento Kings 101-98 on Monday night.

Did You Know...
Tim Duncan and Utah forward Carlos Boozer were teammates on the 2004 U.S. Olympic team … prior to their game on 1/10/05 the Spurs had won the previous 18 in a row against the Jazz …George Gervin holds the Jazz opponent scoring record when he had 63 points on 4/9/78 … former Jazz great John Stockton holds the Spurs opponent record for most assists in a game, handing out 28 in Salt Lake City on 1/15/91.

duncan228
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8941881

For those that missed it, the game time was changed to accomodate ESPN. It starts at 9:30 EST, 8:30 in SA, 6:30 PST.

Season finale
Utah Jazz: Spurs standing in way of No. 3 seed
By Ross Siler
The Salt Lake Tribune

After a decade, Jazz re-emerge as legitimate NBA title contendersIf only the scenario were as elementary as it sounds for the Jazz, who will claim the Western Conference's No. 3 playoff seed and home-court advantage in their first-round series with a victory over the San Antonio Spurs tonight at AT&T Center.

"That's what everybody would like to have,'' Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "That's what you play for. We're in a position to try to do that and it's up to us to try to take care of business. If we can't do that, we'll see where we land."

Of course, earning the No. 3 seed would require the Jazz to win in San Antonio, something they haven't done since February 1999, dropping 20 consecutive road games to the Spurs, who have won four NBA championships in that time.

It also would require the Jazz to make sense out of a playoff picture that couldn't be more convoluted.

After playing 81 games the last 25 weeks, the Jazz will arrive at the final day of the regular season with eight playoff possibilities in front of them.

Additionally, the Jazz must question if a victory over San Antonio is in their best interest if it leads to a first-round series against the defending champion Spurs. That would be the case if the Jazz win tonight, Houston beats the L.A. Clippers and Phoenix beats Portland.

"We'd look forward to it,'' Carlos Boozer said. "Obviously, to be the best you've got to beat the best. The championship is going to go through San Antonio, if you ask me. So for us, if we have to play them in the first round, we play them in the first round."

If the Jazz, Rockets and Suns all won, they would join the Spurs in finishing 55-27. The Jazz as Northwest Division champions are guaranteed a top-four seed, requiring a head-to-head tiebreaker between the other three teams.

Phoenix went 5-3 in those games, Houston went 4-4 and San Antonio 3-5. As a result, the Suns would join the L.A. Lakers, New Orleans and Utah in receiving a top-four seed, leaving Houston fifth and San Antonio sixth.

The Jazz own the season-series tiebreaker against the Suns, allowing them to claim the No. 3 seed, but with a first-round matchup against San Antonio. In that event, the Jazz would have home-court advantage by winning the season series against the Spurs.

Even if they are 37-4 at home, the Jazz are just a season removed from losing to the Spurs in five games in the Western Conference finals.

"If we aren't good enough to beat them, you should go home," Sloan said. "If you have to play them later on, you'll still go home. The only thing that matters is you've gotten more money because you advanced another round. As far as winning a championship, you're eliminated."

With New Orleans beating the Clippers on Tuesday, the Jazz no longer can claim the No. 2 seed. Out of the eight remaining possibilities, four would have the Jazz playing Houston, three Phoenix and only one San Antonio.

If the Jazz lose tonight, they would play either the Rockets or Suns. The only way they could still claim home-court advantage in the first round with a loss would come if Houston and Phoenix lost as well.

Both the Rockets and Suns are playing at home tonight. The Jazz likely won't know their fate until the end of the Suns/Blazers game, which starts at 8 p.m. MDT.

Although the Jazz control their own destiny, winning in San Antonio has been an impossible dream for nine years now. The Jazz, 17-23 on the road this season, led in the second half before losing 104-98 in their last visit to AT&T Center on Dec. 7.

"It's a tall task. We're all aware of that,'' Boozer said. "They play very good at home, they're a very good home team, especially against us, but we're looking forward to the game."

Mehmet Okur said he felt lucky to have a game against the Spurs as a measuring stick before the playoffs. Matt Harpring said home-court advantage was more important than any matchup. "Whoever we play is not going to want to play us at home," he said.

Deron Williams sat out practice Tuesday to rest his bruised backside but talked after Monday's victory over Houston about the confidence boost that beating the Spurs on the road would provide the Jazz going into the playoffs.

"We haven't had that many good games down there,'' Williams said. "I thought we played well the first time we played down there this season, but they pretty much took care of us in the playoffs last year. We've just got to find a way to win there."

Okur, meanwhile, took one look at a hand-written piece of paper with all the possibilities - Jazz win, Houston loses, Phoenix wins means Jazz play Houston with home-court advantage - and decided he'd had enough.

"It's too complicated to me," Okur said. "It's just so tight, everybody's going to play the last games. We just want to win the ballgame. That's what we're looking for [tonight] and we go from there."

About the Jazz: The Jazz have won nine of their last 11 games, highlighted by victories over San Antonio, New Orleans, Denver and Houston, plus a loss at the buzzer to Dallas, in the last two weeks. The Jazz have lost 17 consecutive regular-season games in San Antonio, plus three games in last year's Western Conference finals. They are 0-13 all-time at AT&T Center. A 55-27 record would be the Jazz's best since the 1999-2000 season.

About the Spurs: The Spurs are 33-7 at home and are coming off a 101-98 victory at Sacramento on Monday. Tony Parker finished with a season-high 32 points and 11 assists while Brent Barry returned after an 80-day layoff with a torn calf. The Jazz have succeeded in slowing Tim Duncan this season, forcing seven turnovers in one game and limiting him to 15 points and 10 rebounds in another game. San Antonio has scored 64, 72, 79 and 85 points in games this month.

TMTTRIO
04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
They just announced on the news that Manu's going to play tonight. I don't expect he'll play that much and he'll probably be pretty rusty but it's good for him to be back.

crc21209
04-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah I just saw it too Manu is playing tonight! Hell yeah!

Corn on the Colb
04-16-2008, 01:06 PM
If Utah beat Spurs wednesday, then there is 2 games at Utah.
Can Utah win 3 games in a row against Spurs ?

I can't believe that ! :ihit

If the Jazz win tonight, that'll make 3 straight...