PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember.....greatness?

RobinsontoDuncan
01-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Do you remember 2003?

Of course you do, that's the year the third best team in basketball won it all, the year that began with heartache and ended with tears of joy.

That was the year that our gratest warrior began his final campaign. We all remember that lazy summer day when he announced his deparure from the battalion, and we all cried inside.

That was the season when they all said the Kings would finally beat the Lakers. Shaq-Kobe was finally going to feel heartbreak. The Spurs were what, the distant third best in the league? The Boston Red Sox or Buffalo Bills of basketball?

Remember the talk of Gregg Popvich losing his job? I do, they called it a "re-building" year. It was time for the changing of the guard. The Spurs didn't even come together until it looked like all was lost. When the season had passed us by and we were beginning a 9 game road trip, against all winning teams. We all thought that all hope was lost.

Perhaps this team needs a 9 game road trip......

T Park
01-17-2005, 10:48 PM
well, the rodeo trip this year is only 7 games.

So I dont know if that is gonna happen.

exstatic
01-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Perhaps this team needs a 9 game road trip......
They won't get one. The rodeo trip is only 7 games this year. Damn the bad luck. ;)

Oh, and you must have seen things differently that I did in '03. When SA went into Staples in '02, took one game handily, and barely lost others in '02, I KNEW they would win it in '03. The '03 Lakers had no answer for the quickness of TP or the towers defense, and we had this new guard coming on board by the name of Ginobili, the Euro finals MVP. At that point, I knew we had someone to keep Kobe busy on both ends of the floor. He'd have to get by Bowen on offense, and realisticly, LA had no one BUT him to guard Ginobili.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-17-2005, 11:07 PM
They won't get one. The rodeo trip is only 7 games this year. Damn the bad luck. ;)

Oh, and you must have seen things differently that I did in '03. When SA went into Staples in '02, took one game handily, and barely lost others in '02, I KNEW they would win it in '03. The '03 Lakers had no answer for the quickness of TP or the towers defense, and we had this new guard coming on board by the name of Ginobili, the Euro finals MVP. At that point, I knew we had someone to keep Kobe busy on both ends of the floor. He'd have to get by Bowen on offense, and realisticly, LA had no one BUT him to guard Ginobili.

you're the only person then, of course we all declare every year that our team is going to win it all but...... who really means it?

SequSpur
01-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Spurs have lost 2 the Rockets and Sonics twice.

They need to make a trade, it ain't happening.

ducks
01-17-2005, 11:15 PM
to bad suns will elminate sonics for spurs
and someone else will beat houston for them

SpursFanInAustin
01-18-2005, 01:27 AM
you're the only person then, of course we all declare every year that our team is going to win it all but...... who really means it?

I too felt that the Spurs had the ingredients to win it all in 03, for the same reason exstatic did. The quickness of Parker, Ginobili adding slashing to the perimeter, and with the draft night trade to acquire Speedy Claxton from the 76ers to spell Parker, and the hard work Stephen Jackson put in the practices of 02 and during the summer leagues to improve his game, I knew 03 was gonna be different from 01 and 02. Add all that to go along with David Robinson announcing his retirement during the end of of 2002 postseason would bring extra motivation for the team to win one last title for him. 2003 was truly a memorable season for me. In fact, I recall the Spurs being mentioned the 4th best team, as all the analysts would list the Mavs ahead of the Spurs, especially after starting 14-0, and before the all-star break, the Trailblazers were also being mentioned ahead of the Spurs by a few. We were like the 5th best team according to the "experts" in my eyes.

violentkitten
01-18-2005, 01:32 AM
you guys are full of shit

RobinsontoDuncan
01-18-2005, 06:28 PM
you guys are full of shit

why's that?