PDA

View Full Version : Rafer Alston out with Injury

Indazone
04-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Don't know if this is good news or bad news. Appears he hurt his hamstring and will be out. Looks like the Aaron Brooks and Bobby Jackson show now.

link to yahoo sports

HOUSTON (TICKER) —Houston Rockets guard Rafer Alston is expected to miss at least one week with a strained right hamstring, the club announced on Tuesday.

After undergoing an MRI earlier at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, tests revealed that Alston has a moderate to severe strain. He sustained the injury in the third quarter of Sunday’s 111-94 home loss to the Denver Nuggets.

Alston’s injury couldn’t have come a worse time for the Rockets (54-27), who are still chasing the Utah Jazz (54-27) for fourth place and home-court advantage in the Western Conference playoffs.

The 6-2 New York playground legend is averaging 13.1 points and 5.3 assists through 74 games this season.

ducks
04-15-2008, 11:52 PM
just gives scola an excuse to suck in big games like he has a habit of doing

DAF86
04-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Like if there wasn't enough reasons to play the Rockets in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Solid D
04-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Rafer plays better perimeter defense than Brooks or Jackson. I hope he's not hurt too badly...just because it would be a shame. His individual talent offensively has always been there but Rafer has really put a great deal of effort into improving his "team" play the past 2 seasons.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-15-2008, 11:55 PM
oh man

please lord, let the clippers beat the rockets tomorrow

Roxsfan
04-15-2008, 11:55 PM
who's rafer?

SequSpur
04-15-2008, 11:56 PM
dude, we need to play the rockets.

DazedAndConfused
04-16-2008, 12:00 AM
You fucking faggot dumbshit Rockets. If you lose to the fucking Clappers you will FUCK EVERYTHING UP. The Spurs need to play the Jazz or Suns in the 1st round!!!!!!

timaios
04-16-2008, 12:10 AM
oh man

please lord, let the clippers beat the rockets tomorrow

If San Antonio win, Phoenix win & Houston lose then

3 San Antonio 56 26
4 Utah 54 28
5 Phoenix 55 27
6 Houston 54 28

Just perfect !!!
1st rnd Houston with HCA
2nd rnd New Orleans (no HCA) or Dallas (with HCA)

Louie Vega
04-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Don't know if this is good news or bad news. Appears he hurt his hamstring and will be out. Looks like the Aaron Brooks and Bobby Jackson show now.

link to yahoo sports

HOUSTON (TICKER) —Houston Rockets guard Rafer Alston is expected to miss at least one week with a strained right hamstring, the club announced on Tuesday.

After undergoing an MRI earlier at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, tests revealed that Alston has a moderate to severe strain. He sustained the injury in the third quarter of Sunday’s 111-94 home loss to the Denver Nuggets.

Alston’s injury couldn’t have come a worse time for the Rockets (54-27), who are still chasing the Utah Jazz (54-27) for fourth place and home-court advantage in the Western Conference playoffs.

The 6-2 New York playground legend is averaging 13.1 points and 5.3 assists through 74 games this season.

Uuhhh yeah that would be considered bad! Yao and Alston out? 1 and done.

Indazone
04-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Rafer is the one player that a lot of Rockets fan were secretly hoping would be out of Houston. But I don't think the Rockets play as well without him. But when Adleman and the Rockets took on Bobby Jackson who knows this offense, I think it made the Alston a bit more expendable. A lot of Rockets fans think the tandem of Brooks and B. Jackson is better than Alston and T-Mac. It would probably be most likely a backcourt of B. Jackson, T-Mac and a frontline of Scola, Battier and Deke as your starters. Brooks and Landry to fill in as subs.

Indazone
04-16-2008, 12:43 AM
You fucking faggot dumbshit Rockets. If you lose to the fucking Clappers you will FUCK EVERYTHING UP. The Spurs need to play the Jazz or Suns in the 1st round!!!!!!

yeah not out of the realm of possibility now that Alston is out. Two starters lost with injuries. Yao and Alston.

Typhoon
04-16-2008, 12:48 AM
This makes the Rockets a better team.

TDMVPDPOY
04-16-2008, 01:54 AM
any updates about Yaoza?

HOWS his treatment going with the chinese herbs and shit?

ludda
04-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Reefer is out? Isn't this a good thing for the Rox? :smokin

timvp
04-16-2008, 02:24 AM
A lot of Rockets fans think the tandem of Brooks and B. Jackson is better than Alston and T-Mac. ROFL. Leave it to Rocket Fan to drop that nugget of wisdom.

timvp
04-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Oh and please win Clippers.

http://purgatorio1.com/wp-content/pics/DogPray.jpg

P.S.

But if the Clippers win, the Jazz win and the Suns win ... we are looking at the worst possible situation:

1. Lakers
2. Hornets
3. Jazz
4. Suns
5. Spurs
6. Rockets
7. Mavericks
8. Nuggets

That's way worse than the Spurs going on the road to face Utah in the first round. The Suns on the road in the first round, followed by the Lakers? No thank you.

Obstructed_View
04-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Rafer is the one player that a lot of Rockets fan were secretly hoping would be out of Houston. But I don't think the Rockets play as well without him. But when Adleman and the Rockets took on Bobby Jackson who knows this offense, I think it made the Alston a bit more expendable. A lot of Rockets fans think the tandem of Brooks and B. Jackson is better than Alston and T-Mac. It would probably be most likely a backcourt of B. Jackson, T-Mac and a frontline of Scola, Battier and Deke as your starters. Brooks and Landry to fill in as subs.
Aside from "I don't think the Rockets play as well without him", That may be the single most insane basketball take I've ever read.

The transformation of Rafer from Skip2myTurnover into a real NBA player has been huge for the Rockets this year. In my opinion they don't have a prayer in the playoffs without him, even if Yao were healthy, and that's not overstating it. I hope he comes back ready to play.

remingtonbo2001
04-16-2008, 05:59 AM
So essentially it boils down to a Spurs or Suns loss.

DaDakota
04-16-2008, 08:18 AM
any updates about Yaoza?

HOWS his treatment going with the chinese herbs and shit?

He is using Western Medicine, he got some herbs to make it "look" good for his peeps over there.

He will be fine by June........too bad we will be fishing on Lake Fork by then.

As for Alston, a lot of us....including me, can not stand the guy.....Here is to hoping that Aarong Brooks and Bobby Jackson step up big time.

DD

Indazone
04-16-2008, 08:27 AM
He is using Western Medicine, he got some herbs to make it "look" good for his peeps over there.

As for Alston, a lot of us....including me, can not stand the guy.....Here is to hoping that Aarong Brooks and Bobby Jackson step up big time.

DD

Yeah :(

I wish we had Yao too. We will be fishing by then.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
God damn it Clippers, WIN THIS GAME

Indazone
04-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Here's hoping that with T-Mac at shooting guard and Bobby Jackson at PG will be better than Alston at PG. If not, then put in Brooks and Jackson at PG and SG and move T-Mac to SF and play Deke/Scola/Landry. Dayum I wish we had Yao. We got a big hole in the middle even with Deke.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Here's hoping that with T-Mac at shooting guard and Bobby Jackson at PG will be better than Alston at PG. If not, then put in Brooks and Jackson at PG and SG and move T-Mac to SF and play Deke/Scola/Landry. Dayum I wish we had Yao. We got a big hole in the middle even with Deke.

hopefully Tmac has a major off night

xtremesteven33
04-16-2008, 09:08 AM
hopefully Tmac has a major off night

If the Clippers beat the Rockets in Houston and we end up playing the Rockets in the First round there should be a "Thank you Clippers thread" here at Spurstalk...haha....

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-16-2008, 09:09 AM
If the Clippers beat the Rockets in Houston and we end up playing the Rockets in the First round there should be a "Thank you Clippers thread" here at Spurstalk...haha....

the game is @ Houston, now I feel there is almost no chance of this happening

xtremesteven33
04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
the game is @ Houston, now I feel there is almost no chance of this happening

dude the Clippers have talent...Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Cutino Mobley, Tim Thomas, Chris Khaman....

they have the guys who can get hot....

T-Mac hopefully will have a bad shooting night...anything can happen man....

pad300
04-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Is this FEAR that I hear? It sure sounds like a candyass, hoping and praying that his team doesn't have to play the CHAMPS... Me here thinking that the Lakers fans thought their team was INVINCIBLE... Has the Silver and Black fear gotten to you, are your balls shriveling up right now!?!

Nut up boy, you're gonna NEED it!

THE SPURS ARE COMING!!!

robbie380
04-16-2008, 10:11 AM

ma'am please calm down.

Indazone
04-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I just hope the Rockets can make some noise and play the upset darkhorse role. We want to be the Xavier or Davidson of the NBA world :D

DaDakota
04-16-2008, 11:01 AM
The Rockets will win the Clippers have nothing to play for, and it looks like both Brand and Maggette may opt out.

Man, would I like to see me some Maggette in Houston.

DD

Indazone
04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
We need a better PG and a stud SF. Battier is ok, but we need to get some stronger horses in these two positions. We got our Power Forward covered and Center positions covered although we need a better backup center for an aging Deke.

Texas_Ranger
04-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Oh... That really sucks. I hope he'll get better soon.

lefty
04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
who's rafer?

He's Alston

Indazone
04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Can't tell you how many Houston fans are secretly happy. Can't tell you how many times we have watched Alston shoot his tear drop or try to put up his dribble drive floater and cringe as we watched him put it up and "clank". Lot of fans are now calling this a blessing in disquise lol.

Although I'd rather have him. Hope he recovers quickly. Dude is really good handling the rock.

dbreiden83080
04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
If San Antonio win, Phoenix win & Houston lose then

3 San Antonio 56 26
4 Utah 54 28
5 Phoenix 55 27
6 Houston 54 28

Just perfect !!!
1st rnd Houston with HCA
2nd rnd New Orleans (no HCA) or Dallas (with HCA)

It is not likely to happen though,

We need to lose as does Phoenix and we play Houston in the 4 seed. That won't happen as the Suns are not going to lose the Blazers at home.

Or

We need to win as does Phoenix and Houston loses

Then it is 3 vs 6 matchup for us with the Rockets,

That is more possible but i don't see us winning tonight and i doubt Houston will lose to the Clippers.

Alll the other scenarios favor us playing the Suns.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-16-2008, 01:23 PM

DD

I have use such medicine before. You must talk and learn of such thing. Before I have problem with arm. I breaks it and have 2 surgery. It take 2 and half years for arm to heal right.

Then I have problem with nose. All west doctor say no problem and even tells me I imagine such thing. I explains to them I was hit by steal door that is slam in face and break nose. I also can no longer breathe the air.

Doctors say "you are crazy and imagine such thing and photo is clear"

So my mother say she know of friend that use Chinese medicine doctor. i goes to him and doctor is not Chinese but he is American :lol he have been to school in China though and become doctor there. He speak in English and Mandarin only.

I explain issue to him. He grab side of my face and says this thing like "orbiting part of face and sinus is block. You have thing calls blow out of face."

He then grab some needles and place in forehead and also on nose and then he say now I grab bone and fix. He grab face and very hard press for about 5 hour. Then he say now I give you Chinese medicine to place on tung and I do such thing.

After few day asthma problem and sinus issue and breathe problem is gone. I also not get the bad head ache. Then after this I have issue where I break foot. I remember Chinese medicine doctor and how he do for me before.

I go to western doctor to compare and he say foot is broken and must have cast. I says I will do so but first must go to appointment. I go back to chinese school doctor and he say foot is fine. He explain to cook potatto in oven. he say take potato and soak skin in the vinegar juice.

Then he say take cloth and steam hot, put potato on foot wrap in this and try stop swell area of foot. Then he say take towel and wrap in vinegar and puts this on foot area where break is. He explain drink green tea 3 times during day.

About 5 days later foot is heal! :spin No break and already is better. This is foot I can not even take pain. Just sit on bed or and lay with foot and pain is so much I can not manage. Now 5 or 6 day later can walk fine on foot no issue.

I believe very good this Chinese medicine have power.

Indazone
04-16-2008, 01:55 PM
A few thousand years of practice with results means you gotta look at that stuff seriously even though Western Medicine poo poo's this idea.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-16-2008, 02:32 PM
When is the dumb-ass media going to stop refering to Alston as a "playground legend" ?? That is so far in the past it's laughable. He is now an actual NBA player. 99% of playground legends never make it in the NBA. The two skills are not correlated.

ancestron
04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Didn't Rafer Alston stab some dude in the neck at a nightclub once?

duncan228
04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Didn't Rafer Alston stab some dude in the neck at a nightclub once?

Yes, the charges were later dropped.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2994735

Alston charged with assault in New York stabbing
Associated Press
August 28, 2007

NEW YORK -- Houston Rockets guard Rafer Alston was released without bail Tuesday after being charged with stabbing a man at a Manhattan nightspot -- his second brush with the law this month.

Alston was arraigned on felony assault charges before being released without bail. A judge ordered him to return to court Jan. 3.

His lawyer said Alston was "absolutely innocent."

The man who said he was injured told police the incident occurred at about 3 a.m. Monday after he and Alston accidentally bumped each other inside Club Stereo. During an ensuing argument, the man said, Alston slashed his neck.

The 41-year-old went to a hospital to be treated for a minor neck injury, then filed a complaint at a police precinct.

Defense attorney Alberto Ebanks said bouncers and other witnesses told him the man didn't appear to be injured when he left the club and never bothered alerting police officers who were in the area.

The arrest came three weeks after 31-year-old Alston was charged with misdemeanor assault and public intoxication in Houston.

Alston was accused of grabbing a parking attendant's arm, shaking him and spitting on him after his vehicle was towed from a lot. The attendant said Alston parked illegally and didn't pay. Alston told a Houston television station that he didn't do anything to the attendant.

The 6-foot-2 player out of Fresno State joined the NBA during the 1999-2000 season with Milwaukee. He signed with the Rockets in 2004 and averaged 13.3 points per game last season.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said the team learned of Alston's arrest Tuesday morning.

"Obviously, it is troubling that Rafer was again in a situation involving the police," Morey said in a statement. "We take these matters very seriously -- the Rockets expect all employees to represent the organization in a first-class manner. Until more facts are gathered from all parties, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/03/01/2008-03-01_rafer_alston_off_hook_in_club_feud.html

Rafer Alston off hook in club feud
By Jose Martinez
March 1st 2008

NBA player Rafer Alston has been cleared of charges that he stabbed a man in the neck outside a Chelsea nightclub.

Manhattan prosecutors asked a judge Friday to drop assault and attempted assault charges against the Houston Rockets point guard, who was accused last August of slashing a man outside Stereo on W. 29th St.

"While the victim suffered serious knife wounds, there are questions about when and where the victim was injured," said Barbara Thompson, a spokesman for the district attorney's office. "For that reason, the people are unable to prove the case against [Alston] beyond a reasonable doubt."

Alston, an eight-year NBA veteran who graduated from Cardozo High School in Queens, had been accused of stabbing 41-year-old Wilbert Ashman with a knife following a dispute at the club.

ancestron
04-16-2008, 03:39 PM
man, Sports stars get away with a lot.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Go Clippers