PDA

View Full Version : OMG, the East SUCKS...

exstatic
01-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Just looked at the standings, and if the playoffs were held today, PHI at 17-20 (3) would HOST Orlando at 19-16(6) because of the automatic division seedings. Fucking Chicago, the 8 seed, has a better record at 17-18. :lmao I take it back,. The East doesn't suck, just the Atlantic division. Not one team is over .500. :lmao

Oh yeah, Go Spurs[/content]

ShoogarBear
01-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Not to dispute your point, but Orlando would have the HCA.

HCA goes to better record, not the higher seed.

ducks
01-17-2005, 10:49 PM
it is to bad spurs could have stolen chandler from the bulls

T Park
01-17-2005, 10:50 PM
No truer words.

T Park
01-17-2005, 10:51 PM
it is to bad spurs could have stolen chandler from the bulls

yeah because we need third string centers.

SequSpur
01-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Grizzlies > Rockets>Spurs

ducks
01-17-2005, 10:59 PM
chandler is better then spurs centers off the bench without question
he is also better spurs starting center

exstatic
01-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Not to dispute your point, but Orlando would have the HCA.

Not in the first round. Division winners are 1-3 in order of records. Check the standings on nba dot com. In '02, I believe that under the old format, we won our division and got the 2 seed, but had to surrender home court in the second round to LA, the second place team in the old Pacific Divison, because they had a better record. Same thing applies, except now there are three division winners instead of two.

Solid D
01-17-2005, 11:02 PM

You got your arrowheads going the wrong way, don'cha ?

T Park
01-17-2005, 11:23 PM
only in his petite mind.

pooh
01-17-2005, 11:34 PM
The East...but where is the title at? Exactly...case closed.

Solid D
01-17-2005, 11:40 PM
The East still has scoreboard for 5 more months.

boutons
01-17-2005, 11:55 PM
sequ spur should stick all arrow head up his ass, if there's any room left

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-18-2005, 12:22 AM

Who cares. You were too much of a pooh-sy to take my bet that Detroit would win over your beloved Pacemakers.

manustarting2gd
01-18-2005, 01:02 AM
The Bulls are showing promise, with help from Manu's boy Nocioni, Chandler and Gordon. Curry is waking up and producing numbers here late as well.

MosesGuthrie
01-18-2005, 01:55 AM

which means exactly what right now?

Doesn't mean a damn thing once this season started. Being last year's champ is exactly that...last year. Detroit has to go out and earn it again.

Experiment2100
01-18-2005, 02:31 AM

The Someone's been hitting the crack pipe a little too hard forum

travis2
01-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Not in the first round. Division winners are 1-3 in order of records. Check the standings on nba dot com. In '02, I believe that under the old format, we won our division and got the 2 seed, but had to surrender home court in the second round to LA, the second place team in the old Pacific Divison, because they had a better record. Same thing applies, except now there are three division winners instead of two.

Incorrect. I got caught on this last year myself. The reason it's not obvious is that under the old format, the #2 seed always played the #7 seed...and the #2 seed ALWAYS had a better record than the #7 seed.

Division winners then best records determine seeding...seeding determines opponents...but records only determine HCA.

So ShoogarBear is correct...Orlando would host.

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 09:21 AM
duh, Travis

We have only seen this for years and years, it has not changed.

Rick Von Braun
01-18-2005, 12:26 PM
duh, Travis

We have only seen this for years and years, it has not changed.Yes, it has. I may be wrong, but I recall last year (or was the previous to the last?) the seeding position determined the HCA only in the first round, and the team record determined the HCA at later stages.

I believe this year the team record determines the HCA in all rounds.

Could someone confirm this?

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Rick, last year, as in years past, the division winners were 1 and 2 seeds. They played the 8 seed and the 7 seed in 1st round, thus they had better records and HCA.

If the 7 seed had a better record than the 2 seed(could happen if one division totally sucks, like the Atlantic this year) then they would have HCA over the higher seed.

travis2
01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes, it has. I may be wrong, but I recall last year (or was the previous to the last?) the seeding position determined the HCA only in the first round, and the team record determined the HCA at later stages.

I believe this year the team record determines the HCA in all rounds.

Could someone confirm this?

Last year, both #2 teams (LA, NJ) had better records than the #7 teams (HOU, NYK).

In '03, both #2 teams (NJ, SAC) had better records than the #7 teams (MIL, UTA).

So far, no joy on confirming your recollection.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
The top eight teams in each conference qualify for the playoffs. The division winner with the best record in each conference is seeded No. 1, the other division winners are seeded No. 2 and No. 3 and the remaining six teams are seeded Nos. 4 - 8 according to their won-lost records. (Home-court advantage in all playoff series is determined by better won-lost record, not higher seeding.)
Jim is correct.

travis2
01-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Jim is correct.

What am I, chopped liver? http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/traurig/sad-smiley-036.gif:depressed

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 01:21 PM
What am I, chopped liver? http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/traurig/sad-smiley-036.gif:depressed

No, you just did not answer Rick's question....you just said that 2 had HCA over 7.

travis2
01-18-2005, 01:25 PM
No, you just did not answer Rick's question....you just said that 2 had HCA over 7.

I answered it in my response to exstatic. Rick said he thought he recalled a non-HCA team hosting last year or the year before in the first round. What I said was that 2 had a better record than 7 in both cases.

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I answered it in my response to exstatic. Rick said he thought he recalled a non-HCA team hosting last year or the year before in the first round. What I said was that 2 had a better record than 7 in both cases.

He did not say that. How can a "non HCA" team host anything. That statement is an oxymoron.

Rick Von Braun
01-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Just to clarify some possible misunderstandings http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

Since the 2004 realignment, the HCA is determined by the team record, independently of the playoff seeding. I think this is clear for everyone.

I believe this is actually a rule change from previous years, important enough that required the NBA to explicitly clarify it in the news releases.

I recall that in previous years, the rules were as follows:

a) First round, the HCA was determined by playoff seeding.
b) Other rounds, the HCA was determined by team record (w/ tie-breakers if records were tied).

As Travis pointed out, we cannot confirm this rule with a particular playoff series because in 2002 and 2003, both 1st and 2nd playoff seeded teams had better record than the 7th and 8th teams. Nevertheless, this doesn't mean that the rule was not in place.

I remember this because of the probability (albeit very low!) that a division would suck so much and a 2nd playoff seeded would have HCA when playing a team with a better record. With only 2 divisions per conference, this event would have really low probability of actually happening.

With the realignment in 2004, the probability increased drastically, and the NBA decided to determine HCA advantage only by team record. This is because the probability of a 3rd (bad record, bad division) vs 6th (good record, good division) mismatch in the first round is higher.

I found the following on the web regarding the seeding/HCA system the previous years, although it is not officially from the NBA:

"However, the seeding system has one feature that is unusual in North American sports. Division champions are only guaranteed home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Although the playoff brackets are not reseeded, home-court advantage in later rounds is based strictly on regular-season record, without regard to whether a team won its division.
Having a higher seed offers several advantages. Since the first seed plays the eighth seed, the second seed plays the seventh seed, the third seed plays the sixth seed, and the fourth seed plays the fifth seed in the playoffs, having a higher seed generally means you will be facing a weaker team. In addition, when a team plays another team with a lower seed than them in the first round, the first team gains home court advantage, meaning that it will play more games at home than away. In later rounds, the team with the best regular season record receives home court advantage. Therefore, the team with the best record receives home court advantage throughout the playoffs."

Anyway, I don't think this is that important http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiblabber.gif

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 02:30 PM
I never remember record not determining HCA in any round.

ShoogarBear
01-18-2005, 02:36 PM

No, but since it is so rare that Jim is correct, it's always worth pointing out when it occurs.

:)

travis2
01-18-2005, 02:41 PM
No, but since it is so rare that Jim is correct, it's always worth pointing out when it occurs.

Ah...you do have a point. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 02:58 PM

Shoog, God will get you for that.

travis2
01-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Shoog, God will get you for that.

Personally, I'm thinking sainthood...:angel

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Travis, sainthood?

You mean, move over St Christopher, I could have this on my dashboard from now on then?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=44&dateline=1096666222

CHAMPS AGAIN
01-18-2005, 10:34 PM
My understanding 1st.round division winners have HCA, after that teams with better record have HCA.2001 or 2002 playoffs SPURS were division winners and the Lakers were a 4th. seed but in 2nd. round Lakers had HCA.over the SPURS.

Jimcs50
01-18-2005, 10:35 PM
No, HCA is given to best record team.

Sense
01-18-2005, 10:38 PM

I'll bet the East won't steal a title again. Lakers had a chance to win, but because of the fact that they NEVER expected to lose, they got raped.

Other than that, Pistons don't probably deserve it, they aren't that good.

travis2
01-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Travis, sainthood?

You mean, move over St Christopher, I could have this on my dashboard from now on then?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=44&dateline=1096666222

Kinda cute, dontcha think? :lol

Extra Stout
01-19-2005, 04:17 PM
From NBA.com:

Home-court advantage throughout the NBA playoffs will be based solely on regular season record, not playoff seeding, thus a divisional winner that has a higher playoff seed than an opponent will not necessarily have home-court advantage in the playoff series.

So, yes, Orlando would have HCA over Philadelphia.

This is really a bad setup, IMO. How can they justify the #6 getting HCA, when the #5 seed with a better record does not? How can they justify the #6 seed getting to play an easier first-round opponent than the #4 seed? For that matter, the #6 seed may get the easiest draw in the first round. Dumb. If my team is in fifth place, I may just tank the last few games to fall down a slot.