PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Game 82 from Utah's perspective...

roycrikside
04-16-2008, 01:58 AM
It's been written about countless times the last three days how much we need this game, how Pop has to take it seriously, how Manu has to play, etc. Actually I wrote all that stuff on here way before Game 81, but the lightbulb didn't click on for the rest of you until after the Kings game. Whatever.

Anyway, yes, we all know that being the 3 seed and getting home court against the Suns is much more preferable than being the 6th seed and being on the road against Utah, even though we have struggled mightily with the Suns since they got Snaq.

But here's a thought... what's Utah's big incentive to play hard in San Antonio?

Even if they beat us, they still have to play THE DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS in round 1. No matter how bad we look we still have the big three, the experience and only fools would underestimate us this time of year. We're not going down without a fight.

Now look at door #2 for the Jazz. Rest Williams. Rest Boozer. Rest Okur and AK. Look what you get as a prize: The Yao-less, punchless, crippled Houston Rockets.

Yeah, yeah the 22 game winning streak was cute. But gimme a break. Nobody is going to pick the Rockets to get out of round 1 regardless of who they face. In fact the other seven playoff teams would all be salivating to get them in Round 1. The other three playoff series figure to be all out wars. Whoever gets Houston will win in 5 boring games with most of them probably farmed out to NBATV.

Sure the Jazz like their home court, but if I'm Jerry Sloan I'm thinking very seriously about taking a dive and earning what amounts to a 1st round bye while the other contenders kill themselves in round 1.

As a Spurs fan I'd LOVE to play the Rockets in round 1, regardless of who had home court, but the only way it can happen is if both us and the Suns lose, so it's not to be...

The Jazz however completely control their own destiny here...

timvp
04-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Damn, bro, you are a modern day basketball Einstein. Saying the Spurs need to win games before the games are even played. Brilliant. Props :tu

Seriously though, the Jazz would be playing with fire to do that. Reasons your scenario is unlikely to happen:

1) If the Rockets lose, the Jazz would have just F'd themselves into playing the Suns without homecourt advantage in the first round. They can track it by scoreboard watching but that's not really doable during an NBA game.

2) The Jazz depend on homecourt advantage more than any team in the West. Losing to the Spurs on purpose would cost them homecourt advantage against the Rockets, Spurs and Suns. Sure it might not matter against the Rockets but the Spurs or Suns could very well be there in the WCF for the Jazz to deal with.

3) The Jazz know the Spurs are vulnerable. The Spurs haven't played back to back good games against playoff teams in I don't know how long. If you are going have to play the Spurs in the playoffs, the first round is when you want to play them. If the Jazz tank the game and then face the Spurs in the WCF, they'd have little chance. That would mean the Spurs are rolling. Add in HCA for the Spurs and Utah's strategy would have backfired.

4) Jerry Sloan don't play dat. Sloan is the coach who will keep his starters on the court when up by 20 points against the Grizzlies in December. He's the last coach in professional sports who would tank a game. Any other coach in the NBA, I could see it. Sloan? No way.

All that said, I hope the Jazz do tank and then the Rockets lose :hungry:

Quasar
04-16-2008, 05:15 AM
4) Jerry Sloan don't play dat. Sloan is the coach who will keep his starters on the court when up by 20 points against the Grizzlies in December. He's the last coach in professional sports who would tank a game. Any other coach in the NBA, I could see it. Sloan? No way.

Pop?

SAGambler
04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Damn, bro, you are a modern day basketball Einstein. Saying the Spurs need to win games before the games are even played. Brilliant. Props :tu

Seriously though, the Jazz would be playing with fire to do that. Reasons your scenario is unlikely to happen:

1) If the Rockets lose, the Jazz would have just F'd themselves into playing the Suns without homecourt advantage in the first round. They can track it by scoreboard watching but that's not really doable during an NBA game.

2) The Jazz depend on homecourt advantage more than any team in the West. Losing to the Spurs on purpose would cost them homecourt advantage against the Rockets, Spurs and Suns. Sure it might not matter against the Rockets but the Spurs or Suns could very well be there in the WCF for the Jazz to deal with.

3) The Jazz know the Spurs are vulnerable. The Spurs haven't played back to back good games against playoff teams in I don't know how long. If you are going have to play the Spurs in the playoffs, the first round is when you want to play them. If the Jazz tank the game and then face the Spurs in the WCF, they'd have little chance. That would mean the Spurs are rolling. Add in HCA for the Spurs and Utah's strategy would have backfired.

All that said, I hope the Jazz do tank and then the Rockets lose :hungry:

Totally agree with that assessment. Sloan don't tank games. That is a given.

balli
04-16-2008, 08:30 AM

It's not only Sloan though. After we beat HOU two nights ago they were in the locker room interviewing Korver and they asked him about this situation. He seemed almost offended at the notion that we tank. Deron on the other hand seems to just flat out hate you guys. After we beat you up here Deron specifically said he wanted nothing more than to do it again in San Antonio. I'm pretty sure he's ultra bitter about the playoffs last year and I think even if Sloan wanted us to tank it Deron would prevent it from happening. He just wants to stomp your throats as much as possible I think.

In conclusion: BRING IT! UTAH DOES NOT GIVE A FUCK! IT ISN'T EVEN ABOUT HOMECOURT! WE JUST WANT TO BEAT THE BEST & THAT SURE AS HELL ISN'T HOUSTON! UTAH MOTHERFUCKERS! UTAH! :hungry:

And despite how shitty the Spurs have played recently I'm sure Pop isn't about to tank either. If so, I'd lose a lot of respect for him & the team. Props to the winners of this game. Most other teams would be cowardly bitches about it.

Manu_Ginobili
04-16-2008, 08:33 AM
It's been written about countless times the last three days how much we need this game, how Pop has to take it seriously, how Manu has to play, etc. Actually I wrote all that stuff on here way before Game 81, but the lightbulb didn't click on for the rest of you until after the Kings game. Whatever.

Anyway, yes, we all know that being the 3 seed and getting home court against the Suns is much more preferable than being the 6th seed and being on the road against Utah, even though we have struggled mightily with the Suns since they got Snaq.

But here's a thought... what's Utah's big incentive to play hard in San Antonio?

Even if they beat us, they still have to play THE DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS in round 1. No matter how bad we look we still have the big three, the experience and only fools would underestimate us this time of year. We're not going down without a fight.

Now look at door #2 for the Jazz. Rest Williams. Rest Boozer. Rest Okur and AK. Look what you get as a prize: The Yao-less, punchless, crippled Houston Rockets.

Yeah, yeah the 22 game winning streak was cute. But gimme a break. Nobody is going to pick the Rockets to get out of round 1 regardless of who they face. In fact the other seven playoff teams would all be salivating to get them in Round 1. The other three playoff series figure to be all out wars. Whoever gets Houston will win in 5 boring games with most of them probably farmed out to NBATV.

Sure the Jazz like their home court, but if I'm Jerry Sloan I'm thinking very seriously about taking a dive and earning what amounts to a 1st round bye while the other contenders kill themselves in round 1.

As a Spurs fan I'd LOVE to play the Rockets in round 1, regardless of who had home court, but the only way it can happen is if both us and the Suns lose, so it's not to be...

The Jazz however completely control their own destiny here...

The Spurs have almost zero chance to play the Rockets - they blew it against the Suns at home and LA Lakers away...The Spurs will be either 3rd (beating Utah) or 6th (losing from Utah) should Houston and the Suns win today...is that simple...

41times
04-16-2008, 08:41 AM
If given a choice, i think Sloan is smart enough to know that the Houston Rockets will be an easier opponent than the Spurs in round 1. Therefore, i extpect Utah not to try as hard as they usually do.

hater
04-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Jazz will rape the Spurs. Manu won't be playing. Plus Sloan is no pussy, and his players are no pussies. They will play for the win.

balli
04-16-2008, 08:45 AM
If given a choice, i think Sloan is smart enough to know that the Houston Rockets will be an easier opponent than the Spurs in round 1. Therefore, i extpect Utah not to try as hard as they usually do.

The thing is this- Sloan is not a little bitch. Of course he knows the Rockets would be easier, but make no mistake he and we don't want an easier opponent. Real men aren't cowards that take the easy way out.

Give us the best. We'll still fuck em' up.

101A
04-16-2008, 09:26 AM
The thing is this- Sloan is not a little bitch. Of course he knows the Rockets would be easier, but make no mistake he and we don't want an easier opponent. Real men aren't cowards that take the easy way out.

Give us the best. We'll still fuck em' up.Utah has done what, exactly, ever?

I continue to take Pop at his word; the most important thing is to enter the playoffs healthy. He will most likely sit Manu, and NOT play balls out for the W tonite. He has said for a while that is how he approaches the regular season. This game is NOT NEARLY as significant as the very next one the Spurs are going to play.

Another thng, IF the Jazz win tonite, then play goes to Utah, where they NEED to hold court. Beating the Spurs 3 straight times? Tall order.

Obstructed_View
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
No team needs home court more than Utah. Nobody.

balli
04-16-2008, 10:30 AM
No team needs home court more than Utah. Nobody.

Nah, I truly don't think we need it more than anyone else. Our road situation is convoluted and misunderstood. We only suck on the road against shitty teams and most of that came in December anyway. We have a great road record against plus .500 clubs. Too lazy to look it up, but I think it's like 16-9. Luckily for us we don't have to play the Wolves or Nets in the playoffs, so I think we'll be alright.

Utah has done what, exactly, ever?

I think you're a little bitch. Don't respond to my posts.

BonnerDynasty
04-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Jazz will rape the Spurs. Manu won't be playing. Plus Sloan is no pussy, and his players are no pussies. They will play for the win.

Manu WILL be playing.

I bet.

They can track it by scoreboard watching but that's not really doable during an NBA game.

I disagree. Pop and D'Antoni did it the other night.

ata
04-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Pop?

1996-1997

Corn on the Colb
04-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Ok Ballijuana you aren't exactly the face of the Jazz here.

I AM! Or at least last year I was, because, well, I'm good like that. And you are retarded if you don't think we need HC more than anyone, if only to be at ease mentally.

We've beaten everyone on the road that we would need to (minus the Lakers and Spurs, of course. dammit) and it would be huge to play 4 out of 7 games at our place and you know it.

Or you dont....

Anybody here remember me? Haha.

LifeOnaPlate
04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Exactly. As a rabid Utah fan, I can tell you that this post is right on the money, my friend.

Corn on the Colb
04-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Exactly. As a rabid Utah fan, I can tell you that this post is right on the money, my friend.

Yup Yup.

Any Jazz fan who thinks Sloan would tank a game hasn't watched them for long enough.

balli
04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
We've beaten everyone on the road that we would need to (minus the Lakers and Spurs, of course. dammit) and it would be huge to play 4 out of 7 games at our place and you know it.

Or you dont....

I'm not saying I don't want homecourt. I'm just saying that our road record against western conference playoff teams is no worse than anybody else's who we could match up against. In fact its better than only three other teams. Way, way better than the Spurs. And Houston is done.

HOME RECORD

Utah Jazz 11-2
Los Angeles Lakers 10-3
San Antonio 10-3
New Orleans 10-4
Denver 9-3
Dallas 8-4
Houston 7-6
Phoenix 6-8

ROAD RECORD

Los Angeles Lakers 7-6
New Orleans 6-7
Houston 5-8
Utah 4-8
Phoenix 4-8
Dallas 3-10
San Antonio 3-11
Denver 1-13

OVERALL RECORD

Los Angeles Lakers 17-9
Utah 15-10
New Orleans 16-11
San Antonio 13-14
Houston 12-14
Dallas 11-14
Phoenix 10-16
Denver 10-16

Corn on the Colb
04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I realize that but it sounded to me like you were saying "Oh we don't give a fuck we'll kick anyone's ass."

So I wanted to make sure you didn't put 'we' there because it was just you haha.

But I gotcha now bro.

I know, our overall road record is crap but we didn't play actual basketball til the Korver trade (what were we, 16-16?).

What nobody realizes is our road record blows because we play to the level of our opponents (see 2 Minnesota losses, New York, New Jersey, and Miami road losses) on the road, so in the playoffs, that's a good thing.

balli
04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I realize that but it sounded to me like you were saying "Oh we don't give a fuck we'll kick anyone's ass."

Well... Just for the sake of talking shit and sounding hard I kind of was, (I'm a little too pumped for these playoffs I think) but yeah, I realize the benefit of playing at home.

Corn on the Colb
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Ha you didn't sound hard and your favorite team says Atlanta, btw. :)

balli
04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Ha you didn't sound hard and your favorite team says Atlanta, btw. :)

What? All caps and a bunch of exclamation points doesn't make you sound tough? :lol

I like ATL too and I thought they just needed the representation. I got a Jazz logo in my sig though. Maybe I should swap them since signatures only show up about 1/3 of the time.

Corn on the Colb
04-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Ha you are officially not a Jazz fan. You can't just like someone else that's blasphemy.

Sports polygamy (sp?) isn't allowed.

As a "Jazz fan" you'd think you'd understand that act. haha. Had to.

roycrikside
04-17-2008, 03:06 AM
So Timvp, I ask you... you really think Utah played hard out there? It was pretty obvious from the get go that one team wanted this game a lot more than the other. It was a win-win for both teams, we get home court, Utah gets a patsy opponent.

Just admit it, I called this.