PDA

View Full Version : iPod Video Conversion

Mixability
04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm trying to consolidate all of my son's DVD's that he watches in the truck to a more reasonable state. We currently lug around a case logic case with about 50 DVDs anytime we go anywhere.

I currently have a 30gig iPod Video that has my music, podcasts and pictures on it. I was looking at an adapter that would let the iPod plug into the RCA A/V jacks on the DVD player in my truck.

My question is: Is 30gig enough space to put some of his more favorite movies on it? I know most DVD to iPod converters decrease the size of files to conserve space, but I'm worried about the quality that would be output to the DVD screen if the files are optimized for the iPod screen. I'd have no problem buying a 160gb iPod Video just for his movies if that's what I have to do. Any suggestions?

balli
04-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Check out the blu-ray thread and see my posts on Archos. Or just go to this (http://www.archos.com) website. Ipods are a waste.

To answer your question. You are looking for movies in AVI format. Usually a DVD compresses to AVI at a size of about 700 mgb. That means you could put roughly 40 feature length films on your IPOD. They look near DVD quality in my opinion, even when played on my 50 inch TV. I don't know of anything that lets an Ipod hook up to a TV though. If you have no problem buying a 160 ipod, get an Archos 605 instead- it will solve all your problems.

Mixability
04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Check out the blu-ray thread and see my posts on Archos. Or just go to this (http://www.archos.com) website. Ipods are a waste.

To answer your question. You are looking for movies in AVI format. Usually a DVD compresses to AVI at a size of about 700 mgb. That means you could put roughly 40 feature length films on your IPOD. They look near DVD quality in my opinion. I don't know of anything that lets an Ipod hook up to a TV though.

:tu I've already found the cables that let the iPod connect to the RCA jacks, so that's taken care of.

balli
04-16-2008, 11:02 AM
:tu I've already found the cables that let the iPod connect to the RCA jacks, so that's taken care of.

Cool. But yeah, compressed AVI's look great IMO. In fact I've completely stopped using DVD's (even in my home) in exchange for AVI files. In fact, they are so convenient and the quality is so near the same that I'm even downloading AVI's to replace DVD's I already own .

leemajors
04-16-2008, 11:03 AM
you can use handbrake to convert them to iPod format. It's pretty easy:

http://handbrake.fr/

Also, a tip about the cables - the iPod headphone jack that puts out audio/video is different than say, a camcorder. If you plug the white, red, and yellow cables into the inputs on a tv, it won't work right. I video comes out of the white or red one, not the yellow like with other devices. Unfortunately, I can't remember which, but it's easy to swap them and figure it out. Before I got an HDTV I just used my camcorder output cable, it worked great.

balli
04-16-2008, 11:12 AM

Also, a tip about the cables - the iPod headphone jack that puts out audio/video is different than say, a camcorder. If you plug the white, red, and yellow cables into the inputs on a tv, it won't work right. I video comes out of the white or red one, not the yellow like with other devices. Unfortunately, I can't remember which, but it's easy to swap them and figure it out. Before I got an HDTV I just used my camcorder output cable, it worked great.

Oh yeah. I forgot Ipod turns everything into their own shitty ass format. What is their video shit called? Mp4? M4A? I'd assume it's essentially the same quality as .AVI though.

leemajors
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot Ipod turns everything into their own shitty ass format. What is their video shit called? Mp4? M4A? I'd assume it's essentially the same quality as .AVI though.
the newer ones are h264, but it's essentially the same as an mp4. The iPhone and newer iPods can output at 480i, and look badass. Archos might actually sell some product if their designs weren't so bulky and clunky.

Mixability
04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
That archos tv+ looks like what I need. Alot more space. It should have an OS that should let me access it on the screen and without a PC, right?

MoSpur
04-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I have a 30gig ipod. I have a total of 16 movies on it, plus a couple of shows and tons of music. I don't know how many songs though.

balli
04-16-2008, 12:15 PM
That archos tv+ looks like what I need. Alot more space. It should have an OS that should let me access it on the screen and without a PC, right?

I don't really know much about the Archos TV, but I'm sure that it would. I don't think Archos would make you keep a computer or wireless signal by your TV just to make it work with cables. At least I'd hope not. My 605 wifi has a killer OS. Not as smooth or as graphically cool looking as Ipod's but in terms of functionality, it is 100% perfect. I do know the reviewers for the TV thing have been absolutely amazed by it.

Mixability
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I'll probably just buy the a/v cable for the iPod to try out the quality first. If the quality is good, I'll see how many movies I can fit on it. If space is an issue, then I'll have to decide between a 160g iPod, the 250g Archos tv or the 160g Archos 705.

balli
04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Cool. Good luck.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Archos might actually sell some product if their designs weren't so bulky and clunky.it looks like the remote for a remote control car.

leemajors
04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I'll probably just buy the a/v cable for the iPod to try out the quality first. If the quality is good, I'll see how many movies I can fit on it. If space is an issue, then I'll have to decide between a 160g iPod, the 250g Archos tv or the 160g Archos 705.
if you have a camcorder cable with a/v cable ends on it, that will work. I wouldn't buy the Apple one unless you felt compelled to pay $30-40 for it. If you got the 160GB iPod, the component cable is a good investment, but the 30GB one you already have should work very well for what you want to do.

Mixability
04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
if you have a camcorder cable with a/v cable ends on it, that will work. I wouldn't buy the Apple one unless you felt compelled to pay $30-40 for it. If you got the 160GB iPod, the component cable is a good investment, but the 30GB one you already have should work very well for what you want to do.

a camcorder cable would plug into the iPod?

balli
04-16-2008, 12:53 PM
it looks like the remote for a remote control car.

Bigger than an ipod, I'll admit, but considering it holds 160 gigs with a touchscreen and full web-browser, I can live with it. Especially since the ipod touch that does the same thing only holds 16 gigs for about the same price.
http://gizmologia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/archos605wifi.jpg

Mixability
04-16-2008, 12:54 PM
damn, that archos even has a download where it'll rip dvds straight into it. and it has an option to add in external drives. I think I found what I need.

balli
04-16-2008, 12:59 PM
damn, that archos even has a download where it'll rip dvds straight into it. and it has an option to add in external drives. I think I found what I need.

It is really, really cool. I didn't know it did that DVD thing. Hell, maybe I have to look into getting one now. I hate converting DVD's on my computer so usually I'll just find a download somewhere. Looks like this solves that problem.

Also, they make Dish Network's DVR's and have a contract with them, so you can also wirelessly rip any and all Dish Network programming to it in a matter of minutes straight from your satellite. (If you happen to be a Dish subscriber anyway.)

leemajors
04-16-2008, 12:59 PM
a camcorder cable would plug into the iPod?
yup, fits right in the headphone jack.

Mixability
04-16-2008, 01:10 PM
It is really, really cool. I didn't know it did that DVD thing. Hell, maybe I have to look into getting one now. I hate converting DVD's on my computer so usually I'll just find a download somewhere. Looks like this solves that problem.

Also, they make Dish Network's DVR's and have a contract with them, so you can also wirelessly rip any and all Dish Network programming to it in a matter of minutes straight from your satellite. (If you happen to be a Dish subscriber anyway.)

do you have a 4th or 5th generation?

balli
04-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Fifth. My buddy got the 604 model without the touchscreen or the wifi and even then I was blown away. I've never had or wanted to deal with putting Itunes on my PC (IMO its just a totally evil and unnecessary scheme by apple) so I never had a media player until last winter. It was hell waiting for it and I almost caved to buy the 604 wifi, but I held out and when the 605 came out I was on it like white on rice.

leemajors
04-16-2008, 01:59 PM

everyone i know who has dish complains about their DVR :/

balli
04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
everyone i know who has dish complains about their DVR :/

As I don't own one I don't know much about that, but I do know I love my 605. I'd imagine Archos either makes a shitty DVR because they know it's only for Dish Network to rent out for about $5 a month or I'd imagine Dish just has a shitty OS for it. I was actually thinking about upgrading to an HD-DVR. Maybe I won't now. Do you know specifically what they don't like about it?

CuckingFunt
04-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I had a DVR when I had Dish, and I looooooooved it. I had to switch to cable when I moved because the apartment I'm allowing would only allow Dish if I stuck it on a tri-pod (which would take up all of my tiny balcony and be beaucoups ugly), and the HD-DVR I've got now sucks in comparison.

The Dish DVR was the first I ever had, so I have no idea what kind of advanced features and capabilities it may have been missing, but it was really intuitive and easy to use. I also liked that having the two tuners connected to separate TVs made it possible for me to control both of my TVs independently, but also possible to watch the stored programming in whichever room I was in when I was ready to watch it. Now I've got two boxes, each with two tuners, which has increased my storage and the amount of recording I can do at once and added the PIP option, but since I live alone and rarely store things long term, I would gladly trade those features for the ability to record something on the living room TV and watch it in the bedroom.

leemajors
04-16-2008, 04:37 PM
As I don't own one I don't know much about that, but I do know I love my 605. I'd imagine Archos either makes a shitty DVR because they know it's only for Dish Network to rent out for about $5 a month or I'd imagine Dish just has a shitty OS for it. I was actually thinking about upgrading to an HD-DVR. Maybe I won't now. Do you know specifically what they don't like about it?
well the person I know with an HD-DVR for dish likes theirs, the others don't have an HD one and can't watch something else while recording a show. I've never had a problem with my time warner DVD boxes.

CuckingFunt
04-16-2008, 04:40 PM
well the person I know with an HD-DVR for dish likes theirs, the others don't have an HD one and can't watch something else while recording a show. I've never had a problem with my time warner DVD boxes.I had a standard DVR from Dish and never had a problem with that.

tw05baller
04-16-2008, 07:09 PM
get a zune

Heath Ledger
04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
divx is the format you want,

Mixability
04-18-2008, 03:10 PM

How successful is handbrake for you? I'm just wondering if some DVD's copy protection is making hard for handbrake to rip from.

leemajors
04-18-2008, 03:43 PM
How successful is handbrake for you? I'm just wondering if some DVD's copy protection is making hard for handbrake to rip from.

it works most of the time, but it still has some bugs. I usually just download divx rips of stuff and use Videora iPod converter to convert them.

Mixability
04-18-2008, 03:52 PM
it works most of the time, but it still has some bugs. I usually just download divx rips of stuff and use Videora iPod converter to convert them.

I'm thinking of using handbrake to rip DVDs to avis to move to the Archos. Is that what it does?

leemajors
04-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm thinking of using handbrake to rip DVDs to avis to move to the Archos. Is that what it does?

yup

balli
04-18-2008, 08:51 PM

I don't know if you have qualms about downloading movies, but if you want I'll post a long set of instructions for downloading AVI's of nearly any movie on earth, without the use of software (which I consider paramount) through rapidshare.com. To get an idea of it you should check out http://forumw.org. You have to register to see what they got, but any media collector will come away impressed.