PDA

View Full Version : Travis Ford? Are you kidding me?

j-6
04-16-2008, 11:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3349529

Multiple sources have confirmed that barring unforeseen circumstances, Massachusetts coach Travis Ford is expected to be named the new head coach at Oklahoma State, ESPN's Doug Gottlieb reported.

Ford, who reached a new deal on a contract at UMass less than a week ago, planned to meet with the UMass team in Amherst on Wednesday, Gottlieb reported.

A week ago, at the Minutemen's end-of-season banquet, UMass athletic director John McCutcheon announced Ford, who had just turned down an offer from Providence, would be staying and had reached a new deal, but would not discuss its terms.

Ford led UMass to the NIT championship game this past season, where the team lost to Ohio State. He is 62-35 in three seasons at UMass.

Ford was also named as a candidate for the LSU opening, but he withdrew his name from consideration. The Tigers hired Trent Johnson on Friday.

Sean Sutton resigned from Oklahoma State after going 39-29 in two seasons. The Cowboys failed to reach the NCAA tournament in 2007 and 2008.

If Okie State's own Doug Gottlieb is reporting this, the Ford hiring sounds pretty accurate. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to explain to T. Boone who Ford is and what he's done when the first candidate was Bill Self.

Doug Collins
04-16-2008, 05:07 PM
At least he knows how to get past the first round of the NIT.

RonMexico
04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
CaptMike is nowhere to be found?

He needs to provide us with Ford's flight info so we can be sure this is true. I would expect about a 15 year contract, no-fee mutual funds, and lifetime membership to every country club in Stillwater.

Doug Collins
04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
CaptMike is nowhere to be found?

He needs to provide us with Ford's flight info so we can be sure this is true. I would expect about a 15 year contract, no-fee mutual funds, and lifetime membership to every country club in Stillwater.

I dont think they have country clubs in Stillwater, just a ton of strip clubs filled with meth addicts and the Suttons.

RonMexico
04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Ooops. I just was told it was a done deal. 4 mil signing bonus; 3.5 mil per; 15 years; trust fund for his both his kids in Boone's hedge fund, no commissions; a brand new house built at Karsten for him (Karsten is the ritzy area next to the golf course); lifetime membership to Karsten Creek (the golf course).

MajorMike
04-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Hmm, was a great PG, but I dunno about TJ Ford as a coach...

RonMexico
04-17-2008, 03:28 PM

The denial begins.

degenerate_gambler
04-17-2008, 04:13 PM

from what i've read and seen about him, he should do fine as a coach. his uptempo style will be good for the big 12.

i think the unknown with him is going to be how well he can recruit down here.

j-6
04-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Ford's a white under-40 two-time all-SEC point guard. That's instant living room cred on a house call recruiting. He'll be fine but I really thought the Pokes were going to go out and make a huge, splashy NBA money hire.

I understand Self staying put, but was Ford the second choice? Or did several ''names'' turn the job down? The talent pool isn't that thin. Baylor hired Scott Drew with about the same experience and success on his resume, and they were in the middle of the Dennahy murder scandal. Big difference between that and Pickens writing a huge check.

RonMexico
04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, CaptMike isn't on here to discuss all the insider details, so it leads me to think he's not very satisfied.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
OSU fired Sutton thinking all they had to do was cut a check to Self and it was a done deal.

Oops.

MajorMike
04-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Won't let me post the links as pics

Travis Ford and cast including Marlon Wayans (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2397542656/nm0285912)

Ford, Wayans and director Randall Miller (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2363988224/nm0285912)