PDA

View Full Version : Obama criticizes ex-President Carter's Hamas meeting

peewee's lovechild
04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Obama criticizes ex-President Carter's Hamas meeting

By Ellen Wulfhorst

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Democratic White House hopeful Barack Obama on Wednesday disagreed with former President Jimmy Carter's overtures toward Hamas, saying he would not talk to the Islamist group until it recognized Israel and renounced terrorism.

The Illinois senator, campaigning in Pennsylvania which holds the next presidential voting contest on Tuesday, told a group of Jewish leaders he has an "unshakable commitment" to help protect Israel from its "bitter enemies."

"That's why I have a fundamental difference with President Carter and disagree with his decision to meet with Hamas," Obama said. "We must not negotiate with a terrorist group intent on Israel's destruction. We should only sit down with Hamas if they renounce terrorism, recognize Israel's right to exist and abide by past agreements."

"Hamas is not a state. Hamas is a terrorist organization," he said.

Obama's opponents have criticized him for saying as president he would be willing to meet with foreign leaders who are hostile to the Unites States. Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican John McCain have called those comments naive and said such meetings would bestow credibility on those leaders.

Obama and New York Sen. Clinton are waging a tight battle for the Democratic nomination to face Arizona Sen. McCain in the November election. Obama leads in pledged delegates who will pick that nominee but the final decision may come down to party officials and dignitaries called superdelegates.

Carter, 83, is one of those superdelegates who can vote for anyone and has not said who he supports, but has hinted he favors Obama.

During his one term as U.S. president from 1977 to 1981, Carter brokered Israel's 1979 peace treaty with Egypt. The 2002 Nobel Peace Prize winner is visiting the Middle East and has angered Israeli leaders by meeting with Hamas officials and making plans to meet the group's top leader, Khaled Meshaal, in Syria.

Hamas took control of the Gaza Strip by force in June and has rejected Western demands to recognize Israel, renounce violence and accept existing Israeli-Palestinian interim peace deals. The Bush administration also opposes Carter's planned meeting with Meshaal.

Obama said the greatest threat to Israel comes from Iran and said the United States should talk to Iran directly.

"My approach to Iran will be based upon aggressive diplomacy," he said.

"What it means is that we come to the table with a very clear set of objectives and a very clear set of demands -- that Iran ceases from pursuing nuclear weapons, that it stops funding Hezbollah and Hamas, that it ends its noxious statements about Israel and the threats directed towards Israel," he said.

"The current policy of not talking is not working and I believe its time to change that," he said.

************************************************** ********************************************

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1636948020080416?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

peewee's lovechild
04-16-2008, 01:35 PM
He says he'll speak to Ahmadenejad(sp?) but he critizes Carter for speaking to Hamas.

I'm not sure one is worse than the other.

fyatuk
04-16-2008, 04:23 PM
He says he'll speak to Ahmadenejad(sp?) but he critizes Carter for speaking to Hamas.

That's what I was thinking. Iran doesn't recognize Israel, and well, don't the fund a good deal of Hamas (or is that another group I'm thinking of)?

JoeChalupa
04-16-2008, 04:37 PM

That is why I'm glad you are not running for president.

peewee's lovechild
04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
That is why I'm glad you are not running for president.

And yet, you're pushing for the guy who will "talk" to a leader of a nation that has openly called for the end and ruin of Israel, but condems talking to the Hamas leader, who calls for the same thing.

JC, I thought you were better than this.

George Gervin's Afro
04-16-2008, 09:14 PM
wasn't hamas elected democratically?

Yes they were... of course condi and the other girls were bit perplexed when that happened

ClingingMars
04-16-2008, 09:24 PM
he has the right idea, but a bit hypocritical.

- Mars

peewee's lovechild
04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
he has the right idea, but a bit hypocritical.

- Mars

Aaaaaaaaand, that was the point I was making.

ClingingMars
04-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Aaaaaaaaand, that was the point I was making.

'twas agreeing with you my friend ;)

- Mars

Cant_Be_Faded
04-16-2008, 11:54 PM
This kind of disturbs me. Thus far I haven't come across any blatant hypocracies within Obama's views. I'd be interested to hear the real Obamaites within this forum back him up on this one.

Sounds like he's losing brownie points on this one to me, unless the statements were somehow taken out of context.

Nbadan
04-17-2008, 01:32 AM
This kind of disturbs me. Thus far I haven't come across any blatant hypocracies within Obama's views. I'd be interested to hear the real Obamaites within this forum back him up on this one.

Sounds like he's losing brownie points on this one to me, unless the statements were somehow taken out of context.

What's to back up, Obama doesn't want to be painted as a Jew-hating in-the-closet-Muslim by the reich-wing talking heads....

smeagol
04-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Another peewee thread hating on Obama.

The same peewee who claims to to be a liberal . . .

peewee's lovechild
04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
'twas agreeing with you my friend ;)

- Mars

Yea, I know.

I was just saying that for the others that hadn't picked up on it.

peewee's lovechild
04-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Another peewee thread hating on Obama.

The same peewee who claims to to be a liberal . . .

When the hell did I claim that?

I'm an independent voter.

I'm moderate, although I will admit that I lean left at times.
But, I'm far from being a liberal.

peewee's lovechild
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
What's to back up, Obama doesn't want to be painted as a Jew-hating in-the-closet-Muslim by the reich-wing talking heads....

But, he'll gladly meet with Iran's President.
The same guy who said that Israel should be wiped off the map.

You make so much sense.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
It makes sense if you consider Iran is the neocon Target of the Month, and by meeting with them the first thing that may pop in the common voter's mind is "He's not neocon".

Meanwhile, the thuggish ruggish jewish lobby will be more in the mainstream if Obama meets with Hamas, who is directly involved with Israel on a daily basis.
It makes sense. But I was originally saying it looks kinda gay to me, because like pimpo said, Hamas was elected democratically, and if Obama is to back up his "Change" crap, he should go against the grain on this one too. But alas, the jewish sentiments prevail.

xrayzebra
04-22-2008, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE= ......But alas, the jewish sentiments prevail.[/QUOTE]

And their big bucks that traditionally back the
dimm-o-crap candidate. Can you say Liberal
dimms.

mrsmaalox
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Israel deals with Hamas on a daily basis thru Egyptian negotiators. BFD, Jimmy Carter is also acting as a third party negotiator. :rolleyes

Viva Las Espuelas
04-22-2008, 11:08 AM
i hope obama goes down in flames. i wish people saw through his "change". it's all hot air, folks and i don't support any candidate out there now.

dreamcastrocks
04-22-2008, 11:21 AM

Should we sit down the Taliban that are in Afghanistan right now? They are a terrorist organization that resides in Afghanistan.

peewee's lovechild
04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Should we sit down the Taliban that are in Afghanistan right now? They are a terrorist organization that resides in Afghanistan.

Why would we want to talk to the Taliban?

We should be bombing them daily.

byrontx
04-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I started to go off on a rant...

"Of course, one reason we have so many Taliban in Afghanistan is because a gaggle of idiots decided to divert resources from the war-on-terror by attacking Iraq. Compounding the stupidity, they failed to perceive the dynamics of Iraq Shiite population and the border with Iran. The neocons basically put a bow on Iraq, Iran's arch enemy, and handed it over to the mullahs."

Then realized I would be typing for hours.

I like Obama. It is a good thing for a leader to be articulate and able to inspire passion. I also like the fact that not everything he says is scripted. His gaffs come from honest commentary as opposed to "misremembering" whether or not someone was shooting at you at the airport.

Clinton, Obama or McCain; anyone one of them will be an improvement over the idiot in charge now. There's nothing wrong with talking. You can still bust some chops while you are doing it.

Nbadan
04-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Nice take Byrontx.....Hamas is Obama and the Democrat's issue and they can beat McCain over the head with it...here's why...

HcxK3YH3Mjk