PDA

View Full Version : Okur should miss game one of playoffs

DaDakota
04-16-2008, 10:13 PM
He just clocked Oberto...on purpose, that is an automatic suspension.

DD

atxrocker
04-16-2008, 10:14 PM
that was definitely a bullshit play. dirty as fuck.

DaDakota
04-16-2008, 10:18 PM
He should have been kicked out of the game and awarded a flagarent 2.....weak officiating.

I expect the league office to suspend him.

DD

GuerillaBlack
04-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Good. Pretty dumb especially on a game like this when they are trying to lose. I also heard that Deron is injured. True? Maybe I should just turn on the damn game.

Findog
04-16-2008, 10:39 PM
How was that NOT a flagrant 2? He whacked him in the face, no pretense whatsoever of going for the ball? It looked like a frustration play.

SAtown
04-16-2008, 10:52 PM
What a stupid play considering Utah tanked the game.

Trainwreck2100
04-16-2008, 11:16 PM
He may get off, he didn't hit him with a closed fist

monosylab1k
04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
This is a tad off-topic, but does anybody know if Okur smokes?

Everytime I see him and his dumpy physique and his really odd style of ball, it just makes me think he's a big time smoker. I have no idea why. But he looks like he just smokes all day and then comes to play ball for a couple hours. I really wouldn't be shocked if he came out with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth one night while shooting free throws.

Who in the NBA looks like a chain smoker? Here's my list

1. Mehmet Okur
2. Zydrunas Ilgauskas

that's really all I can think of right now.

balli
04-16-2008, 11:50 PM

Everytime I see him and his dumpy physique and his really odd style of ball, it just makes me think he's a big time smoker. I have no idea why. But he looks like he just smokes all day and then comes to play ball for a couple hours. I really wouldn't be shocked if he came out with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth one night while shooting free throws.

1. Mehmet Okur
2. Zydrunas Ilgauskas

All the euro players smoke. I heard Giricek is a fucking chimney.

Okur should be suspended. As a fan of the Jazz I hope he is not.

Findog
04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Vlade enjoyed his cigarettes. haha, for some reason mono's post made me laugh. Like he's be lighting up on a playground but the only reason he doesnt make in the arena is because it's banned.

Jack Sommersset
04-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Good God. It was a accident. Duncan went up to him, placed his tender hand on his waist, gave him a few pats in acknowledgement that is was a accident. Thats good enough for me.

The Nba Is Rigged
04-17-2008, 06:14 AM

1. Mehmet Okur
2. Zydrunas Ilgauskas

:lol

Obstructed_View
04-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Didn't Zarko Paspalj actually smoke on the bench when he was a Spur?

Fillmoe
04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
anyone have a clip of it... i have still yet to see it

resistanze
04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
rIIz9ZeP1O8

Fillmoe
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
that is just a love tap.....

monosylab1k
04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry, but I don't see this as suspension worthy. Flagrant, yes.

It looked like Oberto was bringing the ball back up, but he pumped and went back down with it. It looked like Okur swiped when he saw Oberto pump the ball up, and was going to try to knock it out of his hands, but when Oberto went back down he wound up catching him right in the face. Definitely excessive regardless of what Oberto did with the ball, but if he gets a suspension that's some BS in my opinion.

Okur was probably just a little cranky from nicotine withdrawal.

BonnerDynasty
04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
It wasn't even a hard hit. He should not be punished. After all, he doesn't wear a Bowen jersey, therefore it was a clean play.

It would have been nice to see Okur hold Oberto down by the throat for 5 seconds to acknowledge the accident though.

BonnerDynasty
04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
He may get off, he didn't hit him with a closed fist

Neither did Bas Rutten! lol

mattb_25
04-18-2008, 02:24 AM
I dunno.... I mean wasn't everyone pissed and callin for a suspension when Dirk pulled down Kirelinko? If that deserved a suspension so does this..

Obstructed_View
04-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I dunno.... I mean wasn't everyone pissed and callin for a suspension when Dirk pulled down Kirelinko? If that deserved a suspension so does this..
Dirk pulled a guy out of the air by his throat. Not the same thing. Sorry.

nkdlunch
04-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Okur is the true definition of EuroTrash

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
He should have been tossed when it happened. Are the refs allowed to review the play on the floor or do they just have to make the call between Flagrant 1 and 2 at that moment? I know the league can go back and reclassify the fouls after the fact.

I don'tt know if I'd call it a suspension worthy foul, particularly going into the playoffs. Given the flack the league took for sticking to its guns on the "Leaving the Bench" rule, I think they are probably going to exercise the discretion this situation allows them and let Okur play. But I wouldn't be surprised if the refs' have him under a microscope for the first few games either.

MajorMike
04-18-2008, 10:18 AM

He's Turkish... is Turkey part of Europe?

leemajors
04-18-2008, 10:19 AM

turkish

Dex
04-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Sorry, but I don't see this as suspension worthy. Flagrant, yes.

It looked like Oberto was bringing the ball back up, but he pumped and went back down with it. It looked like Okur swiped when he saw Oberto pump the ball up, and was going to try to knock it out of his hands, but when Oberto went back down he wound up catching him right in the face. Definitely excessive regardless of what Oberto did with the ball, but if he gets a suspension that's some BS in my opinion.

Okur was probably just a little cranky from nicotine withdrawal.

I saw it the same way Mono did.

Oberto made a motion like he was bringing the ball up, which Okur tried to anticipate and swiped at. However, at the same time Oberto tucked the ball down, leaving his face right in the path of Okur's swing. It was subtle, but definitely noticeable.

I'll admit that guy's need to be careful when swinging around like that and he probably made the move out of frustration, but I don't think Okur was intentionally trying to clock Oberto.

BonnerDynasty
04-18-2008, 11:39 AM
kind of embarrassing that oberto went down in a heap and stayed down though

I agree. The dude dropped like a sack of bricks into the Fetal position.