PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Suns (Non Spur Fans predictions)

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Who's coming out of this series?

Findog
04-17-2008, 12:20 AM
What is Manu's status? Barry's?

I'm really tempted to take the Suns.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Barry is back (had 8 points in 9 minutes against the Jazz, 3-3, with 2 of them being 3 pointers)

and Ginobili is back (had truly been healthy since the Lakers game....apparently) and went 4-4 against the Jazz.....so he looks alright.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns were favored this season, as Shaq does a great job on TD, but not so much vice versa.

Findog
04-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Barry is back (had 8 points in 9 minutes against the Jazz, 3-3, with 2 of them being 3 pointers)

and Ginobili is back (had truly been healthy since the Lakers game....apparently) and went 4-4 against the Jazz.....so he looks alright.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns were favored this season, as Shaq does a great job on TD, but not so much vice versa.

It's a tossup truthfully. If the Suns had HCA, I think you guys would be fucked. Not that either team can't win on the other's court, but you always want to play G7 at home.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 12:25 AM
It's a tossup truthfully. If the Suns had HCA, I think you guys would be fucked. Not that either team can't win on the other's court, but you always want to play G7 at home.

*thinks back to the last Spurs game 7 at home*

Do we?

lurker
Definitely going with the Suns on this one, though I'm a little biased because I like them.

Findog
The Suns getting Shaq is great for the one team that they can't beat, but it doesn't seem to work so much against everybody else. Shaq defends Duncan as well as anybody, but you guys should be able to p'n'r him to death in the 4th Q of tight games, and if he's sitting on the bench in foul trouble, even better for the Spurs.

I'm going to grudgingly say Spurs in 7, but who knows. I reserve the right to change my mind before I make final picks before Saturday.

Findog
04-17-2008, 12:26 AM
*thinks back to the last Spurs game 7 at home*

Do we?

Hey, 80% of the time, it works every time.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I just hope Pop actually does P'nR them to death, but I question his offensive sets sometimes.

To be honest, I would love to see the Spurs attempt to run and gun a bit more with Barry back, anything to take Shaq out of the game.

Findog
Wow, either San Antonio or Phoenix is done after the first round. And yet either the Jazz or Rox will be moving on to be mercykilled by the Lake Show.

Allanon
I like the Spurs and dislike the Suns and hope Spurs take care of them.

But I have to pick the Suns coming out of the matchup.

Findog
04-17-2008, 12:28 AM
I just hope Pop actually does P'nR them to death, but I question his offensive sets sometimes.

To be honest, I would love to see the Spurs attempt to run and gun a bit more with Barry back, anything to take Shaq out of the game.

In halfcourt sets, you p'n'r shaq, he's too lazy to come out and show. And yes, ironically enough, you beat the Suns now by doing to them what they did to everybody else when they had Marion.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 12:28 AM
I think the Jazz could put up a decent fight against the Lakers.

But yeah, this makes the loss for Spurs fans against LAL all the more frustrating, because the Lakers have a golden ticket to the WCF

Medvedenko
04-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Given the play of both teams as of late it's hard to predict. They each have played at a high level and each have had stretches of poor ball. I say Spurs in 7 as it will come down to home court.

Amarelooms
04-17-2008, 12:31 AM

Shaq can't beat you himself...dont double...allow him to brick 6ft shots and send him to the line. Sure he'll score 18-20 points...just dont give up open 3's and you'll be fine :elephant

Findog
I think the Jazz will lose to the Lakers. The Lakers are good enough to get one in SLC. Lakers in 6 over Utah.

Medvedenko
I think the Jazz could put up a decent fight against the Lakers.

But yeah, this makes the loss for Spurs fans against LAL all the more frustrating, because the Lakers have a golden ticket to the WCF

You never know with what the playoffs hold...but the lakers are 22-4 with Pau in the lineup and play at a high level. However if we get past the Nuggs the Jazz will be tough, however we played them well this year and beat them at home without Pau and Bynum.

Findog
04-17-2008, 12:36 AM
From a Mav fan perspective, I guess we root for Phoenix. Guy on Dallasbasketball's boards makes a good point:

I hope that series goes to seven, because then if we get past NO we either get San Antonio or Phoenix, a team with three 35+ (injury prone) year olds at their major positions after they just played a 7 game series ... I think Phoenix will run out of gas by the like the 5th game of the second round ... I don't think they have any chance of going through a whole playoff run ( meaning going through the Spurs, Dallas/NO, LA/Utah, and Boston/Detroit ) with Nash, Hill, and Shaq being as important to their success as they are .

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Shaq can't beat you himself...dont double...allow him to brick 6ft shots and send him to the line. Sure he'll score 18-20 points...just dont give up open 3's and you'll be fine :elephant

The problem is that Shaq always plays extra motivated against Duncan.

Shaq can get any shot he wants with TD on him, but when TD has Shaq on him, he's screwed.

Shaq played superb last time the teams met, and I don't really expect him to score like 8 straight points with vintage shaq moves, but he really has made a huge difference in this matchup.

The Spurs offense still worries me, and the Suns have always held the Spurs to a very very crappy shooting % (and yes, this Spur fan will tell you that Suns can play a degree of defense when they want to) this season.

My biggest fear is that Phoenix splits one of the first 2 games, wins of their home games, and then closes SA out in 6.

But then again both teams seem to play better on the other's court. SA lone win was PHX, and PHX won both games in SA.

While 2005 was a much different Suns team than now, SA took all 3 road games that year, and took games 1 and 5* last season

*Amare and Diaw left the bench at the end of game, and violated league rules resulting in a suspension.

DazedAndConfused
04-17-2008, 01:07 AM
I think SAS will come out strong and energized and win the first 1-2 games. But over the course of the series their age and inconsistency will rear its ugly head.

Jack Sommersset
04-17-2008, 01:11 AM
I want to say Suns in 5 . I just think the Suns are better,focused and more motivated then the Spurs. The Spurs don't look so good. Offense sputtered in the end and D is getting old. Nash will rip Parker. Shaq will contain Duncan plus get him in foul trouble. Amare will just destroy the Spurs on offense. The Suns shooters are better and will have better looks. Suns are going to want it more too. Suns in 5.

Killakobe81
04-17-2008, 01:13 AM
I say the Spurs in 7 provided Manu's healthy and the Spurs run pnr on Shaq's ass when he i on the court ...when he is in foul trouble than pound it ...but until the use parker and Manu to create inside force shaq to foul and then beat the Suns like you guys ALWAYS have ...

Cry Havoc
04-17-2008, 01:17 AM
I want to say Suns in 5 . I just think the Suns are better,focused and more motivated then the Spurs. The Spurs don't look so good. Offense sputtered in the end and D is getting old. Nash will rip Parker. Shaq will contain Duncan plus get him in foul trouble. Amare will just destroy the Spurs on offense. The Suns shooters are better and will have better looks. Suns are going to want it more too. Suns in 5.

:lmao

There isn't a team in the league that can beat the Spurs in 5.

HeatChamps
04-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Suns easily in 5. The spurs have no answer for Shaq or Amare while Shaq totally shuts Duncan down.

Stabbin' Cabin
04-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Don't underestimate the advantage of having a great coach (Pop) as opposed to a terrible coach (D'Antoni). That's how the Spurs beat the Suns both times despite having arguably less talent.

BonnerDynasty
04-17-2008, 01:49 AM
My head tells me Suns in 6,

My heart tells me Spurs in 7.

ElNono
04-17-2008, 01:54 AM
Suns easily in 5. The spurs have no answer for Shaq or Amare while Shaq totally shuts Duncan down.

I see now why you're a Miami Heat fan...

trueD
04-17-2008, 02:03 AM
This could be Shaq's last show, he may not have one more (respectable) season left in the tank. Nash is not getting any younger either.

Spurs are the better team all-around, but I gotta go with the the Suns super-motivation to get there this year.

Suns vs. Spurs is going to be a kickass series.

Udrihlooms
04-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Suns vs. Spurs is going to be a kickass series.

uh-oh, the last one was a hipcheck series, so is it goint to be more brutal now? Bowen literally kicking Amare's ass? :p:

tlongII
04-17-2008, 02:32 AM
The Suns will win this series in 4 or 5 games. It's a shame that it's in the 1st round though.

Bob Lanier
04-17-2008, 02:36 AM
San Antonio in 5 or 6.

mojorizen7
04-17-2008, 05:30 AM
SUNS in 7.
Stoudemire proves too much for the SPURS to handle as he manages to learn to play with 2 fouls.
T.Parker will torture the SUNS and have a great series to no avail.

O-Factor
04-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Spurs in 6

Kriz-Maxima
04-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Im going with the Spurs all the way for the west but the last couple of weeks make me feel a bit nervous for them.

mavs>spurs2
04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Have to go with Suns in 6..really not a big fan of them though. Shaq has played great against Duncan in their 2 matchups since the trade, and that's what worries me.

monosylab1k
04-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Really can't see betting against the Spurs, even as weak as they have looked lately.

Spurs in 6.

Whoever wins will beat the winner of Mavs/Hornets tho.

Indazone
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Bring out the big guns cause this is round 1. All out friggin WAR!!!

TeyshaBlue
04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Spurs in 6.

RonMexico
04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Suns in 3

Jimmy1234
04-17-2008, 04:28 PM
If Manu is at the top of his game, Spurs in seven! Duncan struggled a little bit the last games and Shaq is a tough match up for him, so it´s on Manu to carry the team.

fitzgerald
04-17-2008, 04:33 PM
I will say Spurs in 7. It will be a bloody series and whoever wins will not have a whole lot left. I would give winner of mavs/hornets the advantage.

JamStone
04-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I think this is a bad match-up for the Spurs. Even with the addition of Kurt Thomas, this might be the weakest the Spurs front court has been since Duncan was drafted. Horry likely not being much of a factor will hurt it even more. Duncan hasn't generally had to defend for 48 minutes because generally there is a big that isn't a great scoring threat on the opposing team. Now, Duncan has to guard either Amare or Duncan for most of the game. I'm sure the Suns will try to get Duncan in foul trouble by force feeding whoever Duncan is guarding. That's going to put a lot of pressure on Parker and Ginobili to carry the team. They're certainly capable but the team is very different if Duncan is out for long stretches or has to play tentative because of foul trouble.

Spurs are still too good to not be competitive. I think it goes 6 or 7 games. But, I actually think the Suns will take the series, and I'll say in 6 games. That's my prediction, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong and the Spurs win the series.

CavsSuperFan
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Nobody will shut Duncan down in a series….But are the Spurs really as banged up as they have looked this past month? If so, got to go with the Suns….

Indazone
04-17-2008, 04:57 PM

We dont care. We want either the Suns or the Spurs but how it goes to 7 games and both teams wear the other team out.

Pero
04-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Suns in 3

:lol

Allanon
04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Duncan hasn't generally had to defend for 48 minutes because generally there is a big that isn't a great scoring threat on the opposing team. Now, Duncan has to guard either Amare or Duncan for most of the game. I'm sure the Suns will try to get Duncan in foul trouble by force feeding whoever Duncan is guarding.

I think Duncan can get Duncan in foul trouble but Duncan is a great player so he can get Duncan in foul trouble too.

Also, does that mean if Duncan gets in foul trouble, he'll have to sit and the other Duncan will dominate? That's gonna be a hell of a matchup but my guess is they'll play each other right about even.

:D

Pero
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Now, Duncan has to guard either Amare or Duncan for most of the game.

Well in the latter case, I'm sure Duncan will let Duncan score on as many possesions as possible. :lol

RonMexico
04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I just played All-Star team Duncan vs. Spurs Duncan in NBA 2k8 and Duncan scored 50.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Suns in 6

Pero
04-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Well in the latter case, I'm sure Duncan will let Duncan score on as many possesions as possible. :lol

On second thought, if Amare is guarding Duncan he'll let him score too. :lol

MrChug
04-17-2008, 05:32 PM

My sentiments exactly.

JMarkJohns
04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Who's coming out of this series?

If you mean alive, then not me...

sribb43
04-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Spurs in 7 ...Shaq will get injured or aggrevate his hip and Amare will be stuck on Duncan and TD will dominate

remingtonbo2001
04-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I think Duncan can get Duncan in foul trouble but Duncan is a great player so he can get Duncan in foul trouble too.

Also, does that mean if Duncan gets in foul trouble, he'll have to sit and the other Duncan will dominate? That's gonna be a hell of a matchup but my guess is they'll play each other right about even.

:D

:lol I was wondering if anyone else noticed that

BillsCarnage
04-17-2008, 07:49 PM
I think all the pressure this time is on the Spurs. They're trying to repeat, have HCA finally and the thought of going out in the first round will add more.

The Suns have pressure only because of the Shaq trade and that lies on Kerr's shoulders more so than the team.

I'm really curious to see how the Suns play in the following rounds if they can KO the Spurs. They could really be good knowing that they've KO'd the one team they could never get by.

We'll see...

SAtown
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I think all the pressure this time is on the Spurs. They're trying to repeat, have HCA finally and the thought of going out in the first round will add more.

I agree with this. One of the major reasons why the Spurs had the upper hand in 2005 and 2007 was that they didn't have HCA, and all the pressure was on the Suns having to defend their home court. Both times the Spurs won Game 1, which made the Game 2s a little less of a hassle. This time around, winning both games at home would be HUGE, but I think they split.

The Suns have pressure only because of the Shaq trade and that lies on Kerr's shoulders more so than the team.

I think you guys have a LOT more pressure than that. I can't imagine what would happen to the Suns if they get bounced in the first round by SA.

I'm really curious to see how the Suns play in the following rounds if they can KO the Spurs.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. :hat

BillsCarnage
04-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I think you guys have a LOT more pressure than that. I can't imagine what would happen to the Suns if they get bounced in the first round by SA.
Nah, the fans will blast Kerr and probably some media types as well. The Suns will spin it as they had to start over mid season and look forward to having a full season w/ Shaq.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. :hat
Well, the key word in that phase was "if". :fro

Findog
04-17-2008, 11:04 PM
I've never been so psyched for a series my team wasn't involved in. I'm kinda tired these days, and the playoffs are about to start!

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 11:42 PM
I've never been so psyched for a series my team wasn't involved in. I'm kinda tired these days, and the playoffs are about to start!

who are you rooting for?

I'm hoping it's the Spurs cause I know you really dislike the Suns

Findog
04-17-2008, 11:46 PM
who are you rooting for?

I'm hoping it's the Spurs cause I know you really dislike the Suns

Well, if the Hornets beat us, then the Spurs ultimately. But I think we have a better shot at beating Phoenix, so let the Spurs tax them to 7 tough games and rough them up for us if we beat NOLA.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 11:51 PM
yeah, as stated a lot of times on this forum, it seems like the Shaq trade helps the Suns matchup with the Spurs very well, but everyone else, not so much.

With the Mavs and the Kidd trade it might be the exact opposite.

Indazone
04-18-2008, 12:41 AM
This is gonna be a great series. Everybit as good as the one last year with Ginobili black eye and Nash bloodied nose. This is gonna be good. Phoenix Suns vs San Antonio Spurs.

Blood shall be spilled.

Now it's really too bad the Mav's and the Lakers didn't get it on. Cause that would have been a really good series. Thinking Hornets will get knocked out in round one cause they are playoff virgins. Nuggets too for same reason.

nashzilla
04-18-2008, 06:15 AM
Spurs in 7 ...Shaq will get injured or aggrevate his hip and Amare will be stuck on Duncan and TD will dominate

the:lobt2:
series is NOT decided on the wish factor.

AZLouis
04-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Spurs in 6.

pussyface
04-18-2008, 08:14 AM
i dont care who wins this series, but let the record show that my crystal ball is telling me phoenix suns in 6.

Hemotivo
04-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Spurs in 5

bdubya
04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Spurs in 7 (6 with luck). Shaq/Amare will be a load to carry, but the Spurs are deep enough up front to limit the damage. I think Ginobili and Parker will get into the paint too often and Popovich>D'Antoni.

LakeShow
04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Suns in 6

sasysmith
04-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Honestly? No clue how this one is going to go down...

Shaq has been handling Tim Duncan well. Hill has been holding Parker back fairly well too. The last meeting with the Spurs was a good one for the Suns, but it didn't give them nearly the boost the March victory did (and I was REALLY hoping it would pump them up!).

Also, on Wednesday it looked like the Spurs flipped that infamous switch from 'Regular Season' to 'Playoff Mode'. Ginobili was back and did quite well for himself. Parker was great too.

It's very hard to call, but I have a big feeling it'll come down to a game seven. Here's hoping Shaq has enough diesel left to hold Tim down! We also need Diaw and Leandro to be on fire! Nash and Amare need to step up on their D as well! Suns in 7 is my dearest hope!

But it'll be epic no matter what!

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't get a prediction here -- I think, anyway -- but I would dispute the notion that the Spurs have more pressure on them than the Suns. At this point, the Spurs don't need validation. They want a repeat, but I think a repeat to the Spurs is not a pressure issue. The Suns, meanwhile, are seen (among the broader media at least) as both a sentimental favorite and an x's and o's favorite. The expectations in the general population seem to be that the Spurs will be fortunate to win this series, with HCA, while the Suns are expected to win the series.

I might be wrong, but I don't think a team that has already established a positive legacy and one that is broadly seen as an underdog is the one that feels the greater amount of pressure. The team that has a long history of coming up short and failing against their first round opponent strikes me as the team that has the pressure on its shoulders.

mavsfan1000
04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm guessing Suns in 6. Spurs don't seem to matchup well to this new looks Suns team. I think keeping Amare from having to guard Duncan a ton is the key as well not getting badly outrebounded. Spurs are also looking old.

mojorizen7
04-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Teams will split the first 2 games, split games 3 & 4, SUNS win game 5 in S.A.,SPURS win game 6 in PHX, and the SUNS will win the deciding game in S.A. in the mother of all games.

FromWayDowntown
04-19-2008, 11:31 AM
the mother of all games.

I'm pretty sure the mother of all games doesn't occur in the first round . . . .

RonMexico
04-19-2008, 12:33 PM
I think we're going to know a lot about this series beginning at 2 p.m. Central Time today. If it's anything like Game 1 last year, I don't know what I'll do.

bdubya
04-19-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the mother of all games doesn't occur in the first round . . . .

Any game that turns on a 3 from Duncan is pretty major, though.

Don Quixote
04-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I got this at the Sons board ...

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Wusses. Sons fans, like their team, cannot handle adversity, let alone good-natured smack.

lebomb
04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Teams will split the first 2 games, split games 3 & 4, SUNS win game 5 in S.A.,SPURS win game 6 in PHX, and the SUNS will win the deciding game in S.A. in the mother of all games.

LOL..........I dont think so. :downspin:

Amuseddaysleeper
04-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Series if far from over