PDA

View Full Version : Not gonna be a popular idea....

T Park
04-17-2008, 12:57 AM
I say start Kurt Thomas.

This is the reason, this is the series why he was traded for.
He defended O'Neal, VERY well in the last meeting against him and O'Neal only went off when single defense from Oberto.

bring Oberto off the bench to guard Diaw and or Stoudamire.

I say start Thomas, and the whole time Shaq is in, have him in with Shaq.

Also, playing hack a shaq wouldn't hurt either, although it gets Phoenix into the penalty easier and their other players are great FT shooters.

peskypesky
04-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree.

barbacoataco
04-17-2008, 01:02 AM
The only problem would be if Thomas got in foul trouble. Playing him the whole game against Shaq might not be realistic.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 01:03 AM
For every minute that Shaq is on the floor, so should KT

For every minute that Shaq is off the floor, KT should be on the bench.

timvp
04-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Oberto is the Argentine Robert Horry. You play him in the playoffs as much as possible. They were will plenty of time for Thomas on Shaq from off the bench.

I do agree with the thought that Thomas should guard Shaq a lot ... unlike the last time the two teams played. Last game Thomas guarded him much better than anyone else.

Oh and no Oberto on Shaq. Put Oberto on Amare.

Allanon
04-17-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think your idea is going to be "unpopular" at all. In fact, I'd bet Pop agrees with you as well :)

KT gets away with subtle holds and pushes, Fabricio is too green and not savvy enough for Shaq.

DazedAndConfused
04-17-2008, 01:10 AM
The Spurs might have trouble guarding Shaq because of Nash and Amare. Their P&R game is so deadly Duncan can't come over to help out. All Nash has to do is lob it over to Shaq who can usually get good position over the undersized KT and Oberto. I forsee a lot of hack a Shaq.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Oberto is the Argentine Robert Horry. You play him in the playoffs as much as possible. They were will plenty of time for Thomas on Shaq from off the bench.

I do agree with the thought that Thomas should guard Shaq a lot ... unlike the last time the two teams played. Last game Thomas guarded him much better than anyone else.

Oh and no Oberto on Shaq. Put Oberto on Amare.

Oberto would play alot, but I can guarantee you if Duncan starts on Shaq, they will force feed him to get Duncan in foul trouble. If Oberto starts out, O'Neal gets on a huge roll early, ala the game in Phoenix a few weeks ago.
Start Thomas, you put him on Shaq, let him beat him up, and you keep Duncan out of foul trouble, when Shaq goes out, bring in and play Oberto alot.

DespЏrado
04-17-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't think your idea is going to be "unpopular" at all. In fact, I'd bet Pop agrees with you as well :)

KT gets away with subtle holds and pushes, Fabricio is too green and not savvy enough for Shaq.

:elephant :elephant

Oh Lord! You just called an Argentina player too green and not savvy enough COM is going to come after you, and in this case they would be right to...You did watch Fabs in the playoffs last year perchance? The problem is he relies on court savvy and position to get going. Shaq is just too big takes up to much of the paint when he is effective, for Oberto to guard him.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:12 AM
All Nash has to do is lob it over to Shaq who can usually get good position over the undersized KT

Rewatch the last Spurs suns game.

Kurt Thomas is so damn strong in the lower and upper body, he can push shaq out from his comfort zone, and forces alot of long shots. Kurt Thomas is a fantastic low post defender and should be used at all times on Shaq.

HeatChamps
04-17-2008, 01:13 AM
LOL. Face it. Shaq owns you. Duncan turns into a big choker when he sees Shaq. I doubt this series goes past 5 games.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Speaking of P & R

How much pick and roll can we hope to see from the Spurs against the Suns?

They suck at defending the P'n'R.

I also hope to see a lot more run and gun on behalf of the Spurs, as with Barry back, I'm hoping to see a decent run and gun lineup. Anything to get Shaq off the floor, as the best way to beat the Suns, is the way they used to play with marion.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:14 AM
I think you will see Parker and the Spurs push the ball about 98% of the game. Barry being back and seemingly into form will change alot of things as well.

I see small ball being used, but the Spurs running running running to get Shaq off the court.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:15 AM
I think you pick and roll Duncan and Ginobili, Duncan and Parker to death against the Suns. The Suns are pathetic against it, and Shaq won't come out and guard it. If he does, you have Parker, Manu, ANYONE, cut to the basket for easy scores.

HeatChamps
04-17-2008, 01:16 AM
I think you will see Parker and the Spurs push the ball about 98% of the game. Barry being back and seemingly into form will change alot of things as well.

I see small ball being used, but the Spurs running running running to get Shaq off the court.
It's not small ball unless Duncan is off the floor. Shaq will get to rest as long as Duncan is out there. I don't see how a smaller lineup can be effective as you lose too much rebounding.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:18 AM
It's not small ball unless Duncan is off the floor. Shaq will get to rest as long as Duncan is out there. I don't see how a smaller lineup can be effective as you lose too much rebounding.

Uh Duncan with Udoka, Ginobili, Barry, and Parker is small ball.

Shaq will get to rest as long as Duncan is out on the court?

Huh?

Christ Heat fan, I know its two years removed, but at least ACT like you know how the NBA playoffs work!!

dastrey
04-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Start Oberto. If there is an instance where Shaq is on the floor and Amare is sitting then you definitely want Thomas in the game.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:19 AM
I think the big X factor for the suns and hes gonna be the difference between wins and losses for the Suns is Grant Hill.
If the Spurs can defend him better than they have in the past, then the Spurs will be much better off. Keep him off the boards, keep him shooting long outside jumpers, and don't let him get going with his fast break pull up jumpers. Also, exploit him on defense. Go at him, get him in foul trouble, get him out of the game.

HeatChamps
04-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Uh Duncan with Udoka, Ginobili, Barry, and Parker is small ball.

Shaq will get to rest as long as Duncan is out on the court?

Huh?

Christ Heat fan, I know its two years removed, but at least ACT like you know how the NBA playoffs work!!
Duncan is fundamentally sound but he isn't going to run Shaq into the ground. That is his biggest flaw. Shaq will just make Duncan a jumpshooter as Duncan won't be able to overpower Shaq.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Duncan is fundamentally sound but he isn't going to run Shaq into the ground. That is his biggest flaw. Shaq will just make Duncan a jumpshooter as Duncan won't be able to overpower Shaq.

Exactly, you draw him out on the perimiter and go right by him.

Ball low, upfake drive with the ball high, easy layup.
When Duncan is agressive, and is fucking relentless, there is not one player in the NBA who can guard him. When he wants to pussy foot around and play offense like Rasho Nesterovich, thats when he gets in trouble against Shaq.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 01:24 AM
The thing is that Hill/Diaw can bug Parker a little bit.

Players that are long tend to irritate Parker, so while Hill maybe can't contain a Ginobili, he can do a decent job on Parker (though obviously not shut him down)

Bowen on Nash will be a huge matchup.

And of course, the battle of the benches.

DDS4
04-17-2008, 01:25 AM
TD is saavy enough to draw some cheap fouls on Shaq. Only problem: if Shaq is in foul trouble, the Suns will up the tempo which is exactly what we don't want.

Frankly, I'll be shocked if Pop does a lineup change even if it makes more sense to start KT. Pop's a creature of habit and the starting 5 has already been set in stone.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:25 AM
The thing is that Hill/Diaw can bug Parker a little bit.

Players that are long tend to irritate Parker, so while Hill maybe can't contain a Ginobili, he can do a decent job on Parker (though obviously not shut him down)

I'd welcome Grant HIll on Tony Parker.

Players that are long BUT QUICK, ala Shawn Marion, are the ones that give Tony Problems.

Tony needs to be all out agressive drive to the basket, don't give a fuck that Shaq is there.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
the Suns will up the tempo which is exactly what we don't want.

Incorrect.

The Spurs want to push the tempo. Look at tonight's game for an example, when the Spurs are pushing, agressive, getting out on the break and getting quick baskets, they put a SHIT LOAD of pressure on the other team. Now up tempo shooting quick jumpers? No. Up tempo easy baskets in transisition or open threes in transition? hell yes.

DDS4
04-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Incorrect.

The Spurs want to push the tempo. Look at tonight's game for an example, when the Spurs are pushing, agressive, getting out on the break and getting quick baskets, they put a SHIT LOAD of pressure on the other team. Now up tempo shooting quick jumpers? No. Up tempo easy baskets in transisition or open threes in transition? hell yes.

Uping the tempo vs. the Jazz is a whole ball of wax different vs. the Suns.

In all the victories vs. the Suns, the Spurs were selective in running against them. If the opportunities present themselves, by all means.

I'm not sure the Spurs want a track meet in the 120-130 point range.

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:41 AM
The reason the Spurs lost the game vs the Suns is slowing the tempo way down. This is a totally different Suns team and a totally different approach that needs to be taken to beating them.

SenorSpur
04-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Agree. Oberto should not start out against Shaq. He should be playing against Diaw.

DAF86
04-17-2008, 03:21 AM
I'd guard Shaq with Duncan. The refs would let Tim be a little more "physical" with O'neal than Fab or KT.

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I'd start Oberto on Amare and TD on Shaq

I think TD can pick some fouls against Amare early so start him on Shaq

GinobiliLooms
04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I say don't fuck with the starting lineup.
If Shaq is out there eating Oberto alive, then Sub in Thomas with Ginobili halfway through the first. But I dont think the starting lineup should be changed, it fucks with chemistry at the start of the game.

I thought KT would eventually become the starter after he was acquired, but it doesnt seem to have worked out that way. I say if it ain't broken, dont fix it. But then again maybe it is broken. Oh hell. I dont know.
Just got a bad feeling about messing with the starting lineup at this point. It looks panicky.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-17-2008, 04:06 PM
I could see him starting

SpurOutofTownFan
04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
The reason the Spurs lost the game vs the Suns is slowing the tempo way down. This is a totally different Suns team and a totally different approach that needs to be taken to beating them.

This is the main point people are missing out there. This team isn't the same Suns team the spurs have been beating for years. Not having Marion around and bringing Shaq changed their game style completely.

I think Pop didn't have a solid game plan when playing them the last 2 games so the spurs lost as this was a totally different team being played using the same old recipe. I don't think the game was prepared accordingly.

We can expect a lot of changes on game plan from the Spurs. In all fairness, altough the spurs's scouts where looking at all possible opponents, i'm sure they spent most of the time on the suns. I don't think they will naively try beating them doing the same one more time.

gospursgojas
04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
agree

td4mvp21
04-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I agree with Thomas being on Shaq a majority of the game. However, Pop should keep the lineup as it is (no more disrupting the chemistry) and put Oberto on Stoudemire. Duncan needs to man up and guard Shaq. Then, sub in Thomas and move Duncan over to Stoudemire.

Strike
04-17-2008, 04:39 PM

Nice sig. Are the Spurs being depicted as zombies or old?

By the way, I agree. Play KT on Shaq.

BiZNicK
04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I couldnt agree more...

Shaq OWNED Oberto in the paint the last game. I specifically remember that...

Allanon
04-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Nice sig. Are the Spurs being depicted as zombies or old?

Hahah, I think BOTH apply ... it's a cartoon I found from another thread but I think it's very fitting of the Spurs. 100 years from now, you know Timmy would come out of the grave if he could bring another title to SA and you know Spursfans would be urging him on.