PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Spurs' edge: Duncan has been waiting

some_user86
04-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Buck Harvey: Spurs' edge: Duncan has been waiting

Web Posted: 04/17/2008 12:45 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Tim Duncan sat at his locker Wednesday evening, watching a replay of an earlier game against the Jazz, when he saw himself slip on a clumsy pivot move.

Still sitting, he rolled his chair, kicking his feet against the floor like a little kid, until he was close enough to grab the remote. Then he replayed the moment, over and over again, until he had seen it 10 times.

What followed made it official.

Duncan is paying attention now, isn't he?

All the Spurs appeared interested Wednesday. It was if they put on a dress rehearsal for the playoffs, and the word Gregg Popovich used afterward to describe his team fit that.

"Purposeful," he called them.

Their problem is that their next opponent will be as purposeful. A year ago, the Spurs and Suns drew blood and anger, and now one franchise will feel disgust and failure within two weeks.

Duncan has never known this kind of loss. He's been the opposite of Tracy McGrady, getting out of the first round every year he's been in uniform, and his first time set the tone. Then, in 1998, Duncan pounded the Suns in a matchup similar to this one. Both teams won 56 games that season.

After that, Duncan didn't face that kind of first-round fear. As a high seed, the Spurs drew beatable opponents. Even last year, when the Spurs were also a third seed, their first-round opponent, Denver, won only 45 games.

This is different. The Suns had the conference's best record when they gambled on Shaquille O'Neal. Who knows? They might be the best again, even if the record doesn't show it, and what Shaq has done against Duncan suggests that.

Duncan has gone 15 for 40 in their two meetings this year, both Spurs losses. But has Shaq found a way to control Duncan? Or did these games say more about what Duncan has become in the regular season?

He has never cared for stats, and he quit caring about the Olympics after seeing FIBA officials at work. He once cared about the MVP award, as well as All-Star appearances, but he's gotten over most of that.

Haircuts, clothes, media attention — all were long ago placed in the who-cares drawer. And as the years went along, he's cared less and less about the regular season, too.

He hasn't skated, exactly, as Shaq has. He's used the regular season as a nice way to get in shape.

Duncan has never gone that far. The only four games he missed this season were after he strained an ankle and knee, and his numbers this season indicate he's been paying attention most of the time.

Still, Duncan has come to see the regular season for what it is — simply prologue for what comes later. He can get pumped up for rivalry games, but he mostly endures the first 82 games with an emotional inability to reach the gear he wants.

Little wonder the Spurs struggled at times this season. Teams often didn't double Duncan, which led to fewer open looks for the other Spurs. And over the past month, even against power teams in the conference, Duncan's body language has screamed without much ambiguity:

"Could we please get to the playoffs?"

Wednesday was about that. The Spurs understood they needed to put everything together, no matter how that impacted seeding. They needed to get Manu Ginobili back, and for Brent Barry to make a shot, and for Tony Parker to return to last June.

They needed, too, for Duncan to zone in and treat the Jazz as he did in the playoffs a year ago. He did, scoring the first basket of the game, before following with an assortment of blocks and rebounds.

One sequence: Duncan dove at Carlos Boozer, forcing a Boozer miss, and Duncan kept running. Ginobili came up with the rebound, looked up and threw a long pass to Duncan sprinting to the other end.

"Tim Duncan was running the floor," said Jerry Sloan, reacting to the sight. "He set the stage for everyone."

That's what he's done for his career. And now comes Shaq, and a rival, and a series where something has to give.

Pull up a chair.

Duncan has.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041708.01C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.3f2d3d5.html

T Park
04-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Oh shit..

duncans serious..... :)

duncan228
04-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Nice. I knew he'd rise, he always does. I can't wait to see him in action. I think we haven't seen anything yet. This could be one of Duncan's strongest post-seasons. It will have to be if the Spurs want to get out of the West.

BonnerDynasty
04-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Time to show the world this is the Tim Duncan Era, and put an end to Shaq.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2008, 02:03 AM
#21 will rise here folks believe and watch in amazement. This is one of the best players of all time and he is going to prove it when it matters most. I will never lose faith in Tim Duncan, NEVER!!!!

SenorSpur
04-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Too bad Robert Horry wont likely be playing during this series

duncan228
04-17-2008, 02:08 AM
I had to read it again. :lol
Thanks for posting it some_user86. It's what I've been waiting for, the return of Playoff Duncan. It's my favorite time of year.

some_user86
04-17-2008, 02:16 AM
I had to read it again. :lol
Thanks for posting it some_user86. It's what I've been waiting for, the return of Playoff Duncan. It's my favorite time of year.

It was my pleasure. :tu

The season begins and ends with Timmy. The team struggles when he struggles.

I believe.

Fernando TD21
04-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Nice article. :tu

:flag:

m33p0
04-17-2008, 03:20 AM
the playoffs is here....

let loose the dogs of war!

DAF86
04-17-2008, 03:40 AM
C'mon Timmy show that fat bitch who the man is :ihit

Udrihlooms
04-17-2008, 04:34 AM
San Antonio Spurs is "Team" Duncan, PERIOD.

timaios
04-17-2008, 04:43 AM
Little wonder the Spurs struggled at times this season. Teams often didn't double Duncan, which led to fewer open looks for the other Spurs. And over the past month, even against power teams in the conference, Duncan's body language has screamed without much ambiguity:

"Could we please get to the playoffs?"

:ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit

Quasar
04-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Too bad Robert Horry wont likely be playing during this series

A knee at full strength is not necessary to hip-check someone. :drunk

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2008, 05:07 AM
win or lose, we will all know who are the bandwagoners...

raspsa
04-17-2008, 05:25 AM
San Antonio Spurs is "Team" Duncan, PERIOD.
I agree. Manu and Tony are terrific but TD is the key matchup IMO. Hope he doesn't allow shaq to intimidate him the way Malone did a couple of years back. I'd like to see him take it strong against Shaq or whomever the Suns put on him.

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Great article

It's TD time now

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2006-2007/0512spurs1_duncan_wl.jpg

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
If Duncan doesn't bust the Suns ass in the playoffs we are done

td4mvp21
04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Last game was very encouraging. I began to doubt whether the Spurs even wanted to repeat after March/April. But now I know they want it as bad as ever.

Shaolin-Style
04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Anyone who doesn't know by now that Duncan plays twice as better in the playoffs than in the regular season hasn't been paying much attention. He always kicks it up a notch, while that can be said for most everyone who competes in the nba playoffs, it especially rings true for him.

duncan228
04-17-2008, 04:43 PM
...it especially rings true for him.

Nice word choice. :)

Don Quixote
04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Looks like Tim is ready to rumble.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Anyone who doesn't know by now that Duncan plays twice as better in the playoffs than in the regular season hasn't been paying much attention. He always kicks it up a notch, while that can be said for most everyone who competes in the nba playoffs, it especially rings true for him.

This is who Tim is now. He paces himself through the reg season to get himself ready to go for the playoffs and then he turns it all the way up and goes to war. Why anyone will be shocked when he plays great in this series will be beyond me?? And he will play great because he is Tim Fucking Duncan.

Supreme_Being
04-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks for posting.

FromWayDowntown
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Tim Duncan, in 25 playoff games against Shaquille O'Neal's teams:

25.8 ppg
12.9 rpg
48% FG (227-470)
73% FT (189-260)
4.1 apg
2.4 bpg

Just sayin'.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2008, 05:16 PM

25.8 ppg
12.9 rpg
48% FG (227-470)
73% FT (189-260)
4.1 apg
2.4 bpg

Just sayin'.

SHHHH

Tim is Scared of Shaq. :hat

duncan228
04-17-2008, 05:19 PM

25.8 ppg
12.9 rpg
48% FG (227-470)
73% FT (189-260)
4.1 apg
2.4 bpg

Just sayin'.

Keep sayin' it FWD. :)

I don't remember being quite this excited about Duncan's Playoff performance before. He's always incredible to watch in the post-season, but I think he's really going to show us something this year. His chance to repeat is now, he'll bring everything he's got to make it happen.

I can't wait. :hungry:

duncan228
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
SHHHH

Tim is Scared of Shaq. :hat

:lmao

Let them believe it. They won't know what hit them.

RonMexico
04-17-2008, 05:21 PM

25.8 ppg
12.9 rpg
48% FG (227-470)
73% FT (189-260)
4.1 apg
2.4 bpg

Just sayin'.

Like Buck said, however, is whether the supporting cast will step up. The Sun-killers in the past have always been those weak 4th quarter defensive rotations that lead to Barry, Finley, and Bowen 3's. Naturally, however, those rotations are slow because the Suns had to double Duncan and D'Antoni played only 7 guys all year.

FromWayDowntown
04-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Like Buck said, however, is whether the supporting cast will step up. The Sun-killers in the past have always been those weak 4th quarter defensive rotations that lead to Barry, Finley, and Bowen 3's. Naturally, however, those rotations are slow because the Suns had to double Duncan and D'Antoni played only 7 guys all year.

I'm not suggesting that those numbers are the difference in the series -- a lot of things are different and those numbers hardly represent Duncan dealing with Shaq in one-on-one defensive situations. I just think the "Duncan fears Shaq" rhetoric is fairly laughable and I think the numbers are a pretty strong indication that Shaq's presence has rarely made much of a difference to Duncan's production.

That could all change this year and if it does, the Spurs are sunk.

But I'm willing to believe that it's not going to actually change.

Cry Havoc
04-17-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm not suggesting that those numbers are the difference in the series -- a lot of things are different and those numbers hardly represent Duncan dealing with Shaq in one-on-one defensive situations. I just think the "Duncan fears Shaq" rhetoric is fairly laughable and I think the numbers are a pretty strong indication that Shaq's presence has rarely made much of a difference to Duncan's production.

That could all change this year and if it does, the Spurs are sunk.

But I'm willing to believe that it's not going to actually change.

The difference between playoff Duncan and regular season Duncan is pretty simple.

Regular season: Tim runs down to post up. Shaq pushes him out. Duncan, not wanting to get tired or inflict unnecessary wear and tear, goes along with it and the Spurs struggle offensively. Shaq stays on the floor and tears it up against lesser, smaller opponents.

Post-season: Tim fights every inch with Shaq, catches the ball 8 feet from the rim, goes right at Shaq's slower defensive movement, gets the hoop and the foul, and within 10 minutes of the first quarter, Shaq has two fouls and the Suns are forced to sit him. No Marion and no Shaq, and the Suns are regulated to gunning 3s and hoping for Amare putbacks -- the same as last year.

PM5K
04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
And that's exactly why guys like Duncan and O'Neal will never be Jordan, he didn't take games off, he wanted to beat you in practice, preseason, regular season, All-Star game, Playoffs, Finals, Monopoly, whatever.

boutons_
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Is there any Spur that hasn't been in any NBA playoffs?
Ime, Ian

Is there any Spur that hasn't been in Spurs playoffs?
Kurt, Damon, Ime, Ian

Cry Havoc
04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
And that's exactly why guys like Duncan and O'Neal will never be Jordan, he didn't take games off, he wanted to beat you in practice, preseason, regular season, All-Star game, Playoffs, Finals, Monopoly, whatever.

Unless he wanted to take 2 years off to chase around a little white ball on a grassy field.