PDA

View Full Version : Official Mavericks vs. Hornets Playoff Thread (Series 0-0)

sribb43
04-17-2008, 07:36 AM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/d0/175px-Mav_logoHD.PNG vs. http://www.nba.com/media/hornets_logo.gif

(2) New Orleans Hornets vs. (7) Dallas Mavericks:

Game 1 - Sat April 19 Dallas at New Orleans 7:00PM ET ESPN
Game 2 - Tue April 22 Dallas at New Orleans 7:00PM ET TNT
Game 3 - Fri April 25 New Orleans at Dallas 8:00PM ET ESPN
Game 4 - Sun April 27 New Orleans at Dallas 9:30PM ET TNT
Game 5 * Tue April 29 Dallas at New Orleans TBD TBD
Game 6 * Thu May 1 New Orleans at Dallas TBD TBD
Game 7 * Sat May 3 Dallas at New Orleans TBD TNT

http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/0226.jpg vs.http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/1259.jpg
http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/0008.jpg vs.http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/0645.jpg
http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/1041.jpg vs.http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/0450.jpg
http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/0349.jpg vs.http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/1030.jpg
http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/0268.jpg vs.http://online.2ksports.com/static/img/titles/NBA2K8/players/0801.jpg

Texas_Ranger
04-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Hmm... This should be a great series. I'll say that the Mavs will defeat the Hornets in 6.

bdictjames
04-17-2008, 07:47 AM
I love the Mavs' chances. 6 games it goes, for the Mavericks, if Kidd plays THAT well.

mavs>spurs2
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Mavs in 6 for me as well. I think Paul was really exposed last night, he's a good player but not league MVP material. He's beginning to become waaaay overhyped without any accomplishments to back him up. If Kidd does a decent job against him then the Mavs should win this one fairly easily.

monosylab1k
04-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Hornets in 6.

Dirk is such a fucking dumbass. Telling everyone in the media how they wanted the Hornets??????

"Hey CP3, here's some bulletin board material. Oh, and I'm also a pussy who doesn't want to play Kobe."

Mavs are cooked.

Findog
04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
It really is a tossup. Hornets in 7 if we can't steal one in the Big Easy, Mavs in 6 if we can. I think the AAC is going to be a big advantage.

CavsSuperFan
04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
I don’t see the Mavs getting past the Hornets…

Allanon
04-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Great job on the intro.

Hornets have been choking lately when they needed to win. Mavs always wait til the last minute to win a game and they'll lose 1-2 games because of this.

Both teams have similar defense but the Mavs have the savvy to win.

island_dude
04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I don’t see the Mavs getting past the Hornets…

I don't see the Cavs getting past the Wizards!

Indazone
04-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Actually I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually think the Mavs can take out the Hornets.

island_dude
04-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Hornets in 6.

Dirk is such a fucking dumbass. Telling everyone in the media how they wanted the Hornets??????

"Hey CP3, here's some bulletin board material. Oh, and I'm also a pussy who doesn't want to play Kobe."

Mavs are cooked.

Yeah, some pussy who lead his team into the playoffs with a bad ankle.

The_Game
04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
mavs are a bunch of chokers...why will it change against a team with a better team.

paul will destroy kidd

sribb43
04-17-2008, 07:07 PM
If Mavs split first 2 games in NO, then Mavs in 6 bc Hornets cant win in dallas....otherwise hornets in 7

Tradition
04-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Hornets in 6.

Mavs are cooked.

Can you blame Dirk for saying that? Kobe ass rapes the Mavs much worse than Dirk ass rapes the Lakers.

Avery didnt fare well against Riley/Nellie so that says alot when facing the best coach ever in NBA History for a 7 game playoff series. Especially for a 1st round matchup, the Hornets would be a more favorable choice than the Lakers. All in all it matters what is done on the court.

monosylab1k
04-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, some pussy who lead his team into the playoffs with a bad ankle.

Find me where Kobe/Shaq/Duncan/Garnett/any other leader would make comments about wanting to avoid a team in the first round. It's soft talk, and gives ammunition to the "Dirk is a puss" crowd. I love Dirk, but sometimes I wonder just what the hell he's thinking when he says shit like this.

monosylab1k
04-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Can you blame Dirk for saying that? Kobe ass rapes the Mavs much worse than Dirk ass rapes the Lakers.

Avery didnt fare well against Riley/Nellie so that says alot when facing the best coach ever in NBA History for a 7 game playoff series. Especially for a 1st round matchup, the Hornets would be a more favorable choice than the Lakers. All in all it matters what is done on the court.

I don't blame Dirk or anybody on the Mavs for having this mentality. I blame Dirk for saying it publicly right before going into a series with the Hornets.

Sorry, but a true leader of a true contender isn't going to admit to the media that they're frightened of anybody.

Findog
04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Find me where Kobe/Shaq/Duncan/Garnett/any other leader would make comments about wanting to avoid a team in the first round. It's soft talk, and gives ammunition to the "Dirk is a puss" crowd. I love Dirk, but sometimes I wonder just what the hell he's thinking when he says shit like this.

He's just being honest. Us fans don't want any part of the Lakers, and the Hornets are an easier first-round matchup than LA. No disrespect to New Orleans, I wouldn't start selling second-round tickets, but you ALWAYS take the easier path to advance. Maybe Pau will sprain his ankle again, maybe the unthinkable will happen and Utah will take them out, but it's probably easier to get them in the conference finals potentially than the first round.

What Dirk said was true, and an accurate description of what they think inside that locker room, but you're right that he shouldn't have said what he did. In one swoop he expressed fear of the Lakers AND demeaned their first-round opponent.

td4mvp21
04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
I think not being under the spotlight should help the Mavs for a bit. They choke when there is pressure (aka having the 1 seed or being expected to win a series). A part of me (I cannot believe I am saying this) wants the Mavs to win, but that's because I can't stand Chris Paul. I would love to watch that little arrogant bitch throw a tantrum after getting eliminated.

Findog
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Much as I hate the Suns, I think I have to lean towards them beating the Spurs in 7, not 5 or 6, but 7. We can p'n'r Shaq, and I honestly believe that having three 35+ guys (Hill, Nash, Shaq) to depend on for four straight series is going to result in them running out of gas. Let the Spurs and Suns beat each other up for seven games, and NOLA can probably beat the Suns if the Spurs can't.

I would caution Mav fans to not be cocky. The Hornets are FUCKING good. It will not be easy, and we don't have HCA and we're a shitty road team.

monosylab1k
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Also the Mavs have shown zero ability to play consistently well for a 2 week period.

monosylab1k
04-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I know they can play with anybody, but whether it's lack of focus, going jump shot happy, or Avery coming up with lamebrain coaching schemes, something ALWAYS derails the Mavs after 2 or 3 nice games.

I think they have a good shot at staying focused long enough to win 4 games. 8 will be really stretching it. 12 almost impossible. And forget about winning 16 this postseason.

SAtown
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I've never seen so much reverse jinx by a fan :lol. You learn from experiences, huh Mono?:D

Anyways, you guys will be fine. Ya'll will split in NO, and take care of shit back at the AA.

BillsCarnage
04-17-2008, 11:02 PM
It really is a tossup. Hornets in 7 if we can't steal one in the Big Easy, Mavs in 6 if we can. I think the AAC is going to be a big advantage.

The Mavs have a better chance to win in NO than the Hornets have winning in Dullas.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the first two games split and the mavs win both in Dullas, then win the series in 6.

Findog
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
The Mavs have a better chance to win in NO than the Hornets have winning in Dullas.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the first two games split and the mavs win both in Dullas, then win the series in 6.

We've been so bad on the road this year, that really is an iffy proposition.

BonnerDynasty
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I say Mavs in 7, but I hope they lose for being pussies and not taking a Bynumless laker squad to help out the West >:(

Findog
04-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm stealing this from Mike Fisher but it's funny:

THE SEVEN MOST TIRESOME STORYLINES YOU’LL GROW TIRED OF EVEN BEFORE THEY GET TIRESOME:

1. Avery returns to New Orleans, site of the Katrina disaster. Michelle Tafoya’s narration gnaws its way into our nightmare-plagued subconscious.

2. Jason Kidd is old. Chris Paul is young. So are some of the other players.

3. Clubhouse lawyer Jason Kidd once ran Byron Scott out of a job. (What will go unmentioned: Chris Paul will eventually do the same thing to him.)

4. “We’re the underdogs!’’ “No, we are!’’ “Well, my dad CAN’T beat up your dad!’’ "Well, MY mother wears army boots!''

5. Why doesn’t New Orleans use benchwarmer Ryan Bowen on Dirk? Remember Ryan Bowen? Anybody?

6. Brandon Bass, a native of Louisiana, product of LSU and former Hornet, was raised in the swamp. By alligators.

7. “This is Dallas’ chance to exorcise ghosts of playoffs past!”

8. The media sheep will make fun of Mark Cuban’s style. The media sheep will ignore the “style’’ of Hornets owner George Shinn, who a few years ago was involved in a sexual-assault suit that, two weeks after the trial, saw the woman’s husband commit suicide. (Yes. Seriously. And you thought Mark Cuban’s tight T-shirts were somehow offensive?)

Shank
04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
We saw a bit of the Chris Paul 'whiny bitch' mode in Dallas the other night. He can get flustered.

So who throws the first punch to another man's balls? Paul or Terry?

sribb43
04-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Kenny Smith's Mavs Hornets Pick (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/playoffs/dalnor)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/stacem28/untitled2.jpg

sribb43
04-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Kenny Smith's Mavs Hornets Pick (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/playoffs/dalnor)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/stacem28/untitled2.jpg

My opinons:

Backcourt: Hornets...CP3 is great but Kidd isnt a spare himself, add Terry over Mo Pete

Frontcourt: Mavs...West is playing out of his mind, Dirk should be on a mission, Damp needs to equalize Chandler. J-Ho slightly over Peja because of better D and rebounding

Bench: Mavs...Stack, Bass, George, Lue, Jones, Allen vs. Wells, Armstrong, Pargo, Wright, James. Wells and Pargo can light it up, Mike James is a Mavs killer but will he find anytime on the floor behind pargo. Mavs experience here is key over youngsters Armstong and Wright

Coach: Hornets....Avery has too many flaws

Intangibles: Mavs...Like Kenny Smith said, Mavs, especially Dirk looking to avenge '07 playoffs

Predicition: Mavs must split first 2 games...if so Mavs in 6; otherwise Hornets in 7

mavsfan1000
04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I gotta say mavs in 6. The Hornets are probably just as bad of chokers as the Mavs. Neither team look like they put fear in their opponents unlike the Lakers. Dallas caught a lucky break like Dirk said. We'll see if they pull through.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
The only prediction I can make in this series is that it will go 7. The shoes are on the other feet here, as the Hornets have been less than dominant down the stretch, either as a result of pressure/nerves or having peaked too soon. Mavs on the other hand have shown they can play great PO basketball when the don't have a ton of pressure on them, which I don't think they do here. Look at '06. Most expected a Spurs victory there and they didn't tighten up and start making mistakes until they went up 3-1 and got everyone's attention.

It'll be a good series, both teams will play hard. If I had to make the call, I'd say Mavs.

monosylab1k
04-18-2008, 11:00 AM
We saw a bit of the Chris Paul 'whiny bitch' mode in Dallas the other night. He can get flustered.

The more I see him, the less I like him. Especially after that non-incident incident he started with Bowen. He looks like he can be a massive prick.

I have a feeling I'm going to hate his guts before the end of this series.

Trainwreck2100
04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
The more I see him, the less I like him. Especially after that non-incident incident he started with Bowen. He looks like he can be a massive prick.

does it just suck to be you or what?

Indazone
04-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Ya CP3 got into it with Alston too but that ain't sayin much. :wakeup

Trainwreck2100
04-18-2008, 11:04 AM
On topic, it's the playoffs so look for Peja to go byebye

sribb43
04-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Thats how it is with most teams the mavs face in the playoffs. I liked GS during the season last year but once we faced them in the playoffs I hated them....I like the Hornets now bc I like CP3, Chandler, and Peja but once the ball tips on saturday hatred will kick in real quick with me for those guys

sribb43
04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
On topic, it's the playoffs so look for Peja to go byebye

I hope your right

DarrinS
04-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Mavs playoff experience >>>>>>>>> Hornets

Also, I would think that the Mavs beating them the way they did in the last game of the seaon, also gives the Mavs a slight psychological advantage.

Shut down CP and I think you can pretty much shut down the Hornets.

Good luck.

stretch
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Mavs playoff experience >>>>>>>>> Hornets

Also, I would think that the Mavs beating them the way they did in the last game of the seaon, also gives the Mavs a slight psychological advantage.

Shut down CP and I think you can pretty much shut down the Hornets.

Good luck.

You hit it on the head there. They need to force that ball out of his hand the second he touches it, much like they did with Kobe. Only they need to stop fucking doubling with Erick Dampier, leaving the middle wide open.

Indazone
04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Bass is way better than Dampier. OMG is was there ever a worse center playing in the NBA?

stretch
04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Bass is way better than Dampier. OMG is was there ever a worse center playing in the NBA?

you're a fucking moron

Indazone
04-18-2008, 11:19 AM
LOL but Dampier still sucks

monosylab1k
04-18-2008, 11:20 AM

yeah Kelvin Cato.

Indazone
04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
haha well I'll give ya that one on a sub .500 team. Cato did suck but I'd bet in his prime he'd still outplay Dampier.

boutons_
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Mavs could do it, more playoffs experience than the Hornets, as much talent, but Mavs will choke, but Hornets may get knee-capped by the lack of playoff experience.

If Mavs get the split @NO, will be a fantastic series.

lefty
04-18-2008, 11:33 AM
IMHO, it's a tossup.

Byron Scott should throw Mo Pete and Butler on Dirk.

If they limit Brandon Bass's production, Hornets have a good chance

Findog
04-18-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm worried that we still don't have that dominant second scorer to make teams pay for employing the Nellie/Van Gundy defense against Dirk. Can we really count on Kidd shooting 9-15 and JET scoring 30 every night? I'll take them neutralizing Dirk if it means they get raped elsewhere, but it's usually a good strategy to force the role players to step up and beat you, kind of like in baseball when you walk Bonds to face the next hitter.

lefty
04-18-2008, 11:49 AM

So who throws the first punch to another man's balls? Paul or Terry?

He got Bowen suspended just by whining like a little bitch (and Bruce did nothing)

Too much star power already....

DarrinS
04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm worried that we still don't have that dominant second scorer to make teams pay for employing the Nellie/Van Gundy defense against Dirk. Can we really count on Kidd shooting 9-15 and JET scoring 30 every night? I'll take them neutralizing Dirk if it means they get raped elsewhere, but it's usually a good strategy to force the role players to step up and beat you, kind of like in baseball when you walk Bonds to face the next hitter.

Uh, Josh Howard comes to mind.

Findog
04-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Uh, Josh Howard comes to mind.

Josh Howdumb is way too inconsistent to count on.

mavsfan1000
04-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Josh Howdumb is way too inconsistent to count on.
He is just fine as a second scorer. After that though there is a big dropoff. Terry is the most inconsistent player on this team. One game 30 points. The next game 3-15. :rolleyes

ludda
04-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I think the whole experience thing is being overblown a bit.
And the fact that everyone is favoring the Mavs, and there IS more pressure on them (trade is a "bust" if they can't advance the first round vs. Hornets are "young, playoff inexperienced")

Also I give Scott the coaching edge, and I don't think Paul will have any problems putting up his usual numbers.

So I say Hornets in 6 or 7, but if Mavs win, I wouldn't be surprised.

The Franchise
04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Mavs in 6 just because I REEEAAALLY hate Chris Paul.

Flo-Rida
04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Mavs in 6

boutons_
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Hornets pick up some playoff experience,
but will the Mavs really bounce back from playoffs 07?

I think the Mavs win in a wonderfully entertaining series, 6 or 7 games.