PDA

View Full Version : Bordow: Suns get series everyone wanted to see

phyzik
04-17-2008, 04:42 PM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/114058

Bordow: Suns get series everyone wanted to see
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist

Of all the playoff scenarios, matchups and possibilities that were bandied about the last few days, this is the one that most amused Suns coach Mike D’Antoni: The best possible opponent for Phoenix in the first round was San Antonio.

And it’s fun to play with rattlesnakes, too.

Suns defeat Blazers, prepare to take on Spurs

SLIDESHOW: View game action photos

Suns to face Spurs in NBA playoffs

Yes, I know the Suns are 2-0 against the Spurs since the Shaquille O’Neal trade. And that Phoenix went into San Antonio eight days ago and won by 19.

Two thoughts:

1. Manu Ginobili was bothered by a groin injury in that game and scored just eight points. He sat out the next three games, but he’s healthy now.

2. The Spurs are still the Spurs.

“We’re such a last thing that happened kind of society,” D’Antoni said. “It’s ridiculous, and I don’t think it’s right, either. Ginobili is going to be ready and they’ll be a very tough opponent.”

Do the Suns match up better with the Spurs than they have in the past? Of course.

“We have the big fella,” Raja Bell said.

But let’s not forget San Antonio might have won the game here in March had Tim Duncan not missed a couple of gimmes late in the fourth quarter.

And did we mention the Spurs are still the Spurs?

“We’re definitely going to have a great test right off the bat,” Steve Nash said. “... Most people thought it would be appropriate if we met in the conference finals, but we might as well get it out of the way.”

There was no easy first-round opponent for the Suns. The Western Conference is the Bataan Death March. No team will win its first-round series in a sweep, and it won’t be a surprise if a couple of the higher seeds are knocked off.

My pick for an upset: No. 7 Dallas over No. 2 New Orleans.

“Give me a team you’re going to have an easy series with,” D’Antoni said.

That’s why home-court advantage won’t mean as much as it usually does. Veteran teams like the Suns and Mavericks aren’t going to lose any sleep because they might have to play a Game 7 on the road.

No, the more relevant question concerning the Suns isn’t who they play but how they play.

If the Suns are at their best, they can beat anybody. But they also have a disturbing habit of losing focus at the most inopportune time. Case in point: Their fourth-quarter collapse against Dallas 11 days ago.

Do that against the Spurs, and they won’t be long for the postseason.

“I think we’re mentally ready to go,” D’Antoni said. “I think they have confidence amongst themselves they can get it done whether it’s home or away. That also may have bit them a little bit once in a while because they have this, ‘We’re going to get it done kind of thing.’ ”

It’s a dangerous way to live.

Maybe all the built-in animosity between the Suns and Spurs will keep Phoenix from nodding off. Then all we’ll have to worry about is a Bruce Bowen knee to the groin, a Robert Horry hip check or Amaré Stoudemire leaving the bench area during a skirmish.

As for Suns fans getting who they wanted in the first round, an age-old warning:

Be careful what you wish for.

The Spurs are still the Spurs.

jmard5
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
As for Suns fans getting who they wanted in the first round, an age-old warning:

Be careful what you wish for.

The Spurs are still the Spurs.

Exactly.

Cry Havoc
04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
unless it's in san antonio or utah

Or LA. It's hard to win playing 5 on 8 there. :bang

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Kinda sad when a Suns beat writer has more faith in the Spurs than I do :(

Having said that, I give kudos to D'antoni for his classy comments about the Spurs throughout the end of the season.

I always thought of the guy as an ass, but it's nice to see that despite the bad blood between the teams, he never disrespects the Spurs a la' Phil Jackson