PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kerr: Keys To Beating The Spurs

duncan228
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
http://suns.marqui.com/blog/suns01_04170801.aspx

Keys to Beating the Spurs
By: Steve Kerr

Well, this is what we've all been waiting for - the playoffs. Unlike the past few seasons though, we're not in a position to look very far ahead. After what has arguably been the most competitive conference race in the history of the NBA, the West's matchups look positively scary.

Anyone can beat anyone. There will be no upsets, because I'm not sure who should be favored in any of these series. Under normal circumstances, winning 55 games would have gotten us a top 3 seed and a favorable matchup in the first round. This year - it's the world champion Spurs right out of the gates.

I guess the way to look at this series is this: we knew we'd have to get through San Antonio at some point, so we might as well try to do it right away. We're playing well, we're healthy, and the memory of our recent win in San Antonio is fresh in our minds. We know we have to win at least one game in San Antonio to win the series, so our 2-0 record there in the regular season is a confidence booster.

Of course, the playoffs are not the regular season - particularly when you're playing against the champs. The Spurs are well coached, extremely tough defensively and balanced offensively. They have seen everything there is to see in the world of NBA basketball. And most of all, they have a ton of pride. This is a team that will fight til the last second.

These are some of the keys, as I see them:

1. Contain the penetration of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. In our win on April 9th in San Antonio, Parker went nuts in the first half, but we cut off his drives to the basket in the second half, which allowed us to take control of the game. Ginobili suffered through a poor shooting night, which we won't be able to count on - he'll make a lot of shots in this series. But by denying the easy baskets to those two, we can make it tough for the Spurs to score. Keeping them out of the lane is priority number one, in my mind.

2. Make Tim Duncan work for his points. We're much better equipped to do so now that we have Shaquille O'Neal. Shaq can cover Tim one on one, which means we don't have to send double team help. If Shaq can force Duncan into some low percentage jump shots, we can live with the fact that he'll probably score 20 points per game. We just can't allow Duncan to have those 10-15 shooting nights. When the Spurs shoot a high percentage, they have time to get back and set up their half court defense, which is their strength.

Of course, Shaq won't always be on Duncan. Amare will cover Tim some too, which leads me to my next key....

3. Keep Amare out of foul trouble. Amare has to be smart, especially once he picks up a foul or two. Mike D'Antoni will rotate Amare and Shaq onto Duncan, and if Amare can stay on the floor and out of foul difficulty, we'll be in pretty good shape. As with every team we play, Amare is a matchup nightmare, so the more he's on the floor the better.

4. Bench play. In last year's playoff series with the Spurs, Boris and Leandro were not very productive. The Spurs did a good job of controlling both of them. I think it's important for them - and for Gordon Giricek - to play aggressively and give our team a boost. Boris' aggressiveness in recent weeks has been fantastic. He can play a huge role for us in this series.

5. Stay poised. The Spurs are tough. Bruce Bowen will harass Steve Nash the entire series and try to frustrate everyone. We have to fight and compete, but without losing control of our emotions. It's imperative to play through any adversity, remain confident and maintain a poised aggression throughout.

We feel like we're ready to go. Our guys are confident, and they're as prepared for San Antonio as they'll ever be. This feels like a conference finals matchup, but as I said, we knew we'd have to play the Spurs eventually. We've suffered a couple of heartbreaking losses to these guys in two of the past three post seasons. Hopefully this is our year - we're due!

Thanks, as always, for supporting our team.

Go Suns!

WildcardManu
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
I hate Steve Kerr

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
fuck him

I hope the Spurs not just blow out the Suns @ PHX, but the run score up on them too, then Horry can hip check Nash right into the table again for good measure

Indazone
04-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Steve Kerr the hero of the Spurs...oh how the mighty have fallen. LOL

O-Factor
04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Steve Kerr :flipoff

CubanMustGo
04-17-2008, 08:52 PM
He forgot

6. Keep our stupid-assed players on the bench if something happens on the court.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
He forgot

6. Keep our stupid-assed players on the bench if something happens on the court.

I actually expected it to read: "Bench play: Keep'em seated"

1Parker1
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
:lol I still can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing seeing the Suns in the first round.

What would be the mental affects and ramifications to this squad next season if they lose in the FIRST ROUND in their title defense?

CubanMustGo
04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
:lol I still can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing seeing the Suns in the first round.

What would be the mental affects and ramifications to this squad next season if they lose in the FIRST ROUND in their title defense?

Maybe that would shock the FO into actually getting someone younger than 30 YO next year.

And this series is far from a slam-dunk. Last night's performance against Utah was nice but it was basically fools' gold against a Utah team that really didn't want to win. Take that game away and you have a Spurs team that has played like teh suck for the last couple weeks against a Suns team that's been playing well in the same time.

RonMexico
04-17-2008, 09:14 PM
He forgot

I think that's what he meant by "stay poised"... a nice way of putting it.

RonMexico
04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Maybe that would shock the FO into actually getting someone younger than 30 YO next year.

And this series is far from a slam-dunk. Last night's performance against Utah was nice but it was basically fools' gold against a Utah team that really didn't want to win. Take that game away and you have a Spurs team that has played like teh suck for the last couple weeks against a Suns team that's been playing well in the same time.

This is probably the best series in the first round. The NO-Dallas one could get interesting and Utah-Dallas might go 7.

CubanMustGo
04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
I think that's what he meant by "stay poised"... a nice way of putting it.

:tu

PlayoffEx-static
04-17-2008, 09:18 PM
2-7
That's the Suns home record against SA in the 2003, 2005, and 2007 playoff series. You can break down the matchups any way you want, but until PHO can defend their home court, they don't have a chance in any series against SA.

GrandeDavid
04-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I hate Steve Kerr

If you were really that chick in your profile pic, then I'd hate Steve Kerr, too, just to show you how much you mean to me. :lol

romsho
04-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Dear Steve,
Thanks for all the threes against Dallas. Now bend over cuz here it comes again.

mojorizen7
04-17-2008, 09:56 PM
2-7
That's the Suns home record against SA in the 2003, 2005, and 2007 playoff series. You can break down the matchups any way you want, but until PHO can defend their home court, they don't have a chance in any series against SA.

You're right,the SUNS do play soft at home but... Last time i checked YOU'VE got the HCA which may turn out to be a disadvantage for you guys.

missmyzte
04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Since when do the Suns have a bench to play?

CubanMustGo
04-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Since when do the Suns have a bench to play?

Check out last night's box score. They ALL played.

Sean Marks had 16 points! :downspin:

td4mvp21
04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't like Steve Kerr anymore.

ducks
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
so steve kerr is telling the world and spurs how they will play
why
and by the article he is telling suns coach what to do

dbreiden83080
04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
It's amazing how much i have come to hate that man and everytime they say "Shaq can guard Duncan" one on one you Suns fans should be getting nervous. You can bet Timmy is chomping at the bit to shove that down your throats.

DazedAndConfused
04-17-2008, 11:00 PM
It's amazing how much i have come to hate that man and everytime they say "Shaq can guard Duncan" one on one you Suns fans should be getting nervous. You can bet Timmy is chomping at the bit to shove that down your throats.

No he's really not because Shaq does not have to bite for any of his pump fakes. He is so large Duncan cannot move around him and will be forced into taking lower percentage outside shots. Face it, Shaq is one of the last defenders Duncan wants to see.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-17-2008, 11:08 PM
5. Stay poised. The Spurs are tough. Bruce Bowen will harass Steve Nash the entire series and try to frustrate everyone. We have to fight and compete, but without losing control of our emotions. It's imperative to play through any adversity, remain confident and maintain a poised aggression throughout.
ays, for supporting our team.

Don't know if you guys missed this but it's funny how he points out to Bruce Bowen in this paragraph. It's a way to tell people to focus on what Bowen does and be on the lookout for problems. It creates a mindset from the get-go

SpurOutofTownFan
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
No he's really not because Shaq does not have to bite for any of his pump fakes. He is so large Duncan cannot move around him and will be forced into taking lower percentage outside shots. Face it, Shaq is one of the last defenders Duncan wants to see.

If Tim can hit his bank shot Shaq will have to come out and face him outside the rim; hence, killing the purpose of Shaq being there and oppening for manu or tony to go in. - also it all comes down to whether Tim can hit those shots from outside and bring him out so he can go right pass him to the rim.

The most disturbing thing is Shaq on O hitting those hook shots regardless of who's covering him. If he does that the spurs will have to double team each time and make him work for the position each time.

J.T.
04-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Steve Kerr and every other talking head in the business failed to realize that Tim sandbagged this whole season.

JamStone
04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
so steve kerr is telling the world and spurs how they will play
why
and by the article he is telling suns coach what to do

I think that was probably part of the reason he wrote it, to tell D'Antoni what to do and Amare not to be stupid.

It's not like any of that is stuff the Spurs don't already know. All these playoff teams pretty much know each other's game plans, strategies, and even offensive sets and plays. There aren't many "new wrinkles" in the playoffs. It's about effort and execution. It doesn't matter that Kerr told everyone including the Spurs how they will play them.

DieMrBond
04-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Steve Kerr and every other talking head in the business failed to realize that Tim sandbagged this whole season.

The greatest trick Timmy ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist ... only to emerge in the playoffs.

WildcardManu
04-17-2008, 11:30 PM
If you were really that chick in your profile pic, then I'd hate Steve Kerr, too, just to show you how much you mean to me. :lol

:lmao

Budkin
04-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Steve Kerr trying to "analyze" the series as the freaking GM of the Suns. Pathetic.

Gros Membres!
04-17-2008, 11:42 PM

Man, I hope you're right. I think the key to taking Shaq off his game defensively is by Tim getting the ball and making decisions quickly. If Tim can do that, it will be a long (or relatively short) series for PHX.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2008, 11:52 PM

Duncan has owned Shaq in the past and he will again in this series. Think 2003 anytime Shaq got on Tim he got owned. What Tim has to do on Shaq is just attack. Not pump fake like crazy, use his quickness, Shaq is slower than Tim by alot, why do you think he is worthless defending pick and rolls?? He can get around him plenty if he just does not wait and takse it right to him and he will do just that, you'll see.

QuietDynasty
04-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Steve should go back to the drawing board for next season, the diesel is won't last long in this series, his tank is half empty.

dbreiden83080
04-17-2008, 11:57 PM
"Fromwaydowntown" put this up earlier today

"Tim Duncan, in 25 playoff games against Shaquille O'Neal's teams:

25.8 ppg
12.9 rpg
48% FG (227-470)
73% FT (189-260)
4.1 apg
2.4 bpg

Just sayin'."

Enough said about this crap lets just play ball and see what happens.

pawe
04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
The playoffs haven't even started yet and already Bruce is campaigning for beauty inside their heads. get er done Brucey!!!

Hemotivo
04-18-2008, 12:25 AM
http://suns.marqui.com/blog/suns01_04170801.aspx

Keys to Beating the Spurs
By: Steve Kerr

3. Keep Amare out of foul trouble. Amare has to be smart,
:lmao :lmao :lol :lmao
especially once he picks up a foul or two. Mike D'Antoni will rotate Amare and Shaq onto Duncan, and if Amare can stay on the floor and out of foul difficulty, we'll be in pretty good shape. As with every team we play, Amare is a matchup nightmare, so the more he's on the floor the better.

4. Bench play. In last year's playoff series with the Spurs, Boris and Leandro were not very productive. The Spurs did a good job of controlling both of them. I think it's important for them - and for Gordon :wtf Giricek - to play aggressively and give our team a boost. Boris' aggressiveness in recent weeks has been fantastic. He can play a huge role for us in this series.

DazedAndConfused
04-18-2008, 12:35 AM
8JnGCbZ503g

mojorizen7
04-18-2008, 12:50 AM
8JnGCbZ503g

Wha the fuck.?

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 01:05 AM
8JnGCbZ503g

Crazy

dbreiden83080
04-18-2008, 01:12 AM
8JnGCbZ503g

Do us a favor, don't do drugs when posting here.

SpursFan0728
04-18-2008, 01:21 AM
key is to fire kerr

cly2tw
04-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Since Bowen will sure display his Dirtiness to bait the Suns players into reactions, "poise" is the only real concern for the Suns to prevail against the defending champs.

J.T.
04-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Hey, Steve Kerr. Please turn in your Spurs, do not pass Go, do not collect $200, and rent a house next to Avery Johnson in Traitorville.

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Since Bowen will sure display his Dirtiness to bait the Suns players into reactions, "poise" is the only real concern for the Suns to prevail against the defending champs.

Yeah, wouldn't want the thug in Amare to come out.

O-Factor
04-18-2008, 05:55 AM
8JnGCbZ503g

WTF kind of bullshit posting is this and how is this related to the Spurs/Suns series. Fuckhead.

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 05:56 AM
WTF kind of bullshit posting is this and how is this related to the Spurs/Suns series. Fuckhead.

Give him a pass, he's from L.A.

nashzilla
04-18-2008, 06:02 AM
fuck him

I hope the Spurs not just blow out the Suns @ PHX, but the run score up on them too, then Horry can hip check Nash right into the table again for good measure

hahahahaha,:toast

Shred
04-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Stay classy, San Antonio.

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Stay classy, San Antonio.

The gloves come off by both sides when it's the playoffs.

temujin
04-18-2008, 06:24 AM
key is to fire kerr

Key is to keep D'antoni.

temujin
04-18-2008, 06:31 AM
I can see a lot of pick and rolls of Manu/Parker and whoever is guarded by O'neal.
Help will come (if it doesn't, it's going to be a short series) and there comes the key:
Open shots from Finley, Bowen, Udoka and yes, Barry.

Make the Suns feel the burden of beating 4 times a team that has lost one playoffs series in 5 years.
And in OT in Game 7.

Harry Callahan
04-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Translation of Kerr's Comments:

1) I hope Bennett Salvatore or Jack Nies officiates a bunch of our games a bunch of the games in the series so our interior defenders are allowed to hit Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili as they penetrate the lane without getting called for the foul. Also, it sure was nice not to have to face Tony Parker in two of our four games this year and have Manu get injured in the first quarter of another game where he could not finish the game and then was out a week.

2) I'm glad that my fat ass center is allowed to commit three fouls for every one called on him due to his reputation. Not the reality that he can't move well anymore. I just hope the Spurs don't do to us what they did to Utah the last game of the year and get Duncan and the other bigs running and beating the opposing bigs down the floor. I'm also sorry that my fat ass center can't play effectively for more than about half a game anymore.

3. I wish Amare did not suffer from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. If he didn't, maybe he would not make so many stupid mental errors on the floor and talk nonsense off of it. I do feel good about the Suns organization taking the lead in the league and allowing the mentally disabled to play our game - both the Suns and Amare have made it work (in the regular season).

4. Just once, I wish Barbosa would actually earn that fat contract he got a couple of years ago and play well in the playoffs. I hate one dimensional players who shrivel under pressure.

5. I hope our new assistant coaches (with Ivaroni gone) will remember to do their jobs and keep our hot headed, knucklehead roster from leaving the bench. I also hope Steve Nash does not try to head butt Tony Parker again this year or D up on Bruce Bowen and come out on the short end.

Additional steve thoughts:

6. I sure hope I fooled the Suns fans and Mr. Sarver by trading for the overweight, lazy center who quit on the heat and by some little miracle "got healthy" again in Phoenix.

7. Let's face it Arizona, there's no way on God's green earth that my team can get past San Antonio, New Orleans (or Dallas), Los Angeles, and finally Boston or Detroit to win that unattainable championship. My point guard is almost 34 with a bad back, my 35 year old small forward is with the long term injury history breaking down after playing so many minutes this season, and my 36 year old fat ass center cannot effectively play more than 24 minutes in a game. Seven man rotations suck.

8. It's neat that for some reason the media thinks the Spurs are the old team even though our core players are actually older. I hope we win so I can keep my job. Bye.

alamo50
04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
"3. Keep Amare out of foul trouble"

This is where we win.

:flag:

101A
04-18-2008, 07:56 AM
This is probably the best series in the first round. The NO-Dallas one could get interesting and Utah-Dallas might go 7.

Damn, the Mavs have their work cut out for them, huh?

carina_gino20
04-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't know if you guys missed this but it's funny how he points out to Bruce Bowen in this paragraph. It's a way to tell people to focus on what Bowen does and be on the lookout for problems. It creates a mindset from the get-go

That's exactly what I was thinking. The series hasn't even started and he's already trying to do mind games ala Phil Jackson.