PDA

View Full Version : Suns Ready To Take On Spurs

duncan228
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5imX_6yuzh9SkRi9VCd12HZiN2D6g

Suns ready to take on Spurs in first round of NBA playoffs

PHOENIX — The Phoenix Suns studied film of the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday.

They probably didn't need to. The Suns are almost too familiar with the Spurs, who have eliminated them in three of their last four post-season appearances.

The sixth-seeded Suns and third-seeded Spurs will renew their rivalry in Game 1 in San Antonio on Saturday afternoon. Game 2 is set for Tuesday, and the best-of-seven series shifts to the desert on April 25.

"You know how they're going to play," coach Mike D'Antoni said after a brief Suns workout at US Airways Center. "There's no secrets out there. We'll have to make little adjustments, but we know what they want to do. They know what we want to do. We'll just see who does it the best."

The Suns know all about San Antonio stars Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili. But the Suns will present a different look this year.

Phoenix acquired 7-foot-1 Shaquille O'Neal, a four-time NBA champion and three-time NBA finals MVP, specifically for series such as this one. The Suns wanted to shore up their inside game, which has long been exploited by Duncan and the bigger, more physical Spurs.

"If it doesn't work in the first round, then we'll have to go back to the drawing board next year," point guard Steve Nash said. "But we feel good. We feel like he's been a huge addition to our team. We feel like he's been strong where we were weak traditionally, and we feel like that's a great addition."

The Suns swept two regular-season games from San Antonio with Shaq in the lineup, and they took three out of four overall.

The Suns have also added veteran forward Grant Hill, who missed the regular season finale with a groin injury. D'Antoni said he thought Hill would be available for Game 1.

Phoenix is 18-11 since O'Neal's debut. He arrived Feb. 6 in the trade that sent longtime Suns star Shawn Marion to Miami.

O'Neal knows that he'll be in the spotlight when the series begins, but he doesn't view this series as a special challenge.

"Every game is a challenge," said O'Neal, who is averaging 12.9 points and 10.6 rebounds per game with the Suns. "Every post-season is a challenge. I've been programmed to handle any challenge. This is not anything that I haven't seen before. We've just got to go out and play. There's nothing to it."

O'Neal and Amare Stoudemire will take turns guarding Duncan, who has presented match-up problems for the Suns.

"You're not going to stop the guy, especially when he gets going," O'Neal said. "You've just got to try to stay in front of him and just try to make him make a tough shot."

On the offensive end, O'Neal will make it harder for the Spurs to double-team Stoudemire, who averaged 37 points per game against San Antonio in the 2005 Western Conference.

"I see a 325-pound beast inside, and we're going to give him the ball and they've got to deal with it," D'Antoni said.

"It definitely helps to have a big guy in the middle," Nash said.

The Suns could have used O'Neal in their previous playoff confrontations with San Antonio. The Spurs beat the Suns in six games in 2003 and needed only five games to eliminate Phoenix in 2005.

But last year's six-game defeat in the second round still rankles the Suns and their fans.

Phoenix was on its way to a dramatic Game 4 victory in San Antonio when Robert Horry sent Nash flying into the scorer's table. During the ensuing skirmish, Stoudemire and Boris Diaw left the bench, drawing one-game suspensions. Horry, a reserve, was suspended for two games.

The Spurs won Game 5 in Phoenix and closed out the series at home.

D'Antoni said last year's bitter experience won't serve as motivation this spring.

"You're still going to hate them," D'Antoni said. "You still have a scar there. But if we were playing New Orleans, you would hate them too. Competition overrides everything."

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
damn I hate the Suns.......................10x more then the Mavs even

but Duncan going against Shaq worries me

Borosai
04-17-2008, 08:47 PM
"[. . .] I've been programmed to handle any challenge. This is not anything that I haven't seen before. We've just got to go out and play. There's nothing to it."

So, how many times has he been swept out of the playoffs? Buggy programming perhaps.

Brutalis
04-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Good they're ready to be first in our 2008 Dustpan.

1Parker1
04-17-2008, 09:08 PM
I laughed when the Shaq deal went down. Couldn't believe that Suns felt a injured and old Shaq was their missing piece.

However, looking at how they've beaten the Spurs since he's been acquired, I'm convinced this was a genius move. Of course you could also look at it this way; Suns risked their future to build a team that can match up against a single team (i.e the Spurs), but not against other teams.

callo1
04-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Pop showed nothing in the 2 games with Shaq present.

Spurs will side pick and roll with KT like crazy...Shaq in his prime sucked at pick and roll defense.

honestfool84
04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
at least nash is positive about losing in the first round..

and i don't know who i hate more - the mavs, suns, or lakers.

can they all be tied?

marini martini
04-17-2008, 11:38 PM
The sixth-seeded Suns and third-seeded Spurs will renew their rivalry in Game 1 in San Antonio on Saturday afternoon

BTW what time?

duncan228
04-17-2008, 11:42 PM
BTW what time?

3:00 Eastern
2:00 San Antonio
1:00 Mountain :lol
12:00 Pacific

On ABC.

Banzai
04-17-2008, 11:53 PM
at least nash is positive about losing in the first round..

and i don't know who i hate more - the mavs, suns, or lakers.

can they all be tied? how about the Suns?:lol

Barbarian
04-17-2008, 11:56 PM
1:00 San Antonio

On ABC.

i think it's 2:00 san antonio time

duncan228
04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
i think it's 2:00 san antonio time

:lol And you'd be right.

Damn the Jazz, I'm still thinking Mountain time from that game.

Thanks for the catch, it's edited.

marini martini
04-18-2008, 12:00 AM
1:00 San Antonio

On ABC.

Thanks! Will be T-voing the end:toast

Tell SFF, I won't be in chat:cry:flag::flag::flag:

Barbarian
04-18-2008, 12:07 AM
:lol And you'd be right.

Damn the Jazz, I'm still thinking Mountain time from that game.

Thanks for the catch, it's edited.

Not in my quote.....BWAHAHAHAHAHa

Ignore me. Im just bored.

cly2tw
04-18-2008, 01:49 AM
I laughed when the Shaq deal went down. Couldn't believe that Suns felt a injured and old Shaq was their missing piece.

However, looking at how they've beaten the Spurs since he's been acquired, I'm convinced this was a genius move. Of course you could also look at it this way; Suns risked their future to build a team that can match up against a single team (i.e the Spurs), but not against other teams.

That's not true. The Suns before the trade weren't going nowhere. With the trade, even just for rebuilding it's at most one year delay. In addition, we need Shaq to fight against all teams with either very good bigmen or very good penetrating scorers. And almost every playoff team has some those weapons, with Spurs one of them.

DDS4
04-18-2008, 02:55 AM
IMO, this series is do-or-die for the Suns. Not just this season, but for future seasons ahead.

If they lose this series, they'll seriously start to doubt themselves, especially with the "TD stopper" in the newly acquired Big Cactus.

This is a golden opportunity to put them away for good. :hat

tlongII
04-18-2008, 03:24 AM

I agree with this. I think the Suns will beat the Spurs, but then lose in the 2nd round.

themvp
04-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Is there gonna be "Right now" commercial by Pussycat Dolls all over again? :)

J.T.
04-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Is there gonna be "Right now" commercial by Pussycat Dolls all over again? :)

Never underestimate the ability of ESPN/ABC to pick the absolute worst song to run in all of their NBA promos. On the other hand, their Monday Night Football soundtracks haven't been that bad (too bad the MNF programming sucks), maybe if they let whoever handles that music do it for the NBA playoffs it won't suck for once.

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 05:27 AM
"Lets Get It Started In Here!! Lets Get It Started In Here!! Lets Get It Started In Here!! Lets Get It Started In Here!! Lets Get It Started In Here!! Lets Get It Started In Here!! Lets Get It Started In Here!! Lets Get It Started In Here!! Lets Get It Started In Here!!"

Liked it at first then got annoying

WildcardManu
04-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Pop showed nothing in the 2 games with Shaq present.

Spurs will side pick and roll with KT like crazy...Shaq in his prime sucked at pick and roll defense.

:toast Good observation.

ancestron
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
the soundtrack for the NBA playoffs should be all death metal.

callo1
04-26-2008, 01:07 AM
3-0 and Snaq has been molested by TP and Timmy/KT and the pick 'n roll.

Series over!!

bdictjames
04-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Somehow I feel uncomfortable with Nash "There's always next year" mentality. The losing must have gone to his head.